Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Extremely early for a new season thread imho

Fernando Alonso MWDC 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Are Fernando was the only driver good enough to set a lap time today

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Actually Formula 1 rules

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

GramCracker posted:

Phwoar. What did Are Kube do?

He went out but did not set a time

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Stoffel's getting a good run in today. Plenty of time at the top of the timesheet, albeit with hypersofts on. If McLaren needed to convince a potential sponsor or two they're probably doing enough. If they end up in Melbourne with no new stickers on the car lol just lol.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only people pro brexit are racists, morons and disaster capitalists. Tony Blair for all his many faults is firmly against (every living prime minister except May is firmly against)

Also made a loving bike thread you knobs

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

We are not making a bike thread. Let me make that perfectly clear at this early juncture of this great thread, there will be bike posts.

Eat the hat you fuckman

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
While Vandoorne's lap was on hypers it was early on when the track was drying. Hamilton's lap was impressive, but much later on when the track had dried and rubbered in.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's clearly not going to be a race winning car at the start of the season, but the McLaren is looking a decent car, and in the hands of Fernando Alonso I'm expecting some fun

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dinosaurs! posted:

This will be my second season trying to figure out this dead/dying sport. How much support does Renault give Red Bull and McLaren? Did they just deliver the engine with a "good luck, have fun" note? Honda looked like it had a pretty hands-on role in Amazon's McLaren series, but they also didn't have the competing interest of their own team.

As of this season the manufacturers are required to give the teams they supply the same set up as the factory team if they want it, including software and fuel/oil specifications. Previously things like special quali modes were withheld. I know there's normally representatives of the manufacturer that the customer teams liaise with on race weekends.

Renault are still going to give Red Bull the least optimal parts off the production line just to gently caress with them.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

For some reason the rbr renault is the worse sounding one to me?

also what was the $2 problem Boullier was talking about?

According to BBC "an exhaust clip broke" which was the reason for overheating on day 2

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
"Whilst the dossiers for each team may be identical it would appear that some are being operated in a different way to others being supplied by the same manufacturer

"It is therefore our view that all power units supplied by one manufacturer should be identical, not only in terms of the dossier for each team being the same, but we also feel they should be operated in an identical way.

"With this in mind, we will expect all power units supplied by the same manufacturer to be:

"i) Identical according to the dossier for each team.

"and, unless a team informs us that they have declined any of the following, they should be:

"ii) Run with identical software and must be capable of being operated in precisely the same way.

"iii) Run with identical specifications of oil and fuel."

I imagine the FIA would take a dim view of a manufacturer not giving the right instructions as that would not make the supplied power units "capable of being operated in precisely the same way"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-biggest-design-trends-in-2018-1010673

Actually read this

Then eat the hat 1500

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pretty sure this is some kind of hate crime

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You need higher standards, mate

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm married, any port in a storm, etc

Even female Ericsson and Verstappen?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They still have fan boost as well. What a loving joke series. Daniel Abt literally won a race :lol:

E: Michelin man involved in podium celebrations

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Toro Rosso always do a shitton of laps in pre season testing, it's just the way they operate. If the Honda engine can actually manage that now, great, but we have no way of knowing if the harvesting issues are still there and the low temperatures will be masking overheating problems as well.

McLaren have clearly had a few teething problems, but that's kinda to be expected. Their biggest loss of track time was a wheel nut failure.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

gently caress off Ferrari you mean, trying to hold the sport to ransom when they haven't won a championship in over a decade

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Remember the time when Ferrari tried to get leverage by buying into A1GP and branding it with Ferrari everywhere and it collapsed after one season because nobody gave a poo poo about Ferraris racing each other

And then Bernie gave them more money anyway because he was a corrupt piece of poo poo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Good stuff LC, maybe in a few years McLaren can get a car to complete a lap

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's almost like it's the first time they've run with this engine and there are some minor teething problems

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's really funny that McLaren keep failing more than some other teams, but parts breaking in testing when you're testing them is sort of normal.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It would make more sense if the F1 team with a facility in Yorkshire was T'rell

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Please don't insult people with brain damage by comparing them to Ferrari fans

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Even if Honda have their act together finally, Alonso was completely done with them and McLaren need Alonso to stick around.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

tuo posted:

Vettel is bad.
Schumacher is semi-bad.
Frentzen is awesome though.

Not sure where to put DTM-Glock and F1-Glock.

Heidfeld...phwoaaa

e: I always forget about Hulkenberg, also good

What about Adrian Sut...ahahaha

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Sorry I meant Markus Winkelhock

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Markus Winkelhock may have been the last person to lead an F1 race in an orange car

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Cats are lame, dogs are good, birds are god tier

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
In other news this is good stuff (if you actually read it and ignore the dumb headline)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43343666

I love the obvious disdain everyone has for Carmen Jorda's credibility.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Calderon says women may have to work harder to be fit enough for top level motorsports because of a tendency to have less lean muscle but it's totally doable and no reason to settle for Formula e.

Jorda thinks F1 is too demanding for women and they should give up and do something easier

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
McLaren have managed more laps today than Sauber and Renault.

The laptimes are even more bacony than usual unless people genuinely think Haas are quick

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Speaking of bacon: Alonso goes p2

Definitely not a desperate cry for sponsors

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Fernando Alonso was briefly the best with a lap record, but he cut the chicane to do it and had to settle for 2nd

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Barring some huge surprise it's either the 4th or 5th fastest.

If I had to guess I'd say

Mercedes

Ferrari/Red Bull

Force India/McLaren/Renault/Williams
Sauber/Toro Rosso
Haas

At the start of the season anyway. McLaren always develop what they have well over a season so I expect a podium or two at the tail end of the season. Melbourne always throws a surprise result out there so maybe McLaren'll get it out of the way early

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

That car is not even finishing Melbourne, loving lol at the idea of it getting a podium.

They got a double podium last time they had a non Honda engine in Melbourne. I did say it would be a surprise

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't think there's enough available information during testing to make any sensible conclusions. Honestly the better measure is the mood of team members during testing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apart from all those good points no team is doing the same things at the same time in the same conditions on the same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nothing would give me more pleasure than Fernando Alonso finishing ahead of the Ferraris