Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Found out we lost my grandmother this morning. Glad I got to visit her a few weeks ago at least. Mid 90s and bedridden for years and about 65 pounds; so at least not unexpected.

Enourmo posted:

At the end of the day I'm a Mechanical Engineering major. Rockets are what I've ended up doing at school, but there's no shortage of jobs for me overall. My only hangup is not wanting to work in defense, but even on that I've gotten to the point of "if you pay me I don't give a gently caress, whatever"
Ah, well that makes a lot more sense. MEs are always needed. I started as an ME major, but calc and physics both kicked my rear end so oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

yeah funny thing, i'm aware of that and it's causing me a major crisis of self doubt right as i'm on the cusp of graduating

at least at a job I'll be getting paid to deal with the bullshit

I've done engineering in the navy and now as a civilian. You get used to it.

But the more you buck and fight it that it has to be EXACTLY how you want, or how you think, the harder poo poo is. poo poo sucks but you just roll with it, or find another career.

But every career is gonna have the exact same poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So, the correct response to "here's your raise, it's lower than you expected even though you did great this year because you're near the top of your pay window, no I can't tell you what that is, your only chance of a significant raise is your uninterested boss supporting you in your next 3 annual appraisals to a level you haven't seen in the 10 years you've been with us" is to get the CV up to date, right? I'm a little short on fucks to give right now, truth be told.

E: guess what discipline I'm in Enourmo?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So, the correct response to "here's your raise, it's lower than you expected even though you did great this year because you're near the top of your pay window, no I can't tell you what that is, your only chance of a significant raise is your uninterested boss supporting you in your next 3 annual appraisals to a level you haven't seen in the 10 years you've been with us" is to get the CV up to date, right? I'm a little short on fucks to give right now, truth be told.

This sounds awfully familiar...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

loving christ this rocket was gonna be so cool but department fuckups, manufacturing issues, and straight-up false promises have delayed us to the point that I'll be shocked if we get off the launch pad.

I'm sick of school, sick of working with dipshits, sick of having to back up and re-tool every couple weeks.

Hybrids aren't even loving worth it at this small a scale, just use a solid rocket.

Guess what, even if you were a software engineer you'd get to deal with the exact same poo poo. Same in construction which I used to be in. It's because of people, and there are very few people in the world high enough on the ladder to not have to deal with what other people think should be done. Sorry, that's just life I do believe.

As has been pointed out though, the good thing is you get paid for it once you are in the 'real world'.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/29/597991227/why-300-000-volkswagens-are-being-stored-in-these-massive-auto-boneyards

What are the chances that VW/Audi would actually try to recertify and resell these diesels? If so, it'd have to be a fire sale price and I would be trying to jump on one or two.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Making hot cross buns with candied fruit and peel should be a crime. Currants and raisins, god dammit! :argh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Getting paid to stand around with your thumb up your arse while u wait for some other dipshit to do his job correctly is one of the best parts of engineering

Just make sure you're not the dipshit.

Also, counterpoint: academics are a special and unique sort of bullshit. You'll get some of it in the real world, but there things like money and continued business are on the line, so there is a bit more pressure to not be an idiot.

FWIW, I wish I'd have gone ME rather than dicking around with AE, EE, CSE, ultimately not getting a degree, and ending up in IT hell.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is also a truism in IT. The only way to get a significant raise is to change jobs, whether it be with another company or a sideways move.

Seminal Flu posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/29/597991227/why-300-000-volkswagens-are-being-stored-in-these-massive-auto-boneyards

What are the chances that VW/Audi would actually try to recertify and resell these diesels? If so, it'd have to be a fire sale price and I would be trying to jump on one or two.

Well, that article says that it basically depends on the EPA approving/recertifying emissions modifications, so who knows. I guess if they remove the emissions defeat code and prove that they've done so, there shouldn't be a reason they can resell them. They may just have to part them, or export them to somewhere that doesn't give a poo poo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

This is also a truism in IT. The only way to get a significant raise is to change jobs, whether it be with another company or a sideways move.

This is pretty much all sectors. If you didn't enter the workforce before the early to mid 90s, wages have been flat for the past 25 years.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Seminal Flu posted:

The 2015s were able to be certified to be sold with some sort of undisclosed fix, so it may be possible. They're sitting around the same price as a similarly equipped gas model, so not quite fire sale price but the diesel premium is certainly gone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They are specifically not allowed to dump the cars into another country without fixing the emissions problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

They are specifically not allowed to dump the cars into another country without fixing the emissions problem.

Somebody linked how expensive it would be per car to do the fix a while back and it was pretty nuts. I expect they'll render them inoperative (all cash for clunkers) and junk them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hansolio posted:

The 2015s were able to be certified to be sold with some sort of undisclosed fix, so it may be possible. They're sitting around the same price as a similarly equipped gas model, so not quite fire sale price but the diesel premium is certainly gone.

If a couple hundred thousand of them come on the market, that price point will not come close to holding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I assumed they'd ship them to a country less concerned with emissions stuff and offload them there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's only one country in the world that's not in the Paris Climate Accord (it's the USA), so I don't know where you're going to find this mystical location.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I assumed they'd ship them to a country less concerned with emissions stuff and offload them there.

except that they're specifically banned from doing so

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's only one country in the world that's not in the Paris Climate Accord (it's the USA), so I don't know where you're going to find this mystical location.

:911: Never has this been more appropriate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I ordered a countertop dishwasher using ebay's 20% off code, and it comes in on Monday or Tuesday.

I, just, like, don't want to do the dishes by hand anymore. I'm sitting here wondering if I can survive until then without doing them. I hate manually washing dishes - it reminds me of a specific time growing up that I'd rather forget.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Depressing.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I ordered a countertop dishwasher using ebay's 20% off code, and it comes in on Monday or Tuesday.

I, just, like, don't want to do the dishes by hand anymore. I'm sitting here wondering if I can survive until then without doing them. I hate manually washing dishes - it reminds me of a specific time growing up that I'd rather forget.

I feel the same about gardening.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gardening is relaxing to me, besides the back breaking part of it sometimes. My back yard started out as a dirt wasteland and now it's a tropical oasis and I did it all myself. It's pretty gratifying actually.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It makes me irrationally annoyed when I'm trying to have a professional conversation with a client, and they end every sentence with "sir".

"I don't want to do it that way for x reason sir."
"We just don't have that kind of funding sir."
"I just don't understand why you say that sir."

Now, "Yessir" I'm ok with. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryrobots posted:

It makes me irrationally annoyed when I'm trying to have a professional conversation with a client, and they end every sentence with "sir".

I have a reflex of saying sir and ma'am and oh god does it piss women off.

Also, is it still hoarding when the poo poo you stock like comes in handy? So many electrical fittings and bolts that I've now used...

Also snapped a wheel stud in half so now I get to do that, too, because I'm shockingly more comfortable with a 5 lug wheel running 4 lugs than a 4 lug wheel with 3.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

We used to have a saying when I was in the military....Don't call me sir, I work for a living :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think it bother me because the more it gets repeated, the more sarcastic it sounds.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Seminal Flu posted:

They will get dumped into a foreign market or recycled if shipping is too expensive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

They will get dumped into a foreign market or recycled if shipping is too expensive.

Can you read the posts prior?

BraveUlysses posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
After driving this Civic in anger I now feel like I wasted the last 15 years of my life never owning one.

Jesus loving christ this thing is FUN. Any car that has me laughing like a goddamn maniac before I'm in 3rd gear or breaking the speed limit is a win, but pulling out of a corner in 2nd at 6k with poo poo rear end tires squealing and the car still begging for more like a loving puppy...

I wanted a beater, and now I want an LSD and R comps.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

all fwd compacts are more fun than they have any right to be

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wait until you're tripoding and getting lift off oversteer in a stock fiesta st. Small fwd hot hatches are awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

After driving this Civic in anger I now feel like I wasted the last 15 years of my life never owning one.

Jesus loving christ this thing is FUN. Any car that has me laughing like a goddamn maniac before I'm in 3rd gear or breaking the speed limit is a win, but pulling out of a corner in 2nd at 6k with poo poo rear end tires squealing and the car still begging for more like a loving puppy...

I really didn't "get it" until I got mine. There's just something about them - so great.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't stop watching Forensic Files. Discovered there was a SA thread about it and then learned that it was on Netflix.

I fall asleep to Forensic Files every night now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I can't stop watching Forensic Files. Discovered there was a SA thread about it and then learned that it was on Netflix.

I fall asleep to Forensic Files every night now.

I blame you for making me watch it. There are so many episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're going to a party Saturday and I asked if there would be food and the host said "Yeah we'll probably get some Pahppy Jays."

Now I don't want to be friends with him.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Rhyno posted:

We're going to a party Saturday and I asked if there would be food and the host said "Yeah we'll probably get some Pahppy Jays."

Now I don't want to be friends with him.

Good call.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

iwentdoodie posted:

Same but FR-S/BRZ/GT86

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Not many in not red/white/some shade of gray...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

One of the local news sites puts an adblocker warning replacing their videos that previously would have autoplayed at 300% volume.

They sure showed me :allears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

One of the local news sites puts an adblocker warning replacing their videos that previously would have autoplayed at 300% volume.

They sure showed me :allears:

Open a new chrome tab and go to:

chrome:flags/#autoplay-policy

And change it to "require user input."

Solves maybe 90% of autoplaying video problems, even on CNN.com.

Actually, since I'm doing tips, as posted in Bajaha's thread:

On ebay, adding "-bs" to your search removes all of the "suggested" results. Anything that they THINK matches any search parameter.

If you search for "countertop dishwasher white" you'll get results where the title is "INNOVA DISH WASHER" and "Color: White" is part of the description. If you search "countertop dishwasher white -bs" the title HAS TO HAVE all of those words, exactly. It won't give you results for "counter top" or "dish washer" or anything without the word "white" in it.

This also removes all "fits: <whatever car make and year their search algorithm thinks you're searching for>" results. Essentially, "-bs" makes it a true title-only search with no tomfoolery.

Been a trick since like 2003, and it's good.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 30, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

I more meant they could fix them, but fix them to a less demanding standard for a given export market, not necessarily try to palm them off as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really didn't "get it" until I got mine. There's just something about them - so great.

I still loathe everything associated with them as a vehicle, but agreed. I cannot wait to take this thing out and just flog it.

Maybe I'll look for a rallycross....

• Locked thread