Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Let them profit off their own name and likeness while in school. That's the least that could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

iospace posted:

I think Title IX would get involved if a college has one more paid sport for men than women, which in my example they would (football would not have a women's equivalent).

So pay the woman's soccer team? :shrug:

It's on a per-player basis and not a per-team basis, iirc. So, if you pay everyone on the football team, that's like 85 women athletes also getting paid.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The NBA will have minor league teams for all 30 teams as soon as next season, iirc. Right now, I think there are only four teams that don't have their own dedicated G-League team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Problem is the NBA has an age limit and Silver is actually somewhat interested in raising it as the NCAA pisses and moans more about 1-year players. And that's not going away in a court battle, Maurice Clarett already lost that.

Most recently, Silver was talking about removing the age limit. This came about with the G-League being used by more and more teams.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mahoning posted:

Not really, since when demand drops, the price doesn't drop with it. Attendance at sporting events across the board is going down, ticket prices aren't. The fact is that owners no longer care if they price fans out of attending their games since the majority of their revenue comes from TV contracts and not attendance at the games.

NBA season tickets for teams that aren't easy sellouts no matter what do fluctuate in price from year to year, up and down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Obviously it doesn't solve the biggest problems but I asked earlier and it wasn't answered: do scholarships still have stupid loving limitations on stuff like how much food athletes can eat before its an impermissible benefit and whatnot?

Yeah, they only get so much money to spend on food and if anyone buys them more, it is a violation.

• Locked thread