Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dog Kisser posted:

While this is currently bumped I may as well post that me and a few other guys are working on a mod that adds a new Plant Vek army and new island to fool around on. Naturally it's all in the ugly balance and playtesting phases, but we at least have concepts ready.

All in varying stages of playable, and the actual ability to add the new island in (which involves swapping out for one of the current islands with an in-game UI) is currently up and running.

It's still very ugly and early, but ideally we'll have it up and running by summer!

I'm really digging those sprites. They're really cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Dog Kisser posted:

While this is currently bumped I may as well post that me and a few other guys are working on a mod that adds a new Plant Vek army and new island to fool around on. Naturally it's all in the ugly balance and playtesting phases, but we at least have concepts ready.

All in varying stages of playable, and the actual ability to add the new island in (which involves swapping out for one of the current islands with an in-game UI) is currently up and running.

It's still very ugly and early, but ideally we'll have it up and running by summer!

That looks sick!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Plant Vek look dope! Can they show up alongside other Vek, or is a given island either/or? Can they be on any island, or just the new one? Do they use any new attacks/mechanics you're comfortable sharing this early on?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Toast Museum posted:

Plant Vek look dope! Can they show up alongside other Vek, or is a given island either/or? Can they be on any island, or just the new one? Do they use any new attacks/mechanics you're comfortable sharing this early on?

Currently they're just on the one island for storyline reasons, but mixing them all together in a big pile would literally be like a single extra line of code. Attacks and mechanics have changed like five times since the first time we thought of it, so it's all up in the air, but at least one concept would see them by and large being pretty slow moving. Some would get around this by burrowing, but others would simply try to find something within range to attack... And if they couldn't, to replant themselves and bloom into the blue Alpha Variants.

We don't want this to be harder or anything than the normal Vek, just very different feeling. It's a puzzle game, after all, so we want the new pieces to fit in. The big tree (Sequoia, currently) would function as a boss fight, spawning roots that would burrow and attack while the main body chilled somewhere else, almost immobile.

I'm being vague because I don't want to get your hopes up too early, but I've already done the sprites for something like 8 other modded squads and I'm busily grinding my way through these guys too. I do solidly feel like we'll get these guys done, certainly at least SOME of them!

The animation here isn't mine, though the concept sprite was, but that's about the level of polish we're trying for.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 28, 2019

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dog Kisser posted:

Currently they're just on the one island for storyline reasons, but mixing them all together in a big pile would literally be like a single extra line of code. Attacks and mechanics have changed like five times since the first time we thought of it, so it's all up in the air, but at least one concept would see them by and large being pretty slow moving. Some would get around this by burrowing, but others would simply try to find something within range to attack... And if they couldn't, to replant themselves and bloom into the blue Alpha Variants.

We don't want this to be harder or anything than the normal Vek, just very different feeling. It's a puzzle game, after all, so we want the new pieces to fit in. The big tree (Sequoia, currently) would function as a boss fight, spawning roots that would burrow and attack while the main body chilled somewhere else, almost immobile.

I'm being vague because I don't want to get your hopes up too early, but I've already done the sprites for something like 8 other modded squads and I'm busily grinding my way through these guys too. I do solidly feel like we'll get these guys done, certainly at least SOME of them!

Looks and sounds awesome, can't wait to see it in action.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow oh wow. Whoever recommended pairing Mafan with the Ice mech deserves a loving medal. I'd not played the frozen titans much before reading that in this thread. They seemed alright, and the default cryo launcher was good but not ludicrous. After many false starts and a few failed finales on hard mode for the achievement using the aegis, combat and laser mech I said gently caress it, sub the ice for the combat. Just devastating. I opted for the 2 island win mostly out of safety but I'm pretty sure I could have finished all four with at worst minor difficulty considering I didn't fail an objective. Plus with the extra power I saved not having to put into secondary weapons/ mafan HP, I was maxed on damage for the BB and had the shield with the aegis in addition to max move for all. I then decided why not push my luck and got in the same playthrough 2 achievements (maybe 3, I forget) for the custom squad with 3 ice mechs which was just hilarious. The ice mech was then pivotal in completing both engineering dropout and chronophobia in the same run for my first complete titans game, admittedly on easy. And it was also central to getting Lucky start though I'm having a hard time remembering that one since this was done over like the last 2, 2.5 days tops.

Also the plant mod looks cool as heck

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Dog Kisser posted:

These sprites look so good!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Still a long, long while from release, but we have most of them wiggling around at least! Dark blue ones are alpha versions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That last one is my favorite.

Anyway, finally finished the achievements and got the secret squad and whoever said they were kinda disappointing for all the effort wasn't wrong. My last achievement was beating the game with all squads and it was the damned fire squad that was holding me back. Said hell with it and did it with mantis so I could use his repair in a pinch if they weren't on fire. I do not get the love for that team

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Those Vek sure are purdy. Shame there isn't a steam workshop for this game, tho.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hi, it's been a while, but here's a beta release. Still pretty rough, but we've currently got... eight new baddies (I think?) and a new island which a bunch of new junk to play with.

First, download this Mod Loader and just drop it into your game directory.

Next, download this and drop it into the new Mod folder.

Finally, hop into the game, go to the Mod Content tab, then go to Arrange Islands - drag the lady-who-looks-suspiciously-like-Ellen-Page over to the left somewhere. Only four islands a game, so whichever one is left behind doesn't get loaded. You will unfortunately require a new game AND restart for this all to kick in - just how it works under the hood!

Next time you start a game you'll have a strange new island available with a beautiful placeholder island image and an equally-lovely empty CEO office image. Beyond that it's actually decently polished. Give it a shot and let us know what you think, though be aware that almost everything is subject to change as we playtest!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

This is real neat. I gave it a quick playthrough as my first island and encountered no problems. Other than possibly a mountain turning into a desert tile upon being broken? Its a good mod already, though if there are also trees then I guess I didn't even see all the enemies yet.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jvie posted:

This is real neat. I gave it a quick playthrough as my first island and encountered no problems. Other than possibly a mountain turning into a desert tile upon being broken? Its a good mod already, though if there are also trees then I guess I didn't even see all the enemies yet.

We have currently goooot... let me check...
  • Chomper - Melee pull attack
  • Sprout - Slow and weak, if it cannot attack it plants itself and evolves into an alpha version
  • Sunflower - Doubleshot ranged attacker
  • Springseed - Jumps and drops ACID
  • Fumeshroom - Smokes a tile then attacks, cannot be pushed
  • Bud - Launches helicopter seeds that can fly and attack, cannot be pushed
  • Cactus - Immobile, spawns in sight of a building if possible, retargets to fire at mechs or NPCs that are closer than its initial target
  • Infuser - Hits an ally with a mist that evolves them into an alpha next turn - or a boss if they're already an alpha
  • Beanstalker - Charges across the field to slam against target, pushes things adjacent to the charge path
  • Alpha versions of several of the above
  • Boss versions of several of the above
  • Sequoia - That big tree monster, partially implemented, spawns several roots across the map - all of them attack same direction
Also a bunch of new mission types.
  • Convoy - Like Train, but it's two trucks that can be pushed and moved around.
  • Flash Flood - Each turn, a line of water snakes across the map. The turn after, it refills with earth.
  • Meadow - Green grass, many flower creatures spawn each turn
  • Volcanic Vents - Fire blasts up from below a marked tiles, instantly destroying anything left on them.
  • Geysers - Water blasts units left on the tile up into the air, dropping them on a random point in the map into a water tile.
  • Bugs - Normal bug Vek spawn in addition to plant Vek!
  • Windstorm - Each turn, wind blows from the bottom left to upper right, pushing every unit on the map.
  • Assorted nature-y defense missions - Protect the Greenhouse or Geothermal facility.
And that's just stuff currently in there. Its not all polished, but it's more polished already than I thought it would be, and it's all perfectly playable.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does the earth mover count as a unit or building with regards to being lit on fire?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Does the earth mover count as a unit or building with regards to being lit on fire?

If you click on it, it should tell you whether it's fireproof or not. From memory, it can take fire fine but will die to the chain lightning mech as if it were a unit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Both the Earth Mover and Terraformer count as units, and both can catch fire. Be careful!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hi, the new island mod is going well. Like, really well.

Really, really well.

We're still in testing/QA phase, but currently we have something like 10 new enemies, five new bosses, six new weapons, something like a dozen new missions, and various other surprises. Can't give a formal release date yet, but something like... late spring?

edit: ...Or maybe instead later today, stand by :P

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 8, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Dog Kisser posted:

Hi, the new island mod is going well. Like, really well.

Really, really well.

We're still in testing/QA phase, but currently we have something like 10 new enemies, five new bosses, six new weapons, something like a dozen new missions, and various other surprises. Can't give a formal release date yet, but something like... late spring?

Hell yeah!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Timelines are a funny thing. In the infinite expanse of possibility, there are branches in which things are... different. In some, this is as minor as slight variations in population. In others, the Vek attacked sooner, dropping the breachers into an already blighted world. In others, there is... Meridia.

Some quirk of geology or probability sees one island replaced by a verdant land of hostile beauty. An island in which the Vek take on new and unusual forms. An island in which all your training, all your instincts, must be reassessed. An island in which you must go...

Meridia is a brand new island, with brand new enemies, missions, and more! The island is green and lush, but the weather is harsh and unpredictable, the Vek strangely plant-like, and the missions tougher than ever. Luckily, you'll have help in the form of several powerful weapons - and once you've acclimatized yourself, even the weather can be turned against your foes!
Enemies:

Missions:
Meridia is a tumultuous land, but people live out their lives even so. In saving this land, the Commander might face Geysers, Volcanic Vents, Flash Floods, High Winds, and more. Protect Convoys of trucks, defend Greenhouses, Hotels, Geothermal Plants, and protect planes until they can take off!
Weapons:
Meridia is not a military organization, but a scientific one... but that doesn't mean their tools can't be turned to devastating use!

Achievements:
For the first time ever, gain brand new modded achievements! Eight new challenges must be faced, one of which - when completed - unlocks a secret.

Additionally, using the API created in this mod, achievements can be added to other mods as well!

quote:

To check on status of Achievements, check under Mod Content and select Achievements.
Into the Wild - requires mod loader to function.
Mod Loader - originally made by Cyberboy2000 and continued by kartoFlane.

quote:

Installation
1. Scroll down to Readme.md here, to install the mod loader.
2. Download this mod and place it in within the mods folder in your ITB directory.
3. Run game, open Mod Content
4. Enter Arrange Islands and choose four islands to be active during gameplay. Note that due to story conceits RST must be in play.
5. Restart the game in order to lock in the chosen islands.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I love the colour palette; it looks so vibrant.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I love the colour palette; it looks so vibrant.

Thanks - be sure to let me know about any balance issues or whatnot as you test it out. General consensus seems to be so far that it's slightly tougher than the other islands, but I'm not sure how much of that is people needing to learn new patterns to fight them.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
This is incredible work and I'm tempted to double-dip on the game for PC just to play your mod.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Thanks! If you can afford it, I'd recommend the PC version as the definitive one anyhow - beyond this mod, there's twenty or so new squads and dozens of new weapons and pilots. Someone's also working on a mod with a dimension hopping baddie you have to whittle down over multiple playthroughs.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Dog Kisser posted:

Thanks! If you can afford it, I'd recommend the PC version as the definitive one anyhow - beyond this mod, there's twenty or so new squads and dozens of new weapons and pilots. Someone's also working on a mod with a dimension hopping baddie you have to whittle down over multiple playthroughs.

Did my first run of plant island today and I think I encountered a bug with the generic pilot (Zoe something)? I don't remember seeing the avatar before, so I'm assuming you added meridia generics. She was selling for 2 stars instead of one despite not having abilities, unless that's what the secret is.

Good stuff though, new enemies are engaging and the handful of mission types I got were neat. It all felt pretty balanced playing on hard, fun ways to play with and around how the enemies work.

Got an acid sprayer and beam I didn't have a mech for, and a flood thingy that unfortunately I never had a good time to use, but I had fun targeting it anyway.

Can't comment on all the new enemies or weapons but everything I saw looked good in motion. The mushroom's big spore cloud was especially great, that's really well done.

Ah gently caress and the little popup boxes for the new mechanics, those are v nice.

A+ will definitely be keeping it over miserable robot island.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 16, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Gitro posted:

Did my first run of plant island today and I think I encountered a bug with the generic pilot (Zoe something)? I don't remember seeing the avatar before, so I'm assuming you added meridia generics. She was selling for 2 stars instead of one despite not having abilities, unless that's what the secret is.

Good stuff though, new enemies are engaging and the handful of mission types I got were neat. It all felt pretty balanced playing on hard, fun ways to play with and around how the enemies work.

Got an acid sprayer and beam I didn't have a mech for, and a flood thingy that unfortunately I never had a good time to use, but I had fun targeting it anyway.

Can't comment on all the new enemies or weapons but everything I saw looked good in motion. The mushroom's big spore cloud was especially great, that's really well done.

A+ will definitely be keeping it over miserable robot island.

Glad you liked it! Also yeah the new generic pilot has a bug that we keep forgetting to fix. Pretend she was independently wealthy or something until we fix it. Also yes the Flood Generator is great fun, even though in practice it has made my life harder than easier every single time. Also also yeah Pinnacle is the pits. Overall I'm pleased with the comments from people across the community - the initial reaction was 'oh man this is too hard' but over the last week or so I keep seeing people (including those people) perfecting the island, so there's at least an element of unfamiliarity that throws people off.

If people are playing with mods, I REALLY suggest this one:

Grid Shields replaces Grid Defense +3 with something more generally useful. Now you don't have to groan in annoyance whenever you get it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I just got ITB (on Switch) and like pretty much everyone else, I absolutely love it. I'm not very far into it, and will be slowly going back through this thread to take everything in, but already, it's fantastic.

I knew that saving the buildings was objective #1, but it didn't REALLY hit me until I started seeing the dialogue from residents.

"Hey dad, move out of the way!" :smith:

Now I definitely have to save everyone. :black101:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Wow I missed the original release of that mod but that's really good work, Dog Kisser.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Had a hankering to play this game again. When I first got the game I played until I got all the achievements... so my new challenge is to beat 2, 3 and 4 maps on Hard with all teams.

Two observations:

1. +3 DEF sucks
2. Steel Judoka sucks

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Carbolic posted:

2. Steel Judoka sucks

The Vice Fist is a great weapon, if it's a secondary weapon that you can choose to use to dunk enemies in water, or have a second choice of where to put them / pull them out of a spot where pushing would be bad.

It's a terrible weapon to have as your *only* option, and buying some second weapon for the Judo mech is often a good play, even an off-class Ranged weapon. At that point, you then have a 4-base-move armored mech running around the board with a Prime Spear, Mercury Fist, Heavy Rocket, Vulcan Artillery, etc.

Gravity Mech also usually wants a second weapon but it can probably go without for a little longer.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Steel Judoka is my favorite squad. Their damage partially scales with enemy numbers and damage, so I feel they are undertuned early on in Normal, but are quite good for the first island on Hard.

Agreed that Vice Fist tends to want an upgrade, but there are a ton of great Prime weapons out there. Upgrading (or getting a second manipulation option) on the gravity mech is also good.

[It's possible that my memory is rosy because Kazakpletth on the gravity mech is super super strong.]

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

FreeKillB posted:

Steel Judoka is my favorite squad. Their damage partially scales with enemy numbers and damage, so I feel they are undertuned early on in Normal, but are quite good for the first island on Hard.

Agreed that Vice Fist tends to want an upgrade, but there are a ton of great Prime weapons out there. Upgrading (or getting a second manipulation option) on the gravity mech is also good.

[It's possible that my memory is rosy because Kazakpletth on the gravity mech is super super strong.]

Any Prime 'mech can buy a second weapon. If the selling point of a Prime 'mech is that it can buy a better weapon than it starts with, then it's a bad 'mech.

Cluster Artillery is terrible before you can upgrade it, and bad afterward. In theory you use it to bracket a building being attacked on all sides and scoot all the Vek away. In practice it's rare to find a building that has no adjacent buildings. And even after the friendly-fire upgrade, if you have a building-Vek-building chain then you still can't shoot at the building. It is just super inconvenient to use without damaging something important, and is only upgradeable to do 2 points of damage to boot.

Gravity 'mech = it's OK.

The concept of Steel Judoka is clearly that you manipulate the enemy into killing each other, but Cluster Artillery does too much collateral damage to reliably be able to push Vek around where you want it to, Gravity 'mech can't fly, and Vice Fist gives worse re-positioning options than most artillery 'Mechs (since the square behind you has to be open). Rift Walkers and Flame Behemoths are both better at manipulating enemies to hit each other. Also, virtually any psion makes a get-the-enemies-to-kill-each-other strategy much harder, and only one of your un-upgraded units can one-shot a psion (and only if it's next to something).

All of this is relative. I'm not saying you can't win with Steel Judoka, just that they are underpowered (and not particularly fun, despite what should be a cool gimmick).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/subsetgames/status/1540017509901799424
I'd say this warrants a bit of necromancy.

Current bullet points:

quote:

New Mechs and Weapons: Five new mech squads and nearly forty new weapons.

New Challenges: More enemies, more bosses, and more mission objectives that add additional challenge and variety to any run.

New Pilot Abilities: The expanded roster includes four new pilots and triple the amount of skills any pilot can earn through promotions.
Plus iOS & Android versions and a physical edition for the Nintendo Switch.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 23, 2022

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/subsetgames/status/1540017509901799424
I'd say this warrants a bit of necromancy.

Current bullet points:
```New Mechs and Weapons: Five new mech squads and nearly forty new weapons.

New Challenges: More enemies, more bosses, and more mission objectives that add additional challenge and variety to any run.

New Pilot Abilities: The expanded roster includes four new pilots and triple the amount of skills any pilot can earn through promotions.```
Plus iOS & Android versions and a physical edition for the Nintendo Switch.

Amazing. Excited for new skills like +2 DEF, +4 DEF and my personal favourite, +1 DEF.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Carbolic posted:

Amazing. Excited for new skills like +2 DEF, +4 DEF and my personal favourite, +1 DEF.

lol loving newb, def is only a binary skill, you either take 1 less damage or not. +4def? What would that even mean? Maybe try engaging with the mechanics next time.

Anyway this is cool. Though I worry that the amount of extra weapons will dilute the pool too much unless they are additional ways to get weapons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Through Netflix?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

jokes posted:

Through Netflix?

Yeah, how does this work?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You sign into Netflix on your phone, you click on games, select the game itself, and then, at least on Android, it takes you to the app store where you have to verify your Netflix account. Once you do, you literally install the app as usual.

Essentially, this game will be on the Play store, but gated behind a Netflix account verification.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is the first I'm hearing of Netflix getting into the gaming business. Bleh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, forgot a couple things; the game may have a separate, extra splash screen than it would normally, which says it's with Netflix, and your profile is tied to whatever user profile you have on Netflix itself (which are free to make and I don't think there's a limit on how many you can have).

I don't yet know I there's any sort of 'always connected' business going on, or if it's like NSO, where it only needs to be connected once per week.

I am of course willing to put up with any and all of that bullshit for mobile Into the Breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Matt and a beta tester had a few more things to say on the subreddit announcement thread - existing abilities have had power rebalanced, the new squads are supposedly similar in power to the old ones (if requiring different strategies), Steel Judoka apparently didn't get reworked significantly, +3 Grid Defense is still there (and they made a joke suggestion of adding +4 Grid Defense - Matthew Davis said they totally should have and it's not too late), there's a new armored train mission but the unarmored ones are still there, the new difficulty "Unfair" is a notable step up from Hard that playtesters are having a hard time winning, and, sadly, Secret Squad pilots still cannot consume other pilots to gain their powers.