Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Into the Breach is a tactics-style game similar to Advance Wars or Final Fantasy Tactics. You command a unit of human-piloted mechs fighting against an incursion of giant monsters. The big twist is that you can see exactly what each enemy will do before planning your moves for a given turn. There are no random to-hit or damage rolls, so you can also see the effects of your own potential moves. The game is balanced around the player having this information, adding a bit of a puzzle element to the traditional Tactics formula.

The game is developed by Subset Games, the creators of FTL: Faster Than Light -- for my money, the greatest PC game of all time -- so this is exciting and you should be excited.

The music is composed by Ben Prunty, who did all of the amazing music for FTL.

The Steam description posted:

The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL.
Key Features:

- Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
- Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
- Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
- Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

The cities are fragile, and friendly fire is totally a thing. Don't smash up your city while trying to defend it!

ITB is run-based and does have perma-death, but there are persistent unlocks, and you can "time travel" one pilot between games:

Gameplay videos:
Giant Bomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLYtQA6HdJc
Polygon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0uY65UN_og

Reviews:
Ars Technica
Eurogamer
Rock Paper Shotgun
Kotaku
PC Gamer
Spoiler: Everyone loves the game.

Into the Breach releases is OUT NOW for PC via Steam, GoG, and the Humble Store.

Game Information and FAQ

General Tips
- Into the Breach is a difficult game. Don't feel bad about starting on Easy if you're not a veteran of turn-based tactics-style games.

- Make liberal use of the Undo Move button to plan out your turn. You can move all of your units at once and still undo them, as long as you don't fire or take any other actions. This will help you visualize what's going to happen when you start shooting.

- Block those Veks! The churning dirt animation on a square shows where new Veks will emerge next turn. Park a mech over one -- or better yet, push a Vek there! -- and it will block the spawn and deal one damage to the unit in the square. This is a great way to buy some breathing room if you're feeling a little overwhelmed.

- Hold the left Alt button or hover over the Attack Order icon to see the order of enemy movements. This is great for setting up one Vek kill another before it can attack.

- Hold the left Ctrl button while hovering over any unit to see its move range, detailed actions, and other attributes.

- The repair action removes fire or ACID status as well as restoring one health. If you're standing in a fire tile, it also extinguishes the fire!

Upgrading / Spending Reputation
- Early in the game, spend all of your reputation on reactor cores.

- Many weapons only work well with certain mechs or squad loadouts. Unless you're sure you can fit a weapon into your current setup, focus on getting more cores, which are almost always helpful.

- Don't spend reputation on grid defense unless you're low going into the Final Battle. In most cases, getting an extra reactor core will help you protect the remaining grid more effectively, so it's a better buy.

Pilot Skills
When a pilot levels up, they randomly gain a skill to bring to future battles. Some of the most useful are:
- +1 Mech Reactor
- Skilled (+2 HP and +1 move)
- Opener (Boosted and +2 move on first turn)

Technician and Conservative can also be excellent attributes, but they're more situational and require a certain loadout to shine.

Distant Friends achievement

How to get the hidden pilots from the game FTL:

There are three pilots that don't initially appear as silhouettes on the pilot selection screen. To get them, you need to find and activate beacons hidden away in mountains and ice sheets, and then grab or protect the resulting time travel pod that appears. These beacons are hard to spot -- they appear in damaged mountains and ice tiles as faint, glowing yellow dots.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Very excited to play this on release. I had the privilege of experiencing an early build and it's every bit as addictive as FTL or other roguelite games.

There's a squad that kills Kaiju by filling the map with smoke, it's great

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hooray, the void within me will be filled once more with 8bit-like graphics!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

dyzzy posted:

Very excited to play this on release. I had the privilege of experiencing an early build and it's every bit as addictive as FTL or other roguelite games.

There's a squad that kills Kaiju by filling the map with smoke, it's great
That's actually a question I have -- how rogue-like (or -lite) is it?

Is it run-based like FTL, where if you fail you start over? If so, are there unlocks that persist from game to game?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The main unlocks are new mech squads (purchased by earning achievements, each squad has 3 that revolve around their gimmick) and pilots, which you unlock by finding them in a run.

Every run you finish, win or lose, means that you can start the next run with one of the pilots from your last attempt. You pick which one gets sent through the time portal, and they'll keep their exp level and perks but that's it. That's the only 'progressive unlock' system in the game, you otherwise start with the same capabilities every time.

And yeah when you lose (ie the power grid goes to zero, like hull damage in FTL) you are forced to start over. You get a one turn rewind once per battle though, but it won't save you from the final blow.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 26, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Still not sure if I'm gonna get this. I'm going to keep an ear open and watch some streams because I think whether or not I like this game comes down to the gameplay loop and campaign experience.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The early press is really favorable so far.

If nothing else, Subset Games deserves more of my money for the 450+ hours I spent playing FTL.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

WhiteHowler posted:

The early press is really favorable so far.

If nothing else, Subset Games deserves more of my money for the 450+ hours I spent playing FTL.

They're one of the few Indie developers who made enough money off their first game to avoid crowd-funding for their next one. It'll be interesting to see if they avoid the sophomore slump that affects many indies.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Release is imminent and the reviews are rolling in, the Waypoint stream today has sold me completely. Can't wait to sink some hours into this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just heard about this and now I want it terribly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

jokes posted:

I just heard about this and now I want it terribly.
Tomorrow!

There are currently a few streams running on Twitch, mostly streamers who played a lot of FTL and presumably got this early as a reward/marketing tool.

Billy1Kirby is a good watch, as is DolphinChemist.

Personally, I don't want to spoil anything before I get my hands on it. I love figuring out these types of games myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saw gameplay clips of this and almost immediately fell in love despite being hot garbage at most strategy games. Looking forward to tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez I didn't realize this was coming out tomorrow, gonna have to pick it up.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I got like a thousand hours in FTL

WhiteHowler posted:

the greatest PC game of all time

. It was even better on iPad. Either that was a fluke or subset games deeply understands both balance and pacing because they were as close to perfect as you can get.

I'm in great anticipation for their sophomore title!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's only $15, which isn't bad at all, assuming it's about as replayable as FTL.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I never got more than a few hours out of FTL because I hopped late onto the bandwagon and heard grumblings about how limited the ways you could actually beat the game were

Maybe I'll give it another chance tonite since ItB isn't out yet

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

WhiteHowler posted:

Tomorrow!

There are currently a few streams running on Twitch, mostly streamers who played a lot of FTL and presumably got this early as a reward/marketing tool.

Billy1Kirby is a good watch, as is DolphinChemist.

Billy is a top streamer, super smart and interactive with chat in that he will actually answer questions. and critique or agree with what chat says. Recommend him if you're wanting to learn about Into the breach, Slay the Spire, FTL, or Rimworld. On the other hand Dolphin is a hack and I don't understand why he has 1000+ viewers besides his dumb voice.

Ciaphas posted:

I never got more than a few hours out of FTL because I hopped late onto the bandwagon and heard grumblings about how limited the ways you could actually beat the game were

Oh my sweet summer child. You have so many hours of delight awaiting you. FTL is a masterpiece.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 27, 2018

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been playing this for review, and it's brilliant.

Being able to see the enemy's next attack and having multiple tools to push them around so they shoot one another, fall off cliffs, step onto traps, or slam into mountains is satisfying as heck. Every round turns into a miniature puzzle in which you try to figure out the most efficient way to minimize losses. Upgrades feel legitimately meaningful. Each map's randomized bonus victory conditions and hazards stave off the tunnel vision that can set in with some strategy games.

Here are a few tips for beginners. They might be pretty obvious things that smart people will pick up immediately in-game, but I am an idiot and you might be too.

The game points out that you can park your mech butt on these spawn points to prevent enemies from popping up. Great! Here's what I don't think the game mentions: You take 1 damage when the emerging enemy bumps its head against your butt. In most cases it's worth it.

Now let's say you've got that lingering 1 point of damage. You click the little repair icon shown above or hit R and end your turn, assuming this unit will rest and recover 1 HP between rounds. Nothing happens, because that's not how this works. After activating the repair you have to target and click yourself. The heal happens immediately.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Me Friday night: "Oh sweet, LethalFrag (who I learned about when the devs gave me FTL: Advanced Ediditon to play early and has been one of my favorite streamers since) is getting an early copy to play on hiw Monday Night stream! I can watch while I play at midnight!"

Me Monday Night: "Fuuuck, it's an 8 AM release for me! Well I'll just watch Frag play while I play Oxygen Not Included."

Me right now: "Of all the nights to have insomnia...why did I have to wake up before release?"

Anyways, saw some insane poo poo on Frag's stream and can't wait to play. Doubt I'll be getting anything as absurd as his "get the pilot that lets you attack twice in one turn on the mec that has chain-lightning whips that can skip off of cities (without damaging them)" run, but some of the teams look cool.

You've got Team Kestrel (my name, the old reliable) to start out with. There's also Team Flamethrower (Has a flamethrower and artillery unit that work nearly the same way as the starting team, but they trade immediate damge for FIRE EVERYWHERE). Team Blitzkreig (chain-lightning whip plus boulder artillery plus grapple tank) among the ones I've seen. So far the most hliarious team is the one that comes with Metal Gear Rex with a turbolaser strapped to it, a science vessel that can pull enemies or throw shiels about...and a gunless Panzer Ratte that drives NASCAR speed into enemies.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm pretty excited for this but will wait for the Mac version to play on my laptop. I lost a lot of hours to FTL that way.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Count me in as someone else who didn't realise this was out WITHIN THE HOUR. Glad I got into work early so I can bunk off sooner. I sucked SO drat hard at Advance Wars but this looks different enough (in that you can see the enemy plans) that I'm super excited to play it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

T-1 hour to posts from goons unable to cope with their own badness at video games!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its out

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

queeb posted:

its out

Oh hey, this game actually lets you resize it unlike FTL!

Subset is learning.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, they have larger font and good UI scaling options right out of the gate. I was expecting this to be unplayably weird on an ultrawide without Fiddling(tm) or playing in a window, but it works fine with just Large Fonts ticked.

Only got time to play the tutorial, gotta go to work, but this seems like goodtimes

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It’s stuck at 60 FPS max apparently but that will be fixed in an update.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay, watching the charger bugs throw themselves off the desert island will never get old. :allears:

I don't think I've let one land a single hit on anything more important than a mountain yet.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Has anyone commented on the difficulty curve yet? Does it really get intense along the same scale as FTL did? I’m trying not to spoil anything for myself so I haven’t read much into the different abilities of enemies and stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zigmidge posted:

T-1 hour to posts from goons unable to cope with their own badness at video games!

I am bad at this game and it is amazing.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
You might think it's a good idea to be hit by lightning.

But actually, it isn't.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Is there any way to put down a manual move path? I can make it to that tile through another path but the computer insists I try walking through three mines on my way there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Zigmidge posted:

Is there any way to put down a manual move path? I can make it to that tile through another path but the computer insists I try walking through three mines on my way there.

You won't get hurt by mines unless you stop there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am bad at this game and it is amazing.

It's very FTL: lays the cards at your feet and then abuses you for thinking you knew them. I've yet to get more than 2 islands done on Normal, might jump down to Easy to learn stuff better/unlock crews.

The Rusty Buckets are interesting in a good way. The plane is the weakest of the trio since it has to leapfrog over enemies to hurt them which can leave you unable to hit enemies, but it always leaves a dust cloud which is positively amazing when mixed with the artillery bot's passive that causes smoke to zap any vek in them. The artillery only pushes forward but does 2 damage, and most importantly, leaves a smoke cloud behind itself that lets it defend from close-ranged attacks if it's stuck/webbed by just shooting a random tile in the opposite direction. Also, spend your first core on the pusher mech because spawning a shield every turn is holyshitballs amazing. Just sit on burrowing Vek all day.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Argue posted:

You won't get hurt by mines unless you stop there.

Time to eat poo poo, Vek

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Just sit on burrowing Vek all day.

This Vek is not cleared for surfacing.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 27, 2018

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Discovered this literally yesterday. Played it a bit today and greatly enjoying it.

To the poster above who pointed out how to repair: thank you! I kept waiting for the end of the turn.

How does Grid Defense work? Is it a dice roll?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Seems like it's a percent chance based on the amount of remaining grid energy. The more the better, but never enough to rely on.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Alkydere posted:

It's very FTL: lays the cards at your feet and then abuses you for thinking you knew them. I've yet to get more than 2 islands done on Normal, might jump down to Easy to learn stuff better/unlock crews.

The Rusty Buckets are interesting in a good way. The plane is the weakest of the trio since it has to leapfrog over enemies to hurt them which can leave you unable to hit enemies, but it always leaves a dust cloud which is positively amazing when mixed with the artillery bot's passive that causes smoke to zap any vek in them. The artillery only pushes forward but does 2 damage, and most importantly, leaves a smoke cloud behind itself that lets it defend from close-ranged attacks if it's stuck/webbed by just shooting a random tile in the opposite direction. Also, spend your first core on the pusher mech because spawning a shield every turn is holyshitballs amazing. Just sit on burrowing Vek all day.

actually the plane is really good because you can upgrade the range on its attack. So it leaves 2 clouds instead of 1, its also immune to webbing since you can always just jump away.

Zigmidge posted:

This game is hard. And im bad :negative:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dark Off posted:

This game is hard. And im bad :negative:

yeah im loving terrible at this but its good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I'm waiting to see how replayable this is before picking it up. FTL is something I played when it first came out and I am still playing now. I'm hoping Into The Breach is like that.