Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I got the game a while back and played a couple games but never got to the late game. Now I'm actually playing long enough to see the scourge and there's some stuff that isn't clicking to me, like

- I keep researching all these weapons that have an "x" size slot but there's nothing i can put them in. Are these titans or something? When the hell do you get that research?
- I got jump drives for all my ships, and it says that they're, well, jump drives and are a "dangerous tech" and when i click on fleets with them they get the old dashed line circle showing the range but when I tell them to go somewhere... they take the hyperlanes. Is this bugged or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Do you have to kill every scourge fleet and every drat system to get them to go away? Agh

Relatedly there’s stuff you guys are talking about that just hasn’t showed up in my game, like habitats or constructing your own ringworlds (I have the sanctuary system, its just that the only megastructure I can build is a gateway), titans.... it’s like 2500, shouldn’t these things have showed up? Are they in DLC or are they so sufficiently random that I can be done with the tech tree to the degree that I’m just getting infinite 5% production bonuses and never see it?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Ugh I beat the end game crisis and now I’m just slowly struggling towards a win as basically uncontested the most powerful force In the galaxy and started a war and occupied enough worlds for the win, tried to end it with status quo and despite occupying every system and many of the planets I needed got a white peace where it all reverted to the enemy. The games running so goddamn slow and I keep hitting a bug where individual fleets will be unable to move between systems at all while others can move into or out of that same system fine. Solved by a jump but still my god

And the worst part is I don’t have any of the expansions so I don’t hve any neat endgame toys and I’m out of non repeating techs and traditions... time to start a new game.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Staltran posted:

Did you have claims on the systems you occupied?

Also, did the systems that the fleets got stuck in have an active FTL inhibitor? Fleets that jump in a system with an inhibitor can only leave by jumping out unless the inhibitor gets taken care of.

Starting a new game is still the right call, no sense playing out a foregone conclusion if you're not enjoying it. And the only thing you can do to avoid the game running slow late game is to play a smaller galaxy.

I'm pretty sure I did, yeah, spent a bunch of time on it making sure it included enough goddamn planets to get the win. If you claim a system with an inhabited planet, do you have to occupy it with an army to keep it in a status quo?

Yeah in general I have really no mental model for how the hell FTL inhibitors work but if jumping in requires you jump out I guess that makes sense? Is there some guide on how they work somewhere because to me seems weirdly arbitrary whether you can go in or have to take another approach or just straight up have to jump.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Oh so the inhibitors really take effect when you want to leave, not when you want to enter? That makes everything make a lot more sense, thanks.

Well good to know that about invading planets. Probably still gonna abandon that game though it is starting to chug like a motherfucker

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

On a related note I’d love a diplomatic way to bully someone out of their federation even if it’s really hard. Of course as far as I can tell with stellaris the game is really different depending on your civ and the random events that happen so maybe there actually is and I’ve never seen it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel left out because I only have the base game but there's no way I'm dropping $20 on each expansion. Do these go on sale often?

Literally clicked this thread to make this post

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Either the victory screen is really confusing or something weird happened.

I finally got 60% of the planets in my federation by defeating a FE. The bar for the federation victory looks empty, but if you mouse over it it says 62/61 planets. Fine. Apparently nothing will happen until I'm in charge of the federation again, so I wait.

Then, my federation declares war on another. Some systems change hands but definitely nothing's invaded or anything.

Then, my federation's leadership changes from one of the AIs to another... and a federation victory screen pops up giving credit to a species from a different federation who only have about 17 planets between them. I'm counting this as a win but I want my drat steamchievement :(

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

When you guys talk about ascendancys, like biological ascendancy, what are you talking about? Certain tech paths, or something more official?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Kinda seems like the way to fix it is to take a cue from real life: small ships just couldn’t mount weapons that could realistically harm big ones. More hard counters for things. You need corvettes late game for picket work and for killing the other enemies pockets but they really can’t do poo poo to the enemies battleships - that’s what your battleships are for. You also need an ability to actually hold ranges - this makes carriers useful because the point of strike ships is that they can engage while the mothership is safe.

Battleships are killed by other battleships, by strike craft, and by a submarine equivalent.

Strike craft and missiles are countered by corvettes or other dedicated point defenses and corvettes are countered by dedicated corvette killers.

Destroyers are like amped up corvettes but are more expensive.

Cruisers are a middle ground.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

All ship types are currently useful though. (Except maybe carriers)

Carriers are never going to be useful unless there’s a system where they can stay physically unthreatened except by specific counters unless you’ve already lost the battle

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I really want a way to bully your allies into abandoning claims or have a separate peace or something, I've got an ideology war basically won but the penalty to surrender because of "unoccupied claims" for ONE GODDAMN SYSTEM that my ally claimed that's unreachable because of ftl inhibitors is preventing the enemy from surrendering. arhoueaghaodfh

e: also the ideological war thing is really funny because you win it and then they're instantly massive friends with you. drat I guess it really does work

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The Shrines to the Old Gods event chain has marked some systems I already control as "likely shrine locations" but there's no special project, and moving science ships into and out of it doesn't seem to do much. Is this... normal?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I saw someone post about doing a life seeded / fanatic materialist tall empire and I gave it a try and uh what happens if there's just like nothing to do? I have a marauder empire i'm not strong enough to beat on one side, a friend on one side, and a friend who might turn into an enemy on the final side; nowhere to colonize; I'm just waiting for star fortresses to finish so I can take voidborne and watching the bar fill up.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Stellaris starts really loving chugging once you reveal most of the galaxy, Jesus Christ. I wouldn’t mind if it was just slowing the sim speed down (ok yes I would) but it actually makes the UI laggy. really amplifies the other issues with things like the fleet manager and planets where it’s already bad enough to have to click on a bunch of meaningless upgrades but it gets really bad when everything’s laggy. Agh

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Goddamn the bug with refusing to reinforce from the fleet manager is annoying. Also the big killer of games for me has been the dramatic slowdown late game. Especially if you make the mistake of doing a large galaxy Jesus Christ

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

it doesn't even make any loving sense as latin and you're speaking english anyway. gently caress

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

If you have a caste system or same-species slaves is there a way to apply different living standards to different sub pops?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

RedSnapper posted:

Romanes eunt bonus

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

One of my problems with this game is that the only way for things to distinguish themselves seems to be "take longer". That's really all megastructures boil down to once you have a solid economy. I really wish the pace of decisionmaking kept up into the post-expansion game. It should be different decisions for sure but there are long stretches in between wars or whatever while you're just waiting for bars to fill up like you're playing one of those idle quest games.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Does somebody have a UI overhaul mod they like? That 1440p one seems broken it just makes some text smaller in the top bar without decreasing the widget sizes, like your mineral count is now very small but inside a box that's the same size as the old one and very empty. So no information is actually added. Also it seems to remove the wargoals from the war status screen.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The Prethoryn entered the galaxy in a cluster in my fed that had multiple single choke points in a row. Easiest end game crisis ever. Wish it wasn’t the drat prethoryn though especially since I’d gone full psychic, was hitting the shroud regularly, and using both normal and psi jump drives frequently. Oh well.

Also there’s something weird about fed fleets going on. I think the AI bonuses let them build fed fleets past the normal cap, so if you are in control of the fed and try and reinforce the fed fleet it builds all the ships and then strands them as individual fleets which is incredibly annoying

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Relatedly I wish you could set things up to give sectors continual income (mostly to make up for bad planning to be fair). I built a dyson sphere in one corner of my empire and then started finishing the cybrex ringworld in the opposite corner. I made a sector for the ringworld and filled the sections with resource replicators, but kept having to manually control click a bunch to fill up the sector's energy stockpile since it wasn't generating anywhere near enough. If I could just give it 400 energy/mo it would be much less annoying.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Applewhite posted:

After all this time I’ve finally figured out the secret to having a fun time playing stellaris: push the endgame crisis back a few centuries because AD 2400 is way too soon for me to be facing 100k point fleets. When the AI apocalypse or energy beings finally arrive, I’ll be ready.

Ugh by that time the galaxy will be completely static and the drat game will be running at a crawl no thanks

poo poo you’ll be completely into repeating techs too. What’s the point

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

isndl posted:

Stellaris 2.2 Discovery update: the tiles fell off

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Playing a genocidal empire for the first time, determined exterminators. It's fun as hell! But the money drain when cyborgizing pops of newly conquered worlds is so annoying. Also man the galaxy really isn't a fan of me, there's basically me taking up a quarter of the galaxy, one fed, and one mutual defense pact. In a large galaxy. And the fed's already started trying to end the threat wardec me....

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Freudian posted:

Yeah, sounds like you're playing Driven Assimilators.

I remember reading the dev diary on machine empires and not quite getting what was supposed be scary about Driven Assimilators. "Union between technology and biology? Sounds great to me." Took me a while to realise it was literally the Borg.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought DE didn't have the option to assimilate Pops. Only purge them. If anything they should be giving you an energy bonus since the default is to purge by turning them into sentient fuel cells.

Yeah whoops that's what I meant. THey both start with d so sue me

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Oh interesting I just kind of assumed that the total war cb meant they were genocidal. Good to know, thanks

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Physics is inconvenient that way.

Physics also inconveniently doesn't allow for ftl travel so uh it might be ok to abstract over this too

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Bio Hiveminds are good at Raw materials, Robo Hiveminds are good at manufacturing and Ecumenopoliisissisi are good at....trade value I think?

Ecumenopoleis probably

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

You probably can't do that because it'd be easy as gently caress to abuse. Take over a guy with 6 systems? Spin each one off into a vassal with your ethos and build 6 branch offices.

You can already build a branch on every planet of an empire you have a commerce agreement with though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The one weird thing I’m seeing is that your economy can fluctuate incredibly wildly sometimes and it’s not clear why - like jumping from +40 to -40 production in something. It’s probably a building completed but it light he pops switching jobs? I’d love to see more traceability, like a graph of inputs and outputs that has callouts for buildings coming online or offline and pops switching jobs.

Also the summary for advanced/strategix resources is really bad because it sums the incomes so it can say +2 when actually you have +5 gas and have had -1 crystals for months and you only freaking notice when the pop up for being completely out happens and your consumer goods aren’t getting made anymore god DAMMIT

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Couple posters are down on it, and if you really like machine empires they're weak and a little fiddly right now. Personally I'm really enjoying it, and outside of small tweaking that you expect after a big change haven't had any complaints. Considering they basically redid the entire economy and planets there are way less bugs than I was personally expecting.

The DLC itself is mostly if you want to play as a megacorp (new govt type). They have sort of a neat idea behind their gimmick, but it is more of a 'supplementing a normal empire' instead of a completely new way to play and I think that has thrown some people off of them. The majority of the meat is in the free update, and you'll probably get a lot of milage out of that even if you don't get the DLC.

Mega corps can play pretty differently. Between the civics that boost trade value and branch offices and the trade policy that turns trade into consumer goods as well as energy you can put yourself in a place where you basically don’t ever need generator districts or consumer goods plants

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Maybe you're right then. I've never seen it happen, and I was fairly sure the dev diaries did mention that non-event pirate spawns were gone with the new system. But if you're getting a pirate skull to show up on your regular view and that place also spawns pirates....that's probably the source of the pirates.

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you sure? Because it's pretty much always the same systems and it IS a system along a trade route, just not a trade route generated by me. Plus, the event didn't fire until very, very late in the game where I had a normal empire running a trade route through my space. And when I get pirates in normal games it pretty much always happens along trade routes where there is piracy. The event's flavor text even mentions "vulnerable shipping lane".

It even made the piracy icon appear on my normal map view, despite the fact that I don't actually have a "trade route view" as a hive mind:

The way this works is that if you have a high value trade route and let its current piracy build up to a certain threshold near the max and maybe stay there for a while, then pirates will spawn in one of the high piracy systems.

This is to force you do anything, literally anything at all, to secure your trade routes. You can patrol a 100 trade value route with 1 or 2 corvettes every decade and you'll be fine, or build a couple stations. If you aggressively ignore the game trying to tell you that this trade route has piracy, eventually pirates will spawn there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have never seen the game warn me in any way that pirates may spawn. Is there a notification I have turned off or something?

Ok maybe I exaggerated it a bit but basically you should keep an eye on the trade route piracy estimations. You probably know most if not all of this already, but I'm gonna write out what I understand of it partially to get it clear in my head, partially to help people in the thread, and maybe because it contains something that will help you specifically.

You can see them by going into the starbase screen and clicking the trade routes button. This gives you highlighted lines for the trade routes, and icons above each system for the trade protection they have from starbases, the the trade value passing through them (so a route where part of it is common to several sources will have more trade value than you might think), and a skull and crossbones summing up the piracy risk.

If the skull and crossbones is red, that means the trade protection value is under the trade value - quite a bit, in fact. This determines the "max piracy" level. Current piracy starts at 0 and climbs towards max piracy. If it hits and stays at max piracy (and I'm pretty sure the max piracy additionally has to be pretty high, so really nowhere near enough protection for the route)and stays there for a while, then you get a pirate spawn.

The best way to prevent this is to just peep at the piracy values every couple years. If it's not red, you're fine, it literally doesn't matter. If it's red, you can do a couple things:

- You can build more trade protection. Trade protection is provided by starbase weapons modules. Each additional weapons module - guns, missiles, and hangar bays - adds a jump to the range of the trade protection, and also adds to the amount of trade protection (hangar bays add more value but still, afaict, only one jump worth of range). This can start adding up particularly if you, like me, are doing a very heavy trade value build, which tends to be megacorps. You may need to build more stations along the route. This can be expensive but if you're going that build you're probably quite rich and also you usually don't have to use all the starbase slots on weapons, there's some left over for anchorages or whatever. Note that this is afaict the only "hands off" way to provide trade protection.
- You can steer some ships through. Ships, even lovely corvettes, have an outsized amount of trade protection. Pretty much any military ship passing through a trade route will reduce its current piracy to 0. In theory, you can hit the patrol button, which is the little binocular icon next to where the jump button lives if you have jump drives, and the ships will go back and forth, but that's never worked for me so who knows, they always just go to the destination I set then stop (if anybody knows why, please let me know). Even early game T1 corvettes can straight up zero out current piracy, and late game whenever I forget about it and have piracy, well, those trade lanes end up being on well traveled pathways by definition, so if you drop shipyards on them then reinforcements spawning and heading to your fleets will kill piracy and also usually pirates if they happen to have spawned [head tapping gif goes here]