Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Bentai posted:

Yeah they were plastic bottles. Not sure about the bottle cap situation, I have to assume they were capped because I don't think an empty plastic bottle would have made it the 70-80 feet from the stands to the field without liquid inside. I have a feeling there's going to be new rules and more security at the next game because of this. The stadium management has already been on edge because of the rowdy nature of the crowds at these games, which is of course vastly different from the sedate fans that come out to watch baseball the rest of the time.

Yes this has been a recurring issue in US soccer with baseball stadiums.

The new era Rowdies (then named FC Tampa Bay thanks to some trademark squatters in Texas) played their first season in 2010 in the Yankee's minor league stadium in Tampa, and the staff there was not very welcoming to soccer fans, from what I have heard.

They moved to Al Lang the following year, and soccer fans were better treated there from what I have heard, but the problem was different in that Al Lang was controlled by the St. Pete Baseball Commission, which was very low rent in nature, i.e., a badly maintained and poorly run facility. Bill Edwards turned that around when he got control of Al Lang away from the baseball commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Rocco Commisso is offering to sink half a billion into NASL to keep its zombie corpse alive in the name of fighting MLS hegemony.

link

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 30, 2018

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I was a big NASL supporter, but the dream is dead and Rocco should move on to something productive. Like supporting pro/rel within USL divisions or Peter Wilt’s cool project with the NPSL that is having trouble gaining traction.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, I think trying to keep the NASL alive in an attempt to take on MLS isn’t the hill to die on. Considering the laissez-faire soccernomics that the USSF supports, the free market was the only thing keeping them viable. Even that failed the NASL!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

Rocco Commisso is offering to sink half a billion into NASL to keep its zombie corpse alive in the name of fighting MLS hegemony.

link

Yeah, like Silva's $4 billion offer for TV rights, I don't take this talk too seriously. Talk is cheap.

camoseven posted:

I was a big NASL supporter, but the dream is dead and Rocco should move on to something productive. Like supporting pro/rel within USL divisions or Peter Wilt’s cool project with the NPSL that is having trouble gaining traction.

I supported TOA/NASL initially, but NASL has repeated all of the mistakes of the original NASL (without getting any of the things right that the original NASL did get right). While NASL was shooting itself in the foot over and over, the USL was quietly learning from its mistakes and improving itself. The situation that existed with USL prior to 2010 simply no longer applies.

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, I think trying to keep the NASL alive in an attempt to take on MLS isn’t the hill to die on. Considering the laissez-faire soccernomics that the USSF supports, the free market was the only thing keeping them viable. Even that failed the NASL!

A lot of people who are/were rabid NASL supporters were in it for ideological reasons which, while theoretically defensible, simply ignored the economic realities of professional soccer in the USA in the 21st century.

Silva and Commisso would get a lot more actually done, towards their alleged goals, if they would work within the existing, functional USL/MLS system rather than continue to pretend that NASL is somehow going to become a viable D1 league challenging MLS and creating a Euro-style pro/rel system all in one go.

But I don't believe Silva and Commisso's claims about what they are allegedly trying to do, anyway.

Commisso even admitted he never watched professional US soccer prior to buying the Cosmos, and now suddenly he's concerned about it, after ignoring it for most of his life?

These guys can't curb their egos and are simply posturing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

LV Lights technical director Jose Luis Sanchez Sola ("Chelis") and coach Isidro Sanchez have been suspended by the USL after the game against Salt Lake last week. So far as I can see, neither the league nor the team is saying what the suspension is for. The Lights staff will not comment about anything until the final league decision comes down at some point this week.

Between that, two red cards over two games, and two other players one card away from a yellow accumulation suspension. I wasn't expecting to cheer for the Las Vegas Dumpster Fires this season.

*edit*
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/992502613114605575
Chelis pokes a finger into the chest of the head referee, 7 games for “assault”.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 5, 2018

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
So uhhh what the gently caress is going on in Rochester? I'm watching this TFC2 vs Pittsburgh match which is inexplicably being played there, and upon further research it looks like the Rhinos are on "hiatus" this year. I don't know how I missed all this, and it's pretty weird overall!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

So uhhh what the gently caress is going on in Rochester? I'm watching this TFC2 vs Pittsburgh match which is inexplicably being played there, and upon further research it looks like the Rhinos are on "hiatus" this year. I don't know how I missed all this, and it's pretty weird overall!

Yeah the article links I posted on the previous page mentions the Rhinos hiatus and the current status of the stadium name/occupancy this year. Hopefully the Rhinos find new owners soon.

Good article about ye olde timey New England lower league soccer:

quote:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/05/08/14/04/20180507-western-mass-pioneers-open-cup-2018

Lusitanos to Pioneers: Ludlow’s Enduring Passion

Whether fronted by the Gremio Lusitano teams of old or the current Western Mass Pioneers of PDL, Ludlow, Massachusetts, and its waves of Portuguese immigrants, have had a near century-long love affair with soccer. And it’s still going strong ahead of the 2018 U.S. Open Cup.

Youngsters begin arriving for practice at Lusitano Stadium in late afternoon. It’s spring and the weather’s starting to warm – the days are getting longer. Later, the lights go on and the Western Mass Pioneers take the field to get ready for their 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup opener against the Elm City Express on May 9.

A statue of Mozambique-born Eusebio da Silva Ferreira – the famed Black Pearl of Portuguese soccer who was known the world over as, simply, Eusebio – greets visitors at the stadium’s front gate. On the right is a barn-like concession area, also housing the Gremio Lusitano Wall of Fame with trophies reaching to the ceiling. Many check in with Western Mass general manager Greg Kolodziey, who played for the Lusitanos before the team became the Pioneers in 1998.

Soccer players have been coming here since 1922, when members of Gremio Lusitano, a culture and recreation club, lined out a dirt field on Winsor Street, across from the clubhouse. The club team competed against the Thistles, a local Scottish squad, and opposition from other New England mill towns. Soon, Gremio Lusitano FC was developing players for the U.S. National Team, advancing deep in both the U.S. Amateur Cup and National Challenge Cup, as the U.S. Open Cup used to be known (they are four-time quarterfinalists), and contending in the revamped American Soccer League.

In the 1940s and ‘50s, the stadium – then named Franklin Field, probably after nearby Franklin Street – attracted capacity crowds for matches, including several against top European teams like Everton FC. A crowd of 4,500 watched on when Lusitano played to a 3-3 draw with Jönköping FC of Sweden in 1951. At the time, Ludlow’s population was listed at just more than 8,000.

NPSL expansion:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So this was finally announced.

quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-spt-usl-expansion-tom-ricketts-fire-20180510-story.html

What does Tom Ricketts’ ownership of a USL expansion team in Chicago mean for the Fire?

The United Soccer League’s expansion into Chicago got a boost Wednesday when it was announced Cubs owner Tom Ricketts will be the new soccer team’s majority owner.

The effort to bring a second-division team to Chicago is a joint effort by developer Sterling Bay and Ricketts, who previously owned a minority stake in English side Derby County. The USL team is expected to begin play in 2021 with plans for a stadium on the proposed Lincoln Yards development.

quote:

http://thecomeback.com/soccer/chicago-ricketts-usl.html

Cubs owner Tom Ricketts signs on for a USL franchise in Chicago, deal includes a new 20,000-seat riverfront stadium

The stadium site was originally pitched as part of Chicago's bid for Amazon's HQ2.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The 7 game suspension for the Las Vegas Lights technical director has been reduced to 4 games. And the team lost on the road to Colorado. Next up, US open cup. Woo.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Alan Koch is a lovely coach and I still want to know why we ever fired John Harkes

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies lose to Jacksonville 1-0 in Jacksonville, in the US Open Cup, ending (hopefully) a very long streak of road losses and ending Coach Stu Campbell's job with the Rowdies.

So, speaking of coaches, the Rowdies are looking for a new head coach/manager.

Hopefully Bill Edwards opens his checkbook and hires someone good this time, and doesn't just promote another already hired assistant coach in the hopes that he will work out okay somehow.

Rowdies have spent entirely too much money on quality players, it makes no sense to cheap out when hiring coaches. We should be getting much better results given the quality of players that we have, and this has been the consistent problem now for four years running.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

When Stu was first promoted, I vainly hoped it was a temporary thing while we searched for a coach. I didn't mind giving him some experience, but it was clear pretty early on that he couldn't get the most out of our players.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So the Rowdies have announced player Neill Collins as the replacement head coach.

This is twice now they have gone with a former player, player/coach as the replacement head coach.

I've seen a similar pattern with the way the New England Revolution chose their replacement head coaches.

I get it, it's a good idea to give a chance to new guys to learn how to coach, I just don't want to see them learning on the job with a team I am currently supporting (selfish, I know).

For once I'd like to see them hire someone with a proven track record.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Salt Lake City drops two on Las Vegas in the first half, and nothing else of note happened for the rest of the game. One of the supporters groups stopped drumming and singing early in the second half, and some of them walked out with 20 to go.

Miserable night in Las Vegas.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
They can’t all be the Golden Knights.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Turns out security told the supporter groups to sit down and shut up. Even though the section they’re all in are specifically designated to allow fans to stand, wave flag, have musical instruments, etc.

Looks like the first big headbutt with team officials is on the way!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rocco Commisso is still on the "NASL to compete with MLS" bandwagon.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Hey, the NPSL regular season is underway. Let's see what's been going on with it and its related teams:

1) Minnesota TwinStars FC cancelled a home match against opponent Minneapolis City SC two days beforehand, despite not having cleared it with either the league or their opponent. Despite doing so, the NPSL has not called said match a forfeit and has instead, again without input from MPLS City, rescheduled it for 6/14. The reason is that they had difficulty finding a place to play the match, as their normal home was not available. On the day the match was supposed to take place, the TwinStars were seen practicing at the field where the rescheduled match took place.

2) As a (the?) resident unabashed Detroit City FC slappy, DCFC's friendly against FC St. Pauli drew ~7,300 and was an absolute blast.
https://twitter.com/jaimitoelcrack7/status/998013408384634881

3) Aris SC still exists, and is still terrible. They allowed 71 goals last season for a -60 differential.

4) FC Wichita's locker room was robbed during their US Open Cup match yesterday.
https://twitter.com/usopencup/status/999708925380489217

\/\/\/\/
Hell yes! I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to make every home and away match this season for once...

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 25, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

sleepwalkers posted:

Hey, the NPSL regular season is underway. Let's see what's been going on with it and its related teams:

2) As a (the?) resident unabashed Detroit City FC slappy, DCFC's friendly against FC St. Pauli drew ~7,300 and was an absolute blast.
https://twitter.com/jaimitoelcrack7/status/998013408384634881

You're not alone D-town brother.

Couldn't make the match but watched on FSD. Gonna miss the league opener tomorrow too. Oh well, don't regret the season pass regardless.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Also a DCFC fan! Missed FC St. Pauli for a wedding.

I’ll be at the game tonight and most home games for the rest of the year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

Also a DCFC fan! Missed FC St. Pauli for a wedding.

I’ll be at the game tonight and most home games for the rest of the year.

Do you guys sit in the Home side or Visitor side? I'm a middle aged curmudgeon to prefer to sit where I can spectate on the craziness and not actually participate in it.

Soft start to the season so far, thankfully those were friendlies. Hope the club has gotten that out of their system and are ready to take the league season with charge.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Do you guys sit in the Home side or Visitor side? I'm a middle aged curmudgeon to prefer to sit where I can spectate on the craziness and not actually participate in it.

Soft start to the season so far, thankfully those were friendlies. Hope the club has gotten that out of their system and are ready to take the league season with charge.

I’m in the supporter section, though I think I’ll be on the other side tonight as I’ve got some family who’ll be going.
Losing to Ann Arbor already is rough, though I was slightly encouraged by both sides looking like a bit of a mess and the deciding goal being a bit of a fluke; it’s a better outcome than our first match against them last year. Also pretty encouraging to see how well they held up against FC Cinci, despite falling apart in AET.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
My local team (and only non-MLS team to win the US Open cup :smug: ) is taking a year off bc we have no money

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

TheBigAristotle posted:

(and only non-MLS team to win the US Open cup :smug: )

The Open Cup has been around for 104 years. MLS has been around for 23. I think your facts may be wrong.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

camoseven posted:

The Open Cup has been around for 104 years. MLS has been around for 23. I think your facts may be wrong.

I think he just means since MLS' inception. Rochester Rhinos won in '99.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

sleepwalkers posted:

I’m in the supporter section, though I think I’ll be on the other side tonight as I’ve got some family who’ll be going.
Losing to Ann Arbor already is rough, though I was slightly encouraged by both sides looking like a bit of a mess and the deciding goal being a bit of a fluke; it’s a better outcome than our first match against them last year. Also pretty encouraging to see how well they held up against FC Cinci, despite falling apart in AET.

The supporter section is what makes the games worth watching. I don’t think I could sit and sip water while watching this team.

The loss to Ann Arbor was pretty devastating and immediately puts he team on its heels. AA could go undefeated, those fuckers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aggro posted:

The supporter section is what makes the games worth watching. I don’t think I could sit and sip water while watching this team.

The loss to Ann Arbor was pretty devastating and immediately puts he team on its heels. AA could go undefeated, those fuckers.

It's worth watching the supporters section for the entertainment value while slugging down $2 Strohs cans.

I usually have my kids with me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

My local team (and only non-MLS team to win the US Open cup :smug: ) is taking a year off bc we have no money
More like the idiots who bought team acted shocked that minor league soccer didn't turn out to be a profit-making enterprise.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pretty ugly first half for DCFC. Lucky to still be scoreless.

Except for that one save from Peña!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
FC Cincinnati seem bad and I can’t see why they’d be promoted or whatever. Weird

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

paddyboat posted:

FC Cincinnati seem bad and I can’t see why they’d be promoted or whatever. Weird

Is this a bad troll or have you just not been paying attention to The Cincy Story(tm) ?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I mean, I can't imagine they are bringing very many players with them to MLS. Maybe 3 or 4.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Jesus. Vegas lost 2-7 to Galaxy 2.

I’m pretty sure this team hasn’t won a game in at least two months.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

More like the idiots who bought team acted shocked that minor league soccer didn't turn out to be a profit-making enterprise.

That, and Rochester doesn't appear to have many multi-millionaires or billionaires willing to lose money as a labor of love for sport or local civic pride, etc. The perils of being a smaller market with a relatively shrinking economy compared to other markets.

Rowdies finally win on the road, in Toronto, under their new coach. T2 is worst in the East, though, so that doesn't mean much. And the Rowdies still gave up a 2 goal early lead before equalizing and then winning 2-4, so our defense still needs a lot of work.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

Jesus. Vegas lost 2-7 to Galaxy 2.

I’m pretty sure this team hasn’t won a game in at least two months.
Galaxy 2's last five games:

4-3 loss at Phoenix
6-3 win v St. Louis
7-3 loss at Timbers 2 (allowed three goals in second half Stoppage Time)
1-1 draw at Rio Grande Valley
7-2 win v Las Vegas

:stare:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

camoseven posted:

Is this a bad troll or have you just not been paying attention to The Cincy Story(tm) ?

I’m kidding because they’ve gone and lost again to Louisville at their fortress of invincibility.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

paddyboat posted:

I’m kidding because they’ve gone and lost again to Louisville at their fortress of invincibility.
It might still have been the case yesterday that the Louisville squad had more minutes played at Nippert than Cincinnati's.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FC Indiana of the NPSL might be one of the straight-up worst teams playing organized soccer in the United States. They played their fifth league match against Detroit City FC today, losing 11-0.
They have allowed 31 goals for a hot... -31 differential. Zero goals for yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

sleepwalkers posted:

FC Indiana of the NPSL might be one of the straight-up worst teams playing organized soccer in the United States. They played their fifth league match against Detroit City FC today, losing 11-0.
They have allowed 31 goals for a hot... -31 differential. Zero goals for yet.

"Founded in 2000, the team compete in the Premier Arena Soccer League indoor soccer league. The Lions also play in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), a national outdoor league at the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid."

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Like if one of those goofy-rear end arena football teams also decided to play in the like, the XFL reboot.