Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Pirate Radar posted:

LANCE “AVRO CANADA ARROW” STROLL RACING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Great lap from Our Waffle, putting Macca at the top of the timesheet. The WDC is ours, lads

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Y’all are talking about Sanders right

Bernie Sanders F1 would be incredible

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Dubs posted:

so did anyone notice williams testing results

cars a dog apparently. its funny how williams went from mclaren level dominance to an afterthought now. i guess it means theres still hope for mclaren given that ppl haven't forgotten them yet by virtue of making fun of how poo poo they are

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Theophany posted:

Liberty once again gently caress F1 in the rear end.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HaUZ-MWppQ

The prosecution calls wicka to the stand.

this has to be a joke

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Here is the new F1 theme song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqLAkdESrgo

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Theophany posted:

Hey all you dipshit fucklords, watch this, it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE&t=14s

Cool car, Gonzo-grade poo poo food (waffle hotdog :wtc:) and awesome Brit doing cool poo poo with a toolbox.

it's cool they made a new show and got rid of the segment with the fat piece of poo poo pretending to haggle and then underselling the guys work but the car was already kind of mostly finished and just needed assembling. they kind of focused on the boring parts. i'd have liked to hear more about the changes to the engine and what went into setting that up rather than watching two guys fiddle with a headliner and then replace a brake

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Schlesische posted:

I don't think she's being short sighted, I think she's doing her best to deal with the garbage position that has been brewing ever since the BMW relationship turned ultra hostile.
When she says "If we don't get costs down to x in 2021, Williams is hosed" I believe her.

Williams ultra hosed themselves by pissing BMW off and losing the works deal. I can't help but feel like it's just desserts that after treating almost every WDC they had as disposable they were seen as the same by two manufacturers on the trot and then faded into obscurity. I feel like McLaren's following the same trajectory tbh

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Alonso is just a bitter gently caress at this point and he has no one to blame but himself.

Everything after his 2nd WDC has been a disaster and he should have stayed with Ferrari tooth and nail.

i'm probably crazy for thinking this but had he dealt with 2007 better (ie not adding a ton of unnecessary stress and pressure by selling out your team and making them hate you) he'd have probably walked away with the 2007 title and possibly 2008 if he'd stayed on, and mercedes wouldn't have been permanently put off him

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Schlesische posted:

Absolutely go gently caress yourself.

The Frenchman vs the Terrible Hair

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds

Lewis is lapping significantly faster in the initial phase of the race, pits for fresher tires, and remains significantly faster. Ocon pits, Lewis starts to try and "manage" his tires (whines about them on radio) and Ocon bridges the gap a little in clean air. Lewis tries to attack Vettel for a couple laps as Vettel makes another 4 lap attack on Ricciardo, quickly backs off to bitch about his tires some more, Ocon continues to enjoy mostly clean running. The only reason it tightened up in the end is because Mercedes still don't get the tires and Lewis was trying to do like 69 (niiiiiiiice) laps on Ultrasofts, something Pirelli designed the Supersofts to do.

At no point in that early phase was holding up Hamilton going to be remotely in Ocon's advantage. You can call out the fact Toto Wolff had a conversation with Szafnauer or "Messeur or Madame Whogivesashit" as much as you want, until there's evidence otherwise you're just parroting the dumb talking points Sky used to try and liven up a dull point in a tense if unspectacular race.

Here are the laptimes and gap-to-leader times that Lance Stroll had.

Gap to leader

Lap time, in seconds

I've thrown in Max, because he was the actual fastest driver on the course and Sergei Sirotkin because he's the closest "I'm not getting blues here" driver to Lance Stroll (although I don't think Stroll was actively lapped by that many drivers, I think he mostly got lapped during his trips to the pits).
Stroll got a heap of time for a couple of laps because he was on Hypersofts and had an overabundance of clean air; He didn't, at any stage, get 40 loving laps worth of 5-7 seconds a lap advantage in one pit stop (he had to pit 3 times, the latter two for fresh Hypers). In both of his "enforced" pitstops (he punctured his Supers in lap 34 and had to go to fresh Hypers, which meant he had to pit in lap 59 for another pair of Hypers) the same thing happens - he warms the tires, gets a 3-4 lap burst of 4 seconds that degrades to the plateau in 4 laps and then chugs along until the end of the stint.
I know what you're saying though: "Lance is a binman (two punctures? come on buddy) driving a shitbox (temperature warnings all race? come on Williams), show me a real driver!", and don't worry, we'll get to that.

The one-stop strategy dominates at like 90% of the tracks this season and it's largely because the total gain is negligible compared to losing track position and potentially ruining a new set of tires; track position is King in Modern F1 and it's not just a Monaco thing. That's partly because Mercedes (and presumably Ferrari, to a point) have purpose built their car to work significantly better in clean air, to the extreme detriment of it's aerodynamic package's ability to follow and overtake, partly because the engines don't like the heat given off by the exhaust of a car in front and partly because the tires have ridiculously specific temperature windows because Pirelli have overengineered this and hosed it all.
None of the above is likely to change.

Here's Max and the Train.

Gap to leader

Lap time in seconds
Red dot = overtake while they were pitting, Blue dot = overtake on track

Long story short, Max was never close enough to go for big time overtakes on other drivers other than Hulkenburg - who had a bit of pace himself - and Sainz, who had a garbageman day. His Hypers lasted a lot longer than I think anyone would've predicted, but even then we're talking maybe 30 seconds of total advantage on the dominant chassis which was already noted pre-race to be treating it's tires supremely well, which ground to a halt behind Hulkenburg and required imaginative use of track widths to get past sainz. By the time Max catches the Finntrain it's so big that he's got no chance of getting through it at Monaco, but his laptimes have already started completely disintegrating.

Let's go into the Hypothetical, Seb switches to the Hypers and gets Max's 12 laps of burst. If he comes in in lap 64, to maximise his burst (2 laps of warm up, 12 laps of balls to the wall) he comes out of the pits behind the finntrain and has to get through 6 drivers, including two Mercedes, to get back to a position to attack Ricciardo. Lets uhh... let's scrap that.
Let's say lap 54 then - there's a 28 second gap back to Ocon, let's say Vettel puts in a Superman-esque in-lap and comes out 2 seconds in front of Ocon. He still has to get by his main championship rival's teammate, his main championship rival and then hope there's enough left in the tires, the battery and the fuel tank to get him by Ricciardo, whose performance in Austria last year leaves no doubt that he's handy driving defensively.
Let's take this away from Monaco, even at Silverstone I don't see him making that stick. And it's not because Monaco is a procession, it's because the tires aren't 4-5s a lap for 10 laps quicker, they're 4s a lap quicker for 1 lap, then degrading so that by lap 10 you're maybe 1/2 a second quicker, maybe. New tires might get you 25-30 seconds, but they're gonna cost you at least 25 seconds and if something goes wrong you're hosed. By driving so slowly, Dan actually (probably inadvertently) took the extra stop off the table because it meant Seb didn't have a window to fall back into and ultimately that works on any circuit where you have the absolute dominance in the bendy bits the way Dan had.

Forgot to say, the reason pitting for Hypers at 54 was a huge gamble had to do with the fact that you're pushing them past the 20 lap recommended run time; sure there's less fuel and more rubber on track, but in theory you're still gambling on either getting a huge gap or a safety car to bring it into the genuinely safe zone. Hulkenburg and Verstappen disproved this, but if you're Ferrari you'd have to be seriously wondering if it's worth it.

Did you get any of that, or are you a big dumb baby?

All graphs pulled from here.

Stroll driver of the...day?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

track day bro! posted:

*In Sebastian Vettel voice, ie an extremely cool one* Honestly, that post is some reddit tier poo poo. Blue flag, blue flag.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The last drug I was on before I switched to MAOIs was amitryptiline which is so old and widely used (for non depression stuff like nerve pain, migraines and insomnia) that it costs like $3 a month

Amitryptiline is what my wife takes and it's the only thing that keeps her sane. Whenever we switch doctors they always get really upset and confused when they see it and try to take her off it. Our doctor in 2016 took her off it (while putting me on even worse meds) and the result was so bad we nearly got divorced and had to separate for a while.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

im going to play rimworld

i did the art for that game. play it. the developer deserves it and is one of few indie devs i've worked with who knew what they were doing

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDgixbomcWY extended moto3 footage

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Minto Took posted:

Yep. This was the official reason.

BMW showed they could do F1. They just needed to keep trying.

It was their "official" "reason"

The unofficial reason was ":qq: the regs we pushed for didn't work out for us :qq:"

They were one of the biggest proponents of the bullshit KERS/aero regs and threw away their 2008 campaign so they could expect to be frontrunners in 2009 and it totally backfired and made them look dumb

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

kimi's been accused of sexual assault https://jalopnik.com/after-montreal-woman-accuses-him-of-sexual-assault-f1s-1826425916

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Great day to see Lance Stroll take his maiden victory and silence the haters! #ForzaLance

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

STROLL DRIVER OF THE DAY

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

What a sham. Stroll should be given a race ban.

Race ban? More like Moral 1st Place. Stroll was cheated by Binman Hartley

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The results are in, Lance Stroll is officially the Driver of the Day for the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix! Don't believe the fake news media saying it was Vettel.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

You Am I posted:

More leik bad driver of the day am I rite?

Yes

MOOODSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Radiohead71 posted:

Alright, which one of you is this?

:vince:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Driver of the day?

That's right, it's Lance Stroll.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

if i was michael andretti i wouldnt want to even think about F1 after his single experience with it

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

latest rumor is that some ppl at mclaren are in open revolt and asking martin whitmarsh to come back lmao

i mean at this point what could go wrong

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Also McLaren are following the exact same trajectory as Williams after telling BMW to go gently caress themselves in 2004

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

did u guys hear about red bull honda also Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/lance-stroll-voted-driver-of-year-by-f1-team-principals

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day...?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sounds like a whole bunch of fail.

-Feels Villeneuve

It's times like these I miss the valued input of our dearly departed resident 4-time WDC, Alain Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day