Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So if your car is having recall work done (takata air bag) and its going to take more than a day you should get a loaner right? The dealership is telling me they will give me a ride home and then pick me up, I live across town so I'm like gently caress that.

What? Wow, the local Nissan dealership here offered to put me in a rental for 6 months until they got the parts in and I didn't even buy the car from them. I declined and both times I was in for airbag recall work they offered me use of a loaner for the hour or so it took them to do the work.

E: Can I have a couple minutes to work out my tax picture?
Egon was not really happy about doing this:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

California is spectacular. But the people ruin it.

Both in mentality and in quantity. The sheer volume of traffic / lines / demand for *everything* in the Los Angeles area is maddening.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Enourmo posted:

So humidity makes both hot and cold days worse? I wonder if there's objectively a temperature at which the effect is neutral.

Yes. When it's cold, humidity increases the rate of heat transfer from your body to the air. When it's hot the added moisture slows down the evaporation of your sweat. There's a point where with the temp and humidity high enough your body is incapable of cooling itself and we are starting to approach that in some parts of the world sometimes, so that's probably not good.

People do adapt to their local climate, so when you are used to 70+ degrees every day, yes, 45 is really cold. A few year ago I was in AZ during feb and had my bike. was out for a ride one day, think it was in the high 50s, and about all I had extra were long sleeves on. Ran into some other guy, he's all bundled up and first thing he says to me is "aren't you cold?"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just learned of this at the local hobby shop and it's loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43Yy-TKkQs

Getting this as soon as I sell one of my other RC trucks :v:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

nm posted:

Listen to this man
Probably stay away from skid row though.

I am headed to LA for a friends wedding in a few weeks. I Just looked at the map for the venue and realized it is ~4 blocks from skid row according to google maps. I am sure it will be awesome, its some trendy art space and one of our friends getting married is a drag queen. My wife is super pissed she has to go to a gay drag wedding sober.

We are actually taking the chance to turn the trip into a mini babymoon roadtrip. Flying into SF to visit some friends(possible stop by my office there to expense part of the trip), drive down to Santa Cruz for a couple days, drive to LA for the wedding, then drive to Phoenix to visit my grandmother for a couple days. If I can find something, I might pick up a GX470 on the trip, in which case I would drop my wife at the airport in Phoenix to fly home and I would drive back to Seattle.

Can anyone comment on how terrible new Malibu's are? Even with a discount code, the rental price almost triples when going from a "full size" to a "premium" car, but anything up to a full size is the same price. I just have to hope they don't stick me in the most beat to poo poo car they have on hand, since I will be picking it up at SFO and dropping it off in Phoenix.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I just learned of this at the local hobby shop and it's loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43Yy-TKkQs

Getting this as soon as I sell one of my other RC trucks :v:

Oh my sweet summer child head on over to the RC thread here in our fine sub-forum for RC chat. The Slash is neat and all and the OBA is cool - at first but you will turn it off because it gets obnoxious.

Or you could get a real engine affixed that makes real noises. Like this 65cc reed cased two stroke monster (on the left) that we stuff into 1/5 scales:

the company that puts this together just announced a 90cc variant this weekend that reaches 17,000 RPM (under load). It will destroy all of the drivetrains.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

slurry_curry posted:

Can anyone comment on how terrible new Malibu's are? Even with a discount code, the rental price almost triples when going from a "full size" to a "premium" car, but anything up to a full size is the same price. I just have to hope they don't stick me in the most beat to poo poo car they have on hand, since I will be picking it up at SFO and dropping it off in Phoenix.

They're decent and roomy in the back seat for full sized adults. If you get the 1.5L it's a bit under powered IMO but totally fine for rental duty and daily driving.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys Disneyland is fun!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

You guys Disneyland is fun!
Share your drugs please
I'll admit it can be.

I have a rental Mistubishi Outlander (non-sport).
I can't believe this is a car sold in yol 2018. It is so bad inside and I own a 13 year old subaru and my first car was a 1992 toyota camry base model.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

nm posted:

Share your drugs please
I'll admit it can be.

I can't believe this is a car sold in yol 2018. It is so bad inside and I own a 13 year old subaru and my first car was a 1992 toyota camry base model.

I want the PHEV outlander to not suck, but the normal ones at the autoshow last year were really bad, so I assume they will be the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

Share your drugs please
I'll admit it can be.

Neither of us have ever been here before so we're having a blast!

Waiting for food sucks!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh my sweet summer child head on over to the RC thread here in our fine sub-forum for RC chat. The Slash is neat and all and the OBA is cool - at first but you will turn it off because it gets obnoxious.

Or you could get a real engine affixed that makes real noises. Like this 65cc reed cased two stroke monster (on the left) that we stuff into 1/5 scales:

the company that puts this together just announced a 90cc variant this weekend that reaches 17,000 RPM (under load). It will destroy all of the drivetrains.

Please get in to an even more expensive hobby and sell me a 1/5 truck cheap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blindjoe posted:

I want the PHEV outlander to not suck, but the normal ones at the autoshow last year were really bad, so I assume they will be the same.

The interior is so bad.
The steering is so vague.
It hates cross winds. Like way worse than my mazda with a bike on the roof. It is windy today, but not THAT windy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gonna apply for the student loan next month.

It's been two years since 630, and I just had the second biggest jump:

Hnnnng

Not a brag. It's been a lot of putting most of the spare funds towards credit card or loan debt. I have absolutely zero late payments or charge-offs (I have literally never been late on a payment since turning 18). The score was so low due to utilization. The biggest jump was when I got that $8k when I sold the bus and simultaneously paid off a $3500 credit card and $2000 of Paypal Credit. Went from like 680 to 740 in one month.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The OBA would be more for my son he'll love it.....But yeah I'm sure I'll get sick of it after awhile :v:

The Stampede I got him is too high, it constantly flips over when he tries to race my Rustler so he wants a Slash so he can at least compete with me through the turns.

No interest in getting into nitro, electric is just fine and affordable so far :)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The OBA would be more for my son he'll love it.....But yeah I'm sure I'll get sick of it after awhile :v:

The Stampede I got him is too high, it constantly flips over when he tries to race my Rustler so he wants a Slash so he can at least compete with me through the turns.

No interest in getting into nitro, electric is just fine and affordable so far :)

Those aren't Nitro, they're legit two stroke gas engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD7It8GHjgM

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

I am headed to LA for a friends wedding in a few weeks. I Just looked at the map for the venue and realized it is ~4 blocks from skid row according to google maps. I am sure it will be awesome, its some trendy art space and one of our friends getting married is a drag queen. My wife is super pissed she has to go to a gay drag wedding sober.

Downtown LA is weird in that you'd expect it to be like going to a downtown of another major city, but until roughly 10 years no one really lived there, just worked there. It's not that many blocks from incredibly expensive office buildings to skid row, but now there are a lot of good breweries and places to eat that are usually located in crappier areas. I remember being surprised the Starbucks I passed daily during the work week was closed on weekends back in 2008, and DTLA only got a proper grocery store sometime around 2007 to 2010 (ignoring the ones that were there in the 50s or however long ago). Now a lot more people live there and you'll find plenty of things to do on the weekend, but it's not like going to midtown in New York.

If you're in the ghetto and like beer, check out Mumford Brewing. It's located in the heart of Skid Rowkyo (Little Tokyo / Skid Row intersection), to the point that a lot of the local parking spots are going be taken by tents and personal items spilling out into the street, but it's a great brewery and a cool space. You can order food from the bar next door and they'll deliver, and you can be a total goon and get the Fat Albert burger (Provolone, apple wood smoked bacon, maple syrup with a glazed doughnut bun). I haven't actually tried that one, but there a lot of other interesting choices.

Also, check out Grand Central Market for food, and MOCA if you like contemporary art (it's only ok as far as modern art goes). You could try to wait in line to get into The Broad, but you may be waiting for a long time on the weekend.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Theres some girl I met a month ago and I call her MomJeans because she was wearing mom jeans and your username makes me laugh because I remember MomJeans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

Being in FL is fun when it gets below 65 or so.
Everyone bundles up like it's a blizzard.

Meanwhile in the Midwest I wore shorts yesterday because it got to 50.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Or you could go to MOMA and drop a leaf on the floor and watch people gather round for the new exhibit that obviously just popped up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I could see Disneyland getting old if you lived close enough to go more than once a year but man, i had a great time and I don't even like Disney or theme parks in general.

Thanks to some PM advice we hit the popular stuff early and knocked out the older rides as the day went on. Even some of those older ones whipped my butt.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was gonna longpost this but then decided not to.

My reasons for moving to and living where I do have decided to divest themselves of the area and move somewhere a couple hours away. I'm mad. I'm not mad at them for it, I'm mad at myself for ever having moved up here in the first place. I'm mad at myself for buying this house, getting my lovely as gently caress job, and doing it for reasons other than self-benefit. I'm mad that I've squandered several more years of my life with this bullshit.

I'm now actively job hunting in an area I don't really want to live in either and considering an up to 3 hour commute just so that I can eventually get out of this shithole city.

I wonder what the look on my boss' face is gonna be when on Friday night I ask him if I can use him as a reference.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Had my financial aid appointment yesterday. The short of it: if I quit work, I get 7-14k in grants. If I continue working, most likely no grants.

America :911:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I say quit and take the grants, that way you can see how the workload is without getting overwhelmed. Working while schooling sucks in general. Unless you make way more than 7-14k and it'll put you in the starving student category.

When I went back to school I was worried it was going to kick my rear end, so I planned on not working. Turned out that I was even better at school as an adult so after 6 months I went back to work part time to pay bills.

Different topic: Anyone in here experienced with buying a time-share property? This would be a 4 week/yr ownership of a specific house, not a big resort type thing. I'm in the honeymoon phase of it seeming like a great idea so I'm looking for a reality smack. Taxes are fine but the HOA dues appear to be horrendous, and I don't know how the time is scheduled. I guess I should call the realtor and talk myself out of it. Also it appears hard to sell, the current owners paid $47k for this share a few years ago according to zillow, and it's been on the market for over a year and is now $23k after 2 price drops. I can easily afford that and we can rent it out if we don't use it all 4 weeks, but I'm sure we would.

Background: my family has rented the same beach house at new year's for the last 25 years but the owners are retiring so it's no longer available (they told us as we left this year that it was the last time). We also rent a different house for a week every summer, and try to get the same one every time. But it's never available on holidays. We like tradition and going to the same place over and over so the idea of having a place that's ours is appealing.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 6, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Had my financial aid appointment yesterday. The short of it: if I quit work, I get 7-14k in grants. If I continue working, most likely no grants.

America :911:

Preach it, brother.
Sadly, that's nowhere near enough to make up for not working, even back in college when I was making a lot less. Even now, $7.50 full time is almost $16K/year. And if you quit working to use grants to pay for school, how do you pay rent and eat? It's all hosed up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

Preach it, brother.
Sadly, that's nowhere near enough to make up for not working, even back in college when I was making a lot less. Even now, $7.50 full time is almost $16K/year. And if you quit working to use grants to pay for school, how do you pay rent and eat? It's all hosed up.

Yeah we need a major mental shift in this country, college should be public funded, with a food and housing stipend. Educated population makes the entire country better, and it even makes rich people richer.

Too bad half the country believes "skool makes libruls" and actively vote to hinder and dismantle what we have now, never mind incorporating new changes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Fermented Tinal posted:

My reasons for moving to and living where I do have decided to divest themselves of the area and move somewhere a couple hours away. I'm mad. I'm not mad at them for it, I'm mad at myself for ever having moved up here in the first place. I'm mad at myself for buying this house, getting my lovely as gently caress job, and doing it for reasons other than self-benefit. I'm mad that I've squandered several more years of my life with this bullshit.

I'm now actively job hunting in an area I don't really want to live in either and considering an up to 3 hour commute just so that I can eventually get out of this shithole city.

I wonder what the look on my boss' face is gonna be when on Friday night I ask him if I can use him as a reference.

Your post about how much Dupont schedule sucked made me reconsider applying to a couple different jobs. I hope you find something that works out for you. Also, I had a 150 mile 2.5 hour round trip commute, that got expensive in anything other than a prius. Not recommended.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

LloydDobler posted:

Different topic: Anyone in here experienced with buying a time-share property? This would be a 4 week/yr ownership of a specific house, not a big resort type thing. I'm in the honeymoon phase of it seeming like a great idea so I'm looking for a reality smack. Taxes are fine but the HOA dues appear to be horrendous, and I don't know how the time is scheduled. I guess I should call the realtor and talk myself out of it. Also it appears hard to sell, the current owners paid $47k for this share a few years ago according to zillow, and it's been on the market for over a year and is now $23k after 2 price drops. I can easily afford that and we can rent it out if we don't use it all 4 weeks, but I'm sure we would.

Christ no.

The fact that they've lost $24k (and counting) in two years should be a good indication that it's a bad investment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42909256

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

LloydDobler posted:

Background: my family has rented the same beach house at new year's for the last 25 years but the owners are retiring so it's no longer available (they told us as we left this year that it was the last time). We also rent a different house for a week every summer, and try to get the same one every time. But it's never available on holidays. We like tradition and going to the same place over and over so the idea of having a place that's ours is appealing.

I have a one week share of an apartment on Cape Cod in September. It cost $7k to buy and I put it into the RCI system so I can trade it for points that I use to get accomodation pretty much all over the world. I usually trade my one week up to 2-3 weeks elsewhere in the US by taking last minute deals that pop up so that resorts can fill any empty rooms they have. This works since I don't have kids and it is just the wife and I, not so much if you need to be more organised. Right now it costs $400 a year in maintenance fees and about $90 a year for RCI so lets call it a round $500 a year which gets me 2-3 weeks in high end resorts per year. I still have to get flights and all that but it works out well as long as you are willing to take a risk and see what is available on short notice.

As for selling the thing I doubt we would be able to really since there always seems to be people just giving the share up and the resort then resells it. The other scam they run is they will try to "upgrade" you into a travellers club program or some other poo poo where instead of owning a share of a physical thing you just pay money into joining the club and annual fees. Of course this means they can now resell your share to someone else and then 12 months later pull the same thing with them over and over, which I called them out on and they haven't bothered me with it since.

TL;DR

Pros - if you are willing to put some effort in you can get awesome deals and have 2-3 weeks away a year in nice resorts for the cost of 2-3 nights in a hotel in most popular cities and you are not forced into going to the same place year after year,

Cons - the people who run these things are high pressure salesmen of the worst kind and will try to upsell you into their bullshit other products after getting you in with a timeshare and you need to tell them to feck off 4-5 times a year when they invite you to a owners meeting or some other BS where they promise they won't try to sell you anything and then will try to sell you something. You will never be able to sell the thing so it really is a long term thing that you need to commit to using otherwise you are funding people like me to go on holiday. Never buy a share on finance since they will get you a loan for 25% since they want to be certain everyone is approved of course and if you try to pay it off early they will be obstructive to the point of not wanting to take your money as they want the interest to keep going for the 5-10 years the loan is due to go.

If you can handle the poo poo from sales people and have the money to spend then it works otherwise run away as fast as you can.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Preach it, brother.

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we need a major mental shift in this country, college should be public funded, with a food and housing stipend. Educated population makes the entire country better, and it even makes rich people richer.

Too bad half the country believes "skool makes libruls" and actively vote to hinder and dismantle what we have now, never mind incorporating new changes.

Yeah, I'm going to end up quitting and taking the grants. I'll get 650/month from the VA (one deployment - 50% GI bill coverage), and the grants will make up for the difference between that and rent/bills. Unfortunately I"ll still need to take out student loans, but it reduces my student loan load from 30k to 20k or less.

The most I'd be able to work is 3 days/month (4 week period), which is $500/month after 11% retirement contribution, and $360 after taxes. That's around $9k/year, which is more than the 7k/year in estimated grants. However, I can consider that as a $7k reduction in student loans, which would equal to about $1800 in deferred interest (making it close to the 9k), plus the free weekends for studying. Classes are 5 days a week.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

Where abouts are you at again, and what field are you in?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah, I'm going to end up quitting and taking the grants. I'll get 650/month from the VA (one deployment - 50% GI bill coverage), and the grants will make up for the difference between that and rent/bills. Unfortunately I"ll still need to take out student loans, but it reduces my student loan load from 30k to 20k or less.

The most I'd be able to work is 3 days/month (4 week period), which is $500/month after 11% retirement contribution, and $360 after taxes. That's around $9k/year, which is more than the 7k/year in estimated grants. However, I can consider that as a $7k reduction in student loans, which would equal to about $1800 in deferred interest (making it close to the 9k), plus the free weekends for studying. Classes are 5 days a week.

That sounds like the smart move.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Where abouts are you at again, and what field are you in?

Owen Sound, which is everything the elephant's rear end in a top hat the locals claim it to be (apparently on old maps of Canada if you rotated them and looked at Ontario you'd see an elephant and its rear end in a top hat is Owen Sound).

At present I work in the print industry as a finishing assistant in the bindery of a print facility. I have two backup roles that put me on a forklift. It's shift work, and Dupont 12 hour nightmare rotation. Second largest employer in the city and if you ever wanted to know what it's like to see a bunch of boomers act like they're still in highschool stop on by.

I used to work in an office, designing analog and digital IC photomasks. I have experience with perl, tcl/tk, Tanner L-edit, Cadence, Hercules, and long list of things that doesn't include a degree and thusly negates the point of most of the list since I'll never get a job again as a physical designer without a degree. I'm hunting for jr dev positions in the $17/h range in the GTA, more would be better to offset gasoline. Something hand-holdy until I pick up whatever it is the cool kids do in software these days. As for the commute, it's very roughly on par with a commute I used to do from Kitchener to Toronto for the physical design gig. What's funny to me, is that commute was done in a '07 Nissan Versa hatchback, though that one was blue and had an automatic and mine is silver and has a stick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Take the grants and just find a way to earn some cash on the side when you have some free time

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BraveUlysses posted:

Take the grants and just find a way to earn some cash on the side when you have some free time

Are you suggesting he becomes a camwhore?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Theres some girl I met a month ago and I call her MomJeans because she was wearing mom jeans and your username makes me laugh because I remember MomJeans.

Mom jeans are huge in all the hipster areas in LA, I wonder if that trend has spread across the country.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

We moved from Florida to western New York for a job to manage a campground, it all went horribly wrong and I completely regretted doing it within the first week of being there. Short story is we were dumb and didn't get anything in writing from the owners and took them for their word. We tried to make the best of it and lasted two seasons before we had it out with the owners and told them to gently caress off. Luckily, we rented our house in FL instead of selling it, so when the lease was up for the tenants we kicked them out and moved back. It was a complete waste of time and money (we went broke because of it) but i guess it was a valuable experience, or at least that's what i tell myself.

I feel for you man, hope you figure things out and get to where you wanna be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Are you suggesting he becomes a camwhore?

If the nipple pasties fit...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Man, red delicious apples are the poo poo tier of apples. I usually buy honeycrisp but they were out at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Larrymer posted:

Man, red delicious apples are the poo poo tier of apples. I usually buy honeycrisp but they were out at the store.

Wisdom! After switching to honey crisp apples we don't even bother buying anything else. They just don't get eaten. Costco has great prices and selection on Honey Crisps for organic and Sprouts also regularly has the organics on sale.

• Locked thread