Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
No, that was totally on Ern. poo poo was obviously some kind of scam and he walked right into it.

I think the end of this episode pretty much summed up that Ern is going to make bad decisions and put himself in bad spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PaybackJack posted:

No, that was totally on Ern. poo poo was obviously some kind of scam and he walked right into it.

I think the end of this episode pretty much summed up that Ern is going to make bad decisions and put himself in bad spots.

Ern walked into that one too. It's his dumb pride that leads him to instigate a fistfight with Tracy who is a foot taller than him and built like a boxer.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love that Donald Glover writes and produces a show where his own character is consistently marginalized and emasculated, and it's his fault just as often as not

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
That running punch from Tracy cracked me the gently caress up.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I still can't get over the tiki torch joke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't know if I'll ever hear Laffy Taffy the same way again

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

man that statesboro name drop got me excited

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ern is dumb as hell

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

sudo rm -rf posted:

man that statesboro name drop got me excited

I lived there for a bit as well!

Serf
May 5, 2011

statesboro is the closes bastion of civilization to where i live so hearing it mentioned was cool

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I loved there in the early 2000s, went back a couple years ago when visiting Savannah.

They have a Buffalo Wild Wings now! Mall still sucks.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

prom candy posted:

Ern is dumb as hell

Intelligence is knowing what the root of the word "manager" is. Wisdom is knowing that no matter how fired up you are, you are not going to be able to kick Tracy's rear end or beat Michael Vick in a footrace.

Serf
May 5, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I loved there in the early 2000s, went back a couple years ago when visiting Savannah.

They have a Buffalo Wild Wings now! Mall still sucks.

i don't know about a mall, but i do know about the small

little disappointed they didn't actually shoot it in statesboro, because nothing here looks remotely like what they used in the show.

also ern is dumb as hell for trying to mess with tracy. i've known dudes just like him, and going down that road is a bad idea. either you learn to live with a guy like tracy, or you take yourself somewhere else

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Serf posted:

little disappointed they didn't actually shoot it in statesboro, because nothing here looks remotely like what they used in the show.

also ern is dumb as hell for trying to mess with tracy. i've known dudes just like him, and going down that road is a bad idea. either you learn to live with a guy like tracy, or you take yourself somewhere else

I mean... as a manager you're trying to maintain the image of your client and in no way is having your security push women down the stairs doing it.

Though also he coulda just gotten the 150 dollar hotel room for everyone loving dumbass

Serf
May 5, 2011

Veskit posted:

I mean... as a manager you're trying to maintain the image of your client and in no way is having your security push women down the stairs doing it.

Though also he coulda just gotten the 150 dollar hotel room for everyone loving dumbass

oh there's no doubt this is all ern's fault, but i mean more like how poo poo rolls right off tracy where it matters: with regards to paper boi. it's a dynamic i've seen a lot where no matter how bad this one dude fucks up, he's in good with the guy in charge. i love tracy because the actor playing him pulls off that careful balance of funny and infuriating for the viewpoint character of ern.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serf posted:

oh there's no doubt this is all ern's fault, but i mean more like how poo poo rolls right off tracy where it matters: with regards to paper boi. it's a dynamic i've seen a lot where no matter how bad this one dude fucks up, he's in good with the guy in charge. i love tracy because the actor playing him pulls off that careful balance of funny and infuriating for the viewpoint character of ern.

It's not all Ern's fault. It's ultimately ern's fault, sure. He was too drat cheap in the pursuit of chasing a few extra bucks. But he was running damage control best as he was capable (not very) from before poo poo even went bad. To his credit he realized Tracy was a huge liability before they even left. Darius, right as he always is, pegged the nutcase from the beginning. It's amazing the extent people are defending Tracy because "it was Ern who hosed up". Anyway, I guarantee this: once he changes managers, PB will regret it sooner or later.

This was my favorite episode of the season and possibly the series and I've said that a few times now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's not all Ern's fault. It's ultimately ern's fault, sure. He was too drat cheap in the pursuit of chasing a few extra bucks. But he was running damage control best as he was capable (not very) from before poo poo even went bad. To his credit he realized Tracy was a huge liability before they even left. Darius, right as he always is, pegged the nutcase from the beginning. It's amazing the extent people are defending Tracy because "it was Ern who hosed up". Anyway, I guarantee this: once he changes managers, PB will regret it sooner or later.

This was my favorite episode of the season and possibly the series and I've said that a few times now.

i don't even think ern hosed up. he just set this whole chain of events in motion by booking the gig and cheaping out on the hotel room (seriously its statesboro, a hotel room here is like $40/night when its not graduation season). but ironically the best decision he could have made would be to not get in tracy's way and let him kill/seriously injure a girl and then watch him go down in flames. Of course it is statesboro, so there's a decent chance they'd all wind up in jail just for being with him.

but definitely don't fight him, geez.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ern is prideful to a fault and I think we might even actually all agree on that. Trustworthy too, and I think if he hadn't had his day ruined by Tracy's gift card scheme before this would have just been a bad day's retreat rather than a disastrous rout.

It's an insanely good show and I've been thinking on it a bunch since last episode lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Tracy is a huge gently caress up and a liability to the group, but that doesn't erase the fact that Ern isn't very good at his job, and that Alfred would be better off with a professional.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Let’s not let PB completely off the hook, he also has made some poor decisions so that he can “keep it real.”

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
darius is the only one who is truly perfect and pure

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think if Alfred switched over to a professional, they'd drop him as soon as he blew another gig or commercial because he didn't want to play along. Even after his time in the woods he's still more interested in having a brawl in a college dorm than just doing the smart thing.

There's a read on the Barbershop episode that it was supposed to be a condensed version of Earn and Alfred's relationship. Yeah, Earn's a mess who drags Alfred along on weird misadventures and almost gets him in trouble with the law, but if Alfred drops Earn he'd be lost.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

darius is the only one who is truly perfect and pure

darius is obviously the best of the bunch but let's not pretend that ern, paper boi or even tracy would have stuck around for more than ten seconds after seeing teddy perkins' face

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Serf posted:

yeah the immediate give-away was 'statesboro' not being completely flat

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It was just a perfect storm of bad decisions and even if they could have avoided the Tracy incident, something else would have come up from the crazy girl and drink.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

That shot of Ern and Paperboi sitting on a couch smoking weed, staring down rows of naked frat pledges, while Laffy Taffy plays with the confederate flag as a backdrop is pure gold holy poo poo.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This season had been lackluster so far (especially the whole gimmick of dedicating one episode per person) but this episode felt like a return to form. Ern was not long for his managerial position and the way that arc culminated with his run-in with Tracey felt cathartic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pussy Quipped posted:

That shot of Ern and Paperboi sitting on a couch smoking weed, staring down rows of naked frat pledges, while Laffy Taffy plays with the confederate flag as a backdrop is pure gold holy poo poo.

It was basically perfect.

lol "I've thought of joining the NRA"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Deleted scene:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiMyhemDXuV/?utm_source=ig_embed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

lmfao god drat that was amazing. I think the ep was cut basically perfectly as it was and I don't think it would have meshed well with what we got.

Are there any blooper compilations of previous episodes?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
There was another Darius moment in this episode when they first arrive at the dorms and he hops up on the picnic table as part of his path to the door. It made me smile because it was so natural, like when he was skipping home from the party at Drake's. I think little stuff like that makes me enjoy Darius even more, because Lakeith makes it seem so instinctive. They're like things a little kid does partly because they're fun but also because kids are constantly testing and defining their own limitations. "Can I balance on this curb?" "Can I jump and reach this sign?"

The writers and Stanfield have done a great job at showing Darius as this zen-like dude who is always exploring the nature of his reality and his curiosity greatly outweighs his caution or the cynicism of everyone around him. That's why I could totally believe him sticking around with Teddy. Sure, he probably really did want that piano, but I also think he just wanted to see where things were going to go.

Also I loved the "I've been thinking of joining the NRA" callback to last season at the gun range. :-)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I think if Alfred switched over to a professional, they'd drop him as soon as he blew another gig or commercial because he didn't want to play along. Even after his time in the woods he's still more interested in having a brawl in a college dorm than just doing the smart thing.

There's a read on the Barbershop episode that it was supposed to be a condensed version of Earn and Alfred's relationship. Yeah, Earn's a mess who drags Alfred along on weird misadventures and almost gets him in trouble with the law, but if Alfred drops Earn he'd be lost.

I really don’t think Al would be lost at all without Earn, if he had a real manager. It doesn’t seem like they were that close before Earn showed back up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Al has been consistently on about "keeping it real" which will likely drive professional management loving nuts, and I doubt he'll take to playing the games that he'll be asked to play.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Al would also probably alienate Clark County's manager considering he doesn't really like Clark County it seems.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Earn's biggest failure is he can't keep Paper Boi supplied with weed. All he needs to be chill is weed and you end up in a confederate frat house with a bunch of naked dancing white guys instead.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
For what it's worth he's still getting Paperboi pretty much all the same gigs as Clark County too. The only big miss that we know of was that he didn't get to do a track for Black Panther, but even in-universe it doesn't seem like they'd pick someone with a harsher image. He's not getting him free stuff, but that's also because Paperboi didn't want to play the Instagram game.

Earn's screwing up a lot by still being stuck in a broke mindset, but Paperboi keeps blowing opportunities too.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
We definitely dont know if Clark County gets gigs other than the ones Paperboi appears at, so Ern could very well not be getting all the same gigs as Clark County's management....

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
he didn't get him that yoohoo commercial, we know that much.

clark county's an industry plant though.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

prom candy posted:

he didn't get him that yoohoo commercial, we know that much.

clark county's an industry plant though.

oh most definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Little Earn sounds like Adult Earn.

"Cool, Rush Hour soundtrack"! :tviv:

"The internet is not a source."

Vernacular posted:

This season had been lackluster so far (especially the whole gimmick of dedicating one episode per person) but this episode felt like a return to form. Ern was not long for his managerial position and the way that arc culminated with his run-in with Tracey felt cathartic.

I have some bad news. We're in another isolated episode and we're...wait, Fubu? Jesus, this takes place in the early 2000s? The 2000s are filter-worthy now? :psyduck:

We're old. :(

e- WHY DID THEY DELETE THE SCENE POSTED ABOVE FROM INSTAGRAM? I busted out laughing and it instantly would've been memorable. :negative:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 4, 2018

• Locked thread