Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

I thought RB was moving to Honda next season, they were using Toro Rosso as a guinea pig for this season to iron out any (all) bugs.

Renault has given RB until (some point in?) May to decide if they're gonna keep the RBR legacy alive or if they're moving to Honda next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If they stick to their self-imposed deadline I'd imagine Renault will win.
Honda is Honda and I wouldn't the odds of their engine "working" this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

They arent FCA ir whatever the gently caress is crysler, alfa, Maserati and the others. They arent Fiat

Then why the gently caress is there an Alfa Romeo badged Ferrari engine in a Sauber?
They might as well be in FCA. They might not be FIAT, but they still do what FIAT tells them.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Lol, the engine notes coming out of those red bulls indicated that, although clearly they had one of the better chassis, there is no way in hell they are finishing ahead of Renault’s works team.

If McLaren were talking out their arse and their chassis was Williams tier rather than Red Bull tier (50/50 odds on this, given how bad the rest of the team is suffering from atrophy) then Renault is absolutely gonna want to keep Red Bull on side.

If they aren't hedging their bets to start the season I'd be v surprised, 'cos Renault is still several years from being a competitive team.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

I'll take a month if Ferrari come higher than fourth in the WCC or if McLaren win a race, whichever happens first (neither will happen) :toxx:

Ferrari is gonna be 2nd or 3rd, so you're eating a month.
Should be safe on the McLaren one tho.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If McLaren are right and their chassis is as well sorted as they think it is, then there's a chance they sneak a win away from Red Bull.

If they aren't, we're gonna know all about it by round 3.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that Mercedes are saying they would join Ferrari in petulance quitting which is new, and would leave F1 with Renault and Honda suddenly having to supply a load more teams, which given they can’t currently supply works teams with non-exploding engines leaves the sport pretty much hosed.

Volkswagen-Audi would have a boner so large you could see Wolfsburg from space if F1 had a 150mil spending cap. Porsche would be in F1 quicker than you could say "gently caress you Audi".

Also, I don't know if Renault would stick around if there was a 150mil cap; they seem pretty determined to win, but aren't going all in because they know they're a ways off it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

She got in.

My 14 year old daughter got into the McLaren partnered engineering school.

Crying.

So many congrats.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Theophany posted:

So where do you lads think Ferrari will piss away any hope of the championship this year? I'm thinking they'll probably hold on to the battle longer, but there's every possibility they could do it by Q2 at Melbourne.

The mid-season break sounds like the safest bet; I think they'll do something to gently caress up Monaco and that will spiral them out of contention.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gret posted:

Just become a Williams fan if you want to see a pair of boobs behind the wheel.

:golfclap:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

freeranger posted:

Oh and serious F1 chat, anyone know why Max didnt do well in testing? Did he just not do much running at all compared to our Dan? I was paying attention to the testing days but don't remember Max doing anything at all.

Red Bull haven't taken the sandbags off, and on the days where they lightened them they had issues for Max.
God I hope we get "First half of the season" Red Bull for Max.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

we need a Scuderia Ferrari gangtag imo

This is from a while ago, but...

EDIT: Linked the soundtrack...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My colourblindness means I can't make out the words on the final hamilton image.

Probably this disability would prevent me from becoming a formula one driver, being unable to decipher all the flashing warning lights on the steering wheel and I would do things like keep getting in the wrong car.

So maybe a McLaren driver.

First take was done immediately after Singapore, quick and nasty. The text just kind of blends. Try this.

I think I got rid of the psd at some point.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

It's Renault telling Red Bull to gently caress off, not Red Bull making any decision.

It's 50-50.
Red Bull hate using the Renault engines and Renault hates Red Bulls endless complaining but at the same time, Red Bull gives Renault a target to meet and an idea of where they are in their car development program while Renault gives Red Bull engines that are generally somewhere in the ballpark of competitive.

Renault only wants to lose Red Bull if McLaren prove they're gonna set a marker that Renault can use and Red Bull only want to leave Renault if Honda proves to genuinely be better/Aston Martin convince Mercedes to give them an engine they can brand as Aston Martin to help boost marketability for Mercedes "joint venture".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Sorry.

Renault are geniuses. They knew McLaren were poo poo, grabbed them so they could punt red bull. Now they're unequivocally the top Renault team and they've completely removed Red Bull from the equation.

I don't honestly believe they're gonna be the 2nd best Renault team this year. It depends on how many "malfunctions" the McL and the Ren have all year. Red Bull could probably still do better than McL or Renault while on Honda power tbqh.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Renault are loving great. I love how they hold so much power over Red Bull, and how refreshingly blunt Abiteboul can be.

I prefer the fact they have Prost walking around pitlane over the fact Mercedes has Ratface walking around pitlane.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Does this mean we're getting Scuderia Ferrari Havaianas?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thinking Ferrari are sandbagging and the German cheats at Mercedes will be found out very shortly.

During the preseason it was Mercedes who were sandbagging and Ferrari who were bringing the heat.
Now it's Ferrari sandbagging and Mercedes bringing the heat.

I for one hope Ferrari sandbag the season away.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Australia was a mistake.

Ferrari should've died with Enzo.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

td4guy posted:

Apparently Williams were particularly poo poo in this race due to a software issue. They literally couldn't adjust engine modes on their Mercedes engine. Stuck in garbage mode for the whole race or something.

They have two paydrivers they can't publicly whinge about.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

I know Stroll got passed by fantastic scud boi Leclerc but what the gently caress did Sirloin did this weekend? I dont remember anything about the guy.

edit: i know we make fun of bottas but Verstappen was really bad this weekend.

Sirotkin had some kind of issue and had to retire early on.
He might have been the first car back in the pits.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Liberty owns

https://twitter.com/insidefom/status/978247423146340353?s=21

Incredibly impressive that they are not only listening to feedback but implementing fixes so quickly.

They had a *lot* of teething issues with the broadcast so it's not surprising they've got stuff they're working on.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I don't think they calculated VSC, only SC and they guesstimated from that.
There are some odd side-effects of the VSC rules that make the window more complicated than it seems at first glance.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 27, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Theophany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1nldB2DWzM

Fixed the F1 intro. I'm sure you'll all agree this is a massive improvement.

Barnesy is always an improvement :australia:

learnincurve posted:

They should change the anthems to Eurovision entries.

Then have an increasingly drunk Graham Norton on race commentary.

I like how the Australia Grand Prix would still get an entry song, and how Graham Norton would 100% fit in with the vast majority of the British expat crowd.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

This is the Motorsports cycle:

1) Okay, we have Manufacturers, lets make this more exciting for the fans

2) Okay, the privateers are complaining that it's getting too expensive, lets make it cheaper OR Okay, the Manufacturers are leaving because we made it too expensive, let's make it cheaper

3) The fans are complaining that the cars are boring, let's loosen the regs and see if we can't draw in some manufacturers OR Wow, that new technical innovation <insert manufacturer/team here> just came up with is really cool and they're dominating, we should really see if we can water it down and make it mandatory

Rinse. Repeat.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

GramCracker posted:

I like that WEC is currently in between steps 2 and 3.

WEC is in the glorious death spiral global Sportscar has been in ever since Bernie managed to gently caress it up the arse with a 10ft stop sign pole by somehow convincing the FIA that their best and smartest move was to kill WSC by bringing in mandatory F1-style V10s (see also: the reason why a Mazda won Le Mans), so it's accelerating through the motorsports cycle and is currently at such speed that it can occupy two positions at once. By 2025 it'll either be dead or simultaneously occupying all three.

Don't believe me?

Their logic will be "Well, we still have Toyota and they want us to pursue Hybrid/Electric technology more aggressively so we'll put a bunch of stuff in the regs that does that... but we also want to get Peugeot in so we'll water down all our LMP1HY regs and let them come in as an LMP1 competitor with a really low initial investment threshold... we should probably also make the cars stand out more, so we'll follow the DPi lead and loosen regs more to allow for more exciting looking cars that can bear more resemblance to their roadgoing counterparts".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 3, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

when I said global Sportscar, I meant top-tier endurance racing.

GT Racing is amazing, but top tier Sportscar is and always will be the king of endurance racing.
There's something special about watching a team poo poo bricks as their "half the price of an F1 car" car gets run off the track by a Pro-Am Ferrari, or as it slowly makes its way back to the pits after an engine blow out.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

COTA has a CGI eagle courtesy of Liberty.

Did we ever learn why?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

So Liberty is going to tell the teams this week what are their plans after this Concorde expires. The political row will be pretty hard i guess with Ferrar and Mercedes on one side and the rest of the teams in another.

I don't think Renault is on either side, and Red Bull would prefer it if the current paradigm continued but will happily brown nose their way into Liberty's inner intestine if it'll get them the relationship they had with Bernie.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I miss the days of Red Bull being the avant garde of cheats in motorsports.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

If Ferrari sign Ricciardo I'd like everyone to remember that I always was a massive fan and he was definitely destined for greatness. Also that I always defended him from all the haters ITT.

Far more likely Ferrari poach Their Lewis and Mercedes picks up Daniel "The Smiley Bogan with all the teeth that drives F1 cars" Ricciardo.

And then I'll have to actually support those loving Germans as they find magical new ways to throw away another promising Aussies career.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Why the gently caress isn’t Big Bobby Kube in one of the race seats. This is a crime against humanity.

Because he was consistently slower than or on par with Sirotkin but has less money backing him.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Sirotkin is literally bankrolled by a oligarch and an extremely close person to Putin.

Which makes that money volatile; more sanctions could see that all go up in flames.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Halo14 posted:

Sure, Hamilton has a personality. Of a Kardashian.

It's still a personality.

The Smiley Bogan With All The Teeth is the only guy with a personality someone should label "likeable" but even then only some people.
Vettel is a whiny crybaby who was coddled to death by Horner and who can never accept that he's not the greatest thing ever. He can't deal with pressure and his whole team has to be his or it's gonna fall to pieces. Explains kimi to a degree.
Max is Vettel 2.0. In. Every. Way.
Lewis is a trash compactor of pop culture garbage and an incessant need to be liked.
Nando is Nando. loving lol if you think I'm touching that one (that one can definitely touch me though, if you know what I mean fellas).
Sergio Perez, Nico Magnussen and Kevin Hulkenburg are vaguely forgettable also-rans who occaisionally do things that are memorable ("kiss my balls honey") but by and large off the track they're boring as gently caress.
Sharls Leclerr could be really neat but he's gonna need time to grow into that.

At the end of the day the milquetoast nature of an F1 driver is what's required of an F1 driver.
They're effectively billboards for ads these days so if they had personalities they've probably been dragged away from them. The only reason Dan, Max and Vettel kept so much of theirs is because they largely didn't need sponsorship so bad because they came through the Red Bull "no fucks given" academy. The only reason Lewis has so much is because he's so loving desperate to be famous.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

2) Kimi is actually a colossal pick, and it's real lovely that edgelords give him a pass on his behaviour because "omg iceman bwoah lolll"

I give him a pass because he was my favorite driver when I was like 12.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

I just can't imagine what the reaction would have been if it had been Vettel or Hamilton that had stormed past a clearly in-pain mechanic without a word because of a hissy fit, and then when asked about it later given a response of literally "sucks to be him"

I mean, I was sleeping through the race and only heard the milquetoast media response and saw some (please don't show me again) images from the highlights.
Also, Mahrk and Smiley Bogan With All The Teeth have my heart now.

Vettel probably would've earned my ire since his team is so completely and totally his team that they kept a clearly past it absolutely not worth keeping around Kimi Raikkonen around because Vettel's scared of competition.
Hamilton would've probably said something profoundly stupid, but I also believe he'd at least pretend to give a poo poo about his crew since he's got a decent history of pretending to give a poo poo about his crew.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

17 28 Brendon Hartley Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda 56 +1 lap 0 - another fucktarded aussie, wasting the time of a good and cool Italian team. Dear torro rosso please fire this weird long faced guy and hire a real Italian driver 4/10

There's an entire nation of people gearing up to murder you right now.
Just as soon as they finish procreating with their sheep.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Excuse me, Ferraris are always Rosso Corsa :italy:

It helps when Rosso Corsa is an arbitrary value you can adjust to suit your cigarette branding sponsor's needs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Ah, so I see you want every driver to die as soon as they step into the car without the halo.

I see you're leaning into your avatar.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Just think... Big Bobby K was quicker than either (less than half a second quicker than Sirloin, despite having the new Hypersoft on vs Sirloin using just standard softs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Qmass posted:

Did anyone else hear that machine gun noise during a closeup of the merc braking ? Sounded like a blown diffuser ?

edit: maybe you can even hear it at the end of this shot, although during Q3 there was a much better mic position

https://streamable.com/jq94w

They mentioned it on the commentary.
Possibly blown exhaust into the underside of the rear wing, something the Renault has been doing all season.

I was at Melbourne and I heard the noise as they came into the last and second to last corners too.