Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m sympathetic to the argument that athletes should be paid, especially in light of the money they bring in.

It would honestly just cause me to move on from college athletics. The best way to explain is the bit of guilt I get from seeing athletes, entire athletic departments, school administrators brush things under the rug. I feel a little guilty for causing that to be the case, by watching and thus making the product valuable enough that morals become flexible. I’m not naive enough to think that this doesn’t happen all over society, but in academia where we pretend there is something valuable to educating people and contributing research in the arts and sciences, having this be out there makes athletics an even more explicit distraction from that core mission than it already is.

Right now there’s a thin veneer... again I agree players generate the value and it makes sense they should capture more. But rather than have the money of college athletics shoved more in my face I might just say to hell with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread