Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
haha yeah right!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
for me to poop on

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wish someone would "embed" your threads in the gas chamber, op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s the bsd knees

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

stebe tried to cure his cancer by embedding fruit in his rear end

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you watch your os

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

stebe tried to cure his cancer by embedding fruit in his rear end

who lit the stymie signal? ffs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
eschaton get in here

https://twitter.com/eschaton/status/956749858001502209

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
works for me, op.

fun fact, Apple has recently open sourced the ARM parts of the kernel, so you can finally be running Darwin on some random arm thing is you write a shitload of drivers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

#include <IOSdream>

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

works for me, op.

fun fact, Apple has recently open sourced the ARM parts of the kernel, so you can finally be running Darwin on some random arm thing is you write a shitload of drivers.

legitimate question: what advantages of this would there be over just running another Linux on my internet of poo poo device?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

legitimate question: what advantages of this would there be over just running another Linux on my internet of poo poo device?

none

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

it would be a big disadvantage due to lack of drivers and mediocre toolchain.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

you would learn all of the quirks of the hardware since you would have to write your own drivers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what the gently caress does the iPod Shuffle run

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Pixo?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

what the gently caress does the iPod Shuffle run

the iPod Shuffle runs a version of the common iPod firmware, which doesn’t have a marketing name. it is a heavily modified version of the RTOS used in the pixo. the rest of the pixo layer was tossed out long ago because it was garbage and the UI was rewritten.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods please change the thread title to manic pixo dream girl

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Agile Vector posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

works for me, op.

nice, I hadn’t seen that

no open source libxpc yet though

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
and i thought lightweight macos was the version that shipped on the new macbooks!

*dabs at forehead, tugs at collar rodney dangerfieldishly*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

and i thought lightweight macos was the version that shipped on the new macbooks!

*dabs at forehead, tugs at collar rodney dangerfieldishly*

what?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Agile Vector posted:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like the thread title. voting 5. good work OP :]

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

not even Apple is willing to do embedded macOS/iOS development, they’re busy hiring Linux kernel developers for their embedded ARM stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"embed" your poo poo by taking a dump directly into the cistern

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

not even Apple is willing to do embedded macOS/iOS development, they’re busy hiring Linux kernel developers for their embedded ARM stuff

false

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

update: lol no.

Apple makes their own jtag hardware and software, and it’s the best I’ve ever used. yes, it does come in a slick white plastic case and uses the lightning port.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listi...m?jl=2675355957
https://www.theladders.com/job/silicon-validation-linux-software-engineer-apple-santa-clara-ca_36045775
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/silicon-validation-linux-software-engineer-at-apple-577219648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Apple uses Linux in some chip validation tasks and on servers. it does not ship any products that run linux.

• Locked thread