Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

french toast posted:

They said on the LeBatard show that JR Smith threw a bowl of soup at Damon Jones.

RIP 2018 Cavaliers. It was six years ago this March that Earl posted that one photo and was fined $2.5 million USD or something.

Jack's Flow posted:

Always funny to check out crazy Davis stats on Basketball-Reference and get a reminder that the guy is just 24 years old.

code:
Multiple 50+ GmSc games (since 1984):

Player 			#
Michael Jordan		4
Kobe Bryant		2
Anthony Davis		2

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jim Gray is universally despised and a fake journalist. You may be right. We can go back in time and announce that three friends have decided they want to play basketball and win a championship together, their agents could have dropped hints so that it wasn't seen as a betrayal, boom ESPN is saved from becoming Takes Takes Takes R Us and wouldn't be in such a psychic freefall. They'd be showing dirt track midget racing, sumo, boxing, jet boat river racing, live from thailand muay thai matches, and edge NFL matchup esque shows fo r all the sports. Sports fans would be wiser, more well rounded, and not jukeboxes of pro take havers soundbites. I think you should build this time machine.

ESPN needs to bring back paintball tournaments, scrabble and exercise shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ joins the 30K/8K/8K club. We might not see that again this century.

LBJ has played fifteen straight seasons of 35+ MPG. We might not see that again this century.

LBJ has the second greatest PTS/PF ratio in NBA history:

code:
PTS/PF		Player
15.14		Wilt Chamberlain
14.65		LeBron James
14.25		Kevin Durant
13.91		Derrick Rose
13.71		Allen Iverson
12.93		Dominique Wilkins
12.46		Kemba Walker
11.94		Michael Redd
11.62		Jimmy Butler
11.60		Michael Jordan
11.39		Mark Price
11.06		Tracy McGrady

:lol:

Lockback posted:

Ben Simmons...has yet to hit an NBA 3

ROY DQ.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dirk is now in the hallowed 31K club.

Nearly ten years since Kobe jumped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YcDqnA7xX4

Cool Buff Man posted:

Her frickin voice is like nails on chalkboard jeez louise

She has nothing on Rachael Ray however.

LBJ should go to the Raptors to ensure his finals streak continues. LBJ if you're reading this...force a trade to the Raptors now!@!@!@

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Papercut posted:

I mean Magic is a top-5 player of all time most likely...

https://youtu.be/Jo-i0nskgQQ?t=23s

Paul Zuvella posted:

its really funny to me how good the raptors have been this year and I have literally 0 confidence that they will succeed in the playoffs.

BBR currently has them as the title favorites. I do not agree with this but still remarkable.

DeimosRising posted:

Which currently hot teams are doing the annual “hot streak at the end of the year makes a mediocre team look good” maneuver? Everyone then overrates them going into the next season and are shocked when it doesn’t carry over

76ers/Hornets have the easiest schedules to close the season.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Why in the world are we comparing Durant to Hakeem...

Last year someone said that if Wilt played right now he'd be DeAndre Jordan. :discourse:

NBA owners remind me more of villains from Road House by the day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDMfIPRm7jY

Time posted:

It cannot be overstated how bad some of those rockets squads were outside of Hakeem. The first ring he won is probably the worst basketball team to win a ring in the modern era outside of Hakeem. Vernon maxwell was a key player

Based on the career numbers...Otis Thorpe is one of the most underrated players in NBA history.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CRISPYBABY posted:

Is there any place that it gives you per game stats based on a subset of their game log?

If you open a game log page and then sort the data by clicking on a header and then click two separate rows of data it'll open up a window that shows averages etc.

Lockback posted:

I mean, Lillard is probably in that somewhat crowded 3rd tier of "probably not MVP but worth kicking around", and 1 or 2 of those guys will end up on 4th and 5th place ballots, so "Dark Horse MVP Candidate" is probably not strictly wrong.

#1 PG in WS this year. Due to Curry coasting.

Panzeh posted:

seemed like a decent post to me

https://youtu.be/Q-bDppEz23c?t=1m42s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

In a Warriors/Rockets series, I think the matchup is so close because both teams are essentially even. GSW might have the advantage because of their experience playing together deep in the playoffs but man the Rockets are so good

The Rockets have a junky D FG% relative to league average. It's always been the kiss of death for title teams. Although this team remains somewhat intriguing due to their having three of the top four WS/48 players right now. Their level of synergy is unprecedented in the annals of the NBA so they're an anomaly right now.

OTOH, the Warriors are in that weird situation where they've won so much that it's becoming detrimental. Kerr has said their brains are fried. Winning every year becomes a burden.

Paul Zuvella posted:

What kind of loving dumb-rear end idiot is going to give a billionaire a $35,000 interest free loan

Millionaires/billionaires can get huge loans with zero interest. I wonder what they're going to do with all this fan cash.

R.D. Mangles posted:

how dare you nic cage owns

speaking of cage, this dude should have gotten a fuckin oscar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-i0nskgQQ

No Oscar for this either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Offensively? Sure, I don't think he'd be able to keep up with everything Durant can do. Players like Durant didn't exist back then but I could be wrong! David Robinson was awesome

I will accept this as well

David Robinson was capable of doing a 70 point QD. I'm not sure KD will ever do it.

DR also had a 20 WS season. In the last 45 years only LBJ and MJJ can also say that.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ewing was real good...I think he's hurt by playing at roughly the same time as Hakeem, Robinson and Shaq, because there would have been large chunks of time where he would've been considered the best centre in the game.

What large chunks?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

D. Rose has the staying power of a horror franchise monster.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Looks a lot better. I just can't help but think he's going to get blocked a whole lot due to his shot being so slow and low but Lonzo is doing fine so who knows

Lonzo has turned a corner. He's no longer the worst scorer this year:

code:
NP	Player
349.32	James Harden
340.64	Stephen Curry
338.4	LeBron James
329.64	Kevin Durant
309.6	Karl-Anthony Towns
308.28	Anthony Davis
272.84	Giannis Antetokounmpo
259.72	Damian Lillard
256.04	Kyrie Irving
222.48	Klay Thompson

-26.92	Josh Huestis
-27.68	Marcus Smart
-29.16	Michael Carter-Williams
-35.36	Malik Monk
-36.64	Lonzo Ball
-38.76	Josh Jackson
-44.68	Tyler Ulis
-45.68	Jawun Evans
-49.24	Dennis Smith
-53.52	Frank Ntilikina

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CRISPYBABY posted:

Kinda in that part of the season where I'm just waiting on the playoffs to start, but at the same time I'm glad the Raptors schedule is backloaded against their rivals, e.g they have 2 games left each against Cleveland and Boston. Should be good playoff practice/ you're in control of your own fate chasing the top seed because you make sure Boston takes more L's if you're taking care of business.

They play Boston, Cleveland, Boston on March 31, April 3, and April 4. That's gonna be a motherfucker of a week.

CLE has an SRS of 0.0 right now. That's hard to do even when trying. :eyepop:

Tae posted:

edit: Also barely related, but I hope this guy never even makes it to college ball

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/972564446412509185

He could join the Warriors and be the latest to fulfill the John Chaney "send in the goon" role.

Crazy Ted posted:

Are we supposed to asterisk his 100-point game or something?

It should have an asterisk that also notes that no two teammates have reached 100 in a single NBA game outside of Wilt 100.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Time posted:

Otis Thorpe had a HoF career but a pretty bad season in 93-94. Injuries had caught up to him and he was playing pretty mediocre ball (for him).

He played all 105 games and 3,700+ minutes and had the second highest WS/48 of his career. Injuries?

Papercut posted:

Why is this on basketball reference? Lol

ESPN allows their writers to change/update their info post hoc. ESPN writers got caught changing their playoff predictions to the actual results a few times later on. Nearly all of ESPN had the Lakers defeating the Mavericks in the 2011 playoffs. Then a few months later all the picks were reversed to Dallas as one example.

BBR preserves this craziness for derision.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

...KD acts like what he did was the hard path. I HATED LeBron after The Decision (which was dumb of me) but LeBron never insulted my intelligence.

It is hard to take on the hatred of the whole sports world. To pack your bags and leave the safe pastures of OKC to go into the wildlands of California. KD climbed Mount Olympus and took the risk of being exposed among the Warrior elites. He knew the risks of losing the 2017 finals but he accepted them.

In a mere few months KD will most likely add an additional ring and then people will have to kiss both of his hands.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chris Bosh on post-playing frustrations: ‘I definitely see why the divorce rate is so high, and why players go broke’
https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-bosh-post-playing-frustrations-182201003.html

Wilt Chamberlain and David Robinson. The only two players to do QDs and 70+ point games.

Time posted:

In 93-94 he had similar stats to Jakob poeltl this year. He was ok at best, and the second best player on the team

That guy is hanging around 4 WS this year and scoring only six PPG.

I am skeptical that Jakob Poeltl and Hakeem win the 1994 title.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Time posted:

I went to probably 30 games that season and the discussion was always “why is he playing/ why don’t they give him some rest for his hip and ankle/ are they not seeing his noticeable limp”

By the time the playoffs rolled around he was absolutely cooked and the original thing we were discussing was how bad the supporting cast around Hakeem was when he won. It was bad. injured but still playing Otis wasn’t some pippen to his Jordan in the playoffs

Sometimes old narratives and original assessments become increasingly erroneous as time goes on and in light of new evidence. As Carl Sagan once said, "Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves." You have an Hakeem avatar so I cannot fault you for putting him on a pedestal.

Old narratives wash away like sand on the seashore. The stats do not. I let go of Bulls 1990s narratives a long time ago. If I didn't I'd still be praising Jordan as the GOAT and Pippen as the most versatile. The Lakers/Spurs only won titles in 1999-2002 because Jordan left the Bulls etc. Let the past die. Kill it...if you have to.

I agree Thorpe was not prime Pippen but to call that team with Robert Horry and Otis Thorpe bad is an overstatement. Thorpe's stats in the playoffs don't reflect on a player who's been cooked, gassed, grilled, sautéed, fricasseed or any other cooking term superlatives! No single player surrounded by a team of badness can win a title no matter their power levels and abilities. 1960s Wilt proves this.

Derrick Rose to doubters: “I don’t need your f****** validation”
https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-rose-doubters-don-t-003319174.html

"I’m 29, they’re acting like I’m 39. I’m still able to push the ball up the floor, they’re acting like I’m in a wheelchair.

...[the Timberwolves medical staff] looked at my physical, they couldn’t believe how my body was in good shape. ...you probably think I walk with a limp, you probably think I’m wearing ice bags every day...You could have your perspective on me, as far as I’m a bum, I can’t play, I can’t shoot...I’m cool with that."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Every time I see Wiggins play I am impressed by his technique and athleticism, and then surprised by the way he struggles. I'd like to believe he's just young and will improve but I guess history proves that that's not very likely at this point, right Zogo?

It's early and he could still turn it around. For the amount of minutes he's played from 18-22 years of age he's low.

10,000+ MP from 18-22 sorted by WS:

code:
Player			MP	WS
LeBron James		13061	49.3
Dwight Howard		11802	38.4
Kevin Durant		11930	38.2
Tracy McGrady		10746	35.5
Kobe Bryant		10362	35.2
Chris Bosh		10936	32.4
Carmelo Anthony		11030	27.6
Tony Parker		10353	27.1
Giannis Antetokounmpo	10106	27
Kevin Garnett		10290	26.6
Stephon Marbury		10212	21.7
Josh Smith		10129	16.1
Andrew Wiggins		11322	12

zoux posted:

Lol AD had a triple double with 10 blocks

I was looking at older TDs with less than ten assists. This one could've been the saddest QD ever:

code:
11/16/74
Starters	FG	FGA	TRB	AST	STL	BLK	PTS
Larry Steele	4	13	11	9	10	0	12

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

He was solid but yeah, "carried" All of Allen's beef-airing in the book sounds really lame though

Ray Allen said he has OCD (this allows him to shoot 10,000 3P shots a day) so he's probably been raging in his head about innocuous one-off comments people said to him thirty years ago.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Are Raptors fans terrified by the idea of the Cavs dropping to the 4 seed? Or is this finally the year they Have What It Takes to defeat LeBron regardless of round?

It looks like this is the year they have what it takes. A team with an SRS over 8 losing to a team with a negative SRS in the playoffs. I don't think that's ever happened.

If things don't change LBJ will just have huge games and the Cavaliers will let the Raptors score at will.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CRISPYBABY posted:

It's weird. Usually I cheer for the Raptors emotionally and then have the intelligent part of my brain saying "eh it's probably not happening". This year the Raptors analytics are fantastic and the East is more open than it has been since Lebron went to Miami. By any reasonable analysis they're the favourites for coming out of the east.

They simultaneously have a franchise best ORtg and DRtg (relative to league average) so far. And by far their highest SRS.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

That SRS factors in the whole season, I'd imagine. What's their SRS been over the past 12 games? I guess still close to 0.0 if their record is 6-6.

Their MOV over the last dozen is 1.25

Their RC% is going to continue to decrease as the season closes out as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dokmo posted:

There's some circularity in saying team x made the finals without a star, then saying they had player y who was really good. Y should have been a star but wasn't seen as such at the time—so did his team win because he was a secret star or did he become a star because his team won games and he was the best player on X? I've had this argument many times, which seems to be a clue that there's no one way to answer it.

Both but in that instance it's a lot easier to peg him as a secret star in hindsight as he had six consecutive seasons of being within the top ten of WS/48 from 2003-2008.

That puts him alone with Duncan (eight seasons), LBJ (ten seasons) and CP3 (eleven seasons) this century.

Cool Buff Man posted:

What teams did that

Bypassing the semantical discussion of what a "star" is these finalists from the last forty years had WS/48 player rankings comparable to the 2018 Raptors:

code:
1976 Suns
1978 SuperSonics
1979 Bullets
1999 Knicks
2002 Nets
2003 Nets

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't seen such a contrast since:
https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/920486718100398080/photo/1

Lolo Jones is on the attack too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CPzso2QBg

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Did this Lakers usher make Jack Nicholson show his ticket? :eyepop:
https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-usher-make-jack-nicholson-show-ticket-get-seat-034858068.html

euphronius posted:

Why would a millionaire deal petty amounts of weed

He saw what happened to Esteban Loiza and downsized:
http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/03/08/former-mlb-pitcher-esteban-loaiza-now-faces-federal-drug-charge/

Great moments in Glen Davis' history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FE4tSpiCc

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

Wow the Warriors lose Klay and Steph when they have a stretch against the Kings, Suns, dead Spurs and Hawks. loving lol

Warriors have initiated vacation mode for the next month.

Ghost Dog posted:

the refs have been garbo and will continue to be until lebron hits an adequately high FTR for the season instead of the near career low he has so far despite attacking the basket more often and better than like everyone in the goddamn league im fine if the difference is entirely made up in one series vs the toronto raptors.
godbless

Lowest FTr since his rookie year. LBJ made enemies in high places.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ did 35/17/0 TOVs. That's never been done.

Legend: LeBron James gained seven pounds during game
https://sports.yahoo.com/legend-lebron-james-gained-seven-161302337.html

Joel Berry II passes Michael Jordan on UNC all-time career scoring list
https://sports.yahoo.com/joel-berry-ii-passes-michael-jordan-north-carolina-time-career-scoring-list-tar-heels-win-lipscomb-220721114.html

morestuff posted:

Dwight Howard with the most who-gives-a-poo poo 30-30 game since Kevin Love got the last one

He did it in 34 minutes which might be the fewest ever. If he plays the full 48 he's close to that elusive 40/40 game not done since 1964. Wilt had eight 40/40 games.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

522 people have played in the NBA this year and there's still a month left. That shatters the previous high mark. It remains to be seen if this is the new norm or just an odd season. If this happens each year then the NBA is moving more toward the MLB with larger rosters and more random guys getting minutes as the season winds down before the playoff rosters are set.

Here are isolated 2NP, 3NP and FTNP charts. I've marked ~a dozen notable good/bad seasons in each one. Now you can print them out and post them on your wall.

As you can see 1967 Wilt was the greatest 2P scorer ever and just a year later 1968 Wilt was the worst FT shooter ever.

2NP is a stat that shows how Wilt then Kareem then Barkley then Shaq and finally LBJ have dominated 2P scoring. And why everyone in the 1940s and 1950s didn't want to shoot the ball. Except for Joe Fulks who owns the worst five 2P shooting seasons all to himself.

To dominate in FTNP one must go to the line a lot and also shoot ~80% or better.

2016 Curry might have the greatest 3P shooting season for a long, long time.

More charts to come another day...

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 22, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

So are those all Harden over the last few years

Yea, Harden was the leader in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Durant was the leader in 2013 and 2014. Westbrook is that #2 guy pretty high up there last year. It's the most consistently high FT shooting any players have done.

The Glumslinger posted:

Zogo, they expanded roster sizes by 2 slots, thats a huge reason why the number of players would go up

Yea, I wonder what effects this will have over the next 5-10 years.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 22, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Lonzo just shot 2/15 and 1/12 from deep

Kemba Walker just shot 13/18 and 10/14 from deep and 10/10 from the line. Basically a top ten shooting performance all-time.

Bad company:
code:
Date		Tm	Opp	Result		MOV
12/17/1991	CLE	MIA	W 148-80	68
2/27/1998	IND	POR	W 124-59	65
3/19/1972	LAL	GSW	W 162-99	63
12/25/1960	SYR	NYK	W 162-100	62
11/2/1991	GSW	SAC	W 153-91	62
3/22/2018	CHA	MEM	W 140-79	61

The Glumslinger posted:

Lonzo's shooting from the field this season has been so bad, I'd completely forgotten that he is shooting 46% from the FT line

He had a brief respite where he let Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith take over the worst shooter mantle. But he wanted it back.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

With that 16 seed defeating a 1 seed the NCAA perfect bracket just got a lot harder. Some were taking it for granted that the 1v16 was a given 1 win in their probability estimates for a perfect bracket. Now that once empirical fact is forever nullified.

iamsosmrt posted:

I probably shouldn't put too much stock into the Sixers last two games right? I mean in the sense that those teams are more blatantly tanking rather than the Sixers being that dominant.

You shouldn't put too much stock in any 1-2 game stretch (especially the remaining 150+ games). Good/bad teams are unofficially vacationing/super tanking now. So the middle teams will be feasting and looking like superheroes.

NickRoweFillea posted:

How on earth do Phoenix and Memphis have the same record? Is Phoenix that bad? The Grizzlies are unwatchable, but at least Phoenix has some nice young players.

PHX is the worst in the league.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sheriff posted:

Yeah, some of the local San Antonio guys are trying to spin it as “yes a meeting took place, but it wasn’t tense at all, the team just wanted to know how Kawhi was doing”, but it’s coming across as a non-sequitur since nobody is denying the fact that the meeting came as a surprise to Kawhi, he had to “stand his ground” in the meeting, he was “reminded” that the team is fighting for a playoff spot, and oh yeah, “some” of his teammates voiced their support for him.

And honestly, even if you forget about this meeting , Pop, Manu, and Tony Parker have now all said some pretty damning stuff about Kawhi’s situation. At this point I think we’re beyond questioning if there is discontent there, it’s a matter of how much.

It looks like the great Spurs dynasty led by David Robinson and Tim Duncan may finally be coming to an end after a nearly thirty year reign. Nothing lasts forever. Tony/Manu have very cooked stats.

Pop already said he would've been fired ~20 years ago if TD wasn't around.

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's not how things work with a terrible team so kindly refrain from using ortg /drtg to judge individual players. Jeez louise

A good/great player on a trash team can easily have a positive NRtg.

Kibner posted:

Check out these looks the Pels were willingly giving Lonzo on his 1/12 from 3 shooting night:

It's just plain rude.

He should've been allowed to play the whole season and really earn that worst LA Laker shooter season of all-time.

With a name like that hopefully he embodies the very best of LeBron, Kobe and Steve.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Condolences to the 2010-2014 heat

Great moments in NBA history. That time Bashez and RCarr commandeered the Heat buses in 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlCLzJbo82M

Dejan Bimble posted:

What's your test for rookie of the year?

Ben Simmons could conceivably finish with the third or fourth most rookie WS this young century:

code:
Player			Season		WS
Chris Paul		2005-06		10.4
Blake Griffin		2010-11		9.8
Yao Ming		2002-03		8.7
Karl-Anthony Towns	2015-16		8.3
Pau Gasol		2001-02		7.6
Elton Brand		1999-00		7.5
Dwight Howard		2004-05		7.3
Andrei Kirilenko	2001-02		7.3
Ben Simmons		2017-18		7.3
He's on pace for 8.5 WS right now.

Spite posted:

It's Houston's to lose at this point. GSW's offense doesn't work without Steph. KD could go ballistic but he's going to have to play DPOY level and score 40 a night for them to be competitive.

I believe that KD and the Warriors in general have been coasting this regular season. Last finals he put up the best shooting and overall production in NBA finals history.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dunking on stick bugs.

Spacebump posted:

How is Houston going to get to the finals if CP3 is allergic to conference finals? Did a certain root beer barrel cure him?

This year CP3 shall go to the WCF and then everyone can adjust the narrative to "CP3 has never been to the finals!" Then in a future year the narrative can be augmented again to "CP3 doesn't have a ring!" Then "CP3 only has one ring!"

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is Westbrook even shooting above 30% from 3 this year?

AI and RW have remarkably similar FG shooting numbers (excluding 2002 and 2003 AI doing jaw-dropping chucking).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Major milestone event in the LBJ vs. MJJ legacy debate:

code:
Player		BLK
Michael Jordan	893
LeBron James	887
LBJ soon will have control over three of the five major statistical categories. Next year LBJ will take control of PTS as well. Then MJJ will only control STLs.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Yes, it used to be just single selection but now it's a ballot with 2nd and 3rd place votes.

Probably still possible for a tie although it's less likely.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Coasting and losing interest and/or gas are two sides of the same coin

There's some overlap but there's a decent amount of evidence that veteran teams can turn it way up in the playoffs. Those early 2000s Lakers teams come to mind.

KD joining last year was a really unique booster shot to a team that'd won 73 the year prior. I can only imagine if the Bulls had added David Robinson or Shaq a season after winning 72 games. Although each successive year it's less likely that CLE and GSW will meet again. No teams had met in three straight finals before last year. Having them both do four straight would be :popeye:.

PS KD is way taller than CP3.

Nick Young is going to lead the team in games played by a wide margin.
:ok:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe in 02 but in 03 they were just gassed. 2012 Heat looked vulnerable but had a bunch of BS veteran shooting efforts out of no where saved up for the playoffs, the 2013 Heat didn't have anything extra to give. Point is it's hard to actually tell until after the fact if a veteran team is coasting but has one more burst left in them or just running in fumes

The warriors are younger than those teams and had Durant come over in between, but keeping an ultra competitive team playing at a high level is hard and around three straight finals appearances is when things get dicey

WRT Lakers coasting I'm primarily talking about the 2001 team that won 56 games with an SRS of 3.74 and also ranked 21st of 29 teams in DRtg.

The thing about the 2018 Warriors is that they've basically locked into the 2 seed with their two best players sitting out a lot and playing only ~3,700 minutes. A light load for the two best players on a team. Whereas, the gassed 2003 Lakers had Kobe/Shaq play nearly 6,000 minutes in the regular season to get a junky 5 seed. Then rather than importing new elite talent they imported old Karl and old Gary.

As far as the 2012 and 2013 Heat it would be impossible to prove their elites were coasting much. LBJ almost reached 20 WS in 2013 and 15 WS in that shortened 2012 season.

There are different kinds of coasting of course. This GSW team is more of the sit out and relax variety as Durant/Curry/Thompson have put up very elite aggregate numbers despite each missing a lot of time. Other coasting involves a player obviously dialing it way back like LBJ and others some years.

History is against the Warriors in one regard in that the last time a team won three titles non-consecutively over a four year period was the 1966-1969 Celtics. But Durant remains the X factor.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

"actually, it's ephebebelbiphial"

One of those immutable tautological gambits that invariably leads to an ipso facto probation and/or ban. :ok:

He's reminding me more of Karl Malone lately. That most definitely looks like a Malone dunk.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 26, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mandrel posted:

Durant is super soft and melts down in the playoffs when he’s the focal point of the offense (or even one of two focal points). Maybe he’ll be different now, but the only thing that changed for him since OKC was moving to a roster where teams literally can’t even afford to double team him or play him close in the NBA Finals. He’s looked like who he always was when running a gimpy Warriors roster.

which don’t get me wrong is still enough to at least get to the second round but if it’s up to Durant to run the team they probably won’t get past most of their potential matchups there

If Green/Thompson/Curry all remain injured throughout the playoffs then I do believe GSW may be in trouble.

The team is still coming off what should've been a 16-0 playoff run with Durant. It's been said that Durant is soft and gelatinous but I like his Finals GmSc/48 from last year:

Tae posted:

So the last month of the regular season just got interesting for the West, because Kerr declared Curry out for the 1st round.

Extended vacation time.

Spacebump posted:

Who are considered the contenders this year by everyone here? I have Houston, Golden State, Toronto, and Cleveland. It's funny because I'm hesitant to put Toronto on but really those doubts should be on Cleveland. Hard to not put a LeBron James team on the contender list.

HOU, GSW, TOR are the surface level analysis/casual contenders this year. Empirically speaking only the GSW are totally in-line with all the team measurements (which is a little peculiar). So this might be a year where something new happens.

If LBJ defeats TOR it will be sadly hilarious.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 26, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NYK has a 38% RC this year. Last year they were at 37%, then 42%, then 39%. No team in NBA history has had such low numbers in four consecutive years. Gross mismanagement.

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm feeling lovely about the spurs' season...what do you guys think of this trade? kawhi for kemba walker, their 1st, and maybe hernagomez...anyway, just some venting. wondered what people would think of it

The Spurs need to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnPvbfogeSI&t=102s

it up.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I also couldn’t use it to buy League Pass from India for $1.50 a month. :lol:

Prices in India for everything are awesome.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Toronto might be able to score with them, but I don't know who they have to throw at Lebron.

I believe they'll let LBJ go crazy and put up gigantic stat lines. The problem is that the Cavaliers seem unable to stop any team from scoring. Still ranked 29th of 30 in DRtg this year. It wouldn't be a big deal if CLE had the greatest offense in NBA history or something but they don't.

Tae posted:

The warriors have been poo poo with durant as their best player. Like middling offense at best.

Hypothetically, if Curry is out against HOU it could be worrisome. GSW had a 109.6 ORtg in sixteen games with Durant in and Curry out. Still better than average but not very strong. Although sixteen games isn't much to build a case on.

No matter what happens I'd be surprised if Durant replicates his scoring production from last finals. He shattered the standard for finals scoring last year:

No minutes data for 1947-1954 and 1956 finals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bulls Bracket Madness: Will Derrick Rose or Michael Jordan be crowned champion?
https://sports.yahoo.com/bulls-bracket-madness-derrick-rose-214448555.html

Charlz Guybon posted:

If he ages like Malone, his final stat line is going to be insane. 40k/11k/11k is not out of the question.

If LBJ gets another 500-600 regular season games it'll be good.

Tonight LBJ can tie MJJs 10+ points streak at 866 games.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy poo poo the Warriors lost? How much more do the Rockets need to do to lock up the top seed?

The Rockets have the #1 seed for good.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

code:
GmSc	Player			Date
46	Karl-Anthony Towns	3/28/2018
42.7	Karl-Anthony Towns	11/30/2016
41.5	Kevin Garnett		1/4/2005
41	Kevin Garnett		2/16/2003
41	Kevin Love		12/22/2013
40.9	Al Jefferson		1/27/2008
40.8	Corey Brewer		4/11/2014
40	Kevin Love		3/23/2012
LeBron James runs double-digit streak to 866 games, tying Michael Jordan's all-time record
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/03/28/lebron-james-runs-double-digit-streak-866-tying-michael-jordans-record

LeBron James on season's Kia MVP chase: 'I would vote for me'
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/03/28/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-would-vote-himself-kia-mvp-award

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some other streaks:

code:
Player 			First 		Last 		8+ PTS Games (Regular Season)
LeBron James		2005-01-03	2018-03-27	1027
Michael Jordan		1984-10-26	2001-12-26	956
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1977-12-04	1987-12-02	787
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1969-10-18	1977-04-10	631
Karl Malone		1991-12-18	1999-03-26	575

Player 			First 		Last 		6+ PTS Games (Including playoffs)
LeBron James		2005-01-03	2018-03-27	1244
Michael Jordan		1984-10-26	2002-03-31	1168
Shaquille O'Neal	1992-11-06	2005-02-16	1020
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1977-12-04	1988-02-26	956
Karl Malone		1991-12-18	2001-04-17	880
MJJ will hold onto this record for a long time:

code:
Player 			First 		Last 		8+ PTS Games (Including playoffs)
Michael Jordan		1984-10-26	2001-12-26	1135
LeBron James		2005-01-03	2014-05-26	885
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1969-10-18	1977-05-13	699
Karl Malone		1991-12-18	1999-03-26	675
Kevin Durant		2009-03-14	2017-02-27	653

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-James Harden TOVs are way down this year compared to last.

-The NBA has the highest eFG% ever this year.

-CP3 has been ranked within the top 8 of WS/48 for eleven consecutive seasons. Others to accomplish that (number of consecutive years):

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1970-1983 (14)
Oscar Robertson 1961-1971 (11)

R.D. Mangles posted:

here is a post about April Fools: Gar Forman and John Paxson

Right now I wish to teleport myself into Jerry Reinsdorf's office for a speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUMytNKa0c&t=81s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Durant: I thought championship would fill void, but it didn’t
https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-durant-thought-championship-fill-011101963.html

KD's going to need more rings and more bowing and more ego stroking.

Perhaps a three-peat will be the cure.

CRISPYBABY posted:

I'm honestly gonna be surprised if they don't get a phone call from Silver after last night's game. It was one of the most blatant "using lineups to maximise losing chance" I've ever seen.

It was surreal. I was watching the Jazz stream and the commentators were completely baffled that he wasn't going back in and we'd occasionally get shots on the bench of him looking angrier and angrier that he wasn't playing.

Like, I know the goal is to maximize your lottery chances, but goddamn. It's one thing to rest your guys and put out a development lineup, but to explicitly not let your best player who was having an amazing night play the fourth quarter because you want to lose the game is kinda pathetic.

It reminds me of playing non-competitive little league soccer when I was a kid when we had one guy on our team who was too good so instead of letting him run up the score, the coach would let him play a little bit and then put him in goal/on the bench to keep the game competitive.

There is only one cure for pathological tanking. Abolish the lottery and stop rewarding mediocrity.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...NBA hall of fame is too inclusive. Grant Hill was real good, but he wasn't in the same class as those two guys. Lost too much to injury.

IMO only guys with 100 NBA/ABA WS should get in.

It's a shame Grant Hill only reached 99.9 WS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bulls should let the Goalie Accountant play 18 minutes against the Magic

Yes or at least trade the Bulls and that Loyola-Chicago team for the remainder of their seasons.

2018 Bulls in 42 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PtMT0PNOyg

1996 Bulls in 434 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fowldx4hRtI

• Locked thread