Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BUG JUG posted:

I am flying from STL to Boston tomorrow.

Tell my wife I loved her.

Check your flight. Pretty sure everything is cancelled. The 2nd air canada rep I talked to sounded pretty stunned, everything north of the mason dixon line on the east coast seems to be cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Yeah after I made that post my Philly to Boston leg got cancelled. So now....gonna enjoy being stranded in Philly.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Take a train down to Annapolis. I hear there's going to be at least one seat empty at the hockey game there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Army/Navy free hockey game in Everett this weekend but of course I got duty. Since it's coed I'm going to assume theres no physical contact either so booooooo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/969377257201524736

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BUG JUG posted:

Yeah after I made that post my Philly to Boston leg got cancelled. So now....gonna enjoy being stranded in Philly.

I hope this loops in your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sd6P2Tu8rw

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
OH COME THE gently caress ON

quote:

WASHINGTON — The top lobbyist for the National Rifle Association claimed late Thursday that President Trump had retreated from his surprising support a day earlier for gun control measures after a meeting with N.R.A. officials and Vice President Mike Pence in the Oval Office. Chris Cox, the group’s top lobbyist, posted on Twitter just after 9 p.m. that he met with Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence, saying that “we all want safe schools, mental health reform and to keep guns away from dangerous people. POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control. #NRA #MAGA.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/...pgtype=Homepage

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/17054740/palantir-predictive-policing-tool-new-orleans-nopd

quote:

The company provided software to a secretive NOPD program that traced people’s ties to other gang members, outlined criminal histories, analyzed social media, and predicted the likelihood that individuals would commit violence or become a victim.

quote:

In January 2013, New Orleans would also allow Palantir to use its law enforcement account for LexisNexis’ Accurint product, which is comprised of millions of searchable public records, court filings, licenses, addresses, phone numbers, and social media data. The firm also got free access to city criminal and non-criminal data in order to train its software for crime forecasting. Neither the residents of New Orleans nor key city council members whose job it is to oversee the use of municipal data were aware of Palantir’s access to reams of their data.

Police are using machine learning for predictive policing, and meanwhile 2nd amendment fanatics still think they can take down the state with their AR-15s...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lol did anyone expect it to go any other way?

e: :laffo:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/969394382662139904?s=21

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 2, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

I figured it was just a quick bump to gun stocks so someone could make money.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

McConnell setting a great example on how to handle a dangerous situation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A lot. Kids were always cruel. Social media saturation of everything isn't helping. Parents are too busy barely breaking even to curb the influence. Or lock up their guns, apparently. Being the butt of everyones' jokes because of your clothes or shoes, or your off branded snacks in your lunch, or being some flavor of autistic, or fat, or dumb but not dumb enough to not notice ridicule.

Lots of goddamn problems that kids can't see past when they're that young. They don't realize how little any of that poo poo matters.

To put it in perspective, the time it takes for kids to realize poo poo in school doesn't matter is usually (ie "it gets better") is usually a span of time that is longer than they've been alive.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Someone tried to assassinate the queen in 1981 but police claimed the noise was a sign falling over

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
OPM actually did it. :aaa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Untagged posted:

OPM actually did it. :aaa:

what they do this time?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Make equip even more of a pain in the rear end to fill out?

(guess who got hit with hit with reinvestigation time)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

orange juche posted:

what they do this time?

They closed the Fed Gov in DC today due to expected 60-70 miles per hour winds.

edit:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Someone didn't want to go to work and had a convenient excuse to have a three day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’m in West Africa right now and had a connecting flight through Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso earlier today. I landed at my current location to find my phone blowing the gently caress up and people wondering if I’m okay- apparently there is some sort of major attack ongoing in Ouagadougou near the Prime Minister’s offices, the military chief of staff, and the French Embassy that erupted like right before my plane took off. It seems pretty bad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I tried pointing out to a guy from ~boston~ what this kind of wind can do and he just couldn't understand it.

Imagine if there is a F0 tornado all day every day or that you lived in oklahoma.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

They closed the Fed Gov in DC today due to expected 60-70 miles per hour winds.

edit:

Lmao as a contractor this is hilarious to me. I dont get any days off for dumb poo poo like "its too windy"

Hell during the stupid winter storms this year my company basically advised to pack a day bag just in case we got stranded on site by poo poo weather.

Which coincidentally is what my latest email says, we're considered mission essential personnel so unless we are directly impacted by the weather, i.e. tree fell on my house/car, im expected to be there on time and ready to work, meanwhile if theres the slightest of excuses not to work the govvies can't be expected to put in an appearance.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 2, 2018

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Way to bitch about other people getting a good deal

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why take the risk with employee safety? They used to take the same attitude with snow, but inevitably there were a few accidents each time people were asked to make judgment calls, so now they just close the offices when there's a reasonable chance of poor road conditions.

And really, it barely matters anymore. Yeah, there are plenty of exceptions, but most of the federal employees in DC are just white collar office workers who can do their jobs remotely. Most agencies offering telework made it mandatory to work remotely during office closures when I was last there, unless that's changed. There's just no reason to take the risk other than bluster.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's pretty windy out.

I hope I don't lose power because I was planning on taking off Monday and I don't want to have to burn more PTO or do some hosed up half and half thing for two days.

But this is 2018 so I'll probably lose power for like an hour at most. It's all underground lines here anyway.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why take the risk with employee safety? They used to take the same attitude with snow, but inevitably there were a few accidents each time people were asked to make judgment calls, so now they just close the offices when there's a reasonable chance of poor road conditions.

And really, it barely matters anymore. Yeah, there are plenty of exceptions, but most of the federal employees in DC are just white collar office workers who can do their jobs remotely. Most agencies offering telework made it mandatory to work remotely during office closures when I was last there, unless that's changed. There's just no reason to take the risk other than bluster.

100% of my work is on SCI systems, it is literally impossible for me to telework, so its not even offered as an option by my company. There are other positions in the company that can and do telework but my job doesnt allow it.

I guess i could take PTO, but then i am burning days id rather use on vacation for lovely weather, and its also subject to approval due to manning requirements.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 2, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m in West Africa right now and had a connecting flight through Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso earlier today. I landed at my current location to find my phone blowing the gently caress up and people wondering if I’m okay- apparently there is some sort of major attack ongoing in Ouagadougou near the Prime Minister’s offices, the military chief of staff, and the French Embassy that erupted like right before my plane took off. It seems pretty bad.

Stay safe.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/969549117516107778

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status/969554358697414656

Is there some kind of contest going on with regards to who can go to prison for the longest time?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol none of them will see the inside of a cell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump may have been swayed and wants Kushner and his wife out:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wants-to-kick-jared-kusher-ivanka-trump-out-of-white-house-2018-3

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/969557840003256322

The first quantum president. He is simultaneously for and against gun control

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/969557840003256322

The first quantum president. He is simultaneously for and against gun control

That's called duplicity, friend. It's a tactic of a lot of brilliant leaders!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump is singlehandedly trying to destroy the US's import business

Why is he doing this

Who wanted this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Trump is singlehandedly trying to destroy the US's import business

Why is he doing this

Who wanted this

Don't worry he's a successful businessman!

Despite there being zero evidence that is true....

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I have a feeling the NRA stuff will somehow end up with Sanders fired. She's had a good run but trump logic demands the stupidest thing possible always will.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Zeris posted:

I have a feeling the NRA stuff will somehow end up with Sanders fired. She's had a good run but trump logic demands the stupidest thing possible always will.

Then it will be stephen miller doing the talks again probably

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/WBKB11/status/969585205135794177

https://twitter.com/AlyssaMcCannTV/status/969253796172967937

Looks like no injuries but the guy is still at large

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 2, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

If only the students, faculty, maintenance staff, and passing strangers had carried guns!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Welp turns out trying to drive was a bad idea and my car is now a write-off. Hubris.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Welp turns out trying to drive was a bad idea and my car is now a write-off. Hubris.

That sucks. But yeah, hubris is a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Apolitical tweet

https://twitter.com/StuOstro/status/969574404320583680?s=19

• Locked thread