Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Cena will earn the opportunity to be in the fatal 5 way tomorrow by winning a match against Nakamura. He'll then go on to win the now six-pack challenge to become champion, leading to his match against Nakamura at Mania.

Ridiculous. He'll beat Sami to get into the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like the conceit that John Cena has to search for a match when the WWE has firmly established you can get a match at wrestlemania by saying "Lets have a match at wrestlemania"

Yeah, the reason this angle worked with Shawn Michaels was that Hunter tried to get Shawn to see there were other matches and HBK wouldn't accept anything except the Undertaker. If Cena was OBSESSED with being in a headline match and was loving himself over trying to get there, then they might have something. Instead he loses clean despite doing his usual stuff and then looks sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And to Steph's credit, seeing her stomp up to Rousey like a badass and then poo poo herself and go "Sorry ma'am" was pretty funny. I actually buy that Stephanie is a little bit scared of the woman 10 years her junior who won medals and belts beating people up for real.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Namtab posted:

Can't wait for uh Jeff jarrett to be gm of raw after wrestlemania

I really, really want to hear CFO$ doing a rip-off of his TNA song, but they'd probably just use Be My Baby Tonight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, for this gimmick to work, there has to be at least a perception that the guy doing it isn't handpicked. Austin worked because on some level, we know Vince hates 'rednecks', and Austin's initial push as The Ringmaster made it clear he wasn't being brought in to be annointed. Rock worked because they turned him heel when the crowd turned on Smilin' Rocky Maivia. Bryan worked because the "B+ Player" line felt like exactly how WWE saw him. Even Cena had the fact that he bombed on his first push and only got over doing a dumb Halloween rapper gimmick. Reigns has been 100% The Guy since he debuted and the people who boo him know that, so you're not going to be able to turn them around by pretending he's not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, as I understand it, the G1 winner getting the title shot at the Dome is a relatively new thing. Previously it was just a prestigious thing unto itself. It's like asking why Roger Federer or Andy Murray compete at the Olympics AND Wimbledon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm honestly not sure if he's an idiot or a troll, given that people can give numerous reasons, both in and out of kayfabe. Now some of them, like "he is a bad wrestler" are bullshit, but it's still the person's reason for their opinion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Fantastic Four were a hell of a heel act in the Latveria territory back in the day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

Cool video about 205 Live's mission statement. Imagine if Smackdown explained the loving Smackdown Top 10 this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noliJL-7bas

I'm amazed a man who looks as punchable as Spud is able to come off as so likeable and reasonable

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Has a prominent Impact logo and buries the poo poo out of the old 205 Live. Wow.

HHH: "Now say that Vince is old and smells bad and flip the bird at the camera"
Spud: "Um.... I'm not sure about this, Mr Levesque..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Coach has always been a shameless WWE bootlicker

So shameless that at the PPV, he began spouting the Vince-approved lines about the numbers game before Absolution even got the heat on Bayley.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Braun's not The Guy because he's a quintessential wrestling star. His look, his act, his whole aura is built for pro-wrestling. You can't put him in a three piece suit and send him on to Colbert or the Kids Choice Awards. Vince doesn't want a wrestling star, he wants a crossover star (but not too big or too mainstream because he might overshadow the brand or, worse, the MCMAHONS!).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'd laugh if the steroid guy and Brock teasing UFC turns this into another potential Montreal Screwjob mess

Roman's inside Brock's guard when Brock shoot puts him into a triangle and Vince runs to the ring, screams "COUNT MOTHERFUCKER!" and the ref gives the fastest 3-count in history.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looking forward to 205 Live expanding to 2 hours while everyone else gets shipped to Raw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Wouldn’t Brock still have to serve a suspension before participating in the UFC?

Yes, but that would be almost a blessing because it would give him time to re-train himself for MMA. However, if Jones gets the full 6 year suspension he's risking, then there's no way Brock goes back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

I would loving love it if Brock just no showed Wrestlemania.

The pre-show announces that all other matches are cancelled in favour of a one-night tournament to determine who gets to face The Big Dog, a la WM4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is a small part of me that is terrified that if Undertaker really can't do the Cena match that we'll get Cena vs his greatest rival... Randy Orton.

Gonz posted:

I just want Matt Hardy to appear with that huge drone swarm from the Olympics.

Somehow teleport the entire stadium to North Carolina and replace the ring and ramp with Matt's house and grounds.

Professor Funk posted:

I saw another (probably fake) SI rumor that WWE has used all of Brock's required dates for this year already and he's playing hardball

I would give anything for that to be true, for 1) WWE to be stupid enough to waste all of his appearances before Wrestlemania and 2) to just hand Brock all of the leverage in the world to negotiate against them (i.e. pay me my money or I am going to ruin your flagship show and make you all look like jackasses)

But alas

Would be poetic for them to do it the same year they welcome Jeff Jarrett back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah the Superman Punch should be like the Five Knuckle Shuffle, a generally once per match signature spot. They need to develop Roman another believable almost finisher that works with his hernia limitation.

He technically does have one, his sit-out headbanging powerbomb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a225hHXvfYI

Big E turned 5! He's a big boy now!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 2, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Supposedly if Raw ends up on Fox, it'll go back to two hours, so please, please, please let them get it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

No, it'll be a gauntlet match where John Cena overcomes the odds

Bold choice to have the AJ/Nak segment go 90 minutes of the 2 hour gauntlet, but I support it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

If Tanahashi can wrestle with two bicep tears then Rey can manage it with one :colbert:

Neither of them should wrestle with any god please take a rest

But who else can lose to Fale in the second round of the New Japan Cup?!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

They work every so often. But the Reigns stuff is so obviously them begging us to like him.

Except they only work if there's actually truth to them. People believed Daniel Bryan wasn't seen as a main eventer by Vince and co. People bought that CM Punk was frustrated to be pushed at a level below Cena. And Montreal WAS a shoot to start. Deliberately pulling a bait-and-switch to try and get Roman over with a pre-written promo won't work because the fans that don't care about the backstage stuff won't understand, and the ones who do will see through it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake... :ughh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Who is the target audience for this tho? Casual fans don't follow house show results and hardcore fans are aware of the fact that the Reigns angle isn't really a shoot. I guess they got a lil of mainstream coverage for the house show match but even that seems like a drop in the bucket.

This was basically my argument earlier, but honestly, thinking about it, you'd be surprised how many people who consider themselves 'smart' don't follow things from, say, Meltzer, Johnson or Keller but do hear garbled, half-coherent versions from Sportskeeda and WhatCulture.

On the other hand, I don't know how you spin this house show thing in kayfabe without straight up going "it's fake!" in the middle of Raw. Otherwise, what, Brock showed up to a house show and beat up Kane really fast? WWE Superstar "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey made her name beating people inside 90 seconds. That's what combat athletes are supposed to do, finish their opponents as fast as they can.

Like, Heyman's counter promo basically writes itself. His client, the Beast Incarnate, destroyed his opponent in near record time. If it's too quick for the fans, blame management for not providing sufficient competition so as to avoid messing up the Mania main event and thus it was as much to benefit Reigns as Lesnar.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 4, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

wwe is bad and i mostly stick around for the flat earther, the guy who acts like freddy mercury, the trio of anime nerds, and the giant redneck dude

edit: also the samoan twins and one of the other samoan guys named joe

What about the East European immigrant and his fake Russian mail order bride?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

why cant i eat it

Despite common folk tales, the moon is in fact made of stone and rock, not a unique form of blue cheese.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

Add that to the 100,000 seater they are running in Australia.

This might be why they went back to just 12 PPVs this year.

50-man Rumble? They're gonna be doing 30 second intervals or the drat thing will last 3 hours.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So do they throw Booker or Otunga on the air tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When will the Library of Alexandria get it's rightful HOF spot, Vince?!

• Locked thread