Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is it just extroverts palling-aroudn with their bros on the waves or is there more to it than that?

jonny 290 seems to really like it and so do a lot of other cool nerds but maybe im missing out on the buzz because im an introvert that would rather not talkt to anyone except computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a super busy day today but will post later, i have too much to say to just one line it

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Seymour steams a good ham.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
high bar to entry due to expense and technical complexity which means self-selecting and exclusionary to those not fully committed

perfect for nerdy types since its both expensive and elitist for unearned reasons

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

wasn't their a yospos radio thread at one point

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i went to a ham radio store to look around and there was an ex wife joke tacked to the wall. thats my understanding of ham radio people

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I HAVE GOUT posted:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Stymie posted:

perfect for nerdy types since its both expensive and elitist for unearned reasons

quoting stymie

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a super busy day today but will post later, i have too much to say to just one line it

thanks! i knew you liked talking about it but i didn't want to ask in cjs because your answer would be washed away too soon by the flood of posts

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hams are just old people talking about megahertz

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
give trophy the ham

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

give trophy the ham

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trophy needs the ham

yeah we had a big massive thread but i melted down and assume it ate archives. anyways probably better to start fresh.

YES, HAM RADIO
its fun and good to get your license
radios can be expensive, but can also be cheap now
there is tons of cool data poo poo to play with if you are mic shy. i send slow scan TV pics with communist propaganda and trans heroes to the old men that send statue of liberty pics and pinups

the best thing to stop old white engineers from dominating ham radio is to get your license and start talking about what you want to talk about instead of FEMA camps or whatever

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's like irc but instead of the internet it works via magic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
praying for ham the meat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

trophy needs the ham

yeah we had a big massive thread but i melted down and assume it ate archives. anyways probably better to start fresh.

YES, HAM RADIO
its fun and good to get your license
radios can be expensive, but can also be cheap now
there is tons of cool data poo poo to play with if you are mic shy. i send slow scan TV pics with communist propaganda and trans heroes to the old men that send statue of liberty pics and pinups

the best thing to stop old white engineers from dominating ham radio is to get your license and start talking about what you want to talk about instead of FEMA camps or whatever
i thought one of the public purposes of amateur licensing was to have people available to do emergency comms, sounds like relations between licensees and the govt arent good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

i thought one of the public purposes of amateur licensing was to have people available to do emergency comms, sounds like relations between licensees and the govt arent good

there are people (myself included) that are trying to minimize or eliminate the ~~~ EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS ~~~ element from ham radio (like, its codified in Part 97 and annoying) because a: its super vestigial now in the era of FirstNet 5g gigabit to cop radio poo poo, and it can serve as a shady hiding place for weird anti-gov fuckos

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i know the FCC doesn't require code anymore but regardless this should be in the op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

i know the FCC doesn't require code anymore but regardless this should be in the op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ed0TSp0gs

and that's loafing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHnQCSpxwU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcYMGs-6Vqg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
iphones let you tap in custom vibration patterns for different alerts so my pocket buzzes SMS / SMTP / CAL / SLK in morse whenever one of the appropriate notifications comes in

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
i have a bunch of hams in the family but i don't get why you would spend that kind of money for something that just lets you talk to other people. it can't even play solitaire ffs

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
i work for a company in the field of radio propagation/frequency planning, and I keep thinking “I should read 290’s thread and learn how radio actually works and get a ham license” but :effort:

Jonny can you sign a thing so my yoslurking counts as work related time?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zamujasa posted:

hams are just old people talking about megahertz

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
tina come eat some ham!

:iamafag:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

ham tina eat some come!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Stymie posted:

high bar to entry due to expense and technical complexity which means self-selecting and exclusionary to those not fully committed

didnt even read the rest of the thread but this is the only correct opinion in it.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

graph posted:

give trophy the ham

sorry for my hastiness I found a second correct opinion

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hold and modify radio

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hot rear end milf radio

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
time-stamped for ham abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdENqUQfcI4&t=25s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

honey baked ham....mamma mia

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

creationist believer posted:

i work for a company in the field of radio propagation/frequency planning, and I keep thinking “I should read 290’s thread and learn how radio actually works and get a ham license” but :effort:

Jonny can you sign a thing so my yoslurking counts as work related time?

get your tech license and i absolutely will write it off for you

stymie posted:

stupid poo poo
you dont have to pass the code test any more and a ham radio literally starts at eighteen dollars. accounting for inflation, playing with RF hobbies has never been cheaper. I can order obscure RF transistors from shenzhen for 10 cents each and they are here in 7 days. not only that but the growth in online documentation and forums means that older gear is more repairable today at 50 years of age than the same thing was 20 years ago

also boomers are starting to die off quickly so there's a huge opening for more socially conscious younger operators to basically storm the barn and take over

CONTENT

here is one of my antenna masts that i redid yesterday

the newest resident is that 600 mW Bullet M2 HP hooked to a 14db patch antenna. its running AREDN firmware and has a roughly 1 megabit link to the Denver area ham mesh, specifically a tower that is 7 miles away

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh wow all you have to know is various obscure websites and specialty hardware dealers to get great deals on components that you then have to spend hours to configure based off arcane technical manuals (which is its own expense in and of itself)

not making a great case against the inherent elitism and expense, maybe stop being so defensive about your bad hobby

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why do you have to be like this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jonny did you ever induction-boil a pot of pasta water with the radio like you said you were going to

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
the only thing to be elitist about in ham radio is getting the best license, i.e no-code extra, and then talking smack to advanced class guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok all this radio poo poo might be fun but are you allowed to talk about anything other than pork products

• Locked thread