Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

I've been playing this game for the Switch for the last few weeks, and I gotta say it's absolutely perfect for providing bite-sized strategy puzzles on the go. Favorite team is definitely the fire mechs - there's just something utterly delightful about how they fight, and how people go "hooray we're saved" when literally half the map is on fire. Never gets old.

Never saw anything like that again! Is there some kind of secret to finding them? From what I could find, it's just destroying mountains from the second island onwards, and hope for the best?

Fire Behemoths and the Rusted Hulks are definitely my two favorite teams. Their gimmicks are just perfect. I also like the Ice gang, but that's only because if you shield the freezing mechanic is nullified and you become unstoppable. Using it as intended would be trickier but probably lots of fun too.

If you're curious about the glow:
You can get lucky, regarding the beacon, in which you'll start with a shattered mountain or bit of ice with one in them, as was the case for my last two pilots. The best teams are ones with offensive power, because you'll notice many mechs, if they can't do damage, can't hurt mountains. Try a custom team to cherry-pick the best mechs for the job. (The artillery mech that hits four squares for example).

Note you can only start looking after the first island and yellow beacons will not appear if there's a time capsule already there or on the final mission of an island.

I found the best island to complete first was the Desert Island. It has relatively few mountains, and very few missions with extra help (extra units that can bombard mountains for you). After that it's just about getting lucky.

Also, it's best to search on Easy since it'll give you many more opportunities to collect them and/or smash mountains.

Note you only have to touch the beacon. Once activated it launches a capsule the following turn, which like any other capsule you can collect or protect. So make sure you always no later than your 2nd to last turn otherwise you won't get it. The three pilots you get are terrific, with two of them being arguably the best in the game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yay, I'm finished. This game is so much better than FLT, and I really liked FTL.

Have some hard mode squad rankings,

Ice Mech Tier
Frozen Titans

Top Tier
Zenith Guard
Rift Walkers

Mid Tier
Flame Behemoths
Rusting Hulks
Hazardous Mechs
Blitzkrieg

Low Tier
Secret Squad
Steel Judoka

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 1, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you're curious about the glow:
You can get lucky, regarding the beacon, in which you'll start with a shattered mountain or bit of ice with one in them, as was the case for my last two pilots. The best teams are ones with offensive power, because you'll notice many mechs, if they can't do damage, can't hurt mountains. Try a custom team to cherry-pick the best mechs for the job. (The artillery mech that hits four squares for example).

Note you can only start looking after the first island and yellow beacons will not appear if there's a time capsule already there or on the final mission of an island.

I found the best island to complete first was the Desert Island. It has relatively few mountains, and very few missions with extra help (extra units that can bombard mountains for you). After that it's just about getting lucky.

Also, it's best to search on Easy since it'll give you many more opportunities to collect them and/or smash mountains.

Note you only have to touch the beacon. Once activated it launches a capsule the following turn, which like any other capsule you can collect or protect. So make sure you always no later than your 2nd to last turn otherwise you won't get it. The three pilots you get are terrific, with two of them being arguably the best in the game imo.

Ah, ok... About the glow, then:
So if a map has a beacon on it, it's gonna be inside a mountain or inside of an ice tile, correct? And you say you can "get lucky" - does this mean mountains/ice with a beacon inside can start out half-shattered (at which point you would be able to see the beacon peek out), but don't HAVE to?

If that's how it works, it would still be arduous RNG torture... But at least you wouldn't have to outright shatter mountains/ice, you'd only have to crack it to check for the beacon, and shatter if it's visible.

Guess I'll just get a custom squad of the 4-tile ranged mechs and start shooting all over the place! I need that achievement anyhow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Ah, ok... About the glow, then:
So if a map has a beacon on it, it's gonna be inside a mountain or inside of an ice tile, correct? And you say you can "get lucky" - does this mean mountains/ice with a beacon inside can start out half-shattered (at which point you would be able to see the beacon peek out), but don't HAVE to?

If that's how it works, it would still be arduous RNG torture... But at least you wouldn't have to outright shatter mountains/ice, you'd only have to crack it to check for the beacon, and shatter if it's visible.

Guess I'll just get a custom squad of the 4-tile ranged mechs and start shooting all over the place! I need that achievement anyhow.

Exactly. Just see if it's present and if not look elsewhere.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
What's your best custom squad? I just swapped the science mech out for the ice mech in Rusting Hulks, and it owned. Used Camila, put a 1-shot smoke on the ice mech and a passive on the jet.

Every single mech always had a high-impact turn. Jet has great mobility, Rocket is good artillery with the nice extra of farting out smoke, and Ice has fantastic utility between taking out Alphas, tanking/shielding hits, or just hopping on a hole and taking out a Vek at range.

Pushing is situational and can suddenly let you down, but smoke always works!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I got my perfect hard game with Combat Mech, Laser Mech, and Ice Mech.

The Ice Mech is the easiest auto-include in any custom line-up. Even without Mafan or Bethany, the Cryo Launcher is by far the best weapon in the game. Laser Mech, meanwhile, is maybe the second best. It's got AoE and can deal three damage from the word go. The combat mech is the only one I'd consider fudgable, but two starting damage that upgrade to four is very solid, and it also adds a bit of much needed pushing to round out the squad.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Thanks to this LP, my interest in the game was renewed, and I played for the rest of the achievements that I was missing and the final unlockable squad.

The one I had the most hard time with was the "two islands in 30 minutes" for the Blitzkrieg squad, so I followed your way using the Mantis pilot, which worked a lot better than whatever I was trying -- I still barely got it with a margin of a just a few seconds (!).

I still think that the game could use some update with more variety in missions but I did have a lot of fun revisiting the game. It's definitely one of my favorite games in 2018.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

I still think that the game could use some update with more variety in missions but I did have a lot of fun revisiting the game. It's definitely one of my favorite games in 2018.

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll do a "this game, but more of it" expansion the way they did for FTL somewhere down the line. Though it's honestly a lot of fun as is. I kind of waver between it and Invisible Inc. as my favorite turn-based tactical games.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Invisible Inc. is great, and I'm a big fan of Klei Entertainment, but I like Into the Breach a lot more. I'm not sure it's the best TBS ever, but I think it is the most refined by a wide margin. A Perfect UI, balanced and varied gameplay, along with almost no random element. Nothing about the game clunks, lags, or drags, and every time something goes pie-shaped it's due to my own mistakes.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Skippy McPants posted:

Invisible Inc. is great, and I'm a big fan of Klei Entertainment, but I like Into the Breach a lot more. I'm not sure it's the best TBS ever, but I think it is the most refined by a wide margin. A Perfect UI, balanced and varied gameplay, along with almost no random element. Nothing about the game clunks, lags, or drags, and every time something goes pie-shaped it's due to my own mistakes.
Having failure be the default state of the narrative does take off a ton of the stress, too, since if you whiff another Hard mode run it's what was expected, not the exception.

Invisible, Inc.'s false hope leads inevitably to heartbreak.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

AbstractNapper posted:

Thanks to this LP

Ooh, got a link to the LP?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
My last mission of Into The Breach was probably the most epic experience in gaming. I was down to one mech and one health, one hit away from winning, one hit away from losing. It was the enemy's turn. I had lost everything. It all came down to the final shot the enemy took at the buildings. RNGesus was on my side and decided to turn that into a miss, my shot landed, boom, end of the game. Everything hanging by a thread. You couldn't make a more dramatic movie finale if you tried.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 4, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

redleader posted:

Ooh, got a link to the LP?

Ah, oops, I thought I was writing in the LP thread. It's this one by Smite/Smight:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865177

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

AbstractNapper posted:

Ah, oops, I thought I was writing in the LP thread. It's this one by Smite/Smight:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865177

Cheers!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Slight thread necromancy, but has anyone played around with modding this game? I investigated the state of things earlier this week and apparently there's a dozen or so new squads and pilots with custom art and... varying levels of polish.

It's easy enough to make your own, too. Here's two squads I did the sprites for:

If there's still interest here, I can do a few recommendations!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dog Kisser posted:

Slight thread necromancy, but has anyone played around with modding this game? I investigated the state of things earlier this week and apparently there's a dozen or so new squads and pilots with custom art and... varying levels of polish.

It's easy enough to make your own, too. Here's two squads I did the sprites for:

If there's still interest here, I can do a few recommendations!

Go for it! I haven't checked on the state of the mod scene in a while, and I hope it's starting to pick up some steam.

Also hoping for an Advanced Edition like FTL got.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Where can these mods be found?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Those sprites look great.

I'm sure balance is a tricky thing with making your own squads. Definitely do recommendations since I'm sure most of the ones out there are essentially easy mode or challenge runs.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, here's a small assortment of em'. First things first, you need to get the Mod Loader. Extract to the base game directory and it'll do its thing. Once installed, you'll see a new tab on the main screen called Mod Content. Inside you can toggle different mods and squads. There's only 8 squad slots, so you'll need to pick which ones you want active.

First up, the one I find most polished, the Tectonic Titans. They make LAVA and ROCKS and LAVA ROCKS. They also include gifs - mind you these are fully upgraded weapons, but you get the gist.

You'll note that the Lava mech in the last one normally dumps one square of lava, but the lava it pours flows into cracked tiles made by the hammer mech.

Next, another set of firey boys, the Freezing Inferno. Here's a handy pic with their details.

These guys are fun and are kinda like a good Steel Judoka - the Disposal Mechs.

I keep forgetting about other ones - these guys are just called Collateral. They're really good, but really, REALLY dangerous. I like em'!

This other guy made a squad PACK. Five new squads, with some really clever mechanics, but no custom sprites yet.

The Master Mod List has a bunch of others, including more Squads, Pilots, Weapons, and even a few mission types. They mostly hang out in this Discord. I'm just a beginner currently, but it's pretty easy if you've ever worked with Lua.

poindestructor
Jan 15, 2019

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm waiting to see how replayable this is before picking it up. FTL is something I played when it first came out and I am still playing now. I'm hoping Into The Breach is like that.

Is FTL worth it? I got the game as a gift on Steam.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've used the Freezing Inferno squad for a couple of runs, they're really fun. Would recommend.

poindestructor posted:

FTL is very good, but very different to Breach. A huge amount of elements are unavoidably random, and the skill lies more in learning how to mitigate it and what you need to keep progressing along the power curve than individual fight tactics, although there's definitely that too. Starting loadouts are more suggestions than the kind of set kit you get in Breach, random dodge chances for you and all enemies, random weapons/system options and so on. Definitely worth a shot if you like Breach and have it already though.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

poindestructor posted:

Does the pope poo poo in the woods?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone got some tips for the blitzkrieg squad? I am utterly worthless with them, even on easy.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Star posted:

Anyone got some tips for the blitzkrieg squad? I am utterly worthless with them, even on easy.

You can either invest all the way into the lightning whip with building chain and extra damage, or you can just prioritize getting a new weapon for your Lightning Mech, and later the Hook Mech. Definitely my least favorite team.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

You can either invest all the way into the lightning whip with building chain and extra damage, or you can just prioritize getting a new weapon for your Lightning Mech, and later the Hook Mech. Definitely my least favorite team.

Also play herold in the hook mech so he has a push and pull. It allows a lot better setups

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Blitzkrieg is deffo one of the trickier squads. They require careful mission selection, since they're absolutely The Worst at 'protect unit X' missions.

For the first 2 islands I try to choose a spread of Vek that can be one-shot by the lightning. I also try to aim for the Goo/Spider bosses since your AoE is so well-suited for swarms. The Ice island is actually reasonably well-suited to Blitzkrieg, since the killer robots have only 1 hp.

I like boosting the blitz whip to damage buildings with the first pod core (or +core from a pilot), then I can usually get the 3 damage upgrade after island 1,. That's the point you will get the most bang for your buck, it drops off fast once alphas become more predominant. I do keep my eyes open for an opportunity to replace the hook asap, although this is less necessary with harold or -REDACTED- in the pilot's seat. After that I tend to need something to boost the lightning mech later on: either a backup or a replacement, good thing about Prime mechs is that they have a lot of good stuff. If you can get Silica it's an expensive but fun way to get some big turns.

In general, you need to take your time to map out what you can do with the boulder and hook mech to set up better chains. Sometimes you need to use your own mechs to lengthen chains. If you have Abe or + HP you aggressive in taking blitz damage yourself (mostly in the first island tho). You also get a lot of opportunities to block spawns with rocks.

This is the team that's most likely to lead you into 'pilot dead no matter what' situations in my experience, but that's just part of playing blitzkrieg. It's a high-variance squad, which is generally a bad sign but when you set up the big turns it is really fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Star posted:

The grappling hook mech has armour built in, use it to close gaps in the chain to hit more stuff with the chain lightning.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Get HP on the boulder mech asap, so it will survive friendly fire.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Blitzkrieg becomes pretty fun once you stop caring about whether pilots survive and you do a bigass chain that kills the whole field with reckless abandon.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

more than other teams, I feel that blitzkrieg profits from placing Silica in the lightning mech. This because the damage doesn't keep up with alpha vek's hp pools and you either need him or a weapon that does 4 damage in your arsenal, especially on 4 island runs.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just got this game and have been playing it and watching smight's videos (pausing and guessing what will happen) but no matter what team I have, how many upgrades I get, and how well the first two islands go things go to poo poo the third island. Please advise.

(I'll go read back in the thread but I just wanted to ask first...)

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I just got this game and have been playing it and watching smight's videos (pausing and guessing what will happen) but no matter what team I have, how many upgrades I get, and how well the first two islands go things go to poo poo the third island. Please advise.

(I'll go read back in the thread but I just wanted to ask first...)
Have you gotten any 2-island victories? The game gets harder when you do more islands, so going to the final battle early on is usually the best bet if you just want to win.

Although it may not seem that way at first, your campaign is actually won or lost primarily on the map screen. Look at the mission objectives and the map preview, and really consider how confident you are. Train missions have good rewards, but they are very difficult, so it's often a good idea to skip them. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of your team. Sometimes "block 3 Vek spawns" will be a nightmare or very easy depending on your team, and same for "kill at least 7 enemies".

Those are the biggest tips I can think of. Beyond that, just keep playing and it'll click for you. I don't know exactly what changed, but I went from struggling to beat the game on normal to clearing every objective and getting every gold medal for every team. It just takes a lot of practice.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've done two island victories alright and try to avoid train missions. It's trying to keep going one more island so I can unlock garbage island :negative:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've done two island victories alright and try to avoid train missions. It's trying to keep going one more island so I can unlock garbage island :negative:
What squad do you find works best for you so far? What pilot are you using for them, and in which mech?

If you are putting off the hardest island until last, you may want to consider doing it first instead. Early on you have fewer options, but you'll also face fewer alphas. Just something to think about when you know you'll be doing all available islands.

Try not to get tunnel vision. It's really easy to mentally lock into the first solution you see, but make sure you give yourself some time to look for better options. Also consider what moves will put you in the best position for future turns whenever possible.

As you get more experience, you'll get better at spotting the equipment that will compliment your team. Having another weapon option can give you a lot of flexibility, especially for science mechs that tend to have more situational tools. However, you don't get a lot of reputation so you have to be very cautious about what you buy. I almost always choose the pilot for a perfect island reward, unless the weapon option is exactly what I need. Even if you don't want the pilot's skill, you can always trade the pilot for 2 stars, which would let you buy something else in the shop.

It is hard to give general advice for this game, since a lot of it comes down to finding the best solution for a particular tactical situation, but I hope some of this is helpful.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You're not really giving us much to work with to figure out what goes wrong for you; the key to being good at this game is action economy - figuring out which moves will neutralize/reposition/damage more than one vek for each of your mechs, and/or put your mechs in a good position for the next turn. If you focus too much on kills instead of synergistic moves, I could see how you can get overwhelmed once more high-hp alpha veks show up. A bad start on a map can easily lead to unavoidable multiple grid losses down the line.

Keep in mind, killing too many veks too fast is counter-productive, as that leads to multiple additional spawns showing up. Repositioning veks to block other veks' attacks or spawns is essential.

For upgrading your mechs, additional mobility is essential because it makes you more flexible and gives you better options for good moves each turn. Active abilities that don't cost much power and supplement your mech's primary attacks should also be prioritized.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 10, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah my immediate thought of a possible newbie trap was investing in HP for your mechs over mobility. Beyond that, it's a lot of situational stuff. I guess also make sure you're previewing enemy types for each island and picking your route based on that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Promising start with Steel Judoka was cut short on the third island by loving burrowers. There's basically nothing you can do against a high health one if you're unlucky with where they surface. You basically have to waste 3 turns shooting at them with the siege mech because it only does a measly 2 damage and nothing else can even do anything. Went from maxed grid with 29% resist to 3 bars before I decided gently caress it and pulled the plug. I really hate this game at times.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, if you don't have solid answers for an enemy type, I'd just avoid the place entirely. Nothing wrong with going for a 2 or 3 island victory.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
For the Judoka, the right answer is always upgrade Vek Hormones and kill them with friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

While this is currently bumped I may as well post that me and a few other guys are working on a mod that adds a new Plant Vek army and new island to fool around on. Naturally it's all in the ugly balance and playtesting phases, but we at least have concepts ready.

All in varying stages of playable, and the actual ability to add the new island in (which involves swapping out for one of the current islands with an in-game UI) is currently up and running.

It's still very ugly and early, but ideally we'll have it up and running by summer!