Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So apparently, Seth Rollins
A) Does what John Cena does
B) Does what Cruiserweights does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roman delivered his promo pretty well, but boy oh boy was it a stupid loving promo.

"I really hope I don't get in trouble for what I'm about to say on this scripted show!" miss me with that WCW-rear end poo poo, Vince. Not to mention how scummy it is to basically false advertise Lesnar for this Raw just so Roman can get fake angry about it when he doesn't show up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

I just want Mickie to be a cool mom doing cool poo poo in the ring, and I know I'm not alone because she got that great reaction running wild in the Chamber. Can ... can we just do that? Why does this have to be so complicated?

BECAUSE SHE'S OOOOOOOLD

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, between that Roman promo and the Rousey stuff last night where they went out of the way to make sure Rousey basically said "No, I don't want any perks, I want to travel in the same horrible meat-grinder of a schedule as everybody else!" ...

gently caress Hulk Hogan for being a loving rat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The_Rob posted:

I mean say what you want about punk, but when that dude sounded like he was against the company and the system he sounded for real. Roman is a guy who has done nothing but benefit from the system why should I give a poo poo if he's breaking protocol.

Basically, yeah. Punk's poo poo worked because he was literally just drawing from his very real experiences. He was actually pissed off and everybody understood why. Roman the golden child chosen one trying to suddenly Get Real is the most ridiculous thing ever. The only worked shoot promo Roman could ever cut is on the fans. "gently caress you people for booing me" et al, but, whoops, he'd have to be a heel for that and for SOME loving REASON we still can't do that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

Last year's Raw after Mania is incredible in hindsight. Roman comes out to open the show, bathes in the vicious crowd boos after retiring Taker, then delivers the best promo of his life in 5 words. Everybody loved it and thought it was a star-making moment for Roman's new shithead character.

Now that segment is gonna be completely retconned because Roman never turned heel and Taker is loving coming back for another match. Literally none of it mattered, and we all feel stupid for thinking it did. It's a perfect microcosm of modern-era WWE booking.

Literally a week later, Roman was the underdog "how will he prevail against these odds?!" babyface again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I kinda want Lesnar to no show Mania.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

D.N. Nation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlzk9H91dA

How dare you miss this five-star classic

Lesnar's face when he realizes he's been dunked on by Bo Dallas.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It'd probably be a little better if it turns out that HHH and Steph were threatening Jason Jordan's job, not Kurt's. Kurt straight up said that if HHH tries to gently caress with him again, then he can take the job and shove it up his rear end.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gavok posted:

I don't see anything all that awful about the writing of the Rousey storyline except for how it looks with Roman/Brock going on. On one side you have "You have to listen to your bosses and that's bad!" while on the other side you have "He doesn't listen to his bosses and that's bad!"

Chad Gable, Shelton Benjamin, Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens all agreed with this post, but a ref overturned it, so now only Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens agree with it.

Astro7x posted:

Sure...

Ronda signs at EC. Do some build up, Steph tells Ronda that at Raw she will find out who her first opponent will be. Next night Steph goes into Power Trip mode, tells Ronda she is going to waste her contract doing nothing and not giving her what she wanted, to be a WWE Superstar. Says she'll do autograph signings, make appearances, but will not wrestle. Ronda puts Steph in some submission hold, demands a match at Wrestlemania against Stephanie and gets it. Triple H adds himself to the match, says it is going to be a handicap match. Angle adds himself to the match to even it out because he is a GM.

That's somewhat less cringe worthy.

The COO of the company announcing his intention to beat the poo poo out of a woman 2-on-1 with his wife would be pretty great TV, I'm not gonna lie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd say when it comes strictly to delivery, intensity, y'know, the things he can actually control, Roman probably hit his ceiling yesterday.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cena's a free agent because he's the only one that's a draw so they wanna move him back and forth as they please.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, gently caress Cena vs. Nakamura, that match sounds dumb, I guess!

achillesforever6 posted:

God you'd love that wouldn't you

He'd get to smugly tell the rest of us how dumb we are for watching Wrestlemania while he watches Wrestlemania, of course he would.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Last time it happened Cena almost broke his neck, so I'm fine with that not happening again

If he wants to keep his neck, he won't under-rotate next time. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just learned Seth was in a movie that WASN'T Sharknado or the Jetsons thing. Huh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess this week really played up that Miz losing would break Asuka’s streak in the MMC?

Guess we know exactly how it’s going to end now then.

Hooray for the dogs. :regd09:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm sure Mania will have some good matches but the build to it is going to be one of the more pointless ever

It's already been pretty aggressively pointless and that's with the best Rumble in recent memory.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I remember hearing that when Sheamus won MITB that one year that they had this same reaction but it was just immediately after as opposed to months later :v:

I'm pretty sure the article that went over this detailed Vince just picking a dude and then getting buyer's remorse more often than not.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mark Henry in a Sweater was a dynamite idea, I wish I remember who posted it originally.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Corbin once said that he was gonna win the Royal Rumble, then he was gonna win the WWE Championship in the Elimination Chamber and the main event of Wrestlemania would be him saying "I told you so." and then going home. That's why the IWGP Heavyweight Champion participates in the G1.

(also NJPW recently had the champs run the table in their Super Junior Tag Tournament which is a few steps below the G1 but it's the same basic premise and that worked out fine)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I really like Big Show but the last decade or so has demonstrated that he is a hell of a lot healthier (and probably happier) when he isn't constantly on the road. Every lengthy hiatus he took always ended with him being in great shape and looking years younger, and then after a few months on the road he was fat as poo poo again. His last run was pretty solid and he kept in shape pretty well, and if he is done now I really hope he is able to relax and stay healthy and just make the odd appearance to KO Punch a heel or something.

imo he really put an exclamation point on his career with the Strowman feud, so if he ends it on that note, great for him.

Although apparently, he really hates just showing up to KO Punch someone and then leave.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

Cool video about 205 Live's mission statement. Imagine if Smackdown explained the loving Smackdown Top 10 this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noliJL-7bas

Has a prominent Impact logo and buries the poo poo out of the old 205 Live. Wow.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My first reaction to hiring Spud to be the GM was that it wasn't a good hire because why wouldn't you take the chance to hire somebody that can get a real reaction from the crowd since that's what 205 Live needs but he's just been absolutely great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I rolled my eyes at "unbelievable ring-work". In a world where we have as much goddamn incredible wrestling as we do, do we really have to apply superlatives to Roman's passable-rear end good-for-a-TV-match wrestling just to try and stomach the fact that his push is never going to end?

shiksa posted:

same. 205 Spud is great so far though. I still want hurricane helms as the gm.

I wanted Greg Helms as GM with The Hurricane as an active competitor, with Drew Gulak insisting they're the same person and nobody believing him.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 1, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roman's matches with Braun were Very Good and are some of the only times I'm willing to give Roman a lot of credit for having good matches and not just being carried to one by a world-class worker or a No DQ stip, but the only reason Braun's best matches are with Roman are

1) They handicapped the poo poo out of Brock's matches with Braun by 1) Not playing to his strengths in the first one, 2) Adding loving Kane to the second one.
2) Braun hasn't fought anybody else that's really worth a lot in a major singles match that got real time. The closest I can think of is the Sami Zayn Last Man Standing match and that's about on the level of the Roman matches, honestly, with a less experienced Strowman than the one Roman got for their singles matches to boot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's a big difference between getting the win and getting put over and I don't know what to say if you don't get the significance of someone beating all but one guy in a multi-man match and then immediately destroying the winner of the match and walking away standing tall.

The significance of Braun pinning everybody was for him to then get pinned by Roman and the significance of him killing Roman was to pop the crowd because they all hate Roman and they want Braun as a backup plan in case one of Roman or Lesnar can't go.

Braun and Roman didn't interact at all the night after Elimination Chamber. Him standing tall is going to have meant absolutely nothing if the steroids or UFC poo poo doesn't pan out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe figure out a feud for the super over monster guy at your biggest show of the year BEFORE you realize you're a month away and there's no room on the card.

If only you had pay per views to set up Mania feuds in advance so you didn't have to cobble them together on Raw weeks before the show. If only.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"loser lays out the winner" almost never ever works and I don't know why they do it so often. It was especially stupid to do since the guy getting laid out is about to main event the biggest show of the year.

They did it because everybody hates the guy who won and they wanted to pop the crowd but don't actually want to give them what they want. I dunno what you're not getting about this. It's the same thing as having Roman be eliminated by the winner of the Rumble but main event WrestleMania every year anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Roman's inside Brock's guard when Brock shoot puts him into a triangle and Vince runs to the ring, screams "COUNT MOTHERFUCKER!" and the ref gives the fastest 3-count in history.

Wrestlemania 34 ends with Brock spelling U - F - C with his fingers.

Aphrodite posted:

It seems likely that was the plan at first, but then stuff with Brock broke down so they want to keep Braun as a backup for the main event, but need to build something for the IC title now so it's going to be just a big clusterfuck multi-man match as usual. Then Braun can be put in there if things work out with Brock.

Not sure how Miz's big push is supposed to start with Braun murdering him though.

I think the idea was he gets murdered by Braun then gets a big push post-Mania, presumably either being a challenger for Roman or going back to SmackDown and challenging Nakamura.

Andrast posted:

I don't want Braun anywhere near that garbage

This wouldn't happen in real life but the perfect version of that match would have both HHH and Steph be just absolutely terrified of their respective opponent and constantly trying to tag out and throw their spouse to the wolves, which I think would be extremely loving entertaining.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 1, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't even know to necessarily expect Demon Finn, if they dude won't bring it out for that Extreme Rules 5-way or the Elimination Chamber, the IC Title probably doesn't rate high enough.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Because he was losing those.

Yeah, so, like I said, I don't expect Demon Finn at Mania.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

bradzilla posted:

Miz isn't retaining and Seth is above the IC title. Therefore, Demon Finn.

Nobody is above a Grand Slam. Rollins has been sitting on this for three years now (while Roman and Dean both finished it before him!), finish it off already :mad:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

Fox is apparenty in the mix to acquire WWE TV rights and put Raw on Fox and Smackdown on FS1.

They would never do this, but if they made the stakes "winner gets the Fox slot, loser goes to FS1", I'd actually start buying into the whole brand supremacy poo poo at Survivor Series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My take was that Braun is there in case
A) Things get too hot with Roman and they have to pull him.
B) Brock and UFC make some kinda power play.

Basically, in case either side of that main event falls apart, Braun steps in.

Aphrodite posted:

He is. Brock reentered testing in July.

Dana White said he didn't, so, you're probably right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

Dolph Ziggler wildcard. Drugs ‘n such. Cocaine power.

Dolph Ziggler movin' fast, muscle mass, ready to fight.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean for better or worse when the WWE style is defined by kicking out of big moves, Roman having almost none besides his finisher is sub optimal and leads to this situation where commentary tries to sell the loving Superman Punch as a threat to end a match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Natural 20 posted:

Sorry which Mania match was a heatless snoozefest again?

Oh that's right Roman vs. Undertaker.

People were at least vaguely interested in Miz and Maryse vs. John and Nikki.

The Miz is so good at what he does he can get people to cheer Roman. It's unbelievable.

Miz vs. Cena had a good build on TV and the proposal was nice but that match loving sucked and it was the point where WrestleMania 33 started falling apart.

Benne posted:

Yeah Miz really got Roman over when he dropped the IC, hosed off to do a movie, and immediately won the belt back on his return

E: Beaten like a Miz opponent after Miztourage interference

Remember when Miz straight up said, in character, that he dropped the IC Title on purpose so it would be on the show while he was off filming a movie and then he immediately won it back and then won the rematch as well, suggesting that he wasn't lying? Good stuff. Got Roman super over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's pretty awesome when the Always Bad starts pointing at a wrestler you've been over for a long time now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GrimGypsy posted:

if they would have pulled the trigger on Roman at the BooTista royal rumble when the group was genuinely in love with him, all this would be playing out differently

Naaaaaah. As un-ready as Roman was in 2015, he was so much more un-ready in 2014 and that would've become abundantly clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

they hated that it wasn't Bryan

This is basically the answer to every single question about Roman and his reception.

• Locked thread