Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Ugh, high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gaunab posted:

Ugh, high school.

Oh, this got dark. :(

The closest we ever got at my schools to news like that was 9/11 in 8th grade when most of the teachers said "I really don't want to do anything today".

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

That episode brought back a lot of memories. The scene with Earn's new shirt getting him attention right away hit me hard. Had something exactly like that happen to me.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Atlanta managed to make their school flashback episode even more depressing than when Louie did their school flashback episode

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Goddamn Al has been bailing Earn out his whole life. Guess he couldn't hack it at Princeton without his cousin

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I was not expecting that. God drat.

Did they do something funky with the audio or does that kid just do a really good Donald Glover voice?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

That shot of Ern and Paperboi sitting on a couch smoking weed, staring down rows of naked frat pledges, while Laffy Taffy plays with the confederate flag as a backdrop is pure gold holy poo poo.

Don't forget the screams of off screen pledges constantly heard throughout the scene too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought that was a very weird season finale but apparently this is an 11-episode season

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm struggling to relate to kids caring so much if a shirt is fake that they kill themselves.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm struggling to relate to kids caring so much if a shirt is fake that they kill themselves.

That was just the tipping point. The kid's family was breaking apart. I was a little older than that kid when my parents divorced so I can understand feeling absolutely lovely about the smallest thing. Getting bullied just added onto the shitpile he was already dealing with.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought they were telegraphing it pretty hard honestly.

I hope something good happens for someone this season, drat.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

cochise posted:

That was just the tipping point. The kid's family was breaking apart. I was a little older than that kid when my parents divorced so I can understand feeling absolutely lovely about the smallest thing. Getting bullied just added onto the shitpile he was already dealing with.

I get the bullying leading to suicide, that's a real thing anyone who went to school in the last 20 years could you that. I guess I'm saying the kids caring about a shirt at all like that is so out of my wheelhouse.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

drunken officeparty posted:

I get the bullying leading to suicide, that's a real thing anyone who went to school in the last 20 years could you that. I guess I'm saying the kids caring about a shirt at all like that is so out of my wheelhouse.

Were you homeschooled? Kids create pecking orders out of the most arbitrary poo poo imaginable

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Were you homeschooled? Kids create pecking orders out of the most arbitrary poo poo imaginable

Maybe, but a 8/9th grader's possible knock-off being such big news on campus that 12th graders get involved seems like a stretch.

Born_to_Lose
Oct 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

Maybe, but a 8/9th grader's possible knock-off being such big news on campus that 12th graders get involved seems like a stretch.

So I could be off base here and would really like input from others, but based off of my impressions watching the episode and comments I've read online from other people, I think it's just hard for white people to relate to this (*disclaimer* I am white). Like, everyone knows how important it is to have the right brands in middlle school/high school, but I think it has a much different significance culturally to black people than it does to white people. The review over at Vulture talks about this, pointing out that Earn's one interaction with his white friend illustrates this. This is the end of the world to Earn (and a huge deal to most of the other kids) but his white friend doesn't really get it, remarking that he's worn the same shirt twice that week. In a larger sense, this whole season has been about seeing how and why people try to stunt on each other, how money and status drive people. This episode takes it back to the birth of those desires.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As a former student of a lovely public high school in the hood and also in the dirty south, the only unbelievable part is that the 12th graders would have found out and/or cared.

The student body at this school seemed much smaller than at mine, though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Little Earn sounds like Adult Earn.

That kid is a spectacular actor, he nailed Earn's whole demeanor.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Born_to_Lose posted:

So I could be off base here and would really like input from others, but based off of my impressions watching the episode and comments I've read online from other people, I think it's just hard for white people to relate to this (*disclaimer* I am white). Like, everyone knows how important it is to have the right brands in middlle school/high school, but I think it has a much different significance culturally to black people than it does to white people. The review over at Vulture talks about this, pointing out that Earn's one interaction with his white friend illustrates this. This is the end of the world to Earn (and a huge deal to most of the other kids) but his white friend doesn't really get it, remarking that he's worn the same shirt twice that week. In a larger sense, this whole season has been about seeing how and why people try to stunt on each other, how money and status drive people. This episode takes it back to the birth of those desires.

You're not off base. The white friend of Earn's says he doesn't get it at all. I'm white but I went to a public high school in New Orleans and all this seemed very familiar.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Black people rag on people at everything it's in the culture. I can make fun of my black coworkers all day but I tip toe around white people. Growing up you see the adults gently caress around with one another and even at the kids, and you kinda have to learn how so yeah making fun of the little niggas clothes is like 100% normal, and overdoing it is a common high school experience. Can't really speak to seniors picking on freshman that feels like the 80s

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did they say anything about when it was supposed to be set? Based on Donald Glover's age it would have been 1997, but if Ern dropped out of undergrad 3 years before season 1, he could be a lot younger than Donald? It really didn't feel like 1997, but I don't think you saw those earrings much into the 2000s.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm white, while I understood the shirt drama now, I would have been exactly like the white kid in the episode who didn't. Every now and then I get flashes of The Boondocks with this show, and the kid picking on Ern could have actually been Riley Freeman. I was surprised by the suicide because I thought the kid was going to get his rear end kicked, not just teased/ostracized.

Veskit posted:

Black people rag on people at everything it's in the culture. I can make fun of my black coworkers all day but I tip toe around white people. Growing up you see the adults gently caress around with one another and even at the kids, and you kinda have to learn how so yeah making fun of the little niggas clothes is like 100% normal, and overdoing it is a common high school experience. Can't really speak to seniors picking on freshman that feels like the 80s

Regarding giving people poo poo, I think that's just a thing some people do and some don't. I don't think it's a white/black thing. Take the Sopranos for instance, those guys bust each others balls all the time. Ern's mom and Aunt had it right that you gotta stand up for yourself to a degree. You don't typically want to turn it back on a guy like the bully because those types are almost always the ones that give it but can't take it in return; but either rolling with the punch or deflecting is a skill you gotta have in those situations. When I worked at Target in North Carolina there was a group of us, white and black, that would rag on each other all the time.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ern (or Al can’t remember) has an Aquemini poster on his wall which wasn’t released until late 1998, and Fubu jerseys were a thing when I was in 10th-11th grade so somewhere in that 98 to 2000 window.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 5, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I think they're about ten years early on someone saying "roasted", too.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Definitely woulda been “crack on” or “diss”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
At one point the teacher was like "take these packets home and fill them out, and remember the internet is not a source." The possibility of the internet being a good source wasn't even a thing in 1998ish and there's no way most of those kids had the internet at home anyway. SHEESH

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Anne Whateley posted:

At one point the teacher was like "take these packets home and fill them out, and remember the internet is not a source." The possibility of the internet being a good source wasn't even a thing in 1998ish and there's no way most of those kids had the internet at home anyway. SHEESH

Dialup started getting big in 1993/1994 and cable internet was definitely around and pretty common in the late 90's. Wikipedia and Google weren't around yet but there were other search engines so a source would likely have been some dumbass' fan page or a history buff's pet project or a university project.

His school likely had Internet, though it would've been in the computer lab or a library computer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
His school would've had internet but she said to take the packets home and do them. Internet at home existed in like 1998, but it was far from universal, and especially in a poor area? My parents had dialup until like 2006, which was unusual, but not weird. I don't think it would've occurred to kids to use Yahoo directories to find some random guy's weblog as a source in like 1998, I don't think we got "the internet is not a source" lectures until like 2002ish.

e: Ern would 100% have been looking up dragon ball z fansites in the library though

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 5, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

His school would've had internet but she said to take the packets home and do them. Internet at home existed in like 1998, but it was far from universal, and especially in a poor area? My parents had dialup until like 2006, which was unusual, but not weird. I don't think it would've occurred to kids to use Yahoo directories to find some random guy's weblog as a source in like 1998, I don't think we got "the internet is not a source" lectures until like 2002ish.

e: Ern would 100% have been looking up dragon ball z fansites in the library though

I graduated in 2001 and we had tons of Internet as source problems, the late 90s wasn't the dark ages.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would tend to agree with Anne but I was also a horrible student so my opinion probably isn’t worth much.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The teacher was 100% talking straight to Ern when she said that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
the obliviousness of the adults at the end is what gets to me. Like hey, you need to wear a suit, clothes matter!

oh thanks, i had not before now at any point realized clothes matter

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

The school episode hit me (and my son) pretty hard. We both kind of knew something pretty bad was going to happen, but I figured it was either going to be the kid getting beat down, or Earn jumping in at the last minute because of pride and getting himself beat down (like he did with Tracy).

It definitely struck a chord with both of us. In the 90s I went through similar poo poo (I'm white, but grew up in a pretty diverse area), I remember multiple times being picked on for something I wore. In a very similar way. I don't know that seniors would have gotten involved over Freshman, but I definitely had issues with some upperclassmen otherwise. I remember as a freshman wearing overalls with one side down (This was in 1990!) and it was before many people in school had caught onto the trend, and sophomores and juniors would pull on the hanging strap when I was walking, and talk poo poo about me not knowing how to dress myself. Fast forward a few months and every single kid that gave me poo poo was wearing them the same way...

My son has seen similar things in school as well (he's a Junior right now). So we both definitely got it.

Veskit posted:

This is so true right here. When I was really little most of my friends were white, and if someone got picked on, moms got involved immediately. But getting a little older and more of my social circle being black and hispanic, everyone ragged on each other. It's definitely part of the culture. The number of times someone would get upset and then everyone would be like "ahhhh come on, we're just snappin' on you man! Everybody does it." It's definitely a cultural thing, I mean, even look at TV Shows like Wild'n Out. That whole show is basically built around cracking on your friends.

Every episode of this show is great though. It's beautiful to look at, the acting is amazing, and the sense of foreboding and dread is ever present. Anytime something is going good, I feel nervousness and anxiety welling up, because you just KNOW something is about to go wrong at any moment!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Totally don't get the song music wise for This is America but Murai's direction was pretty good.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

As a former student of a lovely public high school in the hood and also in the dirty south, the only unbelievable part is that the 12th graders would have found out and/or cared.

The student body at this school seemed much smaller than at mine, though.

yeah this episode brought some extreme flashbacks to houston public schools

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Born_to_Lose posted:

I went to a high school that was 60/40 white to minority when I started and 60/40 the other way by the time I left. The minority population was probably 90% black.

This episode was eerily accurate. I'm white and wasn't really in that crowd in high school, but I thought this episode was 100% accurate based on my experience. I saw kids get clowned on for the dumbest poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I went to a mostly white high school and it was the same there. Kids are assholes and will find any reason to bully other kids.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Replace Fubu with Girbaud jeans and that was my school.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Man, between this season of Atlanta and the last two episodes of Barry and the This Is America video, Hiro Murai is white-hot right now.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

General Dog posted:

Man, between this season of Atlanta and the last two episodes of Barry and the This Is America video, Hiro Murai is white-hot right now.

drat I didn't realize he did those Barry episodes. I looked it up and he also did Ep.6, Season 1 of Legion. Dude is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Did Clark throw his manager under the bus?

• Locked thread