Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

McTimmy posted:

That Robo-OG Pidge is actually a robo Chip, OG-Pidge's brother from Vehicle.

Making a robot, and naming it Chip is a warcrime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Only wholesome names like Hardware allowed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Not content with just saving her family from an evil intergalactic empire, Pidge also had to go and build herself a new little brother.

That girl has too much free time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Started watching this a few days ago. I didn't watch a lot of Voltron as a kid, but I don't recall them using the individual lions as much as they do here, which has been pretty cool.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The old lions basically destroyed the episode's Doom Fleet/Army before forming Voltron because they were mad useless against the Robeast. They never really reached "solve the episode's non-fighty problems" that the LD Lions do.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Working through season 5 now. How high do you have to be to forget that you're not only married, but gave birth to a son?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SardonicTyrant posted:

Working through season 5 now. How high do you have to be to forget that you're not only married, but gave birth to a son?

quintessence: not even once

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SardonicTyrant posted:

I dunno hasn't it been like hundreds of years? I imagine it's possible, on a long enough timeline. Your brain maybe just can't hold enough information

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheChirurgeon posted:

I dunno hasn't it been like hundreds of years? I imagine it's possible, on a long enough timeline. Your brain maybe just can't hold enough information

10,000 years I thought?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The_Doctor posted:

10,000 years I thought?

Ok, so even more then. I suspect you could forget just about anything over 10,000 years. Hagar probably looked over at Zarkon more than a dozen times and was like "man, why am I hanging out with this dude again?"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TheChirurgeon posted:

But Lotor's about the same age as the Paladins, maybe a bit older. So either Haggar had him relatively recently or Lotor is super old as well.

I mean it's fine, it doesn't bug me, but it's kinda funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SardonicTyrant posted:

But Lotor's about the same age as the Paladins, maybe a bit older. So either Haggar had him relatively recently or Lotor is super old as well.

Lotor is super old too.

quote:

According to series staff, Lotor is 10,000 years old because he was already conceived by the time Honerva entered the rift on Daibazaal. He was born after she became Haggar and admits to living several centuries' worth of time. The exposure to Quintessence of the rift, which has become part of his DNA, allows him to retain a youthful appearance, as his body ages at a much slower rate than other Galra.
Allura was born before Lotor, but because she was put in a stasis sleep for 10,000 years and he instead experienced those 10,000 years' worth of time, Lotor is older than her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Extreme quintessence exposure apparently slows or stops the aging process. Lotor was physically about 19-21, but it's outright stated that he's also thousands of years old like Zarkon and Haggar/Honerva are. Though before that I'd seen people postulating that Lotor was a clone and that Haggar had been doing a Hank/Dean Venture scheme with an endless stream of Lotor clones and downloading his memories into a new body every time the prior Lotor died or rebelled or what not to create the illusion that Lotor's also been around forever too.

E: ^^^

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Garfle Warfle Snikt :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/voltron/status/1062737013638606849

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

I watch this show with my younger brother, and we've already got this marked on our calendars. I'm hyped to see how they wrap up the series, the back-half of S7 was so intense that poo poo's gonna get bananas if they want to top it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

omgggggggg you guys I watched all of s7 thinking that it was the final season, that bit at the end had me dying.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

omgggggggg you guys I watched all of s7 thinking that it was the final season, that bit at the end had me dying.

That would make for one hell of an unsatisfying cliffhanger series ending.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I don't think this has been mentioned anywhere in the thread, but if you are a sucker for creator commentary the VLD crew have been covering two episodes weekly for a while now https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id1411659171. I've only checked out a few myself but there's some pretty interesting stuff in here.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCNVy7-0Wo

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Voltron season 8: The terrible secret of milkshakes

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Voltron season 8: The terrible secret of milkshakes

Kaltenecker was a bull all along

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Kaltenecker was a bull all along

Shiro always knew. :dance:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
New season tomorrow!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

So does it come out at midnight tonight, or when exactly?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
West coast midnight, I think.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
No spoilers, but I'm really pleased with the ending of V:LD, in terms of it being satisfying. End of an era!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it was a solid ending.

That loving Metal Gear though!

Also Colleen Holt: Her scenes with Pidge, like, perfectly explain both characters somehow.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 15, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That was a great final season. I really loved that last episode.

Did anyone notice that Pidge made Vehicle Voltron in that ending montage?

Also good on them for the last shot of the series being two dudes kissing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

Did anyone notice that Pidge made Vehicle Voltron in that ending montage?

Yes. That was great.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Spoilers and I have a few episodes left on this children's cartoon to go:

The whole Lance and Allura romance arc that suddenly just loving BLOSSOMED kind of felt off to me since I just didn't feel any chemistry between them, but I guess it was cute? It seemed like they were just giving her a romance so she could lose it later though. Again. :confused:
Katie and her mom are great. Hunk and Bebe the dog are also great. Then again anything with Hunk is going to be adorable. :3:
I was kind of hoping they would pull Lotor back through the rift and do some redemption poo poo with him but nope. Lotor was just a corpse fused into a pilot seat. Dang.
Honerva going ultimate unstoppable sad mom and being stupidly more powerful than Zarkon and anything else in the universe was pretty good. Poor sad mom. Poor dead Lotor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, I’m watching this all on Tuesday to last me a really long day’s flying. Gotta hold out till then!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Spoilers and I have a few episodes left on this children's cartoon to go:

The whole Lance and Allura romance arc that suddenly just loving BLOSSOMED kind of felt off to me since I just didn't feel any chemistry between them, but I guess it was cute? It seemed like they were just giving her a romance so she could lose it later though. Again. :confused:
Katie and her mom are great. Hunk and Bebe the dog are also great. Then again anything with Hunk is going to be adorable. :3:
I was kind of hoping they would pull Lotor back through the rift and do some redemption poo poo with him but nope. Lotor was just a corpse fused into a pilot seat. Dang.
Honerva going ultimate unstoppable sad mom and being stupidly more powerful than Zarkon and anything else in the universe was pretty good. Poor sad mom. Poor dead Lotor.

I don’t think I’ve seen a more satisfying, more complete conclusion to a show since maybe Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is appropriate given Voltron’s Avatar pedigree.

Atlas Voltron was a piece of amazing bullshit and I loved every second that it was on screen.

As for Lotor, I think he was redeemed in the end. If nothing else he was at least vindicated. Allura straight up says to Honerva, “Look, he really did mean well and he could have been a great person, but you and Zarkon just kinda hosed him by being lovely parents, so that’s on you.” His spirit being there with the rest of the OG Paladins to welcome Allura and Honerva home shows he at least got some kind of happy ending too, if not in life.

Come to think of it, pretty much everyone gets a happy ending at the end of the day. Lance’s is a little bittersweet, but him and Allura were always a pipe dream anyway. I just wish that was Keith kissing Shiro at the end of the show, but what can ya do.

In conclusion, Voltron is a land of contrasts, and one amazing show and one hell of a high note for Andrea Romano to end her career on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I finished it and I'm not sure a lot of that worked. Seems like a troubled production that led to some plotlines being shortchanged (Lotor, the magic black space balls, Hunk's LI, the return of the amazing space lesbians) or handled, bizarrely, completely offscreen (whatever was going on with the Balmora at the end there, Shiro hooking up with co-pilot Number 7, Alteans rebelling against Honerva -- other than that one random pilot tries it and then explodes). I guess my read's concomitant with some of the production stuff I've heard as well, about last minute changes.

There's some really, really great episodes in there though. But there's a few too many developments in the final episodes and the climax becomes a bit random and arbitrary.

Laughed pretty hard at how brazen that final shot is. Impressed, for a variety of reasons, but at the same time disappointed by the frustrating trend it represents. But it's good! But it's disappointing!

But the show's good!

nine-gear crow posted:

In conclusion, Voltron is a land of contrasts, and one amazing show and one hell of a high note for Andrea Romano to end her career on.

Wait, what? No!

Sad now. She's great, a total mainstay of high quality animation, and classy lady probably; I've just decided.

Oh wow, poo poo. Optic neuropathy. That's hosed. -____-

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 15, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That final shot is a blatant last-second “please forgive us, we’re really sorry” response to the backlash over fridging Adam last season, so yeah I’ll give you that one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

That final shot is a blatant last-second “please forgive us, we’re really sorry” response to the backlash over fridging Adam last season, so yeah I’ll give you that one.

Yeah, I'm mostly happy that it exists within the show itself...

My frustrations, in respect to their priority, are: a) it represents the third animated kids show I can think of that's been forced to reveal its queerness in its final scene, (after Korra and Adventure Time), a recurring trend that makes me incredibly angry at how deeply gutless Dreamworks is, b) the other guy had maybe two lines the entire show and I only remembered who he was because he's the extra who I kept getting confused with camera dude, and c) it's not Keith.

And yeah, I can absolutely believe that it was added in at the last minute. Though what I heard was that they had to have actors in to record lines for some of the new material, so even if it was a last minute addition, it can't have been the only thing.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Man that was a great finale, I ended the show feeling completely satisfied which is rare. I really love how they took the time to give so many side characters moments and didn't deprive us of the fun, light-hearted episodes the show is so good at just because it's the last season. Day Forty-Seven and Clear Day were incredibly charming, and I had a big stupid grin on my face during the entire conclusion to the arm wrestling competition, holy poo poo Shiro. V:LD easily earns a spot next to ATLA as one of my favorite cartoons.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've got four episodes left and so far I wish we had a season between the finale of the adventures of the Atlas.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly happy that it exists within the show itself...

My frustrations, in respect to their priority, are: a) it represents the third animated kids show I can think of that's been forced to reveal its queerness in its final scene, (after Korra and Adventure Time), a recurring trend that makes me incredibly angry at how deeply gutless Dreamworks is, b) the other guy had maybe two lines the entire show and I only remembered who he was because he's the extra who I kept getting confused with camera dude, and c) it's not Keith.

And yeah, I can absolutely believe that it was added in at the last minute. Though what I heard was that they had to have actors in to record lines for some of the new material, so even if it was a last minute addition, it can't have been the only thing.

The stuff with Zethrid and Ezor really felt like a last minute change. Like, at first you think that Ezor died in that explosion from the last season and Zethrid is out for revenge but oh wait! At the last second Acxa shows up to say that Ezor is alive, she just left Zethrid because she couldn't get over her anger or something(how does Acxa know this?). Then it ends with Zethrid and Ezor getting back together, except Ezor never says anything, probably because they couldn't get her voice actor back. Like, I liked it, but it also felt like a last minute backtrack after blowing them up in the last season.

Only slightly related but you'd think with all their advanced healing technology, they'd be able to do something for Zethrid's face after she joined the coalition.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Going through slow due to RL stuff but thoughts on Ep1

Old Pidge's voice was actually even higher than the video made it seem.

Ironically, due to the way old Voltron was cut Lance/Allura had more grounds to than Keith/Allura despite what Hunk said.

Hunk being a total bro was good to see.

Coleen being such a mom was amazing.

Pidge and Allura's foray into their old costumes was great.

Awwww neat, Lance/Allura confirmed.

Old Pidge being a space ninja wasn't actually brought up until Voltron Force.

EP5 OK, they survived, neat, even if silly. But it really feels like there's an episode missing from last season explaining that and the break-up and how Acxa even knew that.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 16, 2018