Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That was part of Infinity, which was roughly the same time but by Hickman

The doom thing was basically that Doom and Strange travel to like, the core of creation, to where the architects of reality exist, in an effort to stop reality from unraveling itself. They're presented with a chance to seize that power for themselves. Strange balks at it, but doom just goes gently caress yeah I'm doctor doom and makes himself god and holds together the scraps of a bunch of different universe's as one planet

How the hell do they gently caress up Doom so bad in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Rough Lobster posted:

This is one of my favorite villain "redemptions" and I always thought it was a shame it didn't stick more permanently in the comics. Well as permanent as anything in comics is.

Because after all the gauntlet comics thanos was insanelly over.theres a reason hes the ultimate big bad in the MU,and 95% is that run. Anti hero thanos was a lot of fun.the guy literally got over his fixation with death,and as such stopped being a nihilist. By refusing to be defined by his obsession he found room to be something diferent than what himself and others expected .thats really solid writing and development for comics.
The problem was "maquiavelli but working with the good guys" thanos only really worked because he played so well off straigh laced,philosophical adam warlock. When warlock went away they imediatly reversed thanos to "raaagh murderous teen with boner for a bone lady".
Marvels " the end" is a poo poo event but the resolution is 6 pages of adam warlock and thanos just talking with each other and its the petfect capstone to their 30 year relationship.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Because they try to box him in as a stereotypical villain. Which he is, but also not. Doom's a better antihero than 99% of the stock that are out there because it's legit earned.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If this doesn't end with Thanos as Darryl's new roommate I don't know what it's all for.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

Because Doctor Doom is the rare character that actually requires fifty years of characterization to get to the point where he's equally believable as

a) a dictator who rules his country with an iron fist but genuinely care about his people and thinks everything would be better off with him in charge
B) a tragic dude doomed to fail because of his hubris
C) a petty dickweed who will gently caress with the f4 for shits and gigs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not like those movies nailed everything but Doom.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because Doctor Doom is the rare character that actually requires fifty years of characterization to get to the point where he's equally believable as

a) a dictator who rules his country with an iron fist but genuinely care about his people and thinks everything would be better off with him in charge

That's really overestimating superhero comic writing.

"The reason why this character sucks is because he only works with 50 years of previous stories."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's really overestimating superhero comic writing.

"The reason why this character sucks is because he only works with 50 years of previous stories."

I mean, it's true though? He's a guy whose first appearance is building a time machine to force the f4 to recover Blackbeard's treasure and this somehow is consistent with the whole dictator who wants (wanted now) to rule the world because he thinks everyone would be happier with him in charge thing, it's almost like he's a dude with a bunch of stuff going on that makes him hard to slam into a 90 minute blockbuster

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That and studios are cowards who probably go "Dr. Victor Von Doom, that's too silly the audiences won't accept it!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean, it's true though? He's a guy whose first appearance is building a time machine to force the f4 to recover Blackbeard's treasure and this somehow is consistent with the whole dictator who wants (wanted now) to rule the world because he thinks everyone would be happier with him in charge thing, it's almost like he's a dude with a bunch of stuff going on that makes him hard to slam into a 90 minute blockbuster

It is in fact rather easy to slam Doctor Doom into a movie. The Flash Gordon movie for example had a very faithful Doctor Doom type as its villain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

achillesforever6 posted:

That and studios are cowards who probably go "Dr. Victor Von Doom, that's too silly the audiences won't accept it!"

I remember when the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic came, that was the mentality of Marvel too. "Doctor Doom" would be the name he would take, but his alternate identity would be the far less silly "Victor Van Damme".

Yeah.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

I remember when the Ultimate Fantastic Four comic came, that was the mentality of Marvel too. "Doctor Doom" would be the name he would take, but his alternate identity would be the far less silly "Victor Van Damme".

Yeah.

Which is specifically hilarious because Ultimate Doom has goat legs and shoots toxic gas from his organs and poo poo. But the name was a bit too out there for the writers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

Which is specifically hilarious because Ultimate Doom has goat legs and shoots toxic gas from his organs and poo poo. But the name was a bit too out there for the writers.

That was an editorial call iirc, the original writer who I honestly can't remember at the moment has said that he wanted to do this whole chinese elements thing and then also doom as Satan and it was just fuckin wild and cooler than anything we actually got

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Yeah.

He was also called Victor Van Damme in Fant4stic Four until Trank was fired and replaced with Kinberg for re-shoots.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Imo the best part of doom is his massive inferiority complex and simmering jealousy of Reed Richards, a man who has, in dooms eyes, squandered his talents but is actually happy and has a family and also manages to shut doom down at every turn

When Doom becomes god during secret wars he makes sue his wife and Reed's kids his, and the thing is turned into a giant barrier wall holding back monsters, and the torch is forced to keep the sun burning, but Reed and Ultimate Reed were outside reality bc reasons so he has no control over them

And when they show up he basically shits his pants because Reed is a guy who stops him on the general principle of the thing

And now he stole Reed's family

And Ultimate Reed is a literal supervillain, he's Reed unrestrained by having people he cares about

And he realizes how far those two will go to just completely gently caress his day up and panics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ultimate Reed Richards completely snapping after Sue breaks up with him and going full tilt into doctor doom territory to the point of creating a civilization inside a dome where time moves faster than outside the dome so that he can show everyone how good his ideas are loving rules by the way

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The villain called Doctor Doom feels inferior to the hero called Mr. Fantastic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's gonna rock your world when I tell you that there is actual character development in comics

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's not at all true as Kirby established everything remarkable about the character in his first 6 or so appearances. Everything subsequent is just a love note, Dr. Doom exploded out of the gate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The actual best doom story is a tie between doom going to literal hell to kick the devil's rear end and save his mother's soul and the time magneto and doom had to team up with the red skull and agreed that the minute poo poo was over they were going to curb stomp the nazi

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not at all true as Kirby established everything remarkable about the character in his first 6 or so appearances. Everything subsequent is just a love note, Dr. Doom exploded out of the gate.

I need to read more of the classic run, it's probably the most shameful gap in my knowledge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like the further you get from the first 50 issues of FF the more redundant it becomes. The book is bursting to full and it's unfair to ask anyone to follow that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like the further you get from the first 50 issues of FF the more redundant it becomes. The book is bursting to full and it's unfair to ask anyone to follow that.

Reading Hickman's tenure at Marvel as a long fantastic four run that spanned four different books or whatever should count as the second best run, since it's the first one that actually gave them something to do besides existing in the universe

Writing out Reed and Sue and the kids as being the new architects of reality owns bones

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Summarizing the plots of superhero comic does not actually make them impressive. It was very cool how Luigi Vampa completely owned Danglars at the end of the Count of Monte Cristo, but recounting it doesn't make it cool. Fictional heroics are accomplished very easily.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Summarizing the plots of superhero comic does not actually make them impressive. It was very cool how Luigi Vampa completely owned Danglars at the end of the Count of Monte Cristo, but recounting it doesn't make it cool. Fictional heroics are accomplished very easily.

Ok so what's your actual point

Don't describe things from fiction?

This is some Arby's poo poo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ok so what's your actual point

Don't describe things from fiction?

This is some Arby's poo poo

The topic is the recurring concern that the adaptations of superhero comics will not be as cool as the comics, which have such "amazing" stuff such as the villain becoming a god and marrying the hero's wife using his unlimited power. That actually doesn't sound that cool - stupid, really - because basic plot content is generally the least thrilling part of fiction. Is the cosmic cuckoldry conveyed in great comic art or something?

Max von Sydow's perfromance as Ming the Merciless is already better because his performance presents an advantage in form as opposed to content.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The topic is the recurring concern that the adaptations of superhero comics will not be as cool as the comics, which have such "amazing" stuff such as the villain becoming a god and marrying the hero's wife using his unlimited power. That actually doesn't sound that cool - stupid, really - because basic plot content is generally the least thrilling part of fiction. Is the cosmic cuckoldry conveyed in great comic art or something?

Max von Sydow's perfromance as Ming the Merciless is already better because his performance presents an advantage in form as opposed to content.

I mean it's not like I talked about the character traits that made the events compelling or anything, or like you're an illiterate dipshit

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean it's not like I talked about the character traits that made the events compelling or anything, or like you're an illiterate dipshit

"Character traits" in themselves aren't compelling. The character of Doctor Doom is compelling because of a unique visual of a literal tin-pot tyrant accompanied by grandiloquent cartoon dialogue ("I am Doctor Doom! I rule my own country!").

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tell it to the guy at Sonic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Character traits" in themselves aren't compelling. The character of Doctor Doom is compelling because of a unique visual of a literal tin-pot tyrant accompanied by grandiloquent cartoon dialogue ("I am Doctor Doom! I rule my own country!").

They should just take the dialogue for one of these movies from that Spider-Man comic another tooting a horn and call it a day.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really like Marvel, but I'm almost hoping that this seriously underperforms just so that the story of the year can be "Black Panther outgrossed Infinity War". I think that that'd do some really good things for minority representation in the film industry.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

21 Muns posted:

I really like Marvel, but I'm almost hoping that this seriously underperforms just so that the story of the year can be "Black Panther outgrossed Infinity War". I think that that'd do some really good things for minority representation in the film industry.

it wouldn't even need to underperform; Black Panther is literally the highest grossing Marvel Studios movie, so all IW would need to do is make Avengers money and BP would still have the edge (and in case you forgot, Avengers money is loving crazy).

Black Panther has a shot at beating Titanic's domestic total. That is loving insane.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

it wouldn't even need to underperform; Black Panther is literally the highest grossing Marvel Studios movie, so all IW would need to do is make Avengers money and BP would still have the edge (and in case you forgot, Avengers money is loving crazy).

Black Panther has a shot at beating Titanic's domestic total. That is loving insane.

Holy poo poo, really? I'm only tracking the global numbers and was starting to worry it'd peter out around $1.5bn.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Now if only it was any good, we'd be set.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DC Murderverse posted:

Not only does it have a shot, but it will beat Titantic's domestic total. It's only 28 million behind and made 35 million last week. It should cover that ground in like two and a half weeks or so.

Avatar and Force Awakens look pretty well out of reach though, and worldwide it'll crack the top ten?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

21 Muns posted:

Holy poo poo, really? I'm only tracking the global numbers and was starting to worry it'd peter out around $1.5bn.

It's going gangbusters on the domestic front:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/.../Titanic-(1997)

Titanic's full run doesn't fit onto the graph but it made slightly more than Jurassic World and Black Panther is obviously rocketing past Jurassic World, which means that BP will easily secure the #3 spot out of all movies ever released in the US (unadjusted). The Avengers used to be #5 but BP just shoved it down a peg on its way past.

If you adjust for inflation it should end up somewhere in the top 30 which will make it the 4th or 5th biggest film in the last 20 years.

howe_sam posted:

worldwide it'll crack the top ten?

Yeah it's got at least another $100 million left in the tank so it'll pass Avengers: Age of Ultron's worldwide box office and muscle it's way into at least the #7 spot.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 27, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

21 Muns posted:

I'm really worried that this movie will only make the unimaginably vast for my life sum of one and a half billion dollars.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Interesting fact: Black Panther is the only movie in the top 20 worldwide grossers that has made 50% or more from it's domestic gross. if you stretch all the way out to the top 100 highest grossing movies worldwide, the only ones that made >50% of their gross in the US are BP, Rogue One, Dark Knight, Wonder Woman, A New Hope and ET. I dunno what exactly is the connection between them; if you really want to try to make some sort of broad definitional statement you'd probably toss ANH and ET because of their age (older movies are way more likely to have made most of their theatrical grosses in the US), but I still don't really know what the similarities between Wonder Woman, Black Panther, The Dark Knight and Star Wars Rogue One would be, aside from possibly being particularly connected to US social/defense issues.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DC Murderverse posted:

but I still don't really know what the similarities between Wonder Woman, Black Panther, The Dark Knight and Star Wars Rogue One would be, aside from possibly being particularly connected to US social/defense issues.

Isnt the similarity that these DIDNT do well overseas in Asia?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Isnt the similarity that these DIDNT do well overseas in Asia?

i mean, probably but, but why didn't they do well in Asia? What makes them slightly more American-aimed than, say, a Fast and Furious movie or a Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dark Knight straight up didn't get a release in China (probably because of the Hong Kong scene) but even if it did it probably wouldn't have made much difference because the Chinese box-office was much smaller 10 years ago; the top movie of 2008 would barely have broken the top 50 in 2017.