Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:synpa:

Yeah I wonder, hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I used to do an ocarina of time rpg on gamefaqs. And potd for that post karma

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

gamefaqs was where i got my forums start. i posted mainly on the contest board- i think it was also known as Board 8 because that was the forum id. one of the regulars had one of my favorite usernames ever: pikaslutVSyoshimitsu

whoever wins, we lose

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I use gamefaqs for my bg2 area guides when I forfet where poo poo is.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Gamefags? Disgusting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I honestly didn't know gamefaqs had a forum. When I was younger I read guides from there all the time.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

I have a review of Madden 2002 for the Game Boy Advance I wrote when I was 13 or 14 on GameFAQ's. I like to read it once every few years so I don't accidentally stop hating myself.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Conch Shell Corp posted:

I have a review of Madden 2002 for the Game Boy Advance I wrote when I was 13 or 14 on GameFAQ's. I like to read it once every few years so I don't accidentally stop hating myself.

You may have been assigned to a low-priority platoon, but thank you for your service

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gamefaqs is owned by gamespot now? When did that happen?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Gamefaqs is owned by gamespot now? When did that happen?

like, probably a solid decade ago at this point dude.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

like, probably a solid decade ago at this point dude.

we're probably closer to two decades than we are to just one

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Pawn 17 posted:

gamefaqs wasn't nearly as influential to anything as you seem to think.

Reg date checks out.

I think GameFAQS had its brief renaissance as the masses fled AOL for broadband and its surprisingly good chat rooms and lovely proto message boards for gaming and people needed a new hub for it.

I don't think people born after a certain point realize how rapidly people went from no internet/PCs to AOL dialup exploding and people getting it/PCs via word of mouth to everyone getting hooked and jumping on the DSL and cable bandwagon as a result.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i like to think the last thing that went through cjaycs head other than that bullet was how the hell that xXxSephirothxXx got the best of him

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gamefaqs was always for mongoloid retards i was on the vault forums

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No one remembers gamewinners.com and that's for the best.

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
I remember I got banned from the gamefaqs message board for telling someone gently caress you, it was the best time of my life

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Caganer posted:

it's funny because it looks like his arm is his dick.

why do none of these "internet experts" know lueshi is a meme because it looks like mario has a massive boner

no it doestn

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I printed up the entire FAQ for Golden Sun as a kid, since I was going on a family road trip. It was like 100 pages and I used it to find EVERYTHING in that game and steamroll through every single boss. It was awesome.

It was a godsend for stuff like that, before that you had to ask kids in your neighborhood what was up and half the time they were bullshitting you anyway.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I used it to see Meryl without pants.

MERYLLLLLLL

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like that the GameFAQs format has remained the same, no gimmicky slow ad-infested multi-page guides or having to trawl a spoiler-filled wiki, but simple text files designed to be navigated by the search function and easily printed.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

I Said No posted:

You have one or more unread System Notifications. Please read them as soon as possible.

Nice AV/post combo

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Still have an account there, and it's nearing the second decade mark. I'll always be fond of it because it was such an amazing repository of stuff. How do I get the super weapon in X game? If it ain't in one of the many FAQs (some even with fancy ASCII graphics!), you could post on the associated forum, and later, just go through their version of Yahoo Answers.

Somehow, I keep lucking out in being able to keep the account active through the various mergers and re-formats, and whatnot. After a long stretch, I always seem to log in just as they're doing something.

I still visit the boards occasionally, and chime in now and then. I marvel a little bit at how much more... conservative, I suppose, the user base seems. It sometimes felt like a free-for-all in the late 90's, early 2000's era. But then, it makes sense. What young kid is going to post in GameFAQs in the year 2018? Well, maybe they do, but the "regulars" are probably all in their mid-20's and 30's now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My old forum was a gamefaqs spinoff, it's pretty obscure, you probably haven't heard of it. It wasn't gamefaqs spinoff "luelinks" eti.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Linnear posted:

Still have an account there, and it's nearing the second decade mark. I'll always be fond of it because it was such an amazing repository of stuff. How do I get the super weapon in X game? If it ain't in one of the many FAQs (some even with fancy ASCII graphics!), you could post on the associated forum, and later, just go through their version of Yahoo Answers.

Somehow, I keep lucking out in being able to keep the account active through the various mergers and re-formats, and whatnot. After a long stretch, I always seem to log in just as they're doing something.

I still visit the boards occasionally, and chime in now and then. I marvel a little bit at how much more... conservative, I suppose, the user base seems. It sometimes felt like a free-for-all in the late 90's, early 2000's era. But then, it makes sense. What young kid is going to post in GameFAQs in the year 2018? Well, maybe they do, but the "regulars" are probably all in their mid-20's and 30's now.

i always felt like the average age stayed the same, and it was part of growing up to move on to something else. also lol if you keep your account for a decade plus w/o getting banned by their crazy mods.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dr pizza

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My old forum was a gamefaqs spinoff, it's pretty obscure, you probably haven't heard of it. It wasn't gamefaqs spinoff "luelinks" eti.

Jeffrey of GameFAQs spinoff "luelinks" eti is a bit long tbh, so probably for the best

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Outboards? Secret Level?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Caganer posted:

Outboards? Secret Level?

Nope :smug:. I still see people here who used to post there, but I don't out them.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Nope :smug:. I still see people here who used to post there, but I don't out them.

comedy option: gamefaqs hell

and i actually ran across xsquader a few weeks back, poor guy is an insane sovcit now apparently.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I remember at one point one of the gameFAQs mods was actually caught on To Catch A Predator, the other mods responded by rallying around him and banning anyone who talked about the show to try and cover it up in solidarity with the fuckin pervo.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

I Said No posted:

I remember at one point one of the gameFAQs mods was actually caught on To Catch A Predator, the other mods responded by rallying around him and banning anyone who talked about the show to try and cover it up in solidarity with the fuckin pervo.

:five:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rasta_Al posted:

Gamefags? Disgusting

It really is/was, but ten bucks says most people here got their start there from crawling out of the protoplasm that was their message boards back in the early 00's

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm SailorBacon

Hello sailor bnacon

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is gamefaqs a soft or a hard ‘q’?

I doubt we’ll ever know for sure

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Inescapable Duck posted:

No one remembers gamewinners.com and that's for the best.

never forget

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I Said No posted:

Remember Sashanan, but also don't because the photos might still exist.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Parrotine posted:

It really is/was, but ten bucks says most people here got their start there from crawling out of the protoplasm that was their message boards back in the early 00's

Nah, a lot of us spent our early internet years on a bunch of lovely niche/fan boards dedicated to talking about how cool Warcraft 3 was going to be or playing some browser game or whatever and didn't get immersed in to broader "internet culture" until later. There's a lot of nostalgia for the dial-up and early broadband era and it was fun, but people tend to forget how atomized it was back in the days where "searching the web" basically meant going to Yahoo/aol/etc and trying to find the two things on the list that weren't some guy's lovely angelfire page.

Like, remember how important those "friends of the site?" links on websites used to be? You'd hear about one site from your friend in school and just follow the breadcrumbs to the next, but you'd miss a lot. In my case, that meant obsessively reading Maddox's site but having no idea what Seanbaby or Old Man Murray were or going to gamefaqs all the time, but not knowing they had a forum.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I first heard of this site because some Halo fansite I was reading at the time mentioned SA gave Halo a mean "review." Before we had Google, wikis, well-known aggregators, decent archive sites and the like, it was pretty easy to be "online" but still have no idea what was actually out there.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
The gamefaqs spinoff luelinks 'eti' probably never existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Duckbox posted:

Nah, a lot of us spent our early internet years on a bunch of lovely niche/fan boards dedicated to talking about how cool Warcraft 3 was going to be or playing some browser game or whatever and didn't get immersed in to broader "internet culture" until later. There's a lot of nostalgia for the dial-up and early broadband era and it was fun, but people tend to forget how atomized it was back in the days where "searching the web" basically meant going to Yahoo/aol/etc and trying to find the two things on the list that weren't some guy's lovely angelfire page.

Like, remember how important those "friends of the site?" links on websites used to be? You'd hear about one site from your friend in school and just follow the breadcrumbs to the next, but you'd miss a lot. In my case, that meant obsessively reading Maddox's site but having no idea what Seanbaby or Old Man Murray were or going to gamefaqs all the time, but not knowing they had a forum.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I first heard of this site because some Halo fansite I was reading at the time mentioned SA gave Halo a mean "review." Before we had Google, wikis, well-known aggregators, decent archive sites and the like, it was pretty easy to be "online" but still have no idea what was actually out there.

ah yes, webrings.

i also found a bunch of good stuff through cruel.com

textfiles.com also really was a good find, i wasted a lot of time in the very early 2000s on there

• Locked thread