Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

I bought Stellaris at 1.0 release, played through it a few times, gave it a thumbs down for its myriad issues on Steam and moved on to other games. Recently, I've decided I don't hate myself enough and gave it another shot, since it's apparently a great new game now with many things fixed. Another 40 hours wrapped up and the only differences I can feel are that sectors where righteously murdered, the planet tile system has been swapped/changed but I couldn't tell you why or how, and I think there's a lot of species rights things going on now? It's been a while you must forgive me.

Basically, I'm Umm-ing and Ahh-ing about spending more time on the game, and am eyeing up the DLC, which comes to $176 NZD which is comical. I've heard about Crusader Kings 2, so I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyways; Is there any chance of getting a compilation of the stuff, or should I just move along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Leal posted:

How screwed would I be if I were to set sectors to auto build? There is so many colonies, I'm a robit, may as well colonize it all. But my god I can't keep track of the current 10 colonies I got, I can't imagine tripling that.
Totally. I handled mid-40 colonies, and only automated at 50 colonies once the fallen empires where eaten. It SUCKS, but the AI is so utterly trash, as demonstrated by new protectorate assimilation and later colony AI doing retarded things. A common theme was to build one energy/mineral district on a planet with a very low max of them, then next build the energy/mineral refinery plant for 15% boost. Every. drat. Time. 'Theming' worlds makes it much easier to handle dozens of them as you only need to check in every now and then to add to the queue and can instantly know what's next on the list. Players snowball, AIs fall behind even with boosts. Don't use the automation until you are well far ahead, I'm afraid.

DoubleNegative posted:

Although I still really miss the old sector system. This whole "4 jumps away" bullshit invites too much micro.
Was there a system between 1.0 and the current sector system that's different? Cuz the only-4-core-world bullshit then mandatory sectors was... awful beyond words, I cannot fathom anyone preferring it over a kick in the balls.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a lot of talk about cool features etc that could be added, but let's be honest you gotta walk before you can run. The governor AI is competitive with a monkey throwing darts at a chart, so any sort of 'personal agenda' its given will only manifest via text box instead of ingame actions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

An important note here is that if/when Diplomacy mechanics are reworked to be brought to 2019 standards my opinion on the matter may change.
Out of curiosity, which games have the modern standards that you speak of? The most recent batch of 4X games that I've played (Stellaris Civ ES2) have all suffered from awful AI and player interactions with them have been limited as a result.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, with piracy I found that dedicated Hangar stations where a suitable stop gap measure until gateways came online. The tooltip could use rewording but it's not any worse than any of the other obtuse busywork mechanics

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If the ethic is contrary to currently what's in power, you can support a irrelevant 3rd party ethic to push out the unwanted old one. Ex if you want Authoritarian, currently have Egalitarian, can push spiritual which (depending on stuff) might replace/erase the Egalitarian and then allow you to swap policies to be more explicitly Authoritarian.

I've not tried, but maybe just randomly dicking with every other faction's requests will weaken them enough so the Auths gain support?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Has anyone done the math on efficiency of selling stuff to buy other resources v just manufacturing it yourself, and hence, how much of a bonus you need to one particular thing to make it better to sell than to manufacture the other?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but SOME number would be useful. The wiki's kinda sparse at times! First Agrarian Idyll game I had resulted in in a comical food surplus, and I was trying to figure out the midgame maths of just ditching the civic for something else and the resulting costs of transitioning and it was just kinda hopeless so I threw my hands in the air and kept it all game.

I've had other times where I was selling minerals en masse for alloys and I'm sure its disastrous but the whole point of playing good/optimal is knowing why and how much some things are costing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

xarph posted:

Random federation member: I want to declare war on this remnant of the shattered khanate to take back a few of my ancestral systems.
Me, forgetting to check alliances of said khanate because they're just space rats: yeah ok sure.
Other federation member on other side of galaxy: we guarantee that half of the khanate's independence.
Large empire to the south that has unlimited amounts of cannon fodder: sends 10k power fleets all over the loving south of my empire that are hard countered by my poo poo but there's just so many of them!

10 years of whack a mole later

War exhaustion is 45% us 100% them, but since I didn't start the war the options to press claims or settle status quo are greyed out. Also a fallen empire just woke up and declared themselves reclaimers and I really really need this war over. What did I miss besides the obvious "check alliances before you vote for war dummy" part?
This happened to me during my first playthough of 1.0, except it was ultra-broken by a logic loophole; basically the loser was physically incapable of surrendering and handing over systems it no longer controlled, and so the winning federation was locked in forever-war. So I had to basically do what Splice here said:

Splicer posted:

Press tilda/backtick to open the console
Its depressing that using the console to un-gently caress the game is still a thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Splicer posted:

Has there been a game where Tech research and Tech reveal are somewhat independent? Like you have a randomised hidden tech tree, but new techs are exposed based on a separate timer as opposed to on finishing a research?

That's almost exactly what Stellaris has? Unless, for the latter part, you want new techs to be available half through researching something and you have a trail of abandoned projects (still a thing in Stellaris with reverse engineering!). And Stellaris does the randomized hidden tech tree, unless you mean truley random with no correlation to previous events, in which.. whyy?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That sounds like a problem for empires who don't purge.

Why won't you purge?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Doctor Zero posted:

When I own over half the galaxy, going triple on my star base limit would cost me far more than I would make from the trade lanes, wouldn’t it? I have a shitload of habitats from the Blorg (assimilators) that I turn into fortress stations and I literally cannot build ships fast enough to go over the ship limit. I suppose I could turn them into trade stations, but that gets turned to zero from piracy doesn’t it?

Regardless even when I’m not a huge sprawling empire, the hit from going over star-base limit is bigger than letting trade go to zero isn’t it?

If you own half the galaxy,
A) Why not just put gateways all over the place?
B) The game is won, you can stop playing now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the best way to do certain things is to role-play them and not explicitly write them into your founding empire's ethos. You can totally skip the auth/egli gradient in favor of other ethos', and just set the policies yourself as you see fit and reap the benefits of mass migration etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are you sure about the lack of founding species growth? I've had pretty big empires that where about half human, half melting pot, but the first aliens arrived in the early game. Maybe its just the first few growths are tilted to aliens to try and force some sort of diversity? I dno.

But yea, pop groth is hosed in 4x games in general. Populations IRL double every X years, while every game has some dumbass mechanic where the 20th pop is much harder to grow (given equal food&space) than the 2nd. So putting up with the jank is kinda necessary, in a pick-your-poison sort of way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A month is 30 in-game seconds on normal speed, though? 300 planets, 10 species per planet (as spitball figures) every 30 seconds doesn't sound like it'd cause a slowdown for normal gen games?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait, you put a nrg/mineral multiplier on EVERY world? I only put them on worlds that had income on that, and I tended to specialize worlds a lot so that each ran a deep deficit in something. Have I been doing this wrong?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree on the principle of the matter, however, thankfully this is more just enhancing existing functionality and adding new content for it. I totally agree that the game desperately needs a break from new dev and re-works to simply get the existing codebase more stable and existing mechanics bugfixed and aligned to be better balanced and working correctly.

One of those two things can be sold as DLC. Which do you think Paradox is going to pursue?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Chill man, no need to be defensive, that's not an attack on you. Its just a cynical observation that the business will never stop making saleable content for the sake of refining stuff for free; their customer base has already shown itself willing to pay to fix "broken" content, as it where. Your followup post seems to be in agreement on the sentiment also.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Err, in midgame the AI will uprise to overthrow anyone who has robot pops but no robot rights. And endgame still has the great outsider military threat, shortly preceded by fallen empires waking up and being meanies. But other than the trivial AI thing, nothing that's internal, no.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: nvm I can't read

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bloody Pom posted:

It'd just be an inferior Starsector :v:

PS: Buy Starsector.

I just googled that, and thought "Hey! That kinda looks like something I remember from years back..." Then I noticed the sidebar. Game's been in development for a full decade. Looks cute, come tell us when it's though, yikes

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, uh, I reinstalled Stellaris again and tried out a Slavers-guild race, in Vanilla.

Slavers Guild/Miners, Industrius/Very Strong/Repugnant/Nonadaptable, Auth/Spiritual/Militarist. Basic idea was to just have a ton of minerals, have slaves, robot slaves, and see all the pretty policies I've not seen before.

Played on hardcore, scaling difficulty to Grand Admiral (previous games where a sleepwalk). Game was total trash and I quit out after the second war (frustrated at the war/claim/Casus belli system). That aside, the thing that made the game so trash was my economy and pop growth was nil; my sprawl 110/30 AND I COULD NOT FIND WHERE THE HELL STRATIFIED ECONOMY WAS ARGHH. Literally the entire point was to be a slaver arsehole and I must have missed that patch that removed the option? (outdated wiki?)

So my question is; am I not insane, economic options aren't there by default? I might just restart as Inward Perfection to avoid that whole war system mess, tbqh.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh. Err, why isn't it under the policies screen? Like where the food abundance setting is?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did they mention anything about trait limitations? Extremely habitable and/or Rapid breeders seem like an obvious shoe-in, as don't most bonus' stack additively?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Plantiods care zilch for the actual planet surface itself, their habitability is dependent on the type of star and/or a planet's proximity to it in the system. Boom! Give me my commission.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There are still several hundred dollars worth of DLC left to bilk out of Stellaris, I'd not be holding your breath.

On that note, Steam randomly suggested Crusader Kings II again to me, but apparently now its free? As I was downloading it I decided to peruse the reviews, which had a curious disclaimer from steam about possible review bombing. Always a fun thing! Some people are angry about Crusader Kings 3 and dlc and some other stuff? What's the story on that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fhqwhgads posted:

Systems that work to cripple supply lines / happiness / whatever game mechanics there are sound great against humans but are worthless against AI that doesn't play by the same rules / care about said mechanics. I've never seen an espionage system that was anything other than an annoyance.

EL had a fun system, that was mostly fun since the AI ignored it meaning it was just an optional tool to dick with the enemy w/o having to worry about your own stuff. Very rarely, something would happen back to me, but it was always trivial since the AI didn't have the foresight to plan for longer term (ie bigger) exploits. So you press a button to murder the spy and move on with life.

That being said, yea, most espionage systems that are not a game unto themselves tend to suck.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 12, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Splicer posted:

Someone before was saying that jobs should be a system rather than planet level deal. You'd need to completely rework habitability but otherwise those would work real well together.

Careful, that's Endless Space 2 Heathen talk there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jesus Christ simple instructions.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hover over the habitability number of a planet with less than 100%.

Then we get a pic of hovering over the habitability of a planet at 100%, and another of hovering over a pop.

Find a planet. ANY loving PLANET IN THE GALAXY THATS UNDER 100%, EVEN UNDER FOG OF WAR. Bring it up, doesn't matter if its uninhabited. Mouse over its habitability, of the PLANET, WHICH IS UNDER 100%.

Consider me trolled.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is there a live Ck2 thread anywhere? Forum search is trash and google just comes up with archived threads.

Why do I need it? Because I decided to try Ck2 out for free after being burned by retail Stellaris, and lo and behold my game has 2 different almost-showstopping bugs that are both ancient and well documented, but individual threads that google finds are usually very old and have no workarounds. Ck2 is like all the good parts of Stellaris enhanced, but plagued by the Paradox bullshit. It's interesting!

edit: chur, bro!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 19, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having pop growth scale based on number of pops is totally correct to real world analogies, is intuitive, can be tweaked easily (habitability, space to grow etc), and will never, ever, work in Stellaris nor be put in by the devs.

"Bigger guys get bigger, faster" is anathema to their gameplay goals. The snowballing problem has been visited many times by many people, and the solutions are almost universally poor and heavy-handed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Best Friends posted:

The first year I recommended Stellaris to a bunch of people based on what I expected it to develop into and now I spend a lot of time apologizing.

That hits a little to close to home

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, you find out fast enough when you see a +12% energy building or whatnot. Its not like you can afford to specialize your homeworld when you have 3 systems, so it doesn't come too late.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The worker check might happen elsewhere; this is just a weighting thing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"Winning" is mostly player-subjective, but there is a hard time limit for when the game closes. Most people will call it a win after a lategame super-event is defeated, which was threatening the entire galaxy.

Stellaris is very much a "make your own fun" game in tradition with other Paradox titles, even if that clashes strongly with a 4X's core design.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Robo-Slap posted:

It would be cool if juggernauts could be like mobile gateways. Push it into enemy territory and send constant reinforcements through it.

We really are just talking about the Vasari Titan now, aren't we?

edit: Could you imagine how much better the game would be if they just cut&pasted the entire SoaSE fleet & space combat into Stellaris?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 9, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't the patch event like totally unreliable and more than likely not to fire?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Didn't people run the maths, and find that Destroyers are just bad and either go corvettes for evasion or big ships (or a mix), but never destroyers?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Me, upon first installing Stellaris 1.0, and also upon replaying it in 2.2: "Why the gently caress isn't there a smooth zoom function from tiny to fullmap? Every game has had it since Supreme Commander made it a marketing point, and many before then"

Then there's this thread:

Fister Roboto posted:

Just delete system view.

Its like quintessential paradox cruft: "This system/mechanic sucks, so let's break more things to justify it..."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Can't you change that by hand though? You should have changed that by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Endless Space 2 had the same issue; the ship customizer is comparable to Stellaris, and you, at least, get the ability to tell ships to try and kite back with the precombat battle orders. So there's that. Except that the game actually tracks a whole lot of crazy simulationist things, like firing arcs on your turrets and other crazy stuff. Except that since you have literally no control over anything once the fight starts (at least in stellaris you can issue a retreat order! eventually), you're just watching a lights&color show with black-box interaction, as the aformented firing arc etc go out the window as you can't adapt to the enemies unforseen movements. It's frustrating.

Except the difference is in the presentation; ES2 is very up front about its abstraction (even if its not abstract at all! the liars), while Stellaris has stuff like combat computers which imply a level of intelligence and complexity that's not being delivered on. Actually, that last line should be bolded, it could apply to almost every system in Stellaris...