Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am so tired of these bullshit builds to Wrestlemania. They used to be the culmination of a big feud over the past several months. Now the last PPV wraps up and it's all "What is their path to Wrestlemania?"

It reminds me of when Angle and Benoit basically said "I don't have a match, you don't have a match, lets fight!" on the go home show to Wrestlemania.

Just... try! Please, just try to bring some excitement back into seeing matches on Wrestlemania. I get that the show sells itself these days, but just put a little effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Professor Funk posted:

Also WWE's lawyers should probably tell Vince that working fans by lying about what they're paying for might run afoul of state consumer protection laws. I have no clue what Nevada's state consumer protection statutes are like, but if they tried to do that in a state with super aggressive consumer protection statutes (like Massachusetts or somewhere) they would have an actual issue.

How dare they deprive those people of seeing Brock stand in the ring while Heyman talks.

Unless he was advertised in a match, nobody gives a gently caress.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf I can’t even think of a storyline to setup ronda/kurt vs steph/trips because it’s such a stupid loving ego trip so kudos to the writers for at least coming up with this pile of poo poo

Sure...

Ronda signs at EC. Do some build up, Steph tells Ronda that at Raw she will find out who her first opponent will be. Next night Steph goes into Power Trip mode, tells Ronda she is going to waste her contract doing nothing and not giving her what she wanted, to be a WWE Superstar. Says she'll do autograph signings, make appearances, but will not wrestle. Ronda puts Steph in some submission hold, demands a match at Wrestlemania against Stephanie and gets it. Triple H adds himself to the match, says it is going to be a handicap match. Angle adds himself to the match to even it out because he is a GM.

That's somewhat less cringe worthy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess this week really played up that Miz losing would break Asuka’s streak in the MMC?

Guess we know exactly how it’s going to end now then.

The MMC also has played up that Carmella beat Asuka by winning a battle royal in NXT, so I don't exactly follow how you got that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

D.N. Nation posted:

Streaks are dumb because when you end it, you either kill what was most worthwhile about the character (Rusev), or to preserve relevance you book yourself into a corner (Brad Maddox/Ryback, Fingerpoke of Doom). You know what, I say gently caress it, let Asuka's first loss be to a Mella cash-in. It'd at least be something.

To that end, I much rather prefer the way in aggregate that Braaaaaun was built. No streak, but dominance. Not perfect, but awesome.

This is why Rousey should lose her first match. Get the loss over with, don't make it feel like "well, she can't lose to Alicia Fox on Raw because that would be a lovely way to end the streak." Not that it would be clean or anything, but you know, my excitement for watching an Asuka match has diminished on Raw because I know she won't lose.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rarity posted:

Ronda's not ending the streak because she's outside talent and they have their need to prove that homegrown stars are better. Remember Lesnar and Cena at Extreme Rules 2012?

The streak really should go to Ember because it would make for really good long form storytelling.

The streak should have ended with Ember at that last Takeover.

I don't know... Yes, "Asuka" is undefeated, but she has lost before.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is the point of payin Brock to show up to a house show and beat Kane in 35 seconds? Did they think that Brock Lesnar vs Kane was going to sell tickets?

It’s an odd choice...

Chicago usually gets the pattern of a Raw before a Wrestlemania, a PPV in May/June, a house show in September, and the Christmas Raw/SD combo. So was this supposed to be the apology for us not getting that March Raw? If anything, it would just make me not want to go to future house shows. It’s not like house shows are all we get in Chicago, since we regularly get PPVs. Makes me want to save money and just do MITB/Takeover instead.

We also got a Brock/Orton match at the September house show, which was supposed to be the rematch to their SummerSlam match. So it’s not entirely odd for Lesnar to work a Chicago house show.

I know they we’re trying United Center for the first time in forever, but it didn’t exactly sell out the arena either

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I looked up the last Brock/Orton house show match. Was 6 1/2 minutes bell to bell, with it running 20 minutes total with entrances and promos. That’s at least somewhat more reasonable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how many great moments in wrestling history does this describe. like even in 90s WCW that's at least the initial Outsiders invasion and the Ric Flair "FIRE ME I'M ALREADY FIRED" promo, which is maybe the last truly great moment in WCW history

WCW had a ton of this poo poo, and it didn't make for good TV. The way Rhodes dropped the Seven gimmick, Eddie's "shoot" promo on Bischoff, Russo's Bash at the Beach promo on Hogan, Goldbeg walking out of the match with Nash and Steiner at New Blood Rising in 2000. I mean, that mentality of "all the other stuff was fake, but this right here is real!" was a huge thing with Russo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Brock was extremely popular for a long time as absentee champion but there's a sense that he's been getting stale, and since his contract is up and he might want out, now is a good time for a switch. Why was it a bad decision to push Brock Lesnar, one of the most over guys on the roster?

I think this entire title reign of his has been garbage when it was obvious that they were building up Reigns/Lesnar one year later at the next Wrestlemania. Brock's very few appearances mean less when it's clear he is going over the competition.

Look at this lovely run over the past year
vs. Samoa Joe at Great Balls of Fire in July
vs. Joe/Reigns/Strowman at SummerSlam in August
vs. Strowman at No Mercy in September
vs. Styles at Survivor Series in November
vs. Strowman/Kane at Rumble in January
vs Reigns at Wrestlemania 34 in April

6 televised matches in a year, 5 title defenses, and I don't think I questioned him losing any of these matches . It all just feels wasted.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Alright, ticket sale dates for NXT Chicago/Money in the Bank announced.

http://www.wwe.com/article/money-in-the-bank-2018-tickets

Wed. March 7th @ 10am CT - "limited" NXT/MITB combo tickets on Ticketmaster.com
Fri. March 9th @ 10am CT - WWE Money In The Bank on Ticketmaster.com
Sat. April 14th @ 12pm CT - NXT Chicago on NXTtickets.com

Edit: It is worth noting that the Ticketmaster page for the combo tickets says it starts tomorrow, and that the price range is between $45-$295. I assume no floor seats for the combo tickets based on those prices. Presale code for a day earlier?

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/wwe-nxt-money-in-the-rosemont-illinois/event/0400545BCF18718A?artistid=807358&tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is the same company that built up an Angle/Benoit match at Wrestlemania 17 by having them come out and basically say "you're not in a match, I'm not in match, so lets fight!" the week before Wrestlemania happened.

• Locked thread