Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Duckbox posted:

Nah, a lot of us spent our early internet years on a bunch of lovely niche/fan boards dedicated to talking about how cool Warcraft 3 was going to be or playing some browser game or whatever and didn't get immersed in to broader "internet culture" until later. There's a lot of nostalgia for the dial-up and early broadband era and it was fun, but people tend to forget how atomized it was back in the days where "searching the web" basically meant going to Yahoo/aol/etc and trying to find the two things on the list that weren't some guy's lovely angelfire page.

Like, remember how important those "friends of the site?" links on websites used to be? You'd hear about one site from your friend in school and just follow the breadcrumbs to the next, but you'd miss a lot. In my case, that meant obsessively reading Maddox's site but having no idea what Seanbaby or Old Man Murray were or going to gamefaqs all the time, but not knowing they had a forum.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I first heard of this site because some Halo fansite I was reading at the time mentioned SA gave Halo a mean "review." Before we had Google, wikis, well-known aggregators, decent archive sites and the like, it was pretty easy to be "online" but still have no idea what was actually out there.

This post made me think of web rings for the first time in nearly 20 years. Such a quaint concept now, but they were really helpful back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

RumbleFish posted:

This post made me think of web rings for the first time in nearly 20 years. Such a quaint concept now, but they were really helpful back then.

i remember the pokemon ones would be like 1 decent site and 20-30 kids who made their first geocities site, with a few rumor mills sprinkled in.

i miss the pokemon factory, which used to make fake pokemon (but labeled them all as fake it was just for fun) and people would steal their art and claim they were leaked gold/silver pokemon

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

my gamefaqs account used to be created in 2000 but then the server time got bumped up a few hours and now it says 2001

i'm really upset about that

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

fisting by many posted:

my gamefaqs account used to be created in 2000 but then the server time got bumped up a few hours and now it says 2001

i'm really upset about that

DEAR RICHARD JEFF,

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Sounds like a thrilling NYE.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i would have registered earlier but aol kept eating the verification emails

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
having to post every single day in order to be someone whose posts are worth reading was an idea way ahead of its time

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I was regular gameFAQs user/gamer kid turned into an edgy LUE tween that gravitated toward the spinoff forums. It was not a time I look fondly back on, though I am grateful I didn't shake out into some 4chan troll. There are worse things than you goons.

Didn't gamefaqs have some level or tier system that required you to be active daily to get titles that people used to measure epeen?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

onemanlan posted:

I was regular gameFAQs user/gamer kid turned into an edgy LUE tween that gravitated toward the spinoff forums. It was not a time I look fondly back on, though I am grateful I didn't shake out into some 4chan troll. There are worse things than you goons.

Didn't gamefaqs have some level or tier system that required you to be active daily to get titles that people used to measure epeen?

yeah which sucked if you weren't a dweeb since you could get banned for almost anything

(posting memes was "disruptive posting" and caught a 2 day probe IIRC)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

onemanlan posted:

yes

every day (can't remember if it was the server time zone or what) you could earn one "karma" by posting that day

at specific levels of karma you would level up. at the higher levels there was a new "social" forum you could read and post in with each rank

it resulted in exactly the kind of dumb elitism you are imagining. i recall at one point someone was given moderator privileges who wasn't of the highest rank that then existed, and loving uproar ensured because they could then read and post in the associated social forum (moderators being at a higher rank than normally attainable).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You didn't have to post every day, just have one active post.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Trap sprung

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I thought it was you just had to log in. If it's active thread lol, because I have like 10 posts one just happened to be a pinned yugioh card forum that no one posts in (apparently I'm elite status).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i posted in LUE exactly once and got made fun of bc my gamefaqs name was a weed joke

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Caganer posted:

yeah which sucked if you weren't a dweeb since you could get banned for almost anything

(posting memes was "disruptive posting" and caught a 2 day probe IIRC)

the mario riding yoshi ascii was an automatic ban lmao

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

the mario riding yoshi ascii was an automatic ban lmao

yeah apparently genesplicer modded gamefaqs as well

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
All the moderator-related stuff was :siren:SUPER TOP SECRET:siren:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

magikid posted:

All the moderator-related stuff was :siren:SUPER TOP SECRET:siren:

cronogamer once leaked a bunch

he works for the state department now lmfao

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back metamod

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

I do like that the GameFAQs format has remained the same, no gimmicky slow ad-infested multi-page guides or having to trawl a spoiler-filled wiki, but simple text files designed to be navigated by the search function and easily printed.

Truly this is technology of old. I wonder if it's what looking in the library of Alexandria was like.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I don't know if it changed at some point but when I had an account (2001 or so) it definitely was you had to post once a day to get karma for that day. You would get people making posts that were just "posting for karma lol" and sometimes they would be penalised for it because it was against the rules

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Hammerite posted:

I don't know if it changed at some point but when I had an account (2001 or so) it definitely was you had to post once a day to get karma for that day. You would get people making posts that were just "posting for karma lol" and sometimes they would be penalised for it because it was against the rules

that's part of why people had secret boards, the rules were relaxed and they'd make stupid games to have an excuse to post

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Caganer posted:

i remember the pokemon ones would be like 1 decent site and 20-30 kids who made their first geocities site, with a few rumor mills sprinkled in.

i miss the pokemon factory, which used to make fake pokemon (but labeled them all as fake it was just for fun) and people would steal their art and claim they were leaked gold/silver pokemon

Holy moly that takes me back. I remember using "yahooligans" in fourth or fifth grade and going to all the lovely Pokemon geocities. I remember one had a long rant about how Pokemon was great, but digimon was a plague on the anime world ("anime," what's that?) I believe it was signed "Officer Jenny." Anyway, I printed it out and showed it to my mom and she landed what were, in retrospect, some pretty sick burns and that was my first experience with nerd elitism and also getting made fun of for nerd elitism.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

precision posted:

i posted in LUE exactly once and got made fun of bc my gamefaqs name was a weed joke
prudes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mostly hung out on the Contests board, because it had a cooler, older crowd. Which meant it was half people posting real elaborate long-form opinions about which tertiary Ace Attorney characters were most well-rounded and realistic, and a bunch of redpillers who were idolized for being sexhavers. The internet hasn't really changed at all.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
I as well still have a gamefaqs account but only use it to find out how to do [thing] in old games.

It's kind of amazing how it's still a thing, and still (mostly) text based.

Next you know someone ITT will tell me that videogame MIDI site is still around

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I migrated here from GameFAQS

Im still a white noise shitposter

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I migrated here from GameFAQS

Im still a white noise shitposter

:same:

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

That's not the WTC, that's Nakatomi Plaza.

Never forget.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I fondly remember finding pics of Vida Guerra to beat off to in LUE engaging in fascinating discussions on how Sonic was NOT in Super Smash Bros Melee.

But honestly, I remember joining some small offshoot forum after that. It was really small community but was cool until eventually it got bought out by some lovely game website and phased out of existence. Error 404, I think the forum was called?

But yeah, it was mostly looking at pics of that big ol' cuban booty.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mostly hung out on the Contests board, because it had a cooler, older crowd. Which meant it was half people posting real elaborate long-form opinions about which tertiary Ace Attorney characters were most well-rounded and realistic, and a bunch of redpillers who were idolized for being sexhavers. The internet hasn't really changed at all.
sup fellow board 8 regular

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Word up. I think it's still the same 20 people running that forum.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The votes are in and for the 14th year in a row the forums have determined that Goku would beat Cloud, Sonic, Megaman, Oddjob, and Kerrigan in a fight. See you next year!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

HJB posted:

Remember Sashanan, but also don't because the photos might still exist.

i remember this dude was A Big Deal on the diablo 2 forums back in the day

gently caress im getting old

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yestermoment posted:

I fondly remember finding pics of Vida Guerra to beat off to in LUE engaging in fascinating discussions on how Sonic was NOT in Super Smash Bros Melee.

But honestly, I remember joining some small offshoot forum after that. It was really small community but was cool until eventually it got bought out by some lovely game website and phased out of existence. Error 404, I think the forum was called?

But yeah, it was mostly looking at pics of that big ol' cuban booty.
Ding ding ding, this was the one. The site survived at another url after getting bought out, lol. I won a PSP in a stupid contest the original buying out site did, which was cool.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Docahedron posted:

I as well still have a gamefaqs account but only use it to find out how to do [thing] in old games.

It's kind of amazing how it's still a thing, and still (mostly) text based.

Next you know someone ITT will tell me that videogame MIDI site is still around

I would still listen to some good midi stuff right now

Is this the place to bwhip out my 3000 karma account and pwn all you noobs

also my 100 video game reviews I wrote when I was 13

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ding ding ding, this was the one. The site survived at another url after getting bought out, lol. I won a PSP in a stupid contest the original buying out site did, which was cool.

The game site (GameDaily) wanted to acquire an established community because they figured nobody would want to sign up for a dead empty forum. But then they never really did anything with it and I am not sure a single person registered to talk about video games :shrug: IIRC they paid $3,000 for the forums. Not bad for an invision board gamefaqs spinoff.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Toonzone Forums were the poo poo for Adult Swim discussion

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

fisting by many posted:

The game site (GameDaily) wanted to acquire an established community because they figured nobody would want to sign up for a dead empty forum. But then they never really did anything with it and I am not sure a single person registered to talk about video games :shrug: IIRC they paid $3,000 for the forums. Not bad for an invision board gamefaqs spinoff.

Yeah lol, they tried a bit but they instituted unpopular rules like no nws. They gave me a psp for getting their lovely website linked on slashdot. Everyone called them buttdaily and made buttdaily sigs and they gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I can't login to my account because I dunno my password and the reset email address no longer exists.
gently caress.
I just wanted to see what LUE looks like now.

• Locked thread