Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the NASL coming back?
This poll is closed.
Yes 2 9.09%
No 16 72.73%
No, but NISA lives 4 18.18%
Total: 22 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Do over Ham posted:

All perfectly true, but at least his checks didn't bounce and bills were paid on time.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFwa7vN53mI

A Look Back at the Edwards Era: 5 Years of Rowdies Soccer

Thank you #RowdiesFamily for five amazing years of Rowdies Soccer!

Do over Ham posted:

Will be interesting to hear what the Rays owners (Stuart Sternberg, etc.) plans for the Rowdies are at tomorrow's event.

quote:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/10/02/bill-edwards-rowdies-will-stay-in-st-petersburg-for-at-least-five-years-under-deal-with-rays/

Silverman said a jump to MLS is not a top priority.

"It's not something that we categorically rule out, but it's not a part of our plans,'' he said. "We're very happy with the Rowdies' standing in the United Soccer League. We think it's a great fit for the team and the venue we play in. We made this decision that we are going to be in the USL for a long time.''

Silverman was standing right next to USL president Jake Edwards, so naturally he's going to talk up the Rowdies commitment to USL and downplay MLS.

Rays focus at the moment is on getting their baseball stadium deal done in Ybor City so they can move across the Bay to Tampa.

If/when the Rays get their Ybor deal done, then getting Rowdies into MLS might become a priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ElwoodCuse posted:

Gonna be Cincinnati in a laugher, huh

Hopefully it's in Cincinnati!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Final home game of the season for the Lights tonight, and they're offering unlimited beer for fans for $20. I assume at some point there's going to be a drunken brawl in the stands, which will undoubtedly be more exciting than watching the actual team play the game of Association Football.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Colombia national team training yesterday at Al Lang Stadium prior to tomorrow's friendly match against USMNT in Tampa.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/status/1049771694288703488

As noted by others, some of the best players in the world have played or practiced at the Rowdies home pitch at Al Lang, in the past five years: James, Lampard, Drogba, Raul, Pirlo, Chicharito, Villa, etc., all in what only a few years ago was a decrepit and decaying minor league baseball/spring training facility.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shockingly, Las Vegas finally won a game after like 3 or 4 months, defeating Phoenix 5-2. The stands erupted with so much jubilation, all that pent up frustration and everything from all those lost games. It was a nice way to end the season.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Albuquerque's team will be called New Mexico United. Crest is pretty decent, it has part of the Zia symbol which is important to the area and is on the state flag.

Unfortunately they decided to use the colors of the shittiest team in soccer, Columbus

State flag for reference

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ugh red and yellow would have been so much better

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah the crest looks a LOT better with red:

You could make the text also be in red, but I think leaving it black makes it pop.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bentai posted:

Yeah the crest looks a LOT better with red:

You could make the text also be in red, but I think leaving it black makes it pop.

Yeah, that looks really cool, and instantly calls to mind the state flag. Somebody get their FO on the phone

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Las Vegas has hired Eric Wynalda as their new head coach.
Apparently they tried to get Landon Donovan before that, but he turned it down.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Las Vegas has hired Eric Wynalda as their new head coach.
Apparently they tried to get Landon Donovan before that, but he turned it down.
Wynalda's their new Manager and Director of Football. Basically he gets to control everything that gets put on the field.

:getin:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

During a local interview today he laid out that he wants a “young and fast” team. Which means a huge chunk of the inaugural squad is likely gone. Including Adu, I’d assume.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bentai posted:

During a local interview today he laid out that he wants a “young and fast” team. Which means a huge chunk of the inaugural squad is likely gone. Including Adu, I’d assume.
Honestly if he just jettisoned all of the Mexican D2 rejects in defense he'd be fine. Their midfield and attack wasn't a big issue after they signed those former Galaxy II players in the middle of the year.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/962132

ROWDIES SALE TO TAMPA BAY RAYS NOW COMPLETED

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (October 24, 2018) — With the 2018 USL season in the books, a new chapter begins for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, as the sale to the Tampa Bay Rays has been completed.

“Today marks a new era in Tampa Bay Rowdies history,” said Vice-Chairman Matt Silverman. “We are excited to embark on this journey with Rowdies fans from across Tampa Bay, and we look forward to building enduring relationships with Season Ticket Holders, Corporate Partners, and all supporters of Rowdies soccer.”

As the transition begins in earnest, exciting changes are planned for the Rowdies roster, front office and fan experience. Beginning on November 3, and continuing during the first Saturday Morning Market of each month, the Rowdies will open Al Lang Stadium to the public for family-friendly activities and live soccer games streamed from around the world on the video board and concourse televisions. More information regarding specific programming will be made available as the date nears.

“The expansion of the Saturday Morning Market into Al Lang will be an added benefit to an already energized downtown St. Petersburg,” said Vice-Chairman Brian Auld. “It allows fans and citizens access to family-friendly activities during the most beautiful time of the year.”

Roster announcements will be made in the coming weeks, and ticket sales representatives are diligently working to contact Season Ticket Holders to discuss early renewal benefits for the 2019 Rowdies season. For a limited time, fans who place a $100 deposit towards a 2019 season ticket will receive $25 in Rowdies Dollars to be used in the Rowdies Team Store at Sundial St. Pete during the month of December. Fans can call 727-222-2000 for information on ticket offerings.

The Saturday Morning Market move is an interesting one; bodes well for what the Rays have in mind for the Rowdies future in St. Pete.

quote:

http://www.theunsubs.com/wp/2018/10/24/collins-aims-to-change-perception-of-the-rowdies-as-he-plans-for-future/4119

Collins Aims to Change Perception of the Rowdies as he Plans for Future

Without Bill Edwards making decisions for him he'll have a chance to build an actual team that might start winning. Rowdies consistently underperformed in the Bill Edwards era considering how big their player salary budget was.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

The Saturday Morning Market move is an interesting one; bodes well for what the Rays have in mind for the Rowdies future in St. Pete.

Without Bill Edwards making decisions for him he'll have a chance to build an actual team that might start winning. Rowdies consistently underperformed in the Bill Edwards era considering how big their player salary budget was.
Well the team's last two managers were Stu Campbell, who had maybe a year of coaching experience before taking the job, and then Neill Collins, who basically went straight from playing to managing.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience would have achieved better results.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin Bold FC’s signing the best squad 2010 has to offer.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

Edward Mass posted:

Austin Bold FC’s signing the best squad 2010 has to offer.

im not sure who i was expecting but it was certainly not a 35-year old edson braafheid

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Enjoy MLS, Cincinnati, because you were knocked out of the playoffs by the Baby Bulls.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea that was lame as hell

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Louisville won, but that’s to be expected

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Enjoy MLS, Cincinnati, because you were knocked out of the playoffs by the Baby Bulls.
I'm pretty sure NYRB II is the bane of the entire Eastern Conference considering they pull this poo poo in the playoffs every year.

This is kind of making me wonder if John Wolyniec should get a look from an MLS team at a managing job if they don't go the foreign route next time there's an opening.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Drama in Austin :siren:

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1055949785121853440

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Well the team's last two managers were Stu Campbell, who had maybe a year of coaching experience before taking the job, and then Neill Collins, who basically went straight from playing to managing.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience would have achieved better results.

Yes, that was also the problem with Bill Edwards - he believed in “hiring from within” which may have worked in Bill Edwards’ businesses, but which doesn’t work if you are trying to hire a winning coach.

Nevertheless if the Rays are going to give Neill Collins a chance, he’ll have a better chance under the Rays ownership than under Bill Edwards. Edwards was a control freak micromanager who didn’t know anything about sports.

I’d prefer an experienced coach with a winning record, but the Rays ownership are new to this soccer thing so I don’t expect them to rock the boat too much in their first season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now we’ve got calls to boycott the Bold. Oh God, what is happening

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I support any and all protests against the Bold until they change their name.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Are we talking actual, serious boycott calls or extremely-online hipster fans who would have never attended an Austin USL game proposing boycotts?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Update:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBils/status/1057012321623662594

Well, there you go.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay there's obviously something I'm missing here since I'm not up to speed on Austin Texas tweeter drama.

Wait this is about Pepe the Frog? This is too perfect.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

I support any and all protests against the Bold until they change their name.

Bring back the Austin Aztex.

Seriously, a clever pun name, with some actual history behind it at this point, is much better than something that sounds like some kind of corporate clothes washing detergent being marketed to ironic hipsters.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Dallas is putting a reserve club in League One next year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Dallas is putting a reserve club in League One next year.
In an ironic twist, they'll have the team play in a high school stadium right in Dallas.

Actually I have no idea

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
hello the New Jersey Red Bull II team suck loving rear end

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
They were hanging in there til late in the second half when they just decided to collapse, which I was totally in favor of. I hope they stream the final on ESPN+ instead of putting it on something dumb like ESPNU!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

camoseven posted:

They were hanging in there til late in the second half when they just decided to collapse, which I was totally in favor of. I hope they stream the final on ESPN+ instead of putting it on something dumb like ESPNU!

It's on ESPN2.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Edward Mass posted:

It's on ESPN2.

That's annoying but at least I might be able to get a bar to put it on.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

camoseven posted:

It was really tense when it was 2-1, which made the Speedy Williams goals even more amazing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I’ve just been informed that didier drogba plays for the phoenix rising fc, wtf

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

paddyboat posted:

Yea he's a part owner, too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

paddyboat posted:

And he's still pretty much a consummate professional at the age of 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I look forward to telling rude things at didi on thursday(?!) and I’m glad he’s found a nice retirement spot