Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm also thinking we need a spoiler thread for Avengers Infinity War because I feel like I'm reading CIA documents right now.

It's just a week, which we're nearly halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not standing for or representing anything seems about right for America.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Thor got an extended sequence with a surprise Peter Dinklage for his axe being forged. Cap got a throwaway line and a couple forearms guards so boring that literally nobody could be disappointed when he ditches them for his old shield.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GORDON posted:

That being said, Vision was a unique being. Killing him is a genocide.

This makes Ultron's death real awkward.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

Flying buildings and supertech is pretty much shorthand for me that they were advanced enough to have a better solution than population culling.

Apparently not, considering we see their world in ruins. If you're not willing to give a movie even a little trust on a relatively minor component of the premise, I don't think you're cut out for fantasy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Make half the universe infertile

Isn't this the plot of one of those Da Vinci Code movies?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

All right lads, you have 0 Infinity gems to save your planet, wyd

Assemble a dwarfen gauntlet and kill half the universe to free up resources for the other half: 6 Infinity gems
Kill the rich: 0 Infinity gems

Depends on whether I'm rich.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

And since his idea involves murdering half of his own species, I gotta wonder why the thought of "some people have more resources than others" wasn't something he thought to address first.

It's easier to imagine the end of (half) the world than to imagine the end of capitalism.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What's the deal with that btw? It's funny but I'm trying to figure out why Tony would be using that.

Steve Rogers sent it to him at the end of Civil War in case Tony needs to get in touch. Tony's still taken aback at how basic it is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Augus posted:

alternatively: if the lines were written well nobody would've had an issue with those lines

Right, like they said, if Whedon wasn't involved.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MixMastaTJ posted:

Like, the character aspects the film explores are cool and interesting but it totally abandons the path the characters were already on.

Eh, considering Thor 3's willingness to diverge from the previous movies, none of this is any sort of problem for Thor 4. This stuff only matters to the extent that later filmmakers decide it would be interesting to have it matter.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Shuri is disqualified because Wakanda is a strict patriarchy, as is Okoye. (Plus a kings bodyguard being able to ascend to the throne is undesirable.) Secondly, Killmonger burned the Heart Shaped Herbs, so no more Black Panther regardless.

They're going to bring back Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa because the movie was too successful for them to shake things up that much, but, man, are these not compelling reasons they couldn't promote Shuri. Like, oh no, a movie about the first female whatever. Oh no, the audience could never believe they grew more plants.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I'm not the one that wrote Wakanda to be socially regressive or the extinction of the Heart Shaped herb, so you don't need to snark at me about the in-narrative reasons it wouldn't happen.

The fact that you didn't write it makes the seriousness with which you take easily-overcome narrative speed bumps all the more ridiculous.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I was talking about BP2.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Holy poo poo is this how people think

They killed off Spider-Man and doctor strange, who both have confirmed sequels

I'm not sure what in my post you think is inconsistent with this.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

First...

Second...

Secondly...

:eng99:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Defeatin' all my enemies via the heat death of the universe.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

That really old movie?

Missed opportunity for Spider-Man to remark that it isn't even the best movie made by Craig Brewer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

I could talk about MCU Spider-Man all day, and he's had one movie to himself, and been in a chunk of two others. About three hours of Spidey, and he's got more depth to him than just about anyone in the DCEU.

I've seen lots of faults leveled at Man of Steel, but never that insufficient time has been spent talking about its portrayal of Superman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What tentpole films by Sony are well regarded critically and commercially these days?

Jumanji 2 as a comedy/action/coming-of-age story is right in line with Homecoming.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I mean gently caress me, the idea that Tony Stark, who tried to sacrifice himself by taking a nuke through a portal, isn't a hero, is so loving... What's the word? Ah yes, dumb.

Not sure I agree that suicide bombers are universally heroic, but opinions may differ.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

I will only note here that the first 20 minutes of Iron Man 2 is about how Iron Man has literally created world peace. They say this in the movie, that they are enjoying their longest period of uninterrupted peace in decades.

Turns out they had been confusing peace with quiet.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

It's literally the exact same end scenario as The Dark Knight Rises. Tony/Bruce takes a bomb meant for New York/Gotham and takes it as far away as they can, only barely escaping with their lives. If anything, Tony's even more heroic for using said bomb to wipe out the aliens hellbent on subjugating the planet.

Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, famously unconcerned with whether its protagonist is actually a hero or just making things worse.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Serf posted:

I assumed that he was still spending from the infinite money fund that he still has lying around from the murder machines.

But this does make him even more of a villain, so lol.

Yeah, even just looking at the MCU, Thor: Ragnarok has some thoughts on “moral” empires papering over the blood history it took to build them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

But no, you're right, we should spend twenty minutes of The Avengers: The Stark Clean Energy Act discussing the minutiae of how Stark Industries is communicating with the State of New York to integrate his Arc Reactor technology into the electrical grid, that would be a really exciting use of the movie's run time instead of doing the stuff people actually came to see.

Eh, it takes Watchmen about sixty seconds to give the idea of free energy more weight than we’ve gotten in a dozen hours of Tony Stark movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

Technically the Hulk is one character Thanos goes out of his way to avoid a fight against.

Didn't seem like it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The tectonic plates are something like 4% of the distance to the Earth's center at their thickest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

Jeeze, haven't you ever seen a horror or comedy with a packed audience? Why do you think sitcoms have laugh tracks?

Yeah, plenty of stuff plays better with a crowd. That said, being happy that somewhere a kid is probably crying isn't part of the theater experience and definitely comes off weird.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

Legendary film critic Steven Sadjak (positively) reevaluated his assessment of the movie in light of children tears so this perversion is not uncommon however twisted it may be.

No clue who that is, but there's a difference between taking note of someone else's actual reaction in your criticism and basing your enjoyment on the imagined reaction of a hypothetical child.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

beep boop what is oth-ther hu-mans?

People he imagined for himself are not other humans :ssh:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Covok posted:

It's a big crossover event that will ultimately not matter to the individual series where you come to see your favorite characters be awesome if other characters and then you move on.

I will say, this is the first one of these Avengers movies that actually feels like a big crossover. The Avengers and Age of Ultron reintroduce less characters than an Ocean's movie, whereas—while I'm not saying you couldn't follow this movie even if it was your first one—a lot more of Infinity War is built out of relatively unexplained references to previous installments. I don't know if that makes it good, but it was entertainingly novel.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

This was never the goal in Phase One.

Well, we did get a battle between villainous Tony Stark and heroic Steve Rogers, and that didn't come out of nowhere. The guys were at each others' throats throughout Avengers 1 and 2. Incredible Hulk has Tony Stark providing anti-Hulk tech and recruiting General Ross, building towards a version of the Civil War clash. It just got sidelined by Thanos into the Captain America sub-franchise.

And the basic logic of SHIELD keeping the Tesseract that Howard Stark recovered away from his son demands that something happen when Tony finally gets his hands on it. They just, again, sidelined him almost destroying the world into Age of Ultron, with the scepter instead because they're building up the Infinity Stones.

Basically it's, what if all the stuff that got dropped or sidetracked by obvious retcons was used in one storyline, and you get Tony Stark clashing with Captain America over using an Asgardian relic in a misguided attempt to protect humanity, causing mayhem on Earth and in Asgard: Ragnarok. It's the same basic metaplot as we got, but with Asgard more central, which would fit with how the Tesseract was portrayed before being retconned into an Infinity Stone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The time stone is the only one for which any work was done to present a consistent, coherent set of effects. The MCU does not take the idea of the universe being divisible into the six concepts of space, time, mind, soul, power, and reality particularly seriously, which I can't totally blame them for.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

"and i'm gonna have such a loving horse baby, you can't stop me"

They do say that revenge is a dish best served colt.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

To steer this discussion in a more positive direction, does anyone think the name Thanos was inspired by the greek god Thanatos?

I think the only way to not assume this is to have never heard of Thanatos.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

I mean if Thanos is correct that the only way to prevent Peak Everything is to kill half of everyone then, yeah of course. Half the universe being alive better than none of the universe being alive.

Thanos doesn't even claim that it's the only way to say the universe, but merely one way. He talks about killing the rich and poor alike, rather than focusing the solution to this apparent resource crisis on the people controlling a greater share of the resources. His goal is to not just save the universe, but to do so in a way that explicitly avoids enacting any form of justice. It's kinda hosed that in the movie with the most heroes ever, nobody seems particularly concerned with the latter.

Like, god help me for praising The Avengers, but that movie at least had a nod to Cap, Iron Man, and Thor actually representing different things and making the team-up about synthesizing character, genius, and tradition or whatever. By the time of Infinity War, the conflict is purely personal, so that we have arguments on a space ship between Tony Stark, Wizard Tony Stark, and Tony Stark Jr.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

who gives a poo poo what his ideology is

Apparently somebody, since the movie devotes screen time to him explaining his ideology.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Thats because the only thing that matters is that he has an ideology he thinks justifies the action. Not the specifics of the ideology. The whole point is that regardless of whether he’s right or wrong, or in pain from a past trauma, he is still not justified in his actions and needs to be stopped.

That's "the only thing that matters" because they don't disagree with him on anything but the material actions he wants to take. You can tell because they literally don't disagree with him on anything but the material actions he wants to take.

Millions were spent rendering a photorealistic giant purple man explaining his thought process, the world shifting and changing around him to illustrate his motivation for believing it and what he believes will occur if it's not followed. It's reasonable to pay attention to what he said.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ricdesi posted:

"I see a suit of armor around the world." If you're going to quote the movie, actually quote the movie. Incidentally, he also explicitly states that the Ultron Project is meant to deal with extraterrestrial threats only, leaving terrestrial problems alone. Bruce even comments that if it were activated, "the only people threatening the planet would be people". It gets kicked into gear as a result of Tony's trip through the wormhole and the vision given to him by Wanda of a larger invasion in which the Avengers are killed. It is a preventative measure meant to keep alien threats out.

Jarvis refers to Ultron as a "global peacekeeping initiative". Ultron states his nature, "I'm a peacekeeping program, created to help the Avengers." Lately, the Avenger peacekeeping operations have been dismantling Hydra, a decidedly Earthly threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is the equivalent of saying “hey that guy just punched that Nazi, but I didn’t hear him disagreeing with anything the Nazi said, he must be a secret Nazi too”

I could see your point if they just punched him. Instead, to use your Nazi analogy, we have a movie where the villain says that he's going to exterminate the Jews because they're subhuman filth, and the hero responds with outrage that murder is wrong. And it's like, yeah, murder is wrong, but we can note that the hero left the other part hanging.