Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If your position is "the money and effort concentrated on college sports is a distraction from the academic mission of universities" (and that's a valid one, I'm not arguing that), you should have checked out of college sports decades ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

iospace posted:

My take is this: football, baseball/softball, hockey, and basketball (both mens and womens) should get 1k a month, plus whatever money they get via scholarships.

This system cannot be legally established unless it's collectively bargained.

They should get whatever someone is willing to pay them.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I would mostly agree, but would that violate Title IX?

I’m honestly asking because I have no clue. If it would be a Title IX violation then that’s a much larger battle than simply deciding to pay the players.

No, Title IX is brought up to oppose paying college athletes entirely as a concern troll. It has never required complete monetary equality. If it did, Nick Saban would not be allowed to make $11 million a year

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Problem is the NBA has an age limit and Silver is actually somewhat interested in raising it as the NCAA pisses and moans more about 1-year players. And that's not going away in a court battle, Maurice Clarett already lost that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

General Dog posted:

It's always seemed kind of dubious to me that the teams of the NBA and NFL are effectively allowed to collude to exclude players under 19/21. If that restriction was lifted it seems like it would incentivize the creation of full-fledged developmental systems for both leagues where teams could stow young talent, making participation in the NCAA just another option for elite players (rather than the only option). Basically like college baseball is right now.

There are two important cases here. The first is Spencer Haywood v. NBA, where the Supreme Court vacated the NBA's rule that a player could not be drafted until 4 years after he's out of high school. They ruled this was an illegal restraint of trade which violated the Sherman Act. Maurice Clarett sued the NFL to try and overturn their rule that required players to be 3 years out of high school. The biggest difference he faced, though, was that the NFL's 3-year rule was collectively bargained with the NFLPA. The 2nd circuit, for a huge list of reasons, ruled in favor of the NFL; the whole opinion is here, perhaps the most important part is "This is simply not a case in which the NFL is alleged to have conspired with its players union to drive its competitors out of the market for professional football...This lawsuit reflects simply a prospective employee's disagreement with the criteria, established by the employer and the labor union, that he must meet in order to be considered for employment."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ticket prices are based 100% on what people will pay for them. The idea that greedy players are driving up the prices is a lie told by owners to get fans on their side.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Teams aren't going to cut prices at the box office but you're a fool if you are paying box office prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They bumped it up slightly after that guy complained at the Final Four about "yeah sometimes we go to bed hungry"

• Locked thread