Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Stardew Valley is great. Every NPC does tend to like Artisan goods with only one or two exceptions per good (like Penny with Beer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I was disappointed in how small Slime Rancher was at the start.

Then I found some areas.

Then I upgraded my travel suite.

Then I used a slime key.

Then I found more slimes to exploit.

Then I found some teleporters.

Then I found even MORE slimes.

I looked up at the clock and it was 5 AM.
Slime Rancher is powerfully cute.

Also you lucky sonuvagun for finding a golden slime on day 3. I found my first on day like, 10-13 or something. Right outside my farm, right as I was coming back to pen in some slimes. It disappeared before I could feed it anything.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gold slime day three, ok, that's pretty lucky.

Ancient seed day three!?

:stonkhat:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hot dang, I never knew doing those requests opened things up for you.

I stopped checking that board when Richy Rich wanted me to give her two gold plorts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I believe the game reasonably expects you to be able to finish the Community Center by Summer of Year 2. The main obstacle to finishing it earlier is the fact that it wants gold crops and in spring/summer of year 1 you kind of suck generating those because of no/crappy fertilizer.

Other than that it is indeed clever use of the Weekend Gypsy Cart Mart (as I like to call it) on getting rare stuff way earlier than you can normally find it.

Quantum Toast posted:

I think the way Joja works is they're more expensive on seeds/saplings, because they don't want people growing their own stuff, but cheaper on everything else. Could be wrong though, I almost never go in the place.
Without a membership they are flat out more expensive than Pierre's inventory with the only 'benefit' being able to buy Joja Brand stuff on the 'cheap.'

With a membership their prices are equivalent and I think you can get discount coupons (given out at Pierre's, those crafty backstabbing Joja ducks) that does make them cheaper but that's an awful lot of work for Joja and I came to this valley to stop working for those ur-capitalistic crooks! :argh:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's about fair representation. Because after all, nature is magic ergo of course you're going to have wizards, witches, goddesses, sprites, jellybean locus's (the junimo) and all sorts to balance out the modern tech that everyone takes for granted.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The docks are very useful because it's four more ranch plots to stick pink largo's on because lord knows you need that many pink plorts for slime science :argh:

Zebrin posted:

I tend to mix a lot of things with rock slimes because Heart Beets are easy to find, and farm. Odd onions suck but eh...
I did the same. Gotta get those sweet sweet 4 plort per slime harvests!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can find them stray in patches of tall grass but they're very aggressive about eating plorts so they largo up pretty quick (and it's hard to tell their largos from the more common tabbies at a distance). It's best to vac up a few plorts and spread cloaking technology to an easier-to-locate slime.

They're also pretty rare to spawn in my experience. Their gordo is pretty much the best source of non-largo'd hunter slimes in the game. I've seen only a handful otherwise.
This is balanced by the fact that pretty much every feral slime in the jungle is a hunter largo and there are a billion of them so it's really really easy to get their plorts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I tried freeranging in the overgrowth.

One water tank later, I had to get more slimes.

A penned slime is a safe slime :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Morris is the only Joja guy in town, the employees are all townsfolk who have their schedule eaten up by manning the front counter.

And yeah, Morris does not attend festivals.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I've pulled out plenty of Strange Diamonds. Had a hard time getting Royal Jelly until I stuck my apiaries in one particular zone.
Lava Dust.... Lava Dust is my bane.

Also agree that while Ogden's stuff is more useful (FARMS) but Mochi's worth doing. Mochi's stuff takes you like, 3 in-game hours to do tops and it's pretty fun to do. Getting a full tank of Kooka's for Ogden can take an entire in game day sometimes.

Of course, then Thorn lucks out and get's a Lava Dust right off the bat and like, 4 kooka balls one after the other. I've run around there plenty and have a hard time finding just 1.

Edit: Admittedly, I did find a bunch on my first time through there but they seem rather annoying to spawn on repeat trips.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 24, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

Man, Slime Science. Makes you want a second set of tanks on the vac just for science vials.

That's one of the few annoyances I have with this game. 4 tanks + water is pretty reasonable but I wish that you could fill multiple tanks with a single item. You can't, you gotta dump that tank full of whatever before you can pick up more of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Salmonberries are energy fodder, while other special forage (spring onions) are better to sell.
Salmonberry Jam however, is an overall good gift because it counts as an artisan good and gift's don't care how expensive their base item is.

Of course, in the early game when you're pretty much 100% Money Making Game then there's no reason not to sell hundreds of salmonberries.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You don't save Ancient Seeds for the Greenhouse.

You save them for seedmakers.
So you can make more of them without having to rely on digging them up via RNG.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I've only had one slime in my corral of Quantum Largo's ever escape from it. They only seem to do the quantum teleport stuff when they're unhappy.

I also had to get my Phase Lemons from a box. I don't know why it is but I have never seen a lemon on any of those trees ever. Probably because you have to stick around in this area for their grow cycle to complete but the terrible secret of slime ruins is that the door gimmick is just that: a gimmick. You can very easily hit the button once and get almost everywhere in the ruins because most of the doors are outright redundant.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alternative answer for Emily's 'Why are you here?'

'I ate some magic cake made purely out of leftovers.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Ancient Water springs are designed where you can get to 3-4 of the revival plants. You might need the full time to get one but they're spaced as such that you can get every one of them. The big puzzle is finding the right spring for the right set of flowers since the Tangle Plort one is pretty devious. It's kind of the training wheels for the platforming required to get some of those treasure pods.

Mosaic and Tangle Plorts are always good money makers. Even if you absolutely crash their prices they're still going to be worth 30-40 or so slimebux per plort.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There is a reason to continue using a watering can once you've fully sprinklered out your field: sprinklers go on first thing in the morning, so when you plant something if you want it to grow the day you plant it you still have to water the seeds.

The 'Whoo-oooh' sound effect is supposed to be an owl. Much like the Frog, the Owl does not sound that much like an owl.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Creative use for the empty space in barns?

I uh... Just stuff them full of kegs and preserve jars.

In my non-animal barns.

Edit: Crono Trigger is excellent but Eco the Dolphin?

Abigail is weird.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 1, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The train just has a random chance of dropping stuff. It's very finicky and never really worth it since you mostly get stuff like wood and coal.

I always thought mushroom trees were done by another night occurrence that happens in fall but no, it just happens sometimes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mochi's stuff is better than Ogden's stuff because it's timed. While you can easily spend entire in-game days in the Wild looking for Kookadoba's, with Mochi you can do both tracks, get 150-200 plorts in 5 minutes easy and have the rest of the day to do whatever you want.

The slow field is probably the most powerful special you get. At a chokepoint and in a line the slimes are slowed down long enough that their electricity wears off and you can shoot them again. The second track is definitely easier than the first, since the charge stations are easier to get to and you get like, twice as much time as on the first track.

I too am awaiting the Automation update.

And the B0b update. Because there better be one :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The grange display isn't too difficult since it's mostly quality and variety.

Fish are a trap though. They stink.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Between increasing your max energy and your skill levels reducing how much energy it takes to use your tools, with a few Stardrops under your belt you can do a full day's hard work and still have half a tank left. It's pretty great.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Uh, hot dang. I knew you could get Iridium ore from panning, but gems too?

All I ever got was iron and gold.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I too haven't had too much of an issue with duck feathers when having three ducks.

My issue with duck feathers is a bit weird though. I got them pretty consistently but for some reason I could only get 2 duck eggs out of 3 ducks. Which leads me to believe that one of my ducks was on Duck Feather duty the entire time before I got fed up with them and replaced them with blue chickens :v:

Also I tried out the demo for My Time at Portia and I regret not having the money to snag it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I remember fishing up a useful rare thing in winter while trying to get the winter fish.

The Prismatic Shard followed soon after I started Skull Cavern. You can get a lot of geodes in there with mega bombs :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AltaBrown posted:

Some 70 hours into My Time at Portia and I have to say that you're going to need a lot of Carbon Steel. No, like way more than that. Nope, even more. Just - just build three Industrial Furnaces, and have two of them make nothing but Carbon Steel, while the third makes Charcoal. Constantly.

My set up was 2 industrial furnaces making carbon steel and my leftover 2 civil furnaces churning out charcoal.
With three more industrial furnaces filling in gaps as needed (freakin' bronze bars! :argh:)

Tenebrais posted:

Getting a comprehensive cutter/grinder was like a gift from the gods.

They are really great. If you can power them when you get them.

I couldn't :v: I was far off from orange-flavored power and electricity generation was the last thing Petra figured out for me before giving me research notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That's probably the case, I started getting those soon (I was just too busy/too stockpiley to actually use them.)

It still doesn't help when you build one on a monday :v: