Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
man, the secret squad sure sucks. i usually play hard and with them i just cleared normal by the skin of my teeth. i was expecting something silly for how much you have to work to get them, not the absolute worst team in the game.

sick combination of short ranged push weapons on two of them combined with them being so loving slow. no synergy at all between them either - i got lucky and got the passive that increased collision damage to the vek which i guess balanced out the poo poo luck of getting perks like masochist, tough skin, and that GOD drat grid def trait. all parts costing an extra core to use on top of their default stuff being core expensive is also just hosed. and no pilot abilities. just misery.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Got this on my phone, so new save, first game in a couple years. Should have probably gone after the final island after beating the third since I had my weapons powered up (mostly) and didn't do great on the fourth, then I lost the final battle on the last turn by a single hit to my grid I couldn't prevent after misclicking my first move. Into the Breach!!!

8 achievement points, what squad to unlock first? Guess I should try to beat it with the starter squad.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah the only thing in this game I do sometimes hate is the limited nature of the undo, it just feels like really arbitrary difficulty. If they are going to give you the ability to undo at all, it seems like you should just be able to freely make use of it until you choose to end the turn. Otherwise it is far too easy to put yourself into a corner by mistakes like mis-clicking, misunderstanding a UI cue (like showing how enemies will be pushed by an attack), not understanding yet how the abilities of a new squad work etc. and in those cases being stuck because of "sorry you already used the 1 undo" just feels like dumb bullshit
Outstanding game other than that and the occasional need to grind Achievements for unlocks though.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

It'll ruin the game for you if you're not disciplined about using it but the console opens with ` and "undoturn" will reset the turn even during the enemy phase.

I'm enjoying the unfair difficulty and the new squads, although I think about 1/3 of my wins have hinged on getting the grid overloader or spider bombs on Silica. I don't remember if Conservative was a trait in the base game, but it's also crazy powerful if you can live long enough to buff up one of the tank deploying weapons. 3 life / 2 damage push projectile tank is almost another full team member, and having two of them out is basically unbeatable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

How does enemy AI work in this game exactly?
Does it work like a puzzle game where it's purposefully makes moves that have a guaranteed solution every single time or not?

They apparently worked very hard on the AI to avoid it putting you into obviously unwinnable situations, but they didn't make it guaranteed that you'd have a way out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mkixA960s&t=1419s

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If there was always a guaranteed perfect turn, it would create some weird incentives. It makes planning useless. Don't need to worry about leaving your units in a bad position. There's always a way you can get out of it. Buying upgrades would be bad because it would increase the search space. The ideal strategy would be based around giving yourself as few options as possible to make the puzzle easier.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just had Self-destruct drop alongside Heal on Kill passive. Wish me luck that this interaction works out in the expected way.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Can the Mist Eaters restore a dead mech by dropping smoke on it?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can the Mist Eaters restore a dead mech by dropping smoke on it?

Yes, and it will revive the pilot aswell! I accidently killed my saved pilot and then accidently revived him again yesterday! Good thing I resisted smashing abandon run for once! :v:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Senethro posted:

I just had Self-destruct drop alongside Heal on Kill passive. Wish me luck that this interaction works out in the expected way.

It does!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Tunicate posted:

They apparently worked very hard on the AI to avoid it putting you into obviously unwinnable situations, but they didn't make it guaranteed that you'd have a way out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mkixA960s&t=1419s

I actually just got into an unwinnable turn during the HQ defence on island three. I feel like I couldn't have really predicted it either. Maybe by being slightly more conservative and willing to take a bunch of grid damage the turn prior, solely on the possibility that it might happen?

I was playing Zenith Guard. An Alpha Scorpion and Alpha Mosquito both spawned that turn and both targeted my gunner mech, which meant my primary damage source was webbed and smoked. That might have been recoverable, but the other Vek happened to move in just such a way as to block off all methods my other two Mechs had of actually getting the gunner free. I must have stared at the screen for 15 minutes trying to figure out the best outcome.

Even though my Skilled Kai was in the gunner, I ended up playing it out. I came surprisingly close to winning, but didn't make it. I probably would have just slammed the abandon timeline option if I hadn't been on the last mission before getting the Chronophobia achievement. Oh well, :xcom:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I've had a corporate tower fight against the tumblebug where the center was blocked by a line of cities, and the first thing the boss did on turn 0 was move up and block off the top chokepoint with exploding rocks that threatened the tower and another city, forcing my entire squad to go all the way around the bottom chokepoint to get into the fight.

Needless to say I did not clear all the objectives on that mission.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Yeah, turns out its a pretty good boss deleter.

What about Technicians? Do those guys auto-rez if theres a turn left?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Viscera Nanobots is pretty good, but have you ever had a HazMechs squad with Networked Shielding :happyelf:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've put a lot of hours into the game but somehow can never manage to win on Hard, things always escalate and then spiral downwards fast. Any useful tips for Hard in comparison to playing on normal?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've put a lot of hours into the game but somehow can never manage to win on Hard, things always escalate and then spiral downwards fast. Any useful tips for Hard in comparison to playing on normal?

I've never played normal, and you don't provide a lot of detail to figure out what you're doing wrong. Investing reactors in mobility is always a good way to start. Maneuverability gives you options. You don't necessarily need to take out veks before the final two turns, as that will only result in additional spawns. Blocking spawn points is almost always a good idea, so you don't vget overwhelmed. The best way to do that is by relocating other veks on top of them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It also helps to look at the board and prioritize. Which vek attacks must be stopped(city damage, pilot kills)? Which attacks can be ignored(targeting a mech with an attack that doesnt bind and doesnt hit a city if you move the mech)?

Once you know how many vek you need to deal with look at the board for places where you can deal with multiple of them with a single mech.

When all of that is done, then do vanity attacks/spawn blocks with the leftover vek.

And the big thing is to decide your whole turn before firing a shot. If you're moving a mech before deciding what the others will do, you're more likely to make a mistake.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Killing enemies too fast before the 2nd to last turn just makes more of them spawn, so blocking veks is actually more valuable than killing them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol wow playing the rusting hulks on phone is way harder than I remembered

anyone have a genius strat for turn 1 of this boss battle? I think I'm stuck taking city damage or losing a mech regardless of what I do.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
It’s too late but you super put your charge mech in the wrong spot. It should be where the flying bug is. The pull mech should be where the charge mech is.

I don’t remember the damage of the charge mech but charge the flying bug, use it as a body blocker to line up a shield on the far city?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Naramyth posted:

It’s too late but you super put your charge mech in the wrong spot. It should be where the flying bug is. The pull mech should be where the charge mech is.

I don’t remember the damage of the charge mech but charge the flying bug, use it as a body blocker to line up a shield on the far city?

I was hoping to catch both the charge mech and the tower with my shield, so it could avoid the recoil from its charge attack.

charge mech deals 2 damage so it'll kill it instead of shielding.

even if I get the charge mech around that corner, the best case is killing the firefly early, but that still hits a city, because the stupid 'ignores allies' beam upgrade doesn't ignore allied buildings

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The 'buildings immune' and 'allies immune' is very confusing when you get two mechs with one of each as upgrades during a random run.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

lol wow playing the rusting hulks on phone is way harder than I remembered

anyone have a genius strat for turn 1 of this boss battle? I think I'm stuck taking city damage or losing a mech regardless of what I do.
If you pull the hornet toward the defense mech (in its current position), can your charge mech then move into position to attack the firefly boss? If so, attack the firefly with the charge mech. That will push it in front of the laser mech, allowing you to finish it off with the laser and avoid taking grid damage.

If not, then I think the best you can do is use the defense mech to pull the hornet into the path of the firefly's shot, so you only take 2 grid damage instead of 4. Make sure you also move the charge mech into a better position for next turn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I ended up just killing the flier with my ram mech, and using the science to shield the beam mech, and just blew up the city myself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What are some good custom squads?

I can report that Napalm Mech + Smog Mech + probably anything is a Fun Time

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's no way to transfer saves between android and pc, right?

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

What are some good custom squads?

I can report that Napalm Mech + Smog Mech + probably anything is a Fun Time

Lightning mech, boulder tosser and bomb tosser is pretty great.

Put Kai in the lightning mech and kill nearly everything on the map in one turn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kai with technician and +1 reactor seems pretty good

not as dominating as the silica I had on bombermen squad

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just ran into the cascading resonator for the first time. The biggest issue I have with equipping it is that I keep wanting to set up sick kill chains using it, when frequently I'm better off only using it very situationally.

I can't imagine trying to use it without the building immunity upgrade powered on though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I've ended up getting this game on PC, Switch and Android:

PC:
Easiest to use but easiest for my ADD to get distracted. Worst portability. I'm easily distracted by other games/the internet.

Switch:
Seems like the ideal home for this. Excellently portable and the controls are basically designed for the game.

Android:
Touch controls are very well done. Also I can't bring my desktop, laptop or Switch in to work at the Amazon FC. I can, however, bring my phone. Some of the UI information isn't as easily accessible (you don't have the menu in the top left reminding you who has/hasn't moved for example). Also I'm now subscribed to Netflix so I'll probably soon re-watch Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I've now won a bunch of Unfairs with new and original teams, but I keep chickening out of going for an Unfair 4 island victory. Somehow the 4th Island always has a grabber, flyer, tumblebug and the Psion that perfectly counters my team.

But I just got Silica with reactor as my Time Traveler. Maybe this time?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Senethro posted:

I've now won a bunch of Unfairs with new and original teams, but I keep chickening out of going for an Unfair 4 island victory. Somehow the 4th Island always has a grabber, flyer, tumblebug and the Psion that perfectly counters my team.

But I just got Silica with reactor as my Time Traveler. Maybe this time?

It's a fun challenge, there is a fun surprise on the 4th island on Unfair and you should try it at least once.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

finally finished a 4-island unfair run for rift walkers

yeesh. now to go for perfect unfair :suicide:

I got two perfect islands so it's... technically doable? poo poo gets crazy tho :cry:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Playing on my phone at work last night (It's-a-me! The rear end in a top hat who makes a mockery of the 'no phones out on the floor' rule by using my privilege to openly playing video games on my phone!) and had the most disgusting Mist Eater run.

Only on Normal but 4/4 perfect islands, reached max grid defense at 40% (or +25 points) thanks to getting the weapon that gives +1 grid/kill. Since it was my second run on that save I got 10 achievements as well including all 3 Mist Eater ones (including the "do 4 damage with the afterburner" which I feel is actually bugged to just give it to you).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The +1 grid/kill weapon seems kinda busted especially when paired with conservative. Some mechs can really benefit from having the option of the poke, and it gives you like 50% more reward per mission for jumping through a fairly easy hoop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's especially disgusting if you have it on a pilot with Opener and a mobile mech (I put it on the mind-control mech) so it can run in and nail someone with 2 HP first turn (like the Psion if its on the field)

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
The refractor laser on a pilot who gives boost is just silly. Though it balances out because the ability to just arbitrarily delete enemies makes me play sloppy and I always end up making daft mistakes. Or I prioritise destroying 5 vek in one shot rather than figuring out a more optimal tactic.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Second round of this game: Every achievement again on a new file, saved Hazard Mechs for last.

Hahaha goddamn this is some bullshit; these fuckers are just too good.

e: kill fewer than 5 enemy missions can go to hell

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 17, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kalsco posted:

Second round of this game: Every achievement again on a new file, saved Hazard Mechs for last.

Hahaha goddamn this is some bullshit; these fuckers are just too good.

e: kill fewer than 5 enemy missions can go to hell

The hazard mechs 1 weakness. The pilots just sit there so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
drat. never thought i'd say "i wish i'd gotten grid defence", but...