Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BWV posted:

A fun interview with Raptor legends Kyle, Demar and Alvin Williams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZLahmkwDY

Makes me think how I was annoyed when the Raps couldnt get Nash but had they got him it would've hosed everything right up.

It could have messed everything up, but Nash probably wouldn't have broken his leg. That's what truly ruined him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dokmo posted:

Those numbers are only for the last 2 minutes of close games, and so are biased against good teams that tend to play more blowouts. I'm sure LeBron gets a billion missed calls during the rest of the game, just like every other physical player.

Wouldn't this logic also make it biased against bad teams as they should be the ones getting blown out by the good teams?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Disillusionist posted:

Unironic hot take: Spurs should lose out and get a decent pick. They're not winning a championship this year. I'd rather have the 14th pick than a first or second round exit.

Leonard is going to comeback in time for the playoffs and this will lead to CP3 not making the conference playoffs again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Kobe Bryant has as many Oscars as he has MVP awards.

Should be 0 for both.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Leo is a better actor than 95% of Hollywood

I agree. I meant Kobe shouldn't have an oscar or MVP.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BWV posted:

That Knicks team was so much better before they traded for Melo

They were at least more fun to watch. However, they were doomed because of Amar'e's knees.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

Yup, but not as much as they used to boo Monty.

If the team isn't a championship contender, they boo the coach.

Kibner posted:

Probably something to do with the golden age of LSU, Saints, and other local sports teams having ended recently but expectations still there for championship or trash.

Also, there is a big time local sports newscaster called Fletcher Mackell that perpetuates and encourages this rear end in a top hat behavior.

Anytime a bar did not have Pels(then Hornets) game on always seemed weird to me when I lived in NOLA. Though the ones I frequented tended to have them on (miss the CP3 WOOOO Hornets era except the 08 playoffs.) I really hope the team can build a good fanbase one day, catching games at New Orleans Arena Smoothie King Center is a lot of fun. It's weird to me that fans aren't more forgiving of the coach when that isn't the real issue with the team. I'm willing to bet you are right that it is probably something to do with the golden age of LSU/the Saints ending recently.

New Orleans sports fans should not fret though. The golden age of Tulane Football is about to begin. The city better get ready for the Wave consistently being .500 or better.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

hmm TWolves beat the Warriors by 6 and DRose droped 2 dimes and scored 2 points. Seems instrumental in defeating the champs.

ignore +/- or missed shots and defense if you agree +/- isn't good

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/973030810629554176

lol Magic is going to catch another tampering fine

Clearly they were talking about Paul's client, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. lol

edit:

Dexo posted:

Eh, Talking to an agent isn't technically tampering.

Rich Paul is also KCP's agent.

They were clearly having an indepth conversation about KCP. come on guys.
Dexo beat me.

zoux posted:

Lol AD had a triple double with 10 blocks
nice

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 12, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Celtics were relying on Daniel Theis to win basketball games then they should really just pack up the season imo

Hey man, one time Corey Brewer saved the Mavs in a playoff game and helped give them momentum to sweep the champs out. Random bench players can help in the playoffs. I don't know Boston's rotation well enough to know if he is one of their 8 best players but if so that could hurt.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

No way jose.

but what if Kawhi is back?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

If they sign Bosh they then match the Parsons contract and oh god

Man they got lucky Bosh didn't sign there. My understanding is they would have matched Parsons if they got Bosh.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wes Matthews is out for the season with a broken leg.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Has it been mentioned here yet that they’re making a new Shaq Fu game?

Yes, but it's been delayed forever so people might have forgotten.

That game was supposed to be free for people for bought NBA Playgrounds at launch on Switch. The dev team had been silent for a while last I checked.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Long shot but does anyone know anywhere online that has old ESPN3D broadcasts of NBA games?

Tae posted:

NBA players and union should probably figure out the situation where they don't have hired drivers instead of doing it themselves first

Ty Lawson

Fun Fact: Ty Lawson was sponsored by Lyft when he got his DUI.
https://blog.lyft.com/posts/tylawson

Boredumb posted:

What would it take for the league to get rid of conferences in the playoffs?

Owners of Eastern conference teams to be tricked.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

In case y'all thought I was being dramatic about all of the Celtics being injured

https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/974044591178637313

This is dire

At least a Bird walked through the door.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sign IT for cheap this summer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

His wife is about to shut his kids out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

Tom already did that three years ago.

True but there was some hope they could get back in the fold while he was alive.

I have such mixed feelings about Benson. On one hand basketball in NOLA was saved by him. On the other, he seriously considered moving the Saints out of New Orleans after Katrina then later built a statue of himself for loyalty to the city. I guess it's foolish to hold something that ultimately didn't happen against him, however getting a statue of one's self rubs me the wrong way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What's Big Baby Davis doing these days?

"The police discovered a quarter-pound of weed, about $92,000 in cash, and a ledger that cops believe lists names and amounts of money owed by those people for said weed. Through his lawyer, Davis maintained his innocence when contacted by WMAR."
https://deadspin.com/glen-big-baby-davis-arrested-with-a-quarter-pound-of-1823857637

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Rondo and Allen are seriously like a couple in a lovely relationship who do anything to keep an argument going and try to get the last word in.

Didn't the 08 Celtics "make up" with Allen a few weeks ago?

havelock posted:

News: Old Man Still Got It
https://streamable.com/k1wnm

Got that big shot and the L to keep the tank alive.

nice

Metapod posted:

N: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/972138351858872320

Russ got 37 points shooting 15/22 along with 14 assists and 13 rebounds

V: lmfao don't give russ a reason to go off

Westbrook isn't close to the favorite for MVP though. (or runner up even.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

Learn to read

First the Mavs must relearn how to play basketball.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember thinking Charles Smith used to be a missing piece for the Knicks and the Spurs because he used to put up buckets on those garbage Clippers teams.

I think 99% of my basketball analysis in the 90s was looking at the stats on the back of a player card. This is why I thought Michael Adams was good

For a long time I thought Kevin Martin would have been the perfect 2nd option to put next to Dirk.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like they'd have lost a lot of games 140-132 with that lineup, both are pretty bad defenders

Depends who the rest of the lineup was.

Dirk won a title with Jason Terry as his second option. (So if they had Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler things would have been all right.)
While Dirk was never a great defender, I think how bad he was is a little exaggerated. Then factor in his super efficient offense and it works. I don't think in hindsight it would have been as great of a pairing as I imagined a few years ago, then again an old rear end Dirk and Monta combo almost took out a Spurs team that went on to win a title so who knows.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 21, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860872/big-east-replace-1-done-2-none
"Two-or-none would be an NCAA policy requiring basketball players who decide to go to college to commit for at least two seasons. Meanwhile, high school players who declare for the NBA draft would forfeit future college eligibility."

What would stop them from leaving college after 1 year in this situation?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

I think he means if it's NCAA policy and not NBA, how can they enforce it?

Exactly, what's the NCAA going to do, sanction the player's former school? I can't imagine a contract forcing someone to play a year of free basketball will hold up in court, especially when that player has a pro team offering him a rookie contract.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why would they leave if they can’t be drafted for another year? Go to Europe or China?

Why would the NBA follow a rule for the NCAA? They don't have to agree to it just because the Zombie Big East commissioner thinks it is a good idea.

Also, couldn't a player just fail out of school in their second semester so they just have to play one season? 2 or none sounds like something the guy made it liked because the name sounds good but didn't put much more thought into it.

nice

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 22, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I didn't realize the North got so angry.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I doubt Woj is the liar. Sounds like some of the Spurs are trying to do damage control.

except Tony Parker who has decided to throw Leonard under the bus.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

You doubt Woj, the guy notorious for airing unsourced hit pieces on behalf of his contacts, is airing an unsourced hit piece on behalf of his contacts? He hates the Spurs cause the Spurs don’t leak him anything, he’s had it out for Lebron and the Lakers for similar reasons in the past irrc

I trust Woj over a guy in the locker room who has interest in putting out the fire. Parker's story only makes it more likely Woj is right. Woj is also notorious for being the best at breaking NBA related news. There is no real evidence he "hates the Spurs" beyond deciding he must because a story doesn't make them look good.

Is it possible he could be wrong? Yes. Do I think the chances of that are extremely high in this situation? No.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Houston would probably beat them but then again, I would never bet on a team that hasn’t played Lebron before. His having lost to Dallas and SA notwithstanding. I guess this is a knights of Lebron thing? I’d be scared of a healthy Cavs in that scenario I guess

How is Houston going to get to the finals if CP3 is allergic to conference finals? Did a certain root beer barrel cure him?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mitchell is good but lol if Simmons doesn't win RoTY.

Mid 00s nostalgia is starting to become a thing. I never expected this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

OKC knocking out GSW and SAS knocking out the Rockets would be hilarious. Especially if it leads to another Cavs title causing LeBron to feel immense pressure to stay in Cleveland.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Did Justin Anderson make the Simba cam?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Who are considered the contenders this year by everyone here? I have Houston, Golden State, Toronto, and Cleveland. It's funny because I'm hesitant to put Toronto on but really those doubts should be on Cleveland. Hard to not put a LeBron James team on the contender list.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

Whats the record for highest amount of busts from one family?

euphronius posted:

Kardashians probably

Just because Wilt was firing blanks doesn't mean we should try to take a record away from the man.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Imagine how lonely LaMelo would get if LiAngelo actually was picked in the 2nd round.

Also, I found this bit of LaVar Ball's JBA league website to be hilarious.
"There will be an All-Star Game, Playoffs and Finals. The entire Championship Team will win a new Mercedes, BMW, or Cadillac."
I wonder if he would let LaMelo come back to play in that league.
http://jbaleague.com/#toggle-id-2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rooting for a lotto bound team has the added bonus of watching other lotto bound teams hoping they win. They never do.

edit:
Bron on playing with Wade again.

"I always felt like it could happen again before our careers were done," James told ESPN. "Didn't know when. I never put a [timeline on it]. I just felt like it could happen to me. And I didn't know if it was going to be in Cleveland. I didn't know where the hell we were going to be. I just always felt it. When he was able to work out that buyout, man, it was like the intuition became the truth. That's all."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22925960/a-chaotic-cleveland-cavaliers-stint-shake-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-friendship

Read too much into that quote and you realize LeBron indirectly admits he has thought about leaving the Cavs.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 27, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Curry changed the game more than Magic, kids can't watch Magic and decide to grow into a giant point guard. That list stinks anyway, not having Dirk in the top 10 is absurd considering how he changed the game for big men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zoux posted:

If you click through they explain the stuff and also the list actually is the top 100

Dirk is still a top 10 game changer in the history of the league. I went to check the list to find him at 20. Since I have been watching the NBA close, no player has been changed their position's style more than Dirk.

Steph is one of the closest to Dirk in amount of change they have caused within the league. He is changing the game a lot, much of that is inspired by Steve Nash but Curry is taking it to new heights. Steph can potentially change the game in a much greater way than Dirk due to his height.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 28, 2018

• Locked thread