Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OhsH posted:

Laance Stroll is legitamtely a good driver.

Is that like Luuke Skywalker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
To Lance's credit he's probably not the worst driver on the grid right now,

he's equal worst with Sirot

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dubs posted:

The two Australian drivers are far worse imo.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I can't remember any

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The only actual driver in this series just announced his retirement. The rest of these lumps are just variously convincing AI stand-ins (except Lance).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Alonso hasn't been an actual driver for 10 years

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
WANTED: Assistant tire manager. Must excel at behind-the-wheel acceptance of direction from large team of senior tire managers. Flat spotters, grain inducers, and on-track passers need not apply.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah F1 sure has gone downhill since <insert golden years of whatever generation you're from>

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
F1 is going through a boom period tbh. Decently close race for the title and plenty of poo poo hot talents making their way into the sport.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

Mario Theissen in a Ferrari...now I have seen everything...

:thurman: :vince:

I don't know why but that made me laugh so drat hard. Thanks tuo :D

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

freeranger posted:

:thurman: :vince:

I don't know why but that made me laugh so drat hard. Thanks tuo :D

:hfive:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

Yeah F1 sure has gone downhill since <insert golden years of whatever generation you're from>
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S SENNA'S 1988 MONOCO POLE LAP AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY THRUSTMASTER H-SHIFTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN VROOM SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TRICKY APEX OR EVEN WHEN DOUBLE SHIFTING. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WERE FASTEST AT THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN REDDIT THREADS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN INTERNET BOARDS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SHIFTS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 1MIN 23.9SECONDS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Is that like Luuke Skywalker?

Absolutely not. Uncle Luke is cool.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S SENNA'S 1988 MONOCO POLE LAP AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY THRUSTMASTER H-SHIFTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN VROOM SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TRICKY APEX OR EVEN WHEN DOUBLE SHIFTING. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WERE FASTEST AT THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN REDDIT THREADS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN INTERNET BOARDS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SHIFTS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 1MIN 23.9SECONDS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Please don't post in all caps thank you.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
qualy or the race will be wet, for fucks sake

edit: also LeClerk Sharls probably will drive for Hass next year.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 21, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

Lets all examine the superb high quality work of a senile former formula atlantic mechanic

Would you rather it didn't flow fluid when cracked open? I think you need to count your blessings

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

DoctorGonzo posted:

qualy or the race will be wet, for fucks sake

edit: also LeClerk Sharls probably will drive for Hass next year.

Since when is rain a bad thing?

(except Japan 2015)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since Vettel loving sucks in wet weather

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DoctorGonzo posted:

Since Vettel loving sucks in wet weather

Vettel fraud confirmed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Since Vettel loving sucks

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Another chance for certified rain master Max Verstappen to prove how good he is in the wet. This time he'll be good like the one time he was the only one on fresh wets and passed a few cars struggling to stay on the track, not like all the other times it's rained and he's been mediocre to poor.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Q_res posted:

He'll be slightly more worried when Stroll is driving for Force Canada next year.

Nope, because...

Dubs posted:

Maybe not quite that bad... but not far off. He won't get a true top drive, and he won't get another podium for anything other than massive attrition.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/miezicat1/status/1031797783169310720?s=19

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Oh my god yes.

PLEASE get Grosjean out of the sport

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

Another chance for certified rain master Max Verstappen to prove how good he is in the wet. This time he'll be good like the one time he was the only one on fresh wets and passed a few cars struggling to stay on the track, not like all the other times it's rained and he's been mediocre to poor.

Also that he passed a bunch of slow rear end midfield cars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh god, I forgot that the next race is the home race of he who shall not be named

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Revisionist history is hilarious. He's been good in the wet throughout and through the feeder series as well.

Of course you'll do what you did last time, point to Max struggling in the wet and go "lol rainmaster?!?!?" and ignore Danny Ric 7 grid positions behind him.
Maybe if you understood the first thing about the different aero designs used in F1 you'd know why some cars completely fall off the pace in the wet?

Please expand your understanding, not hate, for noted expert driver Max "maximum" Verstappen.

Thank you.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"Rain is a great leveller you see the true driver talent come through just watch"

*Max finishes 10th*

"You guys just don't understand aero"

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

NtotheTC posted:

Oh my god yes.

PLEASE get Grosjean out of the sport

Yeah, this is way overdue.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it was an interesting way to burn an hour: https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/theredbulletin/pit-stop-documentary-red-bull-tv

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This thread: sky overhype all British drivers and it's the worst thing

Also this thread: how dare you criticise sky overhyping Max's wet weather driving

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

This thread: sky is poo poo

Also this thread: Max is poo poo

ftfy

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I have no issue with either of those statements

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

"Rain is a great leveller you see the true driver talent come through just watch"

*Max finishes 10th*

"You guys just don't understand aero"

Rain is a great leveller of engine performance. It doesn't level the strengths and weaknesses of a particular chassis.
Please learn how Formula 1 works.

The RBR2018 (or whatever the gently caress it's called) is a high rake concept car. That means much of it's downforce comes from a ground effect made by having an angled area under the car (low front, high rear). When you do this, the rest of your car will have less downforce and focus on being able to deal with dirty air better. This is why Max and Dan can come back at someone overtaking them in a way other cars are struggling to emulate.
In the wet you can't do this, so you're just out a gently caress load of downforce.
They can run higher wings if they expect race+qually to be wet, but if they do this and either session is dry they'll be nowhere at all in the dry.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Khablam posted:

Rain is a great leveller of engine performance. It doesn't level the strengths and weaknesses of a particular chassis.

The RBR2018 (or whatever the gently caress it's called) is a high rake concept car. That means much of it's downforce comes from a ground effect made by having an angled area under the car (low front, high rear). When you do this, the rest of your car will have less downforce and focus on being able to deal with dirty air better. This is why Max and Dan can come back at someone overtaking them in a way other cars are struggling to emulate.
In the wet you can't do this, so you're just out a gently caress load of downforce.
They can run higher wings if they expect race+qually to be wet, but if they do this and either session is dry they'll be nowhere at all in the dry.

This is actually the exact opposite to what you’re saying, downforce is even more of a performance point in the rain as there is even less mechanical grip from the tires. lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Max is going to die and I will lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

In the wet you can't do this, do you're just out a gently caress load of downforce.

None of this is accurate dude

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

The Kimoa Kid posted:

None of this is accurate dude

What you originally posted was more accurate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

What you originally posted was more accurate.

I'm trying to be optimistic enough to imagine that he will listen and learn why he is wrong, which in fact makes me the stupider person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Evidence that no matter how bad this thread gets, it will never be reddit-bad

Also, that is the top rated post in the F1 sub at the moment