Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

nine-gear crow posted:

Josh Keaton is a beautiful gift we do not deserve :allears:

He loves the characters he plays so much! And is clearly living his best life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I need the scarf he's wearing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GGundam8 posted:

The ending was a big let down.
There were way too many out of nowhere power ups. Even the characters didn't know what was going on. That is just bad writing. It gave me nightmare flashbacks of Korra Season 2. Just like Korra it tries to use a razzmatazz ending with Shiro to change the conversation from the poo poo sandwich they just served up. However, it biggest sin is they never used the OG blazing sword. I keep hope to very end because it would have been the perfect send off. I know this one is on me but this is one of the only lion series not to use it.

You care about that?

gently caress.

I just want to know what the Blue Bayard does on its own. :iiam:

EDIT: Also, I really wanted to see Lotor's hosed up corpse that had merged/been splattered into the cockpit of that mech... all we got was the hint of it, and I bet it was some crazy Akira/Evangelion hybrid nightmare fuel monstrosity.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 19, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Yeah, it seemed like some storylines got dropped. Whatever happened to Shiro's Space AIDS or whatever disease he had? Probably cured when he moved to a clone body?

I loved it though. The only thing that kinda rustled my jimmies was that Voltron and Atlas, and even Voltron and Atlas when they got merged (Voltlas? Atlatron?) got completely wrecked in every battle basically the entirety of s7 and s8. I know they gotta create suspense somehow, but I didn't love that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The true greatest tragedy was that despite the nod to the original cartoon this season, they never once dropped anything relating to the original theme music. Was really hoping for them to bust out a version of it as the final epilogue or credit music, but nope.

I bet if they had, the internet would have been less angry.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

The true greatest tragedy was that despite the nod to the original cartoon this season, they never once dropped anything relating to the original theme music. Was really hoping for them to bust out a version of it as the final epilogue or credit music, but nope.

Legal issues meant they couldn't use the old theme.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I enjoyed how the lions just loving BAILED at the end. I guess it was some sort of stylish 'Well the universe is at peace so we will go until we are needed again' but all I could think of was an extremely irritable Pidge calling up her irritable mom and needing to ask for money for a space taxi because Green just loving flaked out on the whole galaxy or something.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I enjoyed how the lions just loving BAILED at the end. I guess it was some sort of stylish 'Well the universe is at peace so we will go until we are needed again' but all I could think of was an extremely irritable Pidge calling up her irritable mom and needing to ask for money for a space taxi because Green just loving flaked out on the whole galaxy or something.

They're all just going to next door realities to get a second dinner and a scritch at the door until it's brought out.

At least that's mine and my 4 yr old's current theory.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I still think Honerva needed to be punched in the face.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Fuzz posted:

I still think Honerva needed to be punched in the face.

by Lotor

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
The final episodes would have been better if Honerva's efforts had been completely validated in the paradise dimension she found. having her get ready to nega blast her family after being 100% dedicated to reunited with them up to that point seemed like a hamfisted way to make her more generically evil for the final action set pieces. i would have liked it a lot more if she really did get exactly what she wanted, and voltron was forced to take that away from her to restore reality to stability

Ghostnuke posted:

I loved it though. The only thing that kinda rustled my jimmies was that Voltron and Atlas, and even Voltron and Atlas when they got merged (Voltlas? Atlatron?) got completely wrecked in every battle basically the entirety of s7 and s8. I know they gotta create suspense somehow, but I didn't love that.

the combat direction got pretty stale toward the end. There should have been more one-sided fights. there were a few good episodes that did that earlier in the series, particularly the season 7 episode where they get captured by ezor and zethrid, and the one in season 2 when they need to get away from the galra fleet but the teludav is busted, but by season 8 every single fight is them being mostly even with their opponent until they use whatever trump card lets them instantly finish in one blow. even when that's totally ridiculous, like the dream versions of earlier robeasts, which really should have been chump change by then and would have been a great way to show how far the paladins have gotten since the start of the series

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
still, as much as i've whined about the show for the last two posts i truly have to give it props for giving me Azula Girl Gang 2.0

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't there a live action Voltron movie in the works? I'm assuming it will be nothing like Legendary Defender, if even that much close to the original series.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I felt the ending was too rushed. They could have spent a few extra minutes to expand the "where are they now" part to show more of what they were doing.

Also, was I supposed to remember Shiro's husband?

nine-gear crow posted:

That final shot is a blatant last-second “please forgive us, we’re really sorry” response to the backlash over fridging Adam last season, so yeah I’ll give you that one.
If you think about it, they technically fridged Shiro too. :v:

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 22, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

I felt the ending was too rushed. They could have spent a few extra minutes to expand the "where are they now" part to show more of what they were doing.

Also, was I supposed to remember Shiro's husband?

Yes*. He's a bridge operator stationed behind Iverson on the Atlas. He's just kind of there all season and has a few housekeeping lines here and there, but that's it. I don't think he even gets a name, so I'm just gonna call him Adam-2, because that's basically what he is; the producers going "We're really sorry we killed Adam for no reason, please like us again."

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

There might be money issues with that music

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

shadowvine118 posted:

Isn't there a live action Voltron movie in the works? I'm assuming it will be nothing like Legendary Defender, if even that much close to the original series.

There is, but to date pretty much no specific information has come out:

https://bestofcomicbooks.com/live-action-voltron-movie-is-in-active-development-and-it-is-going-to-be-great-new-details-surfaced/

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked this show a lot but I was mostly bored this season. Lots of static shots of swirly purple magic garbage all over the screen. I wonder if their budget was cut, or if they just didn't have enough for every fight, because it almost felt like they were trying to avoid animating stuff.

How did anyone know what to do during the end fight there? allura spouts some destiny crap and magically sacrifices herself by uhhh... reverting the magic of Haggars mech which ughh... restores all the other realities for some reason? then they float off to hang out with some force ghosts

I also only just remembered the evil entity she asorbed and we had a couple of episodes foreshadowing her becoming evil and 100% chance of Lance having to do the "I love you speech" to save her but I guess that got dropped.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 22, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ending spoilers:

hemale in pain posted:

How did anyone know what to do during the end fight there? allura spouts some destiny crap and magically sacrifices herself by uhhh... reverting the magic of Haggars mech which ughh... restores all the other realities for some reason? then they float off to hang out with some force ghosts

It's a thematic thing.

All season Haggar's been the sort of anti-Voltron; she claims she wants her people to work with her and for them to together find the promised land, but she's just interested in using and discarding the Alteans she controls, justifying it by claiming their sacrifices are made for the greater good. Of course, it's not for the greater good, it's all about her supporting her selfish needs and healing her pain. She lost her family, and they're the only people who matter to her.

(Basically, Voltron's all about teamwork, Haggar's all about exploitation).

At the end of the show, Haggar's absorbed an insane amount of power, but she only has the knowledge of how to use quintessence to destroy. Thanks to her bond with Lotor, Alura knows how to use the quintessence to create life, but she doesn't have the power to do so. Allura voluntarily gives her knowledge and essence to Haggar, so that Haggar can restore the universe, in a process that kills them both. Haggar's allowed to be a mother again (she gives birth to universes) and honours her son's legacy in a way that prioritises the needs of others (the universes get to live!) over her own needs (Haggar dies!).

Allura... I guess she saves her people by giving up her body and her life? It's not a terribly good ending for Allura tbh.

They ascend / go to heaven / whatever, to suggest that even though they're dying they both getting what they truly want out of this.

I don't love it, but I think it makes some sense.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The part where the Alteans storm the bridge was maybe the dumbest moment of the whole show. Six unarmed morons break out of a cell and walk right onto the bridge and no one so much as even attempts to stop them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

The part where the Alteans storm the bridge was maybe the dumbest moment of the whole show. Six unarmed morons break out of a cell and walk right onto the bridge and no one so much as even attempts to stop them.

They could punch through doors with their bare hands, I'd imagine they're not pushovers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

If Zethrid could punch her way onto the bridge alone then anyone could at that point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

nine-gear crow posted:

If Zethrid could punch her way onto the bridge alone then anyone could at that point.

The Atlas really should have invested in like, a security team or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Atlatron looked stupid.

Fight me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like they set up subplots but they were lost in favor of the mind stuff and the Gurran Lagan/Eva final battle.

Like hey lets suggest a friendship (or more) between Veronica and Acxa, but then just forget it, like all the supporting cast. That stuff felt very unsatisfying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I dunno, they were pretty heavily trying to imply a relationship with Keith and Acxa, I thought, but then it sorta fizzled out.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, they were pretty heavily trying to imply a relationship with Keith and Acxa, I thought, but then it sorta fizzled out.

I'm sort of glad it didn't go anywhere. It's a little problematic if they send a message of "He saved her life, now he gets rewarded with her love."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tribbledirigible posted:

I'm sort of glad it didn't go anywhere. It's a little problematic if they send a message of "He saved her life, now he gets rewarded with her love."

Yea, Veronica and Axca could bond over being very professional and deadly soldiers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fuzz posted:

Atlatron looked stupid.

Fight me.

That level of ridiculous nonsense worked much better in Gurren Lagann when it wasn't being played serious

Also I was wrong; the dumbest part of the show was when Voltron got drained of all its energy for the 18th time only for everyone to again realize that Voltron is really powered by friendship and then they suddenly got up again and did have the power

Agreed that the "where did they all end up" section was cool and could have stood to be a little longer.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I want a sequel with Pidge's Vehicle Voltron.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
My favorite parts were when it felt like Star Trek with all these humans and aliens chatting about cultural differences and Iverson's dog. Just give me a whole season like the camcorder episode and the Zethrid episode and I would have been pleased as punch.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I would watch the hell out of a Galaxy Garrison office comedy type show, with huge inter-galactic conflicts happening incidentally in the background.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That would rule. I liked that moment where Iverson and some other humans are in the gym, struggling with the exercise while Acxa is in the background casually lifting her own body weight with one hand.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Some people are really mad about this season.

I don't know much about animation but I feel like the level of editing they're suggesting for a four month time frame is utterly impossible.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Pyrotoad posted:

Some people are really mad about this season.

I don't know much about animation but I feel like the level of editing they're suggesting for a four month time frame is utterly impossible.

uhh, dang. that sure is a thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostnuke posted:

uhh, dang. that sure is a thing.

Yeah :stare:

Like, I agree that Lotor got screwed by some slapdash writing and was made into a monster at the last second for no reason other than Plot, but wow...

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Best part is that they think crying to Dreamworks will somehow fix EVERYTHING wrong with the season, which is of course everything about it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey folks, sometimes you need to write a multipage screed about how you know that really, all the space-warriors should of hooked up the way you were hoping. And they would have, too, if not for those meddling executives and their dog!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The thing that I find oddly amusing was that Lotor was monsterized on the word of one traumatized kid and we never actually saw the other quintessence vampire Altean colony first hand. So maybe the kid just got the details spectacularly wrong and Lotor rightly lost his poo poo over all his friends turning on him and trying to kill him over what was basically the universe's worst game of telephone tag ever. (I'm joking and do take the show at face value, I just think it's funny to interpret it that way.)

tl;dr; gently caress Romelle's little poo poo brother. Justice for Lotor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that I find oddly amusing was that Lotor was monsterized on the word of one traumatized kid and we never actually saw the other quintessence vampire Altean colony first hand.

We do see the second colony, in an episode called "The Colony." Keith and Krolia are the ones that take Romelle there in the first place :v: