Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Most of the wrestling is pretty good.

Well ok the raws have been good, the smackdowns have been bad, I love the mmc, 205 live is ok, I'm watching elimination chamber RN.

I don't like the rousey angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gavok posted:

I don't see anything all that awful about the writing of the Rousey storyline except for how it looks with Roman/Brock going on. On one side you have "You have to listen to your bosses and that's bad!" while on the other side you have "He doesn't listen to his bosses and that's bad!"

Roman's stuff works if you think of it as not respecting the fans and wrestling as a whole.

JitteryComa
Nov 6, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Roman's stuff works if you think of it as not respecting the fans and wrestling as a whole.

Probably because that's literally what he said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Roman's thing basically rests on if you buy into him as the "everyman" enough to buy in. I don't and I don't think he really did anything to pull me in. But like your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Roman, how much you're frustrated by Brock, or how much you're just willing to go along with WM stories because its Wrestlemania. Or I guess just WWE storyline resets/turns in general.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
can't wait for another great smackdown episode brought to you by THE ROAD DOGG

where's rusev?
what happened to carmella and the MiTB contract?
Tag team division not making sense?

WHO CARES, let's get more shane mchmahon! AJ has no chemistry with KO? Watch us push that some more! JOHN CENA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh right, I forgot to watch the Cena promo. I should do that because I didn't understand the recap at all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i have more respect for roman as a wrestler than brock. roman's at least out there every night and while i cannot fault brock for making a shitton of money for doing nothing he's a drain on the product

granted i think you're right in that my about face on roman is because i hate brock more

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Roman is the cause of Brock being a complete drain tho

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I thought Roman's promo would be good if he didn't make such a big deal of I'M SHOOTING, and THEY DON'T WANT ME SAYING THIS IN THE BACK, and I'M GOING TO FACE MY PUNISHMENT LIKE A MAN

It was like late era WCW poo poo where they can't even have a worked shoot, they have to have a worked shoot where someone is going OH MY GOD HE'S NOT FOLLOWING THE SCRIPT, THIS IS REAL!!!

It ruined the whole thing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Romans popularity depends on whether you can look past the fact that he's boring and has the charisma of a rock

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Braun meanwhile gives the fans what they want, people getting those hands

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

can't wait for another great smackdown episode brought to you by THE ROAD DOGG

where's rusev?
what happened to carmella and the MiTB contract?
Tag team division not making sense?

WHO CARES, let's get more shane mchmahon! AJ has no chemistry with KO? Watch us push that some more! JOHN CENA

Smackdown bad

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I thought Roman's promo would be good if he didn't make such a big deal of I'M SHOOTING, and THEY DON'T WANT ME SAYING THIS IN THE BACK, and I'M GOING TO FACE MY PUNISHMENT LIKE A MAN

It was like late era WCW poo poo where they can't even have a worked shoot, they have to have a worked shoot where someone is going OH MY GOD HE'S NOT FOLLOWING THE SCRIPT, THIS IS REAL!!!

It ruined the whole thing

Yeah, but you probably would have bought into that if it was Punk or Bryan or... I don't know... Owens and Zayn? Or who else is an internet favorite who fans think has gotten a short end of the stick? Balor? Maybe even someone like Miz? Roman's problem is he was presenting himself as the "speak against the man" guy when fan perception is he's exactly the guy "the man" wants.

But again, its just a question of how much you're willing to look past that and buy into Roman saying "I speak for you and the wrestling business and against the company and Brock." Roman and Brock are both pretty extremes so you're gonna have a large degree of different reactions.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I gotta hand it to WWE though for sticking to their guns by having Roman Reigns headline ANOTHER Mania after it was revealed last year immediately after the last Mania that he was going face Brock this year.

I can't wait to find out about next year's Mania on April 9th this year!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, for this gimmick to work, there has to be at least a perception that the guy doing it isn't handpicked. Austin worked because on some level, we know Vince hates 'rednecks', and Austin's initial push as The Ringmaster made it clear he wasn't being brought in to be annointed. Rock worked because they turned him heel when the crowd turned on Smilin' Rocky Maivia. Bryan worked because the "B+ Player" line felt like exactly how WWE saw him. Even Cena had the fact that he bombed on his first push and only got over doing a dumb Halloween rapper gimmick. Reigns has been 100% The Guy since he debuted and the people who boo him know that, so you're not going to be able to turn them around by pretending he's not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Austin, rock, cena and Bryan also have charisma and can give good promos.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Carmella might as well just have cashed in during an episode of total divas.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
reigns has charisma, and isnt terrible at promos. its just that wwe are booking him badly and writing bad promos for him to say.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Namtab posted:

Austin, rock, cena and Bryan also have charisma and can give good promos.

the thing there is to remember both Rock and Bryan absolutely sucked at promos early on, especially Bryan, and they improved a tonne over the years so its not all natural instantly good main eventer

hell look at Orton whose been a main eventer for as long as Cena has been and his promo ability

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dont mind roman's promos when he is being a jerky smug rear end, it suits him well, like he should be a heel or something

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lid posted:

the thing there is to remember both Rock and Bryan absolutely sucked at promos early on, especially Bryan, and they improved a tonne over the years so its not all natural instantly good main eventer

hell look at Orton whose been a main eventer for as long as Cena has been and his promo ability

Who needs promo ability when you have the rko meme

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Seams posted:

reigns has charisma, and isnt terrible at promos. its just that wwe are booking him badly and writing bad promos for him to say.

Reigns has good smarmy douche jock charisma which would serve him well as a heel or an Orton-type upper mid to top card anti hero. But not as he’s booked now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lid posted:

Yeah, but Roman's main eventing his fourth Wrestlemania in a row. There's generally a window for people to give passes for growing pains. A big part of the reason people are so negative on Roman is because that window's been closed for awhile.

And yes, a big part of that blame goes to the WWE and not Roman. But it is what it is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but Roman's main eventing his fourth Wrestlemania in a row. There's generally a window for people to give passes for growing pains. A big part of the reason people are so negative on Roman is because that window's been closed for awhile.

And yes, a big part of that blame goes to the WWE and not Roman. But it is what it is.

oh you misunderstood, what i meant was that they improved by now and are the great talkers people talk about

Roman's been on top this long and he hit his talking ceiling 2 years ago, like how Orton hit his ceiling 11 years ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lid posted:

Bryan is still poo poo at promos.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd say when it comes strictly to delivery, intensity, y'know, the things he can actually control, Roman probably hit his ceiling yesterday.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Orton managed to make the whole ridiculous IED angle work through nothing but delivery. He's miles better than Roman just for that

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i don't care how bad all y'all thought the orton/bray feud was but i had a legit laugh when randy burnt down the shed than struck his pose

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
"for the first time in six months and despite inexplicably being on their survivor series team, john cena returns to smackdown."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still don't understand why Cena is a free agent.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

STAC Goat posted:

WWE doesn't understand what a free agent actually is, so we should probably start there and fill in the gaps in logic as we go along.

e: this isn't the smackdown thread. WHUPS!

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Miz and Asuka are great and they should win the MMC.

Oh god not the smackdown thread what have I wroght

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They wanted him to fight Reigns that one time but remembered they just moved him to SD the year before, so they decided to make him a Free Agent to justify him being able to move to the brand and do that

Now they're keeping it that way because they can't commit to having Taker on one specific brand either and want him to fight him too

Also the brand split's basically dead anyway

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Wade barret too.

Still feuding for the rights to The Nexus.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cena's a free agent because he's the only one that's a draw so they wanna move him back and forth as they please.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DeathChicken posted:

Orton managed to make the whole ridiculous IED angle work through nothing but delivery.

HHH's motorboating helped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Smackdown results added to the OP.

Cena/AJ match was real good but the commentary missed some pretty basic psychology stuff that Cena did, and the match result felt like a missed opportunity to me.

I still have no idea what the gently caress they are trying to do with Shane and Bryan.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One step closer to Mania Main Eventer Dolph Ziggler

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

One step closer to Mania Main Eventer Dolph Ziggler
God you'd love that wouldn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror