Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
So I never really got into YS just because too many games and all that, but on a whim I bought YS Origin as it looked like an arcade game (with the theme of one tower). And oh man I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Great mix of arcade + rpg. The boss fights are stellar, and very creative mechanically. Like one boss spawns these little alien slugs that make the floor slippery, but if you don't kill em he'll eventually suck them up (to heal). And then you have to climb up his arm and bash his head in. Graphically it's you know a little dated, but man the boss designs are very cool so far. Also one of the few games where the underwater area was actually fun to play. I included some screenshots:

Really enjoyed how the underwater section was introduced.

Me about to die.

Last image is I guess from the pc port (first two are from my vita), the floor has a nice texture. That's the boss where you climb his arms, he spews out bugs from those holes lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you for being the one person other than me who owns this on Vita. Ys origin is one of my all time fave games, even if the vita version kind of rear end compared to the PC version.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That vita ui sickens me but YS Origin is amazing and you should play through it with 2 of the characters (hugo sucks)

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

In Training posted:

Thank you for being the one person other than me who owns this on Vita. Ys origin is one of my all time fave games, even if the vita version kind of rear end compared to the PC version.

I love the psp, so I bought it when it first came out. It's a shame it's abandoned but I still browse the store from time to time because I like playing on the go. I did notice the pc seems to have better graphics, and I'm sure it doesn't have slow downs either. But for whatever reason I just prefer playing things on the go.

Evil Eagle posted:

That vita ui sickens me but YS Origin is amazing and you should play through it with 2 of the characters (hugo sucks)

I fully intend to. I've been itching for an arcade game rpg for like forever. I always prefer the fighter in games, as it tends to match my playstyle (impatient, brute force), and thought it was cool they did a gender/class reversal.

Nude fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 27, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ys ftmfw

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the vita isnt abandoned, sony still puts out updates for it that coincidentally line up with whenever someone manages to hack it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

the vita isnt abandoned, sony still puts out updates for it that coincidentally line up with whenever someone manages to hack it

do the converters that turn microsd into working vita memory cards still work?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

:yeah:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

hit my buttons, baby

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ys owns. I only have Oath and Origins but I like that there are so many available for when I want a quick bite sized RPG

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ys 7 and Memories of Celceta are some drat win.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sgnFikzIFI :rock:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys VIII PC version is supposed to be out soon right?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Ys VIII PC version is supposed to be out soon right?

It was supposed to be out January 30 but then they delayed it indefinitely so NISA could bring in another developer to fix the framerate

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe Japanese people's eyes actually can only see a limited number of frames per second... It's the only possible explanation...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Wormskull posted:

Maybe Japanese people's eyes actually can only see a limited number of frames per second... It's the only possible explanation...

Falcom made a game called Zwei for PC in 2001. It has two FPS options: 30 and 15.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It was supposed to be out January 30 but then they delayed it indefinitely so NISA could bring in another developer to fix the framerate

Also, apparently the translation was so terrible they're redoing it entirely.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

everything i read about the ps4 translation was bad. apparently they're oing to patch in the new script for that game as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ys origin is the only ys i've played for more than an hour, and that i beat three times

not sure why the others never seem to attach but i think i've only tried, like... oath in felghana, maybe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Evil Eagle posted:

hugo the character or hugo the gameplay

one sucks but the other is in fact fun and good (just not as good as the other 2)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

everything i read about the ps4 translation was bad. apparently they're oing to patch in the new script for that game as well.

This was released about 2 weeks ago and I've heard it's much better but, ys viii still has 2000x too much dialogue for a Ys game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked the vita port of Oath, except every time I reached a town and had to do a bunch of poo poo cutscenes and bad story

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'll get VIII eventually but I still haven't beaten MoC. Such is life

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
OATH IS BETTER!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Probably but there's something about origins that's resulted in me beating it 7 times

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Probably but there's something about origins that's resulted in me beating it 7 times
Because you get to play as two fun characters and there's fewer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

poo poo cutscenes and bad story
breaking up the action.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have a couple more screenshots:

In Training posted:

Yeah I can definitely see this being a game I often come back to, and I haven't even finished Yunica's story yet. The game has excellent pacing. I have a standard for action rpg's which is Castlevania SoTN, and Origin matches it for sure. I appreciate how noticeable each upgrade to a sword or armor is, I go from hitting 8s to 30s after one upgrade. And the hidden stuff are important and necessary so it never feels like there is a dead end path. This is important for me as I like to explore a lot. And the way they balanced the three elements, with wind being used for swarms, lighting used for enemies above you, and fire used for range. That separation makes me constantly swapping between the three. I was so pleased when they actually allowed me to use my fathers sword, and how it actually changes your attack style. Also I like how the game doesn't "forget" about early power ups, as I'm still using wind to hover over small gaps midway through the game.

The one thing that's hard for me to pull off is the stop attack, where you run stop and then attack. The only way I can consistently pull it off is if I stand still, flick the stick, and quickly attack. Perhaps it's a move that is just meant to be hard to pull off as it seems like it's the only move that lowers defense of the enemy. My sp rate is still rather small, I'm wondering if it will increase later on or if I should stop spending my sp on small stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would recommend using the D-pad as the game doesn't actually read analog movement, it only has 8 directions. That makes it easier to do the start/stop move because the motion is just alternating a quick tap between direction and attack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or if it does have analog movement I forgot about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I would recommend using the D-pad as the game doesn't actually read analog movement, it only has 8 directions. That makes it easier to do the start/stop move because the motion is just alternating a quick tap between direction and attack

Haha I didn't even think to use the d-pad, thanks. Makes sense as it was original made for the computer.

• Locked thread