Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember the last time I turned my computer off

but couldn't the fan in the case cause fan death? it might not be safe to sleep with it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol you don't ever leave your computer. Pathetic.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

What's a computer?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
One time when on vacation in Naperville, I wanted some stuff to make food instead of eating out. I went to a grocery store by a CVS called H mart. There was a lot of fans on there.
|

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Korea only uses water cooled op

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

koreans don't own computers they go to PC bangs OP

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

One time when on vacation in Naperville, I wanted some stuff to make food instead of eating out. I went to a grocery store by a CVS called H mart. There was a lot of fans on there.
|

not dangerous unless you spend a lot of time in the store

maybe some employees died if they had to work a double shift or something

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but couldn't the fan in the case cause fan death? it might not be safe to sleep with it on

We can only hope so op

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2005/08/923/
Aug 10, 2005 - A young Korean man has died after playing Starcraft nearly 50 hours straight.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Fans don't have souls, whereas computers accumulate the souls of Koreans at the rate of 1/95840 processors built by Samsung. Computers presented a net soul theft until approximately 1988, but since then, they represent positive chi except in the homes of bitcoin miners who possess over 100k processor cores. Please learn something about indigenous knowledges before you imperialistically criticize them.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Korea only uses water cooled op

Water cooling uses fans to cool the radiator you dope. You moron. You absolute fool! GAWD!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RIP

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Pawn 17 posted:

Water cooling uses fans to cool the radiator you dope. You moron. You absolute fool! GAWD!!!

poo poo caught me exposed, uh uh I swear I do computers!! Flush the processor cores!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

poo poo caught me exposed, uh uh I swear I do computers!! Flush the processor cores!

That's better. :hfive:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Fanless laptops.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bet North Korea has zero fan deaths. No starcraft binge deaths too, for that matter. These southerners should really look up to their neighbors imo

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

uuuh nws that? I got fired from my janitorial job at the international society for keeping asians alive

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Koreans can't sleep if their computer is on, so no. If they wanted to? Couldn't say.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Fan death!? Thanks a bunch. My miserable life is already bad enough not worrying about fans.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i bet those Dyson bladeless fans are popular over there for this reason

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

ppl dont really believe in fan death its just a cover story so they have something to tell people to hide their shame when their family member commits suicide

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor Dogballs posted:

ppl dont really believe in fan death its just a cover story so they have something to tell people to hide their shame when their family member commits suicide

Also SIDS

Historically also deaths by carbon monoxide

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Tell that to all the ahjumah I've worked with over the last 30 years. Far too many of them believed it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Doctor Dogballs posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also SIDS

Historically also deaths by carbon monoxide

These two posts pretty much covered everything you need to know about "fan death".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
all fans in Korea have razor edges and heat-seeking extending necks like a comfier version of The Pit and the Pendulum. Seems dangerous but the market wants what it wants.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
A decade ago, I spent some time in South Korea, and arrived there mid summer. Summer in Korea is hot and humid. My apartment came partially furnished, and I was sharing it with two South African dudes. We each had a private bedroom, and each bedroom came with a medium sized oscillating fan, which was the only cooling option available in the whole place (in the winter it had "floor heaters," at least.) The problem with these fans is that there was a mechanical timer that controlled how long it would run, with the max setting being like two hours. So, when bedtime came, I'd turn the fan on, twist the stupid mechanical timer on, and then hop into bed, only to wake up two hours later covered in sweat with the goddamn fan off. Turn the fan back on, then, repeat.

At the time, neither I nor my room mates had any idea about Koreans and their fan death, but this was definitely annoying. So, I went to the local electronics store to find a fan that didn't have a mandatory timer. However, I couldn't find one! So the problem kept up until one night, I awoke in a hot sweat to a lifeless fan, and unable to take it anymore, grabbed a screwdriver and took that bitch apart in the middle of the night, found a way to lock the timer into a permanent "on" position, and went back to bed. The next day I did the same operation to my roommates fans.

Sometime later I was eating lunch with some of my Korean friends, and I started telling them about my adventure with the stupid fan designs in their country. The table got very quiet, until one girl piped up to inform me that the timers were for our protection, because the fans suck oxygen out of the air and if we left them on all night we could asphyxiate and die. I could tell she wasn't joking, and was being dead serious, but I had no idea how to respond, as I was the only non Korean there and it was obvious everyone at table believed this.I think I said something along the lines of "um, well, back home in America, everyone runs their fan all night and nobody ever dies...I don't think this is a thing that happens?"

We argued back forth, and they seemed just as shocked that *I* didn't already know about this, and that this wasn't something Americans worried about. Finally, the original girl, logically concluded the argument by realizing "Well, Americans must be immune to it!"

Anyway, I'm sorry to whoever moved into the apartment after me and the South Africans left, because we left those fans with the safety timers disabled, just waiting to suffocate some sleeping Koreans.

I hope I didn't murder anybody.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i bet those Dyson bladeless fans are popular over there for this reason

It's not the blades that kill Koreans you fool! You absolute dolt!! It's the act of running them that kills you!!! Are you even reading the same thread as me??

I sleep with my noisy computer and my floor fan on. Sometimes I also turn on the air conditioner's fan function. I have a death wish, and that's what makes me cool

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Zorodius posted:

all fans in Korea have razor edges and heat-seeking extending necks like a comfier version of The Pit and the Pendulum. Seems dangerous but the market wants what it wants.

I blame the zerg

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Pawn 17 posted:

drag him

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

akma posted:

Tell that to all the ahjumah I've worked with over the last 30 years. Far too many of them believed it.

I want to believe

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Backweb posted:

It's not the blades that kill Koreans you fool! You absolute dolt!! It's the act of running them that kills you!!! Are you even reading the same thread as me??

I sleep with my noisy computer and my floor fan on. Sometimes I also turn on the air conditioner's fan function. I have a death wish, and that's what makes me cool

what did you just say to me bitch

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

what did you just say to me bitch

I said:

Backweb posted:

Can't you read? I'll be in the sauna at the Turkish bathhouse in Taipei's red light district in about 20 minutes if you wanna throw down bro. Bring your fan.

Fan death is a uniquely funny South Korean phenomenon. The conservative nature of the society, general taboos towards death, and the family dynamic of encouraging children to take big risks for a worthy payoff and feeling no shame if they fail (because you can always try again tomorrow) probably means that they're super afraid of being seen as failures. What's the biggest failure? Killing yourself because you won't try to be successful. Thus it's easier to blame someone's sleeping pill OD on an electrical appliance in the room than face the fact that your idiot child is a failure.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I don't know man, as grim as Korea can be towards its young, aspiring middle class types, I thought that historically fan death was mostly deeply misunderstood carbon monoxide poisoning (from those underfloor heaters).

Nobody I've spoken too that isn't like, 70 believes in it anymore.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
cryptocurrency mining OP

it can only go up OP!!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a lot of it is also the elderly dying off during hot summers without ac

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chinatown posted:

cryptocurrency mining OP

it can only go up OP!!!!

suck my ballcoins!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i always put my computer into "sleep" mode when I go to sleep, because it boots up faster than shutting it down all the way. but lately windows has decided that it want to wake up in the night to download new updates or mine bitcoins or something? loving windows 10 never respects any of my settings :argh:

so now i have to put the computer into "hibernate" mode and turn off the power bar. it can't wake up now, it physically can't! take than microsoft, try and wake up my computer now fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So do they sleep after eating the dog?

• Locked thread