Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm a little over 100 miles from DC and the wind blows so hard that it sounds like there's a marching band outside every now and then. i was about to go outside and tell my neighbors to be quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

boop the snoot posted:

i'm a little over 100 miles from DC and the wind blows so hard that it sounds like there's a marching band outside every now and then. i was about to go outside and tell my neighbors to be quiet.

How’s Monty holding up tho?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Its no joke in the DC area right now. My parents are moving to a hotel, poo poo is crashing on their roof and no power since early this morning.

Google is telling me that 700k are without power and the number is expected to go up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14508821/1/icahn-sells-31-million-of-stock-in-company-that-s-tumbled-on-trump-tariff.html

Looking forward to the appointment of the first federal Moffs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sup guys it's beautiful on the West Coast and I'm going to enjoy this fine weekend with a bunch of fat bong rips

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ASAPI posted:

Its no joke in the DC area right now. My parents are moving to a hotel, poo poo is crashing on their roof and no power since early this morning.

Google is telling me that 700k are without power and the number is expected to go up.

My fiance and I are driving up 270 to have dinner at her parents and this wind is loving throwing the car around with ease. I'd say we should just crash at her parents house tonight if we didn't have dogs waiting at home.

Also saw one of the condos down the street from have had it's roof blown away, so uhh yeah, this wind isn't loving around.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

My fiance and I are driving up 270 to have dinner at her parents and this wind is loving throwing the car around with ease. I'd say we should just crash at her parents house tonight if we didn't have dogs waiting at home.

Also saw one of the condos down the street from have had it's roof blown away, so uhh yeah, this wind isn't loving around.

Why not turn around now and cancel dinner?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Puerto Rico sends its thoughts and prayers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

:drat:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

beautiful

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

Why not turn around now and cancel dinner?

We're already more than halfway there at this point otherwise that's exactly what I'd do.

Oh that and they're leaving the country for three weeks tomorrow so my fiance wants to see them before the head out.

LingcodKilla posted:

:thurman:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

:trumppop:

:siren: The gas can is down

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

sharknado slashfic posted:

:trumppop:

:siren: The gas can is down

rip east coast

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also this is a pretty good barometer for the current state of affairs:

I'm taking an entrepreneurship course right now. We had some people that work for the city come in and tell us about small business opportunities in the area.

One of their talking points they mentioned as an advantage of the area?

It's beyond the 100 mile blast radius of DC if missiles start flying.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
This got skipped over earlier because it was just a link, but...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/02/carl-icahn-shares-sell-trump-steel-tariffs-announcement-timing

quote:

Carl Icahn, a former special adviser to Donald Trump, sold $31.3m of shares in a company heavily dependent on steel imports last week, shortly before Trump’s announcement of new tariffs sent its shares plummeting.

Icahn, a billionaire investor who was a major Trump supporter, started selling shares in the crane and lifting equipment supplier Manitowoc Company on 12 February, days before the commerce department first mooted plans to impose stiff tariffs on foreign steel imports.

The news was first reported by Think Progress.

On Thursday Trump said he would press ahead with the commerce department’s plans to levy 25% tariffs on imports of steel and 10% on aluminium.

According to a regulatory filing Icahn was able to sell his shares for $32 to $34. On Friday morning Manitowoc’s shares had fallen 5.48% to $26.37. The fall was in line with drops seen by other companies dependent on cheap steel imports, including Boeing and Caterpillar.

It's like every other day we have something below the fold that would be a major scandal for any other president.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the two people who got killed in the school shooting today were the suspect's parents.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FrozenVent posted:

The funniest thing about Horus’ misadventure is that he wrecked his car to get to a Leafs game.

A team so lame and so lovely most people can’t go to the effort of changing the channel to watch their games, never mind driving cross border through Weatherpocalypse 2018.

Bitch please. Leafers are hot this year.

The 2 friends I was travelling with got a US plated rental and continued the trip. Two other friends were driving from NYC. There's a bridge in NOVA that was closed due to wind and they're both stranded at the wrong side of.

And the REAL kicker is the thing I was most excited for was the Smithsonian air and space museum. Which was closed today.

OH WELL it means I get to be home and my sister had her babby today so that's more important.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

facialimpediment posted:

No thanks, I'm good.

https://twitter.com/mattacklandfox5/status/969681161973829632?s=19

No loving wonder DC was shut down for that windstorm.

Hey man if the winds are within limits, it’s a safe takeoff.

But lol gently caress that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

drat, son.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Trump Suggests Death Penalty For Drug Dealers

Guess he really is taking a liking to Duterte's style

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probably because he was talking to Singapore.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

GoGoGadget posted:

Trump Suggests Death Penalty For Drug Dealers

Guess he really is taking a liking to Duterte's style

I'd be OK with this if it was the pharma managers/executives on trial for shipping hundreds of pain pills per capita to tiny WV towns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

egyptian rat race posted:

I'd be OK with this if it was the pharma managers/executives on trial for shipping hundreds of pain pills per capita to tiny WV towns.

Hundreds?

It was thousands.

A town of 2900 has 21 million opioid painkillers shipped to it. That comes out to over 7000 pills per resident.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Sup guys it's beautiful on the West Coast and I'm going to enjoy this fine weekend with a bunch of fat bong rips

This. I’m also at a baseball game.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The info graphic at the CDC for opiate prescriptions is damning. No state has less than 50 prescriptions per 100 people. Some even more so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm starting to think that Colorado is the only safe place to live in the US now.

At least until the entire state burns down this summer.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

A town of 2900 has 21 million opioid painkillers shipped to it. That comes out to over 7000 pills per resident.

A town doesn't have any drugs shipped to it, they were ordered by doctors, it's not like the drug company just decided to ship these drugs to make money.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

A town doesn't have any drugs shipped to it, they were ordered by doctors, it's not like the drug company just decided to ship these drugs to make money.

If we are going to be unnecessarily pedantic, that’s exactly why drug companies ship them anywhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Soulex posted:

The info graphic at the CDC for opiate prescriptions is damning. No state has less than 50 prescriptions per 100 people. Some even more so.

How the gently caress does this even happen?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress does this even happen?

Leaving medicine as a for-profit industry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was thinking more on the doctor-patient side. What are people saying to get fat stacks of pills? I go in there pale as gently caress from a kidney stone and get maybe 18 percocets or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

The controlled substances act puts a responsibility on the distributors/supply chain to put controls in place so that you don't go shipping 7k pills per capital to a single town. It's a pretty clear failure and if the feds in the FDA/DEA even gave as much of a poo poo about those regs as the other feds in the treasury do about AML/CTF regs in the banking system, there'd be gargantuan fines being levied.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How does a small-town doctor cave to the pressure of just giving their patients one of the nearly most addicting pain meds, or be replaced by someone who will?

Truly a mystery.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm starting to think that Colorado is the only safe place to live in the US now.

At least until the entire state burns down this summer.

It is pretty nice here.

And as dry as the rear end in a top hat of the mojave.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

I was thinking more on the doctor-patient side. What are people saying to get fat stacks of pills? I go in there pale as gently caress from a kidney stone and get maybe 18 percocets or something.

Years ago, doctors could get various forms of kickbacks from Big Pharma based on how many prescriptions they wrote and nobody really kept track. A lot of times they would get visited by Pharma reps that would encourage the use of their specific drug of choice versus another company's drug and their bonuses would mirror those prescription rates. ProPublica has a bit of a project documenting those kickbacks and here's an NPR recap. Opioids made drug companies tons of money and it trickled down to the doctors.

In addition, these areas have a lot of blue-collar workers, especially mine workers, which leads to a lot of physical injuries. To treat said injuries, they'd get painkillers, get fixed up, then would start hurting again due to the lasting injury damage. Throw in a decent amount of "my life isn't working out" depression and you get a shitload of people requesting pain meds with the doctors willing to prescribe them.

It feels like the "opioid epidemic" has been around for a long time, but it has only been identified as a terrible addiction source by the government and the public health sector for a few years.

There is also an early frontrunner for headline of the year, courtesy of Alexandra Petri (because she's awesome):

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/969759032570535936

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This reminds me of that Sandman comic were Morphues sends Playland the dream were the kids he all killed forgive him for being a terrible terrible monster.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm interpreting that as all the people killed in mass shootings in the US in maybe the last 6 months.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm interpreting that as all the people killed in mass shootings in the US in maybe the last 6 months.

That’s a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

That’s a safe bet.

I just dont know who Mr Feis is.

• Locked thread