Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp, it's official, I'm moving to (a suburb of) Austin in August. :stare:

Rent isn't much more than what I'm currently paying, for a much nicer/much newer place. A bit smaller, but includes a microwave, full size w/d, etc. And only a mile outside of Austin itself. Much of what I currently own will get sold before I move; about all I'll be taking is bedding, clothing, computer, and home theater receiver + speakers. Kitchen stuff too, since I have some really nice dishes, nice knives, etc.

What I'm really looking forward to: H-E-B. Also easy access to Kerbey Lane Cafe, their queso is loving awesome.

Scared shitless, but it'll be nice to be able to ditch just about everything and move using only my car and a trailer, or maybe the smallest box truck (one way; have gf drive me back to get my car, get a hotel for the night, bring car down). I have a couple of pieces of furniture that I really want to keep (mid century modern dresser and end tables, 00s lamps that go well with them... don't care about any other furniture). If the box truck winds up being spendy, I have a good friend who loves MCM stuff who would probably take the furniture off my hands (and even if she doesn't, this is genuine 50s/60s stuff that's built well, so it shouldn't be hard to move on the local MCM facebook sale groups).
Good luck! We'll miss you!

ExplodingSims posted:

So, if anyone cares, I got the job I posted about in the last thread. I'm officially an INDUSTRIAL refrigeration tech now!
I fly out to their training place in about 2 weeks for a 3 week session. So this should be fun.

Been spending all day today doing all their training videos and tests. This is going to be an interesting experience based on what I've seen in the videos so far.

Right on, dude! Good luck!

Enourmo posted:

Garts, hope it works out long term.

Here, have 2 cats, I can afford to pay for others because we live in a society god DAMMIT

E: Also if we're still doing the Total Lifetime Horsepower thing:

02 Taurus - 200
03 MSP - 170
91 S10 Blazer - 160
07 CVPI - 250

Grand total: 780, average: 195

Also, really, P71? 5 years newer and 50% more displacement, but only 25% more power than the Taurus? That SOHC motor really was a dog, huh?

Eh, they're reliable. I'd bet that the 4.6 trades HP for torque over the Vulcan, plus the ones in Crown Vics and whatnot are pretty conservatively tuned for long life, I imagine. Mustang got a bit more out of the same engine, and even more out of the DOHC version.

If it'll stop raining, looking forward to replacing the rear engine/transaxle mount on the wife's Kia, and the brake master cylinder on the AE86 this weekend. Perhaps then her car will stop axle hopping under brisk acceleration (and making a knocking noise while doing so - most disconcerting) and the Crayolla will actually stop with some urgency.
I should also probably crawl up into the attic and figure out where the roof leak is. Thanks to all the rain lately, I've been treated to a "plop" above the ceiling in the living every minute or so. Probably coming in around the vent stack for the heater. Hopefully some asphalt sealer or new flashing will take care of it.

edit: still first page, but paying my share anyway:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Grakkus posted:

The state of British railways is loving disastrous. Some snow falls and suddenly every train is cancelled. This is poo poo that countries like bulgaria, hungary or ukraine can get right but it's not cost efficient to prepare for snow so the for profit rail companies couldnt give a gently caress.

e: I'd like to add that a 2 hour train journey in 2nd class costs the same as a return flight from the UK to Denmark

poo poo, you want bad trains, come on over to the United States of Free Markets and laugh at us.
For long-distance travel, *if* there's a train going where you want, it'll cost almost as much as flying, and take twice as long as *driving*. Don't even ask about busses.
For commuter travel, not a lot of municipalities have trains of any sort. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX has a commuter rail that runs between the two city centers, and Dallas has light rail that spiders out from Union Station, which is the hub for Amtrak, the light rail, and the commuter rail. Snow stops pretty much everything here, so I don't actually know how it affects the rail, because I haven't tried to use it during those times.

edit: actually, ask Exploding Sims about busses.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

We can't, they've closed a lot of the airports too.

That genuinely made me laugh.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

this will never improve/change. sorry.

Can confirm. Child is 16 and sex is still sporadic. Also, now we’re old(er).

InitialDave posted:

Hmm. I guess I can sort of see it as having some validity in certain scenarios, it does sound largely like something that's just ripe for abuse.

I can understand it as part of an asset split on divorce, so rather than sell a house, whoever is still living it pays out to the other an amount up to X, that sort of thing. But assuming that's all been settled in a reasonably fair manner (which to my mind would be where you can address disparities in who worked vs who looked after the home front), anything beyond that seems ridiculous.

Alimony is bullshit in modern society. She can get a job, just like everyone else. Especially when she won’t be sole support of the kids.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm just gonna dive in with an edit there before you get yourself put on a list.

Uh. Thanks. The world is kind of hosed up when you have to specify like that.

Had a team lunch at a churrascaria today. It's 3 hours later and I am still so full I can barely move. So. Much. Meat. And good meat, too...
Ever eat so much you actually look forward to the monster dump you know is coming? Yeah.
Dinner is going to very light, if there is dinner at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

We haven't even gotten to LA yet!

Also we did not rent a car for this trip. I wanted to sightsee, not worry about rear end in a top hat drivers.

We're here til Wednesday, still a lot to do.

But for real, none of the food has been special yet. Carne asada fries? You can get that ahit anywhere in the midwest.

My wife gives no shits about cars so we're not doing a lot if car poo poo. Cars & Coffee in Monterey on Saturday is the main thing.

At least go visit the Peterson museum in LA, if only because it was closed for remodeling when I was there. Likewise, if you're still in San Diego, go tour the USS Midway, because I didn't have time when I was there for work stuff. I live vicariously through others.

Went to flush the cooling system on my wife's Kia, but gave up before I started when I noticed the wet rusty coolant on the outside of the radiator. Now waiting for a new rad to be delivered, thanks to the 3" long crack in the top tank. Thankfully it's about a 1/2" from the top, so the car is fine for the short drives my wife makes. She'll be watching the temp gauge, though.
Did get a new master cylinder on my AE86, and I'm thrilled that it actually stops without planning ahead, now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Had my financial aid appointment yesterday. The short of it: if I quit work, I get 7-14k in grants. If I continue working, most likely no grants.

America :911:

Preach it, brother.
Sadly, that's nowhere near enough to make up for not working, even back in college when I was making a lot less. Even now, $7.50 full time is almost $16K/year. And if you quit working to use grants to pay for school, how do you pay rent and eat? It's all hosed up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

Christ no.

The fact that they've lost $24k (and counting) in two years should be a good indication that it's a bad investment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42909256

Just loving LOL at anything you "own" that you can't use 11/12 of the year. Would you pay $24k divided by however long you plan to use it, (plus "maintenance", which never goes down, all year) to rent a bungalow for a month?

Yeah, I'm going to end up quitting and taking the grants. I'll get 650/month from the VA (one deployment - 50% GI bill coverage), and the grants will make up for the difference between that and rent/bills. Unfortunately I"ll still need to take out student loans, but it reduces my student loan load from 30k to 20k or less.

The most I'd be able to work is 3 days/month (4 week period), which is $500/month after 11% retirement contribution, and $360 after taxes. That's around $9k/year, which is more than the 7k/year in estimated grants. However, I can consider that as a $7k reduction in student loans, which would equal to about $1800 in deferred interest (making it close to the 9k), plus the free weekends for studying. Classes are 5 days a week.

Guess it makes sense for you then, given your schedule and work availability.

This is the stupidest trend in clothing, ever, short of the backwards/inside out thing some years (decades?) ago. It was literally a competition for making a thing/part of a thing bigger that never should have been large to begin with. Pretty much the donk of clothing, basically.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

listen i hate to generalize, but why when going through a divorce do women just jump to they are going to take the kids away from you. ex threatening me all morning with this poo poo. how does it even make sense when she says "if you can't work more and make more to provide for us then i'm going to go to court and get full custody". gently caress off you bitch.

and how does her saying "are you even up yet" and "go back to bed" make any sense when I am asking how soccer practice went last night at 8:30 in the morning and it is hours later, LORD HELP ME

I’m going to go with “what are mental issues” and “what is the only leverage she has against you”, Alex.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

An Asiana market opened across the street. They're open until 9, so I hit them up after work (mainly to get cheap awesome flour and oil with Japanese and Korean (it's mixed in the store) labels on all my poo poo). I did find one liter of this for a massive $3 flat. Even though I'm not really drinking this year (I did have a few Guinness[es?] right before the move), I think you can see why I had to purchase it. Even if it just sits on a shelf.

It was in the unrefrigerated section.

Gritty mouth-feel. Why?

glue.

edit: but what kind of glue. I'm surprised that these sophisticated taste elites can't elaborate on exactly what kind of glue it tastes/smells like. Do they mean cyanoacrylate, PVA (white), PVA (yellow/wood), construction adhesive, or something else. Though I'm not surprised that they know what glue tastes like, if you know what I mean.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 8, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Trying to fix a user's laptop, and I think the SSD is dying. Of course she has no backups of the 200+ GB of useless poo poo on her drive. Every time I try to copy poo poo from the drive (removed from the machine and attached to a Mac via a drive dock + a M.2-to-SATA adapter) the drive will just disappear after about 800 MB transferred. On a PC, I can't even get into her user folder to grab poo poo because the drive won't stay operational long enough for the read permissions to her user folder to be applied. CHKDSK tries, then shits itself when the drive disappears. The Mac at least ignores permissions on external drives. I can copy a few hundred MB at a time. I don't want to be mean, but she's not worth that level of effort. Frustrating me all to hell.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Have you tried imaging the drive instead of trying to modify the files on the drive?

Only tool I have for that is Apple Disk Utility, which tries, but ultimately fails when the drive disappears. It's like the controller gives up after a certain amount of data or something.
I found a file recovery tool that will keep trying, so is much more successful, and I don't have to drag and drop a bunch of times. It retries automatically, and when that times out, I can wait until the drive shows up in Explorer again and manually click retry. Annoying, but less so.The main annoyance is the 200 GB of crap. Half of it's in Japanese, so I can't really tell what's important, either. The entire Ghost in the Shell anime series wasn't, though. Looks like there's the entire manga series of Attack On Titan, too. All in Japanese, though, or I would have snagged them, myself (user is actually Japanese). Also, I already have most of GiTS.

slurry_curry posted:

This is the best thing in LA. Probably the best rotisserie chicken and shawarma I have ever had. My wife only found out about it because she loves true crime, and she saw some show about how the son of the family that started Zankou ended up shooting his sister and mother, then himself

I'd have tried that if I were aware of it when I was there. I was desperately trying to avoid eating at places that I could go to at home. First dinner I had there was a soul food place, and it made me happy. Also had Pho multiple times, since my wife is meh on that, but I discovered I really like it. Couple of local burger places. Checked out In N Out in its native land. Really liked the Ugly Pie Company. Various other places. Nice when the company is paying.

edit: my 20-year anniversary is this year, and we were together 5 years before that. I have no idea how she puts up with me, let alone for 25 years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I'm all for ripping on Rhyno because it's fun, easy, and good for the soul, but I'll never understand statements like these. What exactly is marriage vs. being together?

I get that I'm far from a traditional sort of guy and an usually surprised when people just say things (women love to shop/how about that sports game/millenials :argh:) until I remember that I'm the odd one out, but marriage is nothing. It's a business contract, a legal thing, it's a for-law statement that has nothing at all to do with ~love~ or emotion or anything of the sort. When I see people go 'heh marriage is super cereal' I'm confused every time. Then again I'm not very traditional and that might be everything.

If I were to respond to my above statement I'd probably smuggly go "HEH U DON'T EVEN KNOW" and then I'd shrug and just mumble something about old people, probably. :) :) :)

Basically, yes, it should be just a formality, but for whatever reason, having the relationship officialized/formalized in some way sometimes changes a person's perspective on it, not always for the better. It represents a commitment, now public and official, which just fucks some people up. It's all in the head, basically.

I opened it just now. It smells like Titebond wood glue, and tastes the same. I don't detect ANY banana or whatever the gently caress.

Also yes it's gritty. What the gently caress?

Obviously, your plebeian taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to catch the subtle notes of flavor.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm not going to be buying or drinking that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

gddrescue, yo. Also, NTFS drives mounted in linux via NTFS-3G just ignore file permissions (at least if you're root, as of a few years ago), so that is another approach to grabbing stuff. But I still don't like spending any time operating a failing drive except whatever is necessary to image it somewhere else. And gddrescue is the best for that, because it can just keep trying blocks until it has success, and skipping bad blocks to come around for them later, instead of aborting the whole thing when it runs into an issue like explorer does.

At some point I'm going to have to set up and learn a Linux environment. I used to know A/UX, and I actually use the command line on my Mac (BSD), so Linux isn't completely alien. I know you can run Ubuntu and such off of a thumb drive with portable apps, so I really have no excuse other than :effort:.
On this stupid SSD, I think there's actually something wrong with the controller, rather than the SDRAM itself. It'll transfer a certain, variable amount of data, then spontaneously dismount. On another machine, it will constantly dismount and remount. It's weird. DMDE seems to be grabbing all the data - it just painstaking as it has to keep pausing as the drive fucks around doing whatever it's doing.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Pro-er-tip, get 2 matching duvets

I read recently that this is the way to go. Pretty much how me and my wife do it. There's a single king size on the bed, but she also has her own blankets for when I inevitably steal the covers.

That's brilliant.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

133 kWh away from a $100 discount on my electric bill. A friend did an entire month's worth of laundry in about 24 hours, which killed drat near 200 kWh. My meter is probably getting read at midnight on Monday.

Let the space heaters + air conditioner battle commence! (on the outlets that don't crackle/produce ozone smells when used, anyway.. cripes the wiring in here is a shitshow)

When I move, I'll be on a co-op with fixed rates, on a middle floor, in a place that was built in an era when the word "insulation" wasn't a swear word. And looking over my contract with my current provider, it looks like the simple act of moving is enough to terminate my contract without an ETF (my ETF is pretty painful with the power company... $250), I just need to figure out what proof they need. My ETF with Frontier is a lot less ($60), but I think I remember something about them waiving it if you move to an area they don't service (and they definitely don't service the new place).

How do I put this nicely....

I guess the best way is to say that Del Taco opened a bunch of stores in Texas several years ago (mostly in DFW). There's not a single store left in the entire state; the nearest one to me is 2 1/2 hours away in Oklahoma.

Texans loves tacos. Del Taco is not "taco". Del Taco is, dare I say it, even worse than Taco Bell. Taco loving Casa survives here, despite being worse than Taco Bell (but at least their stuff is a lot fresher...).
Hey, I *like* Taco Casa. They're a bit blander than Taco Bell, but, yeah, fresher. The taco salad is huge, and tasty. Their salsa is decent.

quote:

I managed carpet burn on my rear end cheeks last week. :stare:
Stop dragging your rear end on the carpet, please.

quote:

Please tell me you're aware of the thousands of pho places in DFW. It's seriously 1 step behind taquerias/tacos in how popular it is here.

I'm all about pho, but tendon kinda grosses me out, so I mostly stick to the Americanized pho places (Pho Bowl for the most part, DaLat occasionally if I want pho late at night). There's one pho place that delivers to me on Uber Eats, but it's far enough that if the driver doesn't use an insulated bag (and 99% of uber drivers don't), it's cold when I get it. :sigh: (and to be honest, both Pho Bowl and DaLat have a lot more flavor).
Yes. Have yet to try one because :effort:
Several ramen places recently opened near me, too. Need to try those.

quote:

Just... happened to (re)discover vagina, but I claimed to be bi up until I was about 24 or 25 (and I guess now I've started using that label again, at 39). Still much prefer dick, and my porn collection is 99% gay (the little bit of straight porn that I have is mostly because the dude(s) is/are hot). There's always been a small part of me that's attracted to a very specific body type in women. I still don't trust vagina, but it feels pretty drat good. (almost as good as lol I'm not trying to get probated).
Sometimes the person is more important than the gender. It's OK.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Whats the name of that small virus/spyware checker which is an .exe you can just put on a thumbdrive and run it on the questionable machine?

Malwarebytes has one called ADWCleaner that seems to work well. I'm sure that there are others.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Thanks - I'll check into it. Did a search but hard to parse out which ones are legit and which ones are just malware infections themselves :haw:

Tell me about it. BleepingComputer.com is a decent source for removal instructions and tools.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

I’ve used it for about 2 years or so and I still hate it. I had to reinstall tonight and going thru the bloatware and removing PIN or password requirement and just general unneeded fuckery. Hell it STILL requires me to put in a password on restart despite unchecking the box in the newplwiz thing, or under user and accounts.

And the March of Empires tile will not go the gently caress away.

So much of it triggers my OCD that it makes me want to chunk the loving thing and go completely Apple but I like my PC gaming.

I would go back to W7 if I could...in a heartbeat.

underlig posted:

Thank you for purchasing the Professional version of our latest operating system, here are a few funny games you can play
*uninstall candy crush saga*
*uninstall disney magic kingdom*
oooh hey looks like candy crush saga disappeared, let me add it again for you
*uninstall candy crush saga*
oooh hey looks like disney magic kingdom disappeared, let me add it again for you
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent]
DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures=dword:00000001

I have literally never had these problems, but to be fair, all of my machines are OEM Win 7, clean installed, upgraded to Win 10. None of them were purchased with Win 10, and the OEM licenses are coming from HP business, not consumer, machines.
Download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, and make yourself a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit USB installer, and clean install from that. rather than the hidden partition or whatever your PC maker provided.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The F-150 is a total comedy option, to be honest. He swears the ONLY thing you ever do to maintain a car is change the oil every 2500 miles (with the shittiest no-name oil ever), and change the brakes when they start grinding. New tires when the tread starts separating. He's owned it for 100k, never changed the air filter (which has a huge hole in it anyway - PO put on a K&N and didn't use the bracket, so it had a ~2 inch hole worn through it in a hurry), wonders why it's belching blue smoke. This is the same person who told me I was a "loving idiot" for buying a car with a manual, and claimed clutches have to be replaced every few months (he burned through them every ~10k when he drove manual). I've owned 5 or 6 cars with manuals, replaced one clutch in my life (and it was more of a "it's half worn and the gearbox is already off" deal), while he's been through 6-8 transmissions in his past 2 F-150s combined.

It's an 01 with ~140k. 3rd transmission (already starting to slip again), been through ~20-30 coils in 3 years (since he keeps insisting on buying $5 coils or 8 coils for $30-40, up until last month), can't get it into park ("park" is reverse, "neutral" is drive, etc), the steering is loose enough that he regularly gets pulled over for suspicion of DUI... yeah, no, that thing terrifies me. The power brake booster also checked out years ago (it takes all of your weight on the pedal to begin to slow it down).

It wouldn't take that much work (aside from the slipping trans and burning oil) to make it reliable again, but he insists on spending days to weeks finding the lowest bidder for the most mundane poo poo, including tires (the ones on it now have plenty of tread, but the DOT date is well over 10 yrs old, and chunks of the tread regularly decide to part ways with the tires - but he saved $50 over a brand new set!). It got to where I refuse to touch the drat thing for anything except giving it yet another jump start - I refuse to ride in it, and refuse to drive it. At most I'll pull codes for him, but he's usually driving around with a flashing CEL anyway. You guys saw the saga of his "new" PC, where he was told he was buying a ~1.5 year old i7, got sold an Ivy Bridge instead for 2-3x what it was worth, THEN KEPT GOING TO THE GUY TO BUY MORE poo poo "because I have a good gut feeling about him".

tl;dr using his truck is an absolute last resort for me. I'm not ready to die. Also don't tow a ~15-20k pound power washing trailer with an F-150 without an aux tranny cooler. for that matter, don't pull 20k with an F-150.

e: the option IS there, but I'd either need to let him drive my car for a day or two (oh gently caress no), or rent him a car (also a gently caress no if it was on my credit card, he likes hitting poo poo).

Your step-dad is not a bright individual. The term "penny wise, pound foolish" was invented for him.
I thought 60k was too short a lifespan for the clutch in our Kia, but it's apparently normal - it's done it twice now, and the internet seems to agree.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Midniter posted:

What model? I have a 2011 Forte5 with about 54k right now. Haven't noticed any slipping yet.

2008 Spectra5. Other contemporaries seem to have a similar issue, anecdotally, at least.

Have 130+K miles on it now, and it's on the third clutch.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Very much so.

And yeah, a coworker has a Kia Soul that eats clutches every ~75k, and ate a gearbox around 150k. He's up to ~250k.

His biggest annoyance is there's just no aftermarket (parts) for so much of it. When his starter went, it was junkyard or dealer only... think it was the same when his alternator went out.

Heh, the second gear synchro poo poo the bed right after the first clutch (no relation, as far as I can tell,) replaced under warranty. It's still behaving 60K miles later.
Parts are not bad. I've found everything I needed on Rock Auto, eBay, and Amazon, so far. The AC compressor was a bit annoying @ ~$300, but the replacement door handle was $25, radiator was $90, I forget how much the clutch kit was, but reasonable, and the cable to fix the current door handle issue was all of $6. It helps that the Spectra shares a lot of parts with the Hyundai Accent, among others.

:wth:
:aaaaa:

Now I need this for my AE86, but with "No One Sleeps In Tokyo," or some other appropriate Eurobeat.

The Door Frame posted:

Well, my grandpa finally died. Old bastard clung on 5 days with pneumonia after his most recent heart attack, with end-stage COPD. It's weird, everyone knew he was a deadman walking, but he turned for the worse so suddenly that it caught all of us off guard. He was laughing, walking, having fun with the family 2 days before he was hospitalized. Half the people in my family thought he was going to go back home soon because he's so drat stubborn. Hell, when I said goodbye to him the last time, he tried to trick me into standing him up so he could get a ride with me

This sounds lovely, but it's almost a relief that he passed, because at least he isn't suffering anymore. That was a very long 5 days...

Goodolences.
I agree. At a certain point it's time to go. I don't think there's any shame in being relieved that someone isn't suffering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Also - screw really smoked or tinted taillights, doubly so for headlights. A very light smoke to bring the red tone down a touch can look fantastic. The black taillights that look like you have a tiny birthday candle illuminating them when lit, not so much.

It's also in all likelihood illegal. Definitely for the headlights.

Liquid Communism posted:

The whole 'all black everything' has really tempted me to have my CVPI repainted in DOT orange.

Do eeeeet!
MotionAutoTV's Project Haggard drift challenge CVPI was orange, and looked awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgppX5LlII

Here's a different one:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i dont keep up with ai anymore so i wouldnt have known :saddowns:

UNCLEAN!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's pretty damned awesome. I enjoy the color.

It's either sad or a product of where I live, but when I see awesome-colored crown vics I generally think "donk," but then I saw the wheels on that one and was surprised and happy.

90% of the pics a GIS brings up for "orange crown victoria" are donks.9% of them are Yellow Cabs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol wat. Quitting can be necessary for prosperity at times, among other things like saving your sanity.

In this employment environment (US), it's pretty much the only way to move up any more, at least in IT, where I am. Almost no one will increase pay significantly without moving to another company, or at least a lateral move to another in-house position. Most of us can't even get decent cost-of-living increases.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Most people don't realise that Japan is very much on it when it comes to keeping roads clear and intact. Perfect example here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/japan-fixes-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

If that happened in the UK it'd take about 3 weeks before they even started doing poo poo, but completely filled in within 48 hours? That's next level infrastructure.

In the US, it'd take months, and go over budget 6 times. There would also be a court case to determine who pays for it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Weird rear end electric plan kicked rear end this month.

1005 kWh = $43.02. I had to have the space heater vs portable ac vs central ac battle for a couple of days to break 1000; this bill would have been about $70 higher if I hadn't broken 1k.

Where I'm moving has time of day based usage. I'm a nightowl, and the cheapest rates are overnight, but the washer and dryer are in the bathroom (bathroom is attached to the bedroom), so I'd probably have to wash before she went to bed, then start the dryer later (she wakes up at 4am, has to be at work by 5). There's no minimums or credits, it's just straight up "it's this much during X time, this much during Y time, this much during Z time, and a $20 base charge". They have a flat rate plan too, but it's the peak rate 24/7 instead of changing based on time. At least the new place is early 2000s vs early 80s, and a middle floor, so HVAC usage shouldn't be bad.

I'd have stuck the heater and the portable AC out on the balcony.

No. That just hurts my brain. I was a teenage awkward nerd once, too, but holy poo poo these guys take it to a whole new level and just keep going. It took a while, but even I figured out how to talk to girls (first hint: treat them like actual people, and don't expect to have sex with all of them.) Jesus.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

KEEP READING

Nuh uh. That kind of poo poo makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't know how to handle broken people. I just nope the gently caress out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Video that was on my linkedin feed (not car related unless it's tangentially due to messy but tasty fast food)

I'll take 1000 donairs please. Sure, I'll wait 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/BlYbvek3WAk

So it's basically a beef gyro with a different sauce? Sounds good, but I'm not hip on sweet sauces on my meat (heh).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We don't need to go there. We talk about burgers at least monthly in the Chat Thread. Or pizza.

A co-worker today bought us all pizza from a local joint called The Pie and it is v good. The cheese weighs more than the thick crust. The ratios are just out of control.

This sound like a fine pizza.

quote="Somewhat Heroic" post="482225926"]
There are no rules for Pizza unless you are talking about how fruit has no place on top of it.
[/quote]

QFT

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Yearly review was today. Boss was super complementary and nice. I may need to talk to my district manager since he seems to be concerned that I'm losing my push to progress further. There was recently a chance to take over a store 5 minutes away from my current one, but I didn't put in for it since I decided I'd be a poor fit. That store has severe personnel issues that needs an experienced store manager adept at handling interpersonal disputes because its going to have alot of them. (The assistant there got the job due to lack of options and already half his staff has asked for transfers. Dude is horrible at managing personnel issues. And an rear end in a top hat.) It also has severe operational issues that I see no way out of unless they radically change how they let that store manager run the store.

I know there's not a lot of avenues open in retail, but it's almost amusing how surprised managers are when someone doesn't want to be a manager. Some folks just don't want to herd other folks, or know they don't have any skill in it. My dad, a retired mechanical engineer, had that problem at his longest-running job. He'd maxed out but didn't want to move into management. He wanted to be an engineer. They just couldn't fathom that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Watch chat: I like chronograph sand such, but I just don't see the value in anything that costs more than about $30 and doesn't do anything but tell time. I admire the craftsmanship, and the mechanical aspect, but I can spend that money elsewhere. Considering a smart watch, though. I haven't worn a watch in so long I don't know if I can deal with something hanging off my wrist again.

I just saw a Wing Stop TV ad for their new online ordering, and it features modem sounds. Is it bad that I know that it wasn't a high-speed connection because it didn't have the rising-note "wang!" near the end? Or just super-nerdy/old?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This one? Not all v.90 modems sounded the same, but that's starting out as 56k. :v: And it sounded like they just cut the sound short.

How did I know that you would respond to that? ;)
Yeah, it didn’t have the bit at about 1:30.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but we don't have the details. Did the guy really just up and leave suddenly? They had a 100% good relationship until they dude suddenly bailed?
The sort of person that would just up and dick-move like that is probably lovely in all sorts of other ways and is probably ultimately unlhealthy for her.
Or it's more nuanced than that.

It could also do with *why* she gained the weight. Like, is it poor life decisions, an unwillingness to be healthy, apathy, that sort of thing. Stuff that can spill over into the rest of the relationship. Maybe it was just a final straw thing. Or maybe he really is that shallow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

If you're a horologist, or even have a passing interest in mechanical things, you need to see this (if you haven't already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

This is what I'm talking about when I say I admire the design and craftsmanship, absolutely. That mechanism is gorgeous. Very cool to see the kinds of tools and fixtures that the makers, engravers, etc. use. It was a vidoe like this where I finally understood what "jewels" were, what they did, and such. Good gosh that thing is huge, though, and very definitely not my style.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The best tacos in TX are usually in the back of a gas station.

This place is 15 minutes from me, generic as gently caress, and amazing. Don't go between about 2-4am if you value your sanity though, the line is way out the door. You go to the gas station cashier to order/pay, they give you a receipt, you hand the receipt to the line worker, they slap your plate together in 30 seconds.

This place also has a location in a gas station, and does a drat good knockoff of Chico's Tacos. :neckbeard:

Fuel City (original) or GTFO.

I'm talking poo poo. I've never had the others STR linked to.

angryrobots posted:

Add me to the list of "really needs to get that done". Mostly so the kids needs will be provided for and everything can be liquidated as easily as possible and held in trust.

<raises hand>

spog posted:

Doing that will force me to admit that I may die and I am planning on living forever.

<keeps hand up>

Wife and I are planning to create a trust. That way there is essentially no need for a will. You make any beneficiaries members of the trust, and the trust owns everything. Or so she says. She's the paralegal, so I listen to her.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seuPuSI1CTE

Sounds like no more motortrend youtube. Slightly annoying, but I imagine this helps their bottom line a bit.

Discuss.

Not a fan. The internet is going the way of cable (and the reason we all *left* cable) of a bunch of channels with their own exclusive content, rather than everything in one handy location. At least some of the videos will still be free, I guess. Not sure I'll bother, because it always seems like non-YouTube video platforms are more trouble than their worth, in terms of signing in, Java issue, or Flash issues, or plain old browser compatibility issues.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Fantastic, I can't wait to enjoy my favorite shows on yet another garbage website or app with ads for itself every five minutes. Hopefully the content I'm watching will struggle to load as the various other autoplay teasers/ads/popups are prioritized! At least I won't just be able to be alerted of new episodes and watch easily on my smartTV anymore.

oldmanyellsatclouds.jpg
Exactly.

InitialDave posted:

"Comments are disabled for this video."

This always translates as "We are wrong but don't want to have to hear it".

I thought the same thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Remember Ryan White, the famous kid with AIDS? We moved to central Indiana at the same time as his family. My new school thought I was him and put out a memo to all teachers (without doing any research as he was several years older than me). Thus began three solid years of extreme bullying. I was taunted with chants of AIDS-BOY and brutalized. I can't even remember the number of times I went home bloody. It never stopped, not until we moved away. The school did nothing and we were unable to find a lawyer who thought we could effectively sue over the memo.

So yeah, you'd think I'd have gotten my hands on some guns at some point right?

Jesus gently caress.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

The government in Idiocracy is better than the current one since it is a meritocracy and the smart people rise to the top and the president listened to the smart people.

Holy poo poo. :psyboom:

On the topic of vidya games, I saw a recording of a Twitch stream of a guy called Ninja playing Fortnite Battle Royale, and holy gently caress do I feel inadequate. I swear this guy has four hands and eyes in the back of his head. Dude definitely operates at a higher clock speed than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_QHy9PSSA

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Facebook is loving toxic. If it wasn't the only way to keep in touch with certain people I'd delete it right now.

I'm with you on that one.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So on to misc poo poo. I need a toolbox. Something better than the slightly smaller than a shoebox plastic piece of poo poo from Harbor Freight I currently have.

Budget is pretty low, but it needs to be metal, portable, have a couple of drawers, and be capable of carrying more than 2 pounds.

Recommendations?

I have a box for my main socket set (Kobalt 3/8" metric/imperial set) that came with the set; the socket set won't be going into any kind of toolbox (it lives in my trunk in its original case). But all the other random poo poo I have to buy (both household and car) will, aside from large stuff (like my :quagmire: drill). Stuff like crimpers (regular, ethernet, coax), drywall saw, screwdrivers, random low usage sockets (like the 37mm I need to change the timing belt tensioner, 22mm for the shocks) and half inch drive wrench/breaker bar, eventually a torque wrench, etc.

Northern Tool and Harbor Freight will probably be my first stops, though I may check out Sears (... if I can find one). The gf works at Lowe's, so Kobalt stuff is an option if reasonably priced or on clearance (employee discount etc).

My dad got me this Craftsman when I was in high school, and I actively used it until I got my monster roll-away a couple years ago.
Amusingly, when I just checked the Craftsman website to locate a store, the only store it came up with near Irving (TX) is an Ace Hardware in Farmer's Branch. I guess the Sears in Irving Mall is useless, now.gently caress, I just noticed that Sears isn't even in the list of "Purchase legendary Craftsman Products at any of these fine retailers". Wow. It still comes up on Sears website, however: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-dr...CFXQIZQodxFIBdA
$60, so may be too pricey for you. Website says the Collin Creek Mall, Richardson Square, and Stonebriar locations have it.

Northern Tool's are all plastic boxes with no drawers, unless you want to shell out even more than Craftsman for a Homak. Northern Tool doesn't have any either until you get to the big suckers. Lowe's has a few options around $50.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I also have one of those. It served me very well until it was overflowing and I needed the full size chest.

I had that, Craftsman's tiniest rollaway that used another one like it as a top box - whole thing was literally only about 4' tall - plus stuff on pegboard, stuffed under the workbench, etc., and my socket set in a separate toolbox.
The Kirkland 42" wide, 50-something" tall cabinet is loving wonderful. Until this showed up on sale at Costco, I was going to get one of a similar size from Harbor Freight. I still have stuff on the pegboard for ease of access (wrenches in organizers, drill drivers, hammers, and some other stuff) but everything else fits in the rollaway, with power tools in a steel cabinet that I also acquired. I feel somewhat organized, now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

Where you promised training in service, or that you would be servicing ammonia refrigeration systems? If you were, I'd bring that up to the powers-that-be. At least make an attempt (if you haven't done so) to rectify what you thought was going to happen with management. If they're all bait-and-switch, GTFO. If you just didn't ask the right questions, lesson learned, I guess. Sucks, regardless.

edit: days and hours would still be rough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, gently caress them. If they're going to lie to you at the start, it's only going to get worse. You don't need that poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The idea of having a human being sit in the car and watch patiently for the 1% of the time it runs over a pedestrian vs the 99% of the time it boringly trudges through featureless suburban grey is also one that is doomed to failure.

This has pretty much been my opinion the whole time. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a human to be attentive when they are basically just sitting there doing nothing for hours. We zone out when we are *actually* driving, FFS.
I'm still waiting to see what happened to all the fancy LIDAR bullshit.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

YOU GUYS I CAUGHT ME ONE OF THEM SOFT AND PRETTY SMELLING THINGS, YOU KNOW, THE MYTHICAL HAIR TIE BEAST

Double-Breasted Split-tailed Mattress Thrasher, or Golden-crested Ruby Lipped Tonsil Tickler?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 23, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey TT

We also got a 4th dinner in the 8 man Squad 'Event' and are now 1-for-1 100% on that mode which is now on the live servers. Pretty fun, definitely check it out if you haven't tried it - our game with 4 randos was like the bank heist scene from "Heat" the entire round and then we pulled off a sweet platoon-style pincer maneuver to finish the last 9 guys.

Nice. They don’t have 8-man in the consoles yet, but I managed my first solo chicken dinner last night, with 4 kills. I thought my heart was going to explode when it was down to the last 4 including me. Last dude fell asleep or something, because I stood up to find the rear end in a top hat and he missed me. Circle was like 30’ at that point, and I blasted him into oblivion with the S12. I love that gun for close encounters. Point -> boom! Boom! Boom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

E: The pictures in this post are the earliest pictures of both of my dogs that I have. Murray was 8 weeks, Weaver was approx 10 months and literally about to go into heat when she got spayed about a week after she showed up at the farm.

Are your dogs named after Ghostbusters actors?

iwentdoodie posted:

Our newest dog is timid like that with men. I taught her to shake today, and that's when I really noticed. I have to move my hand in a VERY certain way, or she cowers and piddles. It's loving sad, and if I could meet the oval office that owned her I'd like to see how loving much beating it would take until his rear end does the same.

How the gently caress do you beat a helpless rear end dog? Especially since they dumped her when she was a year loving old? She's the sweetest goddamn dog, just hyper....because she's a loving working dog who needs to be busy.

We had a dog once that had obviously been abused by a man. She was timid around me initially, and pretty much always around other males. Did my best to help her not be afraid of men.
She had a habit of sitting on you foot, presumable so she'd know when you moved.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is making me miss my dogs hard right now because I'm working and they're at my folks' place since I kinda want to avoid using the kennel for entire shiftblocks until I absolutely have to start doing it. I need a new job as much for myself as for my dogs.

The dupont rotation I work doesn't just gently caress up my life, it fucks up their's too. We don't have a routine set time for walks because I am literally gone for 13 hours when I'm working and then changing over in between shift blocks. No daily routine for a dog is, well, just as bad as it is for a human. What sane person is walking their dogs at 3am one day and 4pm two days later and then 4am for the next four?

This is why I'm willing to commute up to 2.5-3 hours each way in my attempt to find a job with a normal work week. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening, at least it'll be routine and at least I'll have weekends to let them go hog wild on the property the shop's on until my parents sell it.

Why do businesses implement shifts like that in the face of every bit of research that says you get unhappy, unproductive workers?

slothrop posted:

you know what's nice? Having headlights that turn on when you turn the switch!

Turns out the stalk/switch assembly was faulty and the new part arrived today. You really don't realise how much you take working headlights for granted! That'll have to be it for birthday treats this year because I spent close to 11 hours at work by myself.

At least there was a new Roadkill when I got home. They've built what looks like a hillbilly 037 :v:

Too bad I'll never see it since they left YouTube.
I'll probably create an account at MT just to watch Roadkill, as long as it continues to be free. I'm a leech.

• Locked thread