Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Carlosologist posted:

Harden's control over his body's speed and movement is insane, he doesn't need to be remotely the most athletic guy on the court to be the most impactful player

Yeah there is no one else in the league who can change speeds like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rachel Nichols is cool.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol what the hell

LeBron is a gift, man.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's gotta be the hardest food to accurately throw at someone, but I guess JR has never been afraid to force a low percentage shot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lookit the guy who's never been in a foodfight. Soup is like a shotgun dude. Wide range.

If you're at close range sure but if you're trying to get any sort of distance you're just going to spray innocent bystanders with broth. Irresponsible, if you ask me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yes. That's it. Certainly not the fact that he's probably their most recognizable name other than Garnett.

Paracaidas posted:

"that mug Teague" is the tell here.

Also re: the Butler tweet about Crowder, those two played together in college and are friends so I assume it wasn't too serious

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

I think they dislike each other. Got in a scuffle last year and some reporters mentioned at the time that they aren't on friendly terms.

Crowder was laughing about it after the game, said they were friends, and is currently sending joke tweets to Butler

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah LeBron has the shaq thing where a lot of contact is ignored because he's so strong that it's hard to notice when you see it live

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Panzeh posted:

Lebron ducks his shoulder all the time into people on fast breaks and somehow they get called for fouling his shoulder.

He also doesn't get called for defensive fouls very often.

he doesn't commit them very often

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Kobe short loving sucks and also he is a rapist

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I seem to recall jokes about his wife getting new jewelry being made after a press conference for some reason.

He got her a giant multimillion dollar ring around the time of the trial and they stayed together. Eventually the narrative became that all he did wrong was cheat on his wife and had to buy her forgiveness and the whole thing became kind of a big joke, even though he literally said that his accusor did not consent.

Really the only good thing that might come out of his awful self agrandizing cartoon winning is that maybe this coming up again will remind people that Kobe is a huge piece of poo poo, because he basically got to skate on that entirely after 2005 or so.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Even before he fell off a cliff it was still a bad deal that Cleveland had no choice over because they couldn't afford to loose him and had no ability to find a comparable replacement

Also clutch sports

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I do generally agree with you, but also find it hard to deny that One and Done factories like Kansas, Arizona and Duke develop players at a clip that maybe even NBA teams (since the top prospects actually spend most of their time with the main clubs) don't match. I don't really know how to reconcile this.

Well yeah they get better prospects

Dexo posted:

Eh, I dunno, Kanas couldn't use Wiggins for poo poo, and Duke couldn't use a talent like Jabari well at all either.

College Coaches have a tendency to say gently caress whatever you are good at, it's all about how you fit into my system.

What was wrong with how Duke used Jabari?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

could be mistaken, but I distinctly remember him standing in a corner a bunch rather than being given the ball and using his athleticism.

He's not really an elite athlete but they featured him heavily and he had a really high usage. They also let him play on the perimeter a lot and show off skills he needed to develop for the NBA even though he's really best as a small ball 4

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Fultz never had a sweet stroke or anything, right? I don't, like, scout guys or anything but I did watch some clips and I don't recall thinking he had a particularly graceful shot. His shooting was more in line with "effective tool" than a defining trait. That shot form looks like it's probably fine.

I dunno that I'd want to bring him into the lineup right now, especially when the 5th or even 4th seed is within grasp (winning a playoff series would be huge, and that means avoiding 6,7,8). So his season is probably done but he looks like whatever was going on is behind him.

He shot really well from 3 in college but didn't have that rep going in and wasn't a great free throw shooter so it was probably kinda flukey.

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

Well the shot seems improved, or at least less obnoxiously awkward. I guess I don't see how it would hurt to start giving him in game practice on limited minutes

Putting a guy who is struggling with confidence in a situation where he is basically guranteed to fail seems like a thing that would probably hurt him a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Buncha prudes can't handle a little casual labia talk

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

He can help this year if he's fixed, and it will be good for him to play.

I really doubt either of these things are true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Yall should be putting more respect on KAT when talking about young franchise bigs.

I mean he is obviously really really good but that period where people where saying he had already passed Davis is looking increasingly silly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Cuban being a creep is the least surprising news in NBA history

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/971763219558797312?s=19

Let's goooo

Knight's of Le Bron let's goooo

He has not lost a first round playoff game since 2012 lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The past is trash, give me Durant

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

creamcorn posted:

I feel like Hakeem would be even better in the modern game than he was historically; his touch and footwork were impeccable. If the corner three was being emphasized like it is now, he’d have been capable of developing the ability to shoot those.

It's harder to score on post ups now because zone is legal and 2/3 of the league isn't starting some talentless stiff like Greg Ostertag whose only skill is being big anymore

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A seven foot guy who can shoot 40% from three and handle like a guard does not actually seem super easy to replace to me

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
why are so many of you calling him akeem? that isn't his name, it was a mistake people not used to Muslim names made that he was too scared to correct

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Force of habit from long long ago, I actually thought the translation from Arabic it didn't matter, I didn't know he had a preference.

Akeem is meaningless in Arabic, and why would he have changed it if he didn't have a preference?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

No coach in the world would be sadistic enough to allow durant to guard Ewing or Shaq in the post.

I dunno they seemed okay letting Luc Longley do it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

Every team in the league had a 280 pound 7 foot post scorer and no-zone defense rules which left the defender on an island. reminder that Durant was a 2 coming out of college and weighed less than my left leg.

He was a 2 because his coach was dumb, he'd never played there before.

I think 90s coaches probably would have figured out that one of the best perimeter scorers in the history of basketball should play on the perimeter though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Huh?

What is the dumb Wilt Chamberlain argument?

I assume that he was good because everyone guarding him was a 5'10" car salesman

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Oh no I reserve that mocking for Bob Cousy highlights.

Those rule, dude barely used his left hand and couldn't look up while he drbbled and racist dudes from Boston still think he was the best ballhandler of all time

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Hakeem started at 17 and was drafted after 3 years in college .

Hakeem and Durant are the most famous 6'9" people who are 7" tall as well

Huh? Hakeem was always listed at 7 feet and was probably actually shorter, that's the opposite of what Durant does. Durant is like KG. He doesn't want to be a center so he's 6'13"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Robinson at 29 is a crime of some sort

Didn't know The Secret

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Bill Simmons is a very serious basketball thinker.

He probably is way more knowledge about football at this point because of gambling.

have you heard him talk about football becuase lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CRISPYBABY posted:

My favourite part of reading the Ringer is when you see an article that's some dumb ranking of things based on an arbitrary point system (This is a recurring theme) and you just know Simmons greasy little face was squealing with delight when he saw it.

I mean to be fair a lot of this is Shea Serrano and he's doing it as a joke

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

How come Bob Cousy still dribbles with one hand but Hakeem gets a three point shot when we're doing these comparisons?

I was team Durant, ask someone else. I think there's probs a slight difference between Hakeem adding a few feet to his jumper and Cousy going from average 4th grader dribbling to elite nba point guard though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

The palming rules were different in couseys time.
You couldn't do stuff they do today.

I'm defending a Celtic so you know it must be true .

Lol he looks down while he dribbles come on

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Y'all can have Rubio back

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/971574088668868609

That's a good way to get people to continue talking about mental health Royce, you clod. Definitely insult people for realizing that they're wrong and demand credit for inventing mental iillness

Also the problem was less about your acknowledgment of your mental struggles and more that it's incredibly hard to fuckin bus around a marginal NBA talent all over the country

The flying thing was way overblown. He didn't like flying if he could avoid it but he would do it. He wasn't demanding a bus. He flew to games in college.

I agree he shouldn't be making GBS threads on the other guys struggling with mental health issues, but he's right that the reaction he got was a lot different and people were way less supportive. I'd probably be upset about that too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 10, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The degree to which they were accomodating him tends to vary depending on which side you ask, I don't think we know for a fact that they were being as supportive as they could have been. And either way he's right that the public perception was a lot different for him than it has been for Love. Even before he got to the league it was generally treated as a big joke and everyone focused entirely on the fear of flying thing, even though that was a very minor part of his problems.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 10, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Knights of Lebron, assemble

I feel like I was pretty close to the only non heat fan still rooting for him back then. It was very lonely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zoux posted:

Is Grayson Allen NBA caliber, I know nothing about except I hate him

It probably depends on who drafts him but it wouldn't be as anything more than a shooter off the bench.

• Locked thread