Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why are you all still thinking that the rags have any influence over non-thumb people anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why are you all still thinking that the rags have any influence over non-thumb people anymore?

Exactly, because young adults aren't reading the papers. Articles, maybe, but it's all filtered through social media feeds, where the editorial line can be preemptively cut off at the knees with a simple "what is this moron talking about". The papers are no more credible to the young than the gammon brigade, and I'd like to think that Leverson being shelved just condemns the press to a slow and painful death rather than keeping the cycle going.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You really are not giving the youth enough credit you know. They don’t read newspapers, they rarely watch the news and they live on social media. Enough of the middle class Tory voter base hate the idea of Brexit to despise the current generation of Tories as well, and if there is one thing a Tory can do will it’s hold a grudge.

It’s literally only racist thickfucks, boomers, and the very olds who are being led by the balls by the daily mail and the daily telegraph at this point. 20 years time all that remains of print media will be the local papers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

20 years time all that remains of print media will be the local papers.
Look forward to 100 variations of 'ban this filth' where people 10 miles over disagree on exactly what filth should be banned. :toot:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Young folk in general support Corbyn and oppose Brexit, and I reckon they'd feel pretty betrayed if Corbyn had a concrete chance to stop Brexit (by being elected PM before it happens) and declined to do so.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm not under any delusions the papers are going to be relevant tomorrow or in ten years, but it would be quite nice if the culture and practices that brought us here from 1970 could effectively be cut out from society forever with legal enforcement. Social media is clearly not the answer to everything any more than the internet itself was; if Labour can hold an 80% approval rating across an entire generation throughout multiple difficult governments, that's fantastic, but it'd be one hell of an ask and eventually young tories will figure out how to pass as human again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We'll get an AI that passes the Turing Test first.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EDIT - ^^^^^^^^^^ I am already here! Wait, poo poo. I wasn't supposed to say that

Do we think it's likely Labour would/will put something Leveson-esque into practice if/when they come to power?

I mean, Corbs clearly has no love for the gutter press, so I'd hope so

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Barry Foster posted:

Do we think it's likely Labour would/will put something Leveson-esque into practice if/when they come to power?

I mean, Corbs clearly has no love for the gutter press, so I'd hope so

I think it's quite likely. If nothing else, it gets Watson off his back :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Junior G-man posted:

I think it's quite likely. If nothing else, it gets Watson off his back :)

Ahh yeah, I'd forgotten The One Good Thing about Watson

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I mean, we still need to be vigilant, as there are still young people who buy into the tabloid line, even if there's less than before.

And of course, fash garbage on 4chan that need their poo poo pushing in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sometimes when it’s nice and quiet and a slow news day. I like to tweet really strange insults at Philip Hammond.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
warning: only interesting if you're interested in left-wing macroeconomist inside baseball

simon wren-lewis throws a bomb

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ronya, are you Simon Wren-Lewis?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are two types of people in this thread.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Those who are, and those who are not?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Proletariat and bourgeoisie?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Macro-economists and macaroni-economists?

Frivolous Sam
Apr 15, 2001

The aliens might be coming, THE ALIENS MIGHT BE COMING.
Godsdamn gullibility around homelessness -- kind members of the public believe people who tell them that services are closed and tweet or Facebook the updates very publicly -- and we're told there's no way we can tell anyone that it's not true.

We've spoken to the person at least twice and offered help and they not very politely refused. Of course it's totally up to the person if they don't want the help on offer and we don't take it personally but we try to have a positive conversation.

The point is that the misinformation spread by the kind member of the public gives the impression that either nothing's being done or that people shouldn't bother with trying to get the help, reducing the effectiveness of the help and tying us up in PR instead of spending the time getting people in from the cold and into housing.

Any helpful ideas?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Best thing about the KFC supply disaster is that switching Bidvest for DHL and having completely obvious supply issues was exactly what Burger King did less than a decade ago

Also was on a 9-4:30 shift and my office is closing at 2:30 because of the Southwest red alert, but I got sent home early cause my buses would stop visiting my location about two hours before that

Now I'm on leave til the 8th but the weather's ruined our planned trip to a chalet in Westward Ho! to get away and my fianceé and I are extremely sad

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My heating has broken, and so has British Gas's phone line.
They keep telling people via twitter to book an engineer on their website, but it keeps sending me back to the main account page.
A friend did get through to the engineer booking page, and it looks like the next available slot is on Monday.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Snowmageddon has hit Cardiff hard officially

The rather large pub co I work for has seen sales plummit all over the country so we're getting told to prepare for empty pubs, tell staff not to come in, cancel events etc

We're a student pub next to the uni, its closed, we're absolutely heaving :bravo:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Illuyankas posted:

Best thing about the KFC supply disaster is that switching Bidvest for DHL and having completely obvious supply issues was exactly what Burger King did less than a decade ago

Also was on a 9-4:30 shift and my office is closing at 2:30 because of the Southwest red alert, but I got sent home early cause my buses would stop visiting my location about two hours before that

Now I'm on leave til the 8th but the weather's ruined our planned trip to a chalet in Westward Ho! to get away and my fianceé and I are extremely sad

Can't think why she's sad, you were calling her a ho and giving her orders.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe I didn't emphasise the ! in Ho! enough

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

OK, you know there's a problem with the weather when your local Co-Op starts selling out of Rustler Burgers. That's desperation setting in right there.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Illuyankas posted:

It is, frankly, the only interesting thing about Westward Ho!.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Civilisation has basically collapsed here in Edinburgh. The publically-owned action heroes at Lothian buses (seen in action here) aren't even running, so legally i think that means we're under martial law and cannibalism is legal.

Also, if anyone is bored on this snow day and wants a fun and exciting way to spend the next two hours or so, the Scottish Government's consultation on better recognising the identities of trans people is still open until 5pm today, with a helpful guide to the ideologically Correct answers here. You get the warm glow of really irritating this one guy with a blog from Bath, as well as actually maybe helping trans people? Which uh, as it turns out includes me, so if you really want to personally stick it to Forums Poster Angepain feel free to copy and paste all the trans-exclusionary twitter posts you wish.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mehall posted:

They keep telling people via twitter to book an engineer on their website, but it keeps sending me back to the main account page.
A friend did get through to the engineer booking page, and it looks like the next available slot is on Monday.

time for the ol' open-door-oven technique and saying goodbye to your cash I guess

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xaerael posted:

OK, you know there's a problem with the weather when your local Co-Op starts selling out of Rustler Burgers. That's desperation setting in right there.

But what about the Fridge Raiders? :ohdear:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Xaerael posted:

I'll have a Quorn thing please.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Angepain posted:

Civilisation has basically collapsed here in Edinburgh. The publically-owned action heroes at Lothian buses (seen in action here) aren't even running, so legally i think that means we're under martial law and cannibalism is legal.

Also, if anyone is bored on this snow day and wants a fun and exciting way to spend the next two hours or so, the Scottish Government's consultation on better recognising the identities of trans people is still open until 5pm today, with a helpful guide to the ideologically Correct answers here. You get the warm glow of really irritating this one guy with a blog from Bath, as well as actually maybe helping trans people? Which uh, as it turns out includes me, so if you really want to personally stick it to Forums Poster Angepain feel free to copy and paste all the trans-exclusionary twitter posts you wish.

Why use twitter when mumsnet exists and is much terfer?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I like microwave meals, it is almost like someone loves you and has cooked you a nice dinner for to eat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The fleshlight of having someone love you and cook you a nice dinner.

Illuyankas posted:

Is it pronounced as an alveolar click?

Tesseraction posted:

time for the ol' open-door-oven technique and saying goodbye to your cash I guess
Or boiling a stovetop kettle and emptying it into a metal bucket. Repeatedly. While wearing three sweaters.

If that doesn't work, remember that anything's an open fireplace if you're brave enough.

Angepain posted:

You get the warm glow of really irritating this one guy with a blog from Bath
Which one of the alt-right poo poo set is that?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Rarity posted:

But what about the Fridge Raiders? :ohdear:

The only things with meat are the Jamaican pasty things no one trusts, pictured middle of the top shelf.

(Not even kidding, the fresh meat fridges were totally strip-mined.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Is it pronounced as an alveolar click?

Only if she's doing it wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of alt-right numpties here in the UK https://twitter.com/ClassicCommie/status/969220701076017158?s=19

lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Which one of the alt-right poo poo set is that?

I think they're talking about the good reverend game reviewer, Wings Over Scotland.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Xaerael posted:

I like that people concerned with starving to death and panic buying looked at the tofu and quorn and went “nah, I’m not that desperate”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mehall posted:

Read this. Long shot but this is the advice our council is linking to. https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/about/news/frozen-condensate-dont-get-caught-out-this-winter?platform=hootsuite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Xaerael posted:

The only things with meat are the Jamaican pasty things no one trusts, pictured middle of the top shelf.

Those are things I've voluntarily eaten which puts them a step above Rustler burgers, wtf is wrong with the people where you live?

• Locked thread