Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

This might have been a cooler game if you could actually switch over and play as the witch, imo

being obliged to clear the path for my fragile, AI-controlled sometimes-helper wore out its welcome for me the first time I encountered it, in that SNES Rocko's Modern Life game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

on the one hand, those magic-naked-Gretchen supermoves or w/e are clearly intended as erotic fodder (which imo is a smidge poorly timed, given it's happening in the thick of a boss battle)

on the other, if I had the power to construct a gigantic asstral self with which I could deliver devastating buttslams upon my foes, well, I'd be buttslammin' away and to hell with the weirdos

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I really dig the way Heinrich climbs ladders the way jazz musicians approach a performance: it's all about the rungs he's not grabbing, man

I also dig how Halifax's Blade sounds like something Heinrich read about in a poorly-spelled and -formatted pamphlet that promised to "InCr3ase teh L3nGTh & gr1th of Th1nE w3AP0n"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The witch of falling over due to impractical clothing.

Sure she's not the witch of falling out of her clothing? Because magic is the only explanation I have for that improbable vertical boob-strap getup :eyepop:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Arcomage posted:

(Frankly, I spent most of the episode hoping that Faust's entirely non-plot-relevant manservant would turn out to be the devil Mephisto, because that might at least lead to a moderately interesting boss battle with a halfway decent literary tie-in. Alas, it was not to be.)

He didn't even turn into anything interesting; he became goatse dentata on two not particularly mobile stump-legs. Wasn't his humanoid form unnaturally strong and agile and good at fighting? There's so much about this game that doesn't even qualify as half-baked :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

What the gently caress use even are witches in the context of this game, anyhow? I mean, Gretchen talks a big ol' game about helping humanity and What Their Powers Are Really For, but humans barely even exist in this game, and then largely as set dressing--nameless, undifferentiated victims of the characters that matter, the ones who can control space, time, life, death and the bitchinest light shows imaginable :black101: . Even the largely useless comedy relief walks around in a magical construct-body that seems to be able to last indefinitely (as long as he doesn't touch the life-draining plot item). Out of one side of its mouth, the game talks about witches being tragically persecuted and powerless to stop the human institutions being used against them unjustly...but from the other side, in the moment, magic is exclusively for either wrecking poo poo or making poo poo that needs wrecking. Knights Contract seems to want to have a thought-provoking discussion of the dangers of power, and also pander mindlessly to their players' power fantasies, and the two do not harmonize at all well imo.

• Locked thread