Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
*shrug* well as I said, its not something that bothers me any right now - Maybe that's just I'm kinda over a lot of poo poo in life right now and I'd just like to focus on ... well.... anything else other than what got me into this mess in the first place.

TBH what I would like to do is build awesome race car. Going fast never gets old.

Pet toll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Being 32 and still getting snow days is pretty, pretty cool.

omg want to boop those paws

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 2, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sometimes being in a relationship sucks, but having a person who supports you is a good thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Return of beerchat: Brewdog are giving away free Punk IPA. Mainly a UK thing, but I think they have some Euro bars too. Usual "sign up for our newsletter" deal:

https://www.brewdog1million.com/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek posted:

Being a puppy is hard work

I want to pet that fluffy bastard

Back from vacation, my car now smells of wet dog. I'm glad I vacuumed it before we left because there's now dog fur, sand, sand burrs and everything else covering every square inch of the interior. One dog loved the ocean and would have swam the entire time, other chased waves out then ran when the next one came in.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The state of British railways is loving disastrous. Some snow falls and suddenly every train is cancelled. This is poo poo that countries like bulgaria, hungary or ukraine can get right but it's not cost efficient to prepare for snow so the for profit rail companies couldnt give a gently caress.

e: I'd like to add that a 2 hour train journey in 2nd class costs the same as a return flight from the UK to Denmark

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 2, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Grakkus posted:

The state of British railways is loving disastrous. Some snow falls and suddenly every train is cancelled. This is poo poo that countries like bulgaria, hungary or ukraine can get right but it's not cost efficient to prepare for snow so the for profit rail companies couldnt give a gently caress.

e: I'd like to add that a 2 hour train journey in 2nd class coats the same as a return flight from the UK to Denmark
Also, by "cancelled", he means "May force you to sleep in an unheated carriage overnight": http://www.theweek.co.uk/92035/stranded-south-western-train-passengers-forced-to-sleep-in-luggage-racks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Grakkus posted:

e: I'd like to add that a 2 hour train journey in 2nd class costs the same as a return flight from the UK to Denmark

poo poo, you want bad trains, come on over to the United States of Free Markets and laugh at us.
For long-distance travel, *if* there's a train going where you want, it'll cost almost as much as flying, and take twice as long as *driving*. Don't even ask about busses.
For commuter travel, not a lot of municipalities have trains of any sort. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX has a commuter rail that runs between the two city centers, and Dallas has light rail that spiders out from Union Station, which is the hub for Amtrak, the light rail, and the commuter rail. Snow stops pretty much everything here, so I don't actually know how it affects the rail, because I haven't tried to use it during those times.

edit: actually, ask Exploding Sims about busses.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

poo poo, you want bad trains, come on over to the United States of Free Markets and laugh at us.
We can't, they've closed a lot of the airports too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
More dogs in cars:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Whenever I get all needin some lovin I hop on over to okcupid or tinder and chat a bunch of girls up. Once we get to know eachother some of em come back, some of em I can call on, but I can count on one finger the amount of girls I've been truly in love with.

Never settle, y'all. Be content with your life and yourself, and if you aren't, work on that first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

For long-distance travel, *if* there's a train going where you want, it'll cost almost as much as flying, and take twice as long as *driving*. Don't even ask about busses.
For commuter travel, not a lot of municipalities have trains of any sort. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX has a commuter rail that runs between the two city centers, and Dallas has light rail that spiders out from Union Station, which is the hub for Amtrak, the light rail, and the commuter rail. Snow stops pretty much everything here, so I don't actually know how it affects the rail, because I haven't tried to use it during those times.

edit: actually, ask Exploding Sims about busses.

Can confirm some of this, took Amtrak from Dallas to El Paso (and back). It didn't cost as much as flying (it was something like $60 each way, IIRC?), but it did take 2 days, with an overnight layover in San Antonio. It's about a 10 hour drive normally.

Amtrak basically took me through Austin to San Antonio, had an overnight layover. Walked around downtown San Antonio a bit and got a bite to eat, got back to the train, fell asleep, woke up somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't a bad trip, and I'd do Amtrak for travel again, but I'd get a sleeper next time. Sleeper definitely makes it really expensive, but it's a neat way to see the country.

DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) rail generally is fine until the snow melts, then freezes into ice; they keep the trains running 24/7 to keep the overheard power lines from icing over during snow events. TRE (Trinity Railway Express - the train that runs between Dallas and Ft Worth) is a traditional diesel train (though a nice one, with double decker cars and wifi), so is the DCTA A Train (going from the northernmost stop for DART to downtown Denton, no idea on wifi on those since I haven't ridden in years). Originally DCTA was using retired single level TRE rolling stock, but I think they've mostly replaced it with much newer stuff now.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Our new house has been going up quickly and I can't wait. I love my in-laws but looking forward to having a place to stay with more than 1 window. I think our cat is looking for something else two as he is finally being more adventurous and trying to get out of the basement when he believes the dogs are asleep.
:cattaxpicheresoon:

I believe I've done the simplest fix I've ever done for a car last night. My buddy's SO's new to her car was overheating, walked them through checking rad and topping it off (no not the overflow res like the mechanic did for you...)
Buddy works 12s 6pm to 6am, he checked it again before he left and topped it off. Took her out for a drive to check/diagnose the issue if it was continuing - it was with the temp rising, going too hot, and then crashing only to start rising again.
When we got the hood back up I looked around to see where the steam was coming from and saw that the spring style clamp I would have expected for the upper rad hose was replaced with a screw style hose clamp which was broken.
This thing has clearly been in a front end accident or severely hamfisted for something else because stuff around the area just isn't routed properly. Anyway had to replace the clamp with another screw style clamp (needs must).
All was well... true story bros.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Never settle, y'all. Be content with your life and yourself, and if you aren't, work on that first.

Truth from the mods nest.

Try and find some internal happiness, the rest follows suit. I've got problems, but, poo poo - end of the day, I go home, kick up my feet, my cat jumps in my lap, the wife and I shoot the poo poo, and life's alright. Weekends, hit the sled, put on 200+km of socket-wrenching fun - blows a lot of steam.

Just need a quad/SxS for the summer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ya'll talking about relationships and sex or what not, I'm getting divorced and my ex just thinks I should pay her over $1k a month for the rest of eternity and anything other than that is unreasonable. We split the kids 50/50 too! I am just shaking I don't know what to do. I'm 40 and self-employed what if I get sick?

Just because I make X amount in sales a month does not mean that is what I make. I don't know what to do, very scared. Just so many threats.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

everdave posted:

Ya'll talking about relationships and sex or what not, I'm getting divorced and my ex just thinks I should pay her over $1k a month for the rest of eternity and anything other than that is unreasonable. We split the kids 50/50 too! I am just shaking I don't know what to do. I'm 40 and self-employed what if I get sick?

Just because I make X amount in sales a month does not mean that is what I make. I don't know what to do, very scared. Just so many threats.

Lawyer?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Man, poo poo like this is always :smith:. Hope you can work out a solution to it.

Happy enough being single, frankly.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

Document it and let your lawyer or the judge know. Make sure you document when she drops the kids off as well. I remember you mentioned she drops them off days ahead of time on occasion. That will play into your favor. Just be the better person, refrain from drinking/drugs, and don’t call names etc. Its all you can do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
1k a month for childcare expenses? or alimony?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

1k a month for childcare expenses? or alimony?

Alimony. She wants it settled and we both have good lawyers, I meet with mine Thursday again. I am just scared of the unknown and her unreasonable demands.

Yes I end up with kids more than 50% of the time but I am not complaining about that. I mean her calling me and saying her family thinks I am not paying enough as it is now! Insane. She doesn't have a job and thinks she can just bake cakes and clean a few friends houses and then me pay all of her living expenses for the next 15+ years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man I'm not exactly a sex-haver (shocking I know) and I get bummed about it sometimes, but then I remember how those incel types are and that they exist and it makes me feel a lot better about myself. Like at least my head is screwed on straight enough to recognize that the problem is me, and not some gender-wide conspiracy for the drat wimmen to oppress all the nice guys.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Parents have been divorced more times than I can count, so I thought I'd never get married because marriage and relationships were not something I saw as a good thing as a youngster. I realized that I don't have to grow up to be like my parents but it still it makes me weary because divorces suck. I've been married for just a couple years now and can't imagine life without a partner. It's weird, we don't have the same interests and hobbies but still have a ton in common.

I still don't have sex because the 6 month old taking up every waking minute, though. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

Alimony. She wants it settled and we both have good lawyers, I meet with mine Thursday again. I am just scared of the unknown and her unreasonable demands.

Yes I end up with kids more than 50% of the time but I am not complaining about that. I mean her calling me and saying her family thinks I am not paying enough as it is now! Insane. She doesn't have a job and thinks she can just bake cakes and clean a few friends houses and then me pay all of her living expenses for the next 15+ years.

The one advantage of her seeking more on the alimony side, and less on the child support side (if that's what she's doing) is that you can get the alimony dropped if she remarried. Possibly get it reduced or dropped if she shacks up with a dude and you PI it.

If you haven't gotten an attorney this is absolutely where an experienced one pays off. Find out who's the biggest divorce shark in your area and retain them before she does.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Larrymer posted:

I still don't have sex because the 6 month old taking up every waking minute, though. :v:

this will never improve/change. sorry.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Relationships are tough and need work, and even if both people put in the effort sometimes it just doesn't work out because people change over time anyway. I have been with my wife for 16 years and 2 kids now and cherish what we have, but its scary how much of that is down to luck, circumstance and suffering than any kind of romantic endeavours.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I got lucky, and my first college girlfriend is now my wife. We've been living together for over 17 years, and I turn 35 in a few days. We're incredibly compatible in the ways that matter, and everything else just falls into place.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

The one advantage of her seeking more on the alimony side, and less on the child support side (if that's what she's doing) is that you can get the alimony dropped if she remarried. Possibly get it reduced or dropped if she shacks up with a dude and you PI it.

If you haven't gotten an attorney this is absolutely where an experienced one pays off. Find out who's the biggest divorce shark in your area and retain them before she does.

We pretty much have the two best lawyers in town when it comes to this, and the lawyers are friends. I have no complaints so far with my lawyer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's not for child support, what on earth is it you're meant to be giving her money for?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Alimony?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because if so, I return to a very blunt why?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

That's an American term, it doesn't actually mean anything to me. Is it like maintenance, basically paying living expenses after divorce?

Because it is a messed up system where the former spouse expects to be "paid" for being married, and in my case she feels that I should have to pay at least enough to house, clothe and feed her for the rest of her life. And wants the new Toyota free and clear. And then also wants to drive by my house multiple times a day to see what I am doing (which is nothing, there was no infidelity or anything).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Lawyer up. Then shut up. Make no statements positive or negative regarding your (ex)wife to anyone, not even the dog.

My marriage ended, all things considered, quite easily. But have heard horror stories from friends that got taken to the cleaners for any number of reasons. So much so, that I wouldn't meet with her unless a lawyer is present.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 2, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Disagree - I mean it's still a pressure on things but when they're older and have a more predictable sleep schedule, you can work around it.

InitialDave posted:

In the best-case scenario, it makes it possible for someone to get out of an abusive situation where for any number of reasons, they are fully financially dependent upon the abuser. Between our social safety nets being nonexistent and a system set up around old ideas of single-income households, it would effectively put some people into choosing to stay in a bad relationship, or choosing to be homeless.

Of course, like most institutions in this country, it gets abused and manipulated on a regular basis.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

He said he's already lawyered up, but so is she.

The idea behind alimony is traditionally the wife chose to raise the kids and stay home, so she gave up a chance at a career, and if the husband leaves her when she's 50, she's screwed. That still holds true in some situations, but now it seems like it's horribly abused. I worked with a guy who made a shitload of money as a private consultant in the oil industry, his wife left him for his (former) best friend, got an incredible amount of alimony, and now she and the best friend live together, don't work, and just plan on not getting married so the money keeps coming in. Maybe there's something he can do to change that in the future, but it's also California so we have wacky laws.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

Alimony is a hold over from when after women got married, they stopped working.
It can still make sense in cases where on partner stopped working to raise children for a long period of time, because it can be really hard to enter the job market in that situation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm. I guess I can sort of see it as having some validity in certain scenarios, it does sound largely like something that's just ripe for abuse.

I can understand it as part of an asset split on divorce, so rather than sell a house, whoever is still living it pays out to the other an amount up to X, that sort of thing. But assuming that's all been settled in a reasonably fair manner (which to my mind would be where you can address disparities in who worked vs who looked after the home front), anything beyond that seems ridiculous.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

Disagree - I mean it's still a pressure on things but when they're older and have a more predictable sleep schedule, you can work around it.

This was largely sarcastic, but text and tone/sarcasm detection via text on the internet, blah blah blah and here we are. :)

Having said that, the past week has been horrible. sickness doesn't help, but my 5yo is not sleeping much better than the 9mo (aka barely at all), so after kids go to bed it's clean up for an hour, then she passes out while I try to stay awake and manage the wakeups so we can both take turns over night. It's a really rough spot for us right now, and our kids are amazing and WILL grow out of it. Just trying to be patient. :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

We can't, they've closed a lot of the airports too.

That genuinely made me laugh.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Can confirm. Child is 16 and sex is still sporadic. Also, now we’re old(er).

InitialDave posted:

Hmm. I guess I can sort of see it as having some validity in certain scenarios, it does sound largely like something that's just ripe for abuse.

I can understand it as part of an asset split on divorce, so rather than sell a house, whoever is still living it pays out to the other an amount up to X, that sort of thing. But assuming that's all been settled in a reasonably fair manner (which to my mind would be where you can address disparities in who worked vs who looked after the home front), anything beyond that seems ridiculous.

Alimony is bullshit in modern society. She can get a job, just like everyone else. Especially when she won’t be sole support of the kids.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I had to look up the meaning of the word alimony too. What a stupid concept.
I understand splitting the current household assets if you divorce and I understand ongoing child maintenance/support but “alimony” is stupid.

I hope that lawyer does good stuff for you Everdave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Our child is 16 and sex with my wife is still sporadic.
I'm just gonna dive in with an edit there before you get yourself put on a list.

• Locked thread