Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the worst teleconf platform
bluejeans
skype 4 biz / lync
webex
zoom
gotomeeting
join.me
some other bullshit
View Results

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
sniping without reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i finally gave up and bought noise cancelling headphones because everyone else talks like theyre in a windstorm in neighboring desks/conference rooms very far away from me and they helped immensely

they also double as a headset and i can play music on them while on a call so i can multitask ignore my calls at a whole new speed never imagined before

today i listened to an audiobook on a conference call and it made it the most informative call in my career

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

probably intended for that other thread about garbage fires but teleconferencing software is possibly the only thing where a blockchain couldn't make things worse

you say that…

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

and someone rescheduling a meeting now needs to wait for it to be accepted into the meetingchain for a few hours before the invites can go out ... thus delaying everything and disrupting corporate meetings culture...

poo poo ... blockchain good ?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

anything that makes teleconferencing so painful to use that people find other forms of communication is a net good, yes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that was p much my line of thinking

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

today i listened to an audiobook on a conference call and it made it the most informative call in my career

Could you not have just skipped the call entirely? Was someone taking attendance?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
got locked out a bunch early in the week not too long after a SSO password change, finally realized it was Skype for Business's fault

after unlocking my account for the fourth time a very nice man at the helpdesk told me that they reduced the number of people authorized to use Skype for Business to a very small amount of teams that have a critical business need for it

we still use zoom though so V:shobon:V

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doom Mathematic posted:

Could you not have just skipped the call entirely? Was someone taking attendance?

theres about one minute of time im needed and the other participants are hellbent on being there the whole time in case something needs my feedback, which it never does

this is a weekly status meeting that could be done in 5 minutes of short reviews but the group somehow turns into a 40 minute discussion with topics that are better one to one calls

meanwhile they spam dumb emails all week that could instead be handled in this meeting. its the most tedious waterfall project group ive ever worked with

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

at least the other devs will just call me directly and we hammer that poo poo out in a few minutes, but you add a designer that doesn't listen, devs that are overworked, and a ba that's being forced to pm and it all goes to pot quickly

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

theres about one minute of time im needed and the other participants are hellbent on being there the whole time in case something needs my feedback, which it never does

Please do not prepend your posts with a description of your sex life.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Doom Mathematic posted:

i have been skipping a bullshit call for three months now and every week the minutes come out with “absences: Mad Wack” and it feels great

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

Please do not prepend your posts with a description of your sex life.

lol

Mad Wack posted:

i have been skipping a bullshit call for three months now and every week the minutes come out with “absences: Mad Wack” and it feels great

ahaha if only we had minutes, if i skip I get passive aggressive ims and a thank you for joining so the meeting can start :rolleyes:

it is easily the poorest run meeting I attend each week and it devolves into people sniping at each other about nonsense features so I won't lie that sometimes it can be entertaining and worth attending

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if a meeting doesnt have an agenda or it doesnt have an agenda item that requires you, you decline the meeting
easy peasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Meetings in my experience have an agenda, it's usually something along the lines of:

Subject: Project A

1. Determine what needs to be discussed
2. Discuss what has been determined in 1.

Start time: 15:00
End time: When we're done
Meeting notes: Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery to your e-mail inbox.

• Locked thread