Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey guys, I haven't played this since it first came out and I'm feeling the itch. I saw the list a few pages back prioritizing the expansions, but does it change the order (or need for them) at all that I'm hot loving garbage at Paradox games and usually don't play very far into a campaign? I figured I'd pick up Utopia and Leviathans just in case this is the token one I actually get good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I picked up some DLC and I'm having a reasonably successful early game, though I had an at times rocky start since my starting constellation is pretty energy credit poor and very mineral rich and it didn't immediately occur to me to trade to keep myself afloat. Now I have a ton of the area claimed with two (going on three) chokepoints keeping my space relatively isolated. I'm pretty well set to turtle, but I have very little military power compared to my neighbors.

How do I catch up with them? Do I just churn out a shitload of corvettes and upgrade what I have whenever I can and hope for the best? How do I best outfit my outposts in my chokepoint systems to prepare for the inevitable?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hi guys, thanks for the advice this morning. I'm about to settle in for the afternoon and put some of it to practice.

Is there a priority to how I build out tiles? Like, if I'm doing a ton of power plants to bolster my energy production but have a ton of mineral income and am running a robot society, do I just plop them down on empty/mineral/food tiles? Should I keep science tiles clear unless I have a big imbalance or are those always good to exploit as are?

And should I keep trading excess minerals to my next door neighbor since I've been grooming them as a buffer on one of my chokepoints, or is it less dangerous to sell for a lovely rate with the exchange some random race is holding, or should I try to be clever and sell to the xenophobic militarists that are really far away and got beef with the dudes who are talking poo poo at me from the other side of my neighbor?

Sorry for posting a bunch of dumb questions, I'm actually getting into this and want to make sure my first (no doubt inevitably failing) proper campaign leaves me taking away the right habits.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

That babby's first campaign I started the other day looks like it's drawing to a close. Things were going pretty well, with my machine civilization and its buddies in a galactic federation mostly playing nice and occasionally taking our spiritualist xenophobe neighbors down a peg. My only other opponents in the galaxy were a civ that couldn't get a leg up on me and wound up annexed by one of my allies in the federation, and the other one didn't like my stances on bombardment and purging but came around and joined the federation because the spiritualists got on their nerves too. I sat around for a while just letting time go because I didn't have a ton to do but build infrastructure. Naturally right when I decided to start colonizing in a remote sector the Contingency showed up.

I had been turtling behind heavily kitted out citadels in case my allies turned on me, but the Contingency showed up in a dinky system in my backyard and cut off the three main areas of my empire from each other. My fleets got smashed, my neighbors found themselves in the same position, and then the Custodians awakened.

See that little spot in the South, where the Contingency blob branches East? That's where my newly Awakened buddy got put back to sleep within a month of awakening. So much for their promises to keep me safe.

I'm not going to read any spoilers for the crisis, but if I don't make it, I would tell my people that the true victory is the friendships they formed along the way, but they're a bunch of dumbass robots that don't know how to fortify their own space.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I can maybe turn my disastrous newbie campaign against the Contingency around, but it'd be one hell of a slog and they already hold like three quarters of the galaxy. I think I'm happy to walk away from it (for now at least) with some valuable lessons learned.

Time to dive back in and start my second campaign though. This campaign was a machine consciousness that mostly holed up and fortified the poo poo out of chokepoints. What's a fun alternative to pull me out of that comfort zone?

On a side note, I don't think I've gotten so into a Paradox game since EU3. What a cool game.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Our weak point is our buggy empathy logic. Nothing harms us like seeing other sentient beings suffer, especially our rivals over here.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I did exactly that and the Contingency arrived in my backyard, so not necessarily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Whorelord posted:

Also, if you get the contingency but have a different precursor do the cybrex still show up?

Yep. I had them show up and my precursor was the First League.