Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I can't believe Lance is a furry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's up!

Lol @ that DnD episode. Basically everything Shiro did was perfect.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Welp. Lotor went full on evil. And he'll probably return as some kind of quintessence monster like his dad. Not sure what's going to happen with the Galra now though, guess Sendak is gonna take over.

Can't wait for the next season, we're going back to Earth!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Twin Brother theory was true... in D&D! I thought for sure that was going to be a Chekov's gun :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kazy posted:

The Twin Brother theory was true... in D&D! I thought for sure that was going to be a Chekov's gun :v:

Shiro has now become his own clone!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, thanks for posting, I would have completely missed new episodes!

drat those were good, like always.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 16, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Kinda curious how Lotor's former henchwomen are going to handle being stranded on an asteroid near that giant kaboom the castle set off at the end.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Kinda curious how Lotor's former henchwomen are going to handle being stranded on an asteroid near that giant kaboom the castle set off at the end.

They've kind of betrayed everyone they've ever worked for, so I'm curious as to what they'll do next. I guess they can...go work for Sendak? Would he take them in?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not finished the season yet, but that Keith / Shiro episode was something else. Most intense kids cartoon since Korra, probably. Just wish they had something closer to that show's budget so they could do that kind of thing more regularly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Very strong 'season', those last four eps were an amazing stretch that paid off a ton of stuff I was waiting on.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, this was probably the strongest string of episodes in a long while. It helped that it finally started paying off several plotlines which kind of meandered for awhile with no clear explanations where they were going.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fuckin riiiip Lotor... for now, I’m guessing. So does that makes Honerva the big bad now? She seems to cruising into the job simply by surviving everyone else dropping dead around her. I’m glad we have the real Shiro back finally and I’m super pumped for them headed back to Earth for the first time too.

But holy poo poo, that D&D episode was fantastic. I loved how Shiro just kept randomly dying and then re-rolling as the same character because he’s an uncreative gently caress. The second time it happened, I did a full-on spit take.

I also like how they managed to find a way to have Allura’s 80s character design show up as a different character. That was a cool little nod.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 18, 2018

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I also like how they managed to find a way to have Allura’s 80s character design show up as a different character. That was a cool little nod.

Romelle is from the original DoTU, her and Allura were copy pasted character designs with different hair. I was excited to see her finally show up and I can't wait to see what they do with her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YES bread posted:

Romelle is from the original DoTU, her and Allura were copy pasted character designs with different hair. I was excited to see her finally show up and I can't wait to see what they do with her.

Ah. I'd never seen the original show, but was familiar with certain aspects of it. So that explains a few things. That's pretty cool all told.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
At first I was frustrated that with only 7 episodes one was being used to just mess around in Space D&D, but everything after was so packed with content that having a one-off jokey episode actually felt sorta necessary. I can't decide if Shiro being uncreative, or his clone being programmed to only be Shiro the Black Paladin is a more fun interpretation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheHan posted:

At first I was frustrated that with only 7 episodes one was being used to just mess around in Space D&D, but everything after was so packed with content that having a one-off jokey episode actually felt sorta necessary. I can't decide if Shiro being uncreative, or his clone being programmed to only be Shiro the Black Paladin is a more fun interpretation.

my headcanon is both. If the real shiro had been there, he wouledve played mostly the same. But CloneShiro did it to rp as Shiro

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

my headcanon is both. If the real shiro had been there, he wouledve played mostly the same. But CloneShiro did it to rp as Shiro

That was my take too. I love how it just as easily works both ways when you stop and think about it. Real Shiro is an uncreative dork dad, and Clone Shiro was programmed to be Shiro, no matter what.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Fuckin riiiip Lotor... for now, I’m guessing. So does that makes Honerva the big bad now? She seems to cruising into the job simply by surviving everyone else dropping dead around her. I’m glad we have the real Shiro back finally and I’m super pumped for them headed back to Earth for the first time too.

Well Sendak is still around, but he strikes me as more of a mid-boss. He'll probably take over the galra empire now and keep Voltron occupied while Haggar does her thing in the background. There's also Lotor's generals. I figured they would eventually join up with Voltron, but they've betrayed everyone they've ever worked for at this point, so who knows if anyone should even trust them. Lotor's probably going to come back at some point, but who knows how his time in the quintessence dimension has affected him.

Also, I thought it was kind of silly that Keith randomly got aged up 2 years and got a space dog.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

nine-gear crow posted:

That was my take too. I love how it just as easily works both ways when you stop and think about it. Real Shiro is an uncreative dork dad, and Clone Shiro was programmed to be Shiro, no matter what.

It's true, this is the best interpretation.

Rhonne posted:

Also, I thought it was kind of silly that Keith randomly got aged up 2 years and got a space dog.

To be fair, Keith was such a phenomenally lovely leader last time he took the helm that spending 2 years on the back of a space whale was the only way he was gonna believably come back better at it. Maybe having a dog gave him some of those Shiro dad skills.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

To be fair, Keith was such a phenomenally lovely leader last time he took the helm that spending 2 years on the back of a space whale was the only way he was gonna believably come back better at it. Maybe having a dog gave him some of those Shiro dad skills.

I guess, but if they had go through all that just to make Keith a less lovely leader, maybe they should have just given the job to someone else instead. Allura pretty much took charge during that last fight, give her the big cat.

My favorite part of the D&D episode was how Coran seemed to have it out for Shiro. He kept killing him in cheap ways and gave him poo poo over the torches.

"I feel like my character would remember to carry torches."
"Oh yeah, do you have any in your inventory?"
"Uhh...no?"
"Well then I guess you didn't remember them, did you?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite liked Lotor's robot being called Sincline. His name in Golion

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I said to myself earlier "Why do I get the feeling Josh Keaton was behind the 'Shiro only plays as a paladin' thing?" And sure enough

https://twitter.com/joshkeaton/status/1008367680250761217

He literally is Shiro in real life :stonk:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So does Haggar know how to find the secret Alteans? She didn't seem to care what Lotor was up to with them, so what's stopping her from rolling up and getting all the Alteans united under her while Allura's visiting Earth?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So do Galra just generally live for ten thousand years or more if not otherwise slain? Or is this specific to Lotor and his Governess?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

maltesh posted:

So do Galra just generally live for ten thousand years or more if not otherwise slain? Or is this specific to Lotor and his Governess?

I figured Lotor lived that long because of whatever magic let Haggar and Zarkon live that long, but I guess that doesn't really explain his nanny.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 19, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Galra didnt seem to care that Zarkon ruled for 10000 years either

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, that was an ending.

The M&M episode was a very necessary stopgap breather before the final 4 episode run. It was amazing how every episode felt so much longer than the 22-23 minutes. They packed a hell of a lot into all those episodes, including almost completely ignoring the bombshell they dropped that original Shiro died/was killed. I thought since we saw a glimpse of Real Shiro in Kuron Shiro’s breakout that he was just being held in cryo or in a cell somewhere on Haggar’s ship. When Kuron Shiro took Keith to the clone facility, I thought he’d find Real Shiro there and free him. But nope, Real Shiro died and we never even saw it. :smith:

One thing I did notice this season (and last) was how space-y science fiction everything felt. The locations, the tech design, the sound. More than anything it felt like the makers were drawing on Mass Effect 1 for reference with it all. Not that I’m complaining, it worked very well, and there’s no other show out there that looks like Voltron does.

Also can we talk about how awesome the soundtrack was this season? I admit, it seemed to draw heavily again from the Mass Effect well, but it all worked so well. It’s available here to listen on Brian Parkhurst’s Soundcloud. Tracks like ‘The Facility’ remind me of ME’s ‘Vigil’ or ‘Noveria’, and it was so well used.

This season has been a great little run, and I’m kind of sad they finally broke through the ‘will Lotor betray them?’ tension (although I was kind of hoping he wouldn’t), and have him go full hog.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that Lotor turned out to be an Altaen fanboy that wanted to recreate that more than rule the Galra.

Though do we have any idea when Shiro Actually died. Was it before the show, and he's always been a clone or did it happen at some point during the show previously?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He literally says it was when they were fighting Zarkon. Pay attention people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Lotor turned out to be an Altaen fanboy that wanted to recreate that more than rule the Galra.

Though do we have any idea when Shiro Actually died. Was it before the show, and he's always been a clone or did it happen at some point during the show previously?

He straight up said it happened at the end of Season 1 when he got sucked into the Black Lion. Whatever he did to beat Zarkon when he reclaimed the Black Bayard destroyed his physical body, so he’s been dead at since since then. Season 1 Shiro was the real Shiro. The one from Season 2 onward was the clone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

DeafNote posted:

The Galra didnt seem to care that Zarkon ruled for 10000 years either

True. If they /don't/ live for 10,000 years, I'm kind of surprised /anyone/ remembered the Galra Succession Ritual.

On the other hand. I guess the ritual is just filling out the paperwork for Galra Succession. You can always go back and submit it retroactively, if need be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Then that brings up the horrifying implication that Keith is going to live for tens of thousands of years and watch all his friends grow old and die around him. Hopefully him aging normally in the time dilation suggests otherwise and the non-royal Galra all have normal lifespans so it's just a weird plot hole.

Galra history's fukkin weeeeeeeird man...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, we know it's possible to clone a dude without him knowing he's a clone. For all we know that was Lotor #452.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Well, we know it's possible to clone a dude without him knowing he's a clone. For all we know that was Lotor #452.

God, that would be amazing and make me like Haggar even more than I already do if she had a loving Rusty Venture clone factory specifically to replace her stupidass son every time he died like a moron.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know, constantly getting bombarded with someone else's memories for 2 years has to get really old after a while. Especially once you run out of big important memories and just get a bunch of mundane stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

He straight up said it happened at the end of Season 1 when he got sucked into the Black Lion. Whatever he did to beat Zarkon when he reclaimed the Black Bayard destroyed his physical body, so he’s been dead at since since then. Season 1 Shiro was the real Shiro. The one from Season 2 onward was the clone.

It feels like a million years ago I saw season 1.

I had completely forgotten that had happened on screen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like that we all pegged Lotor’s ship as part of his own Voltron way back, because it clearly looked like a pair of legs.

When Keith’s eyes went all cat-like during his fight with Shiro, was that his Galran ancestry coming through?

And yeah, I don’t remember season 1 either it seems.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 20, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Season 1 was rather formulaic in comparison to the later seasons, mostly because it was all world-building and status-quo establishing stuff. It was also two years ago when it debuted. It was kind of a cycle of "Go somewhere, meet new people, befriend/enrage them, Zarkon and Haggar have an evil plan, fight a Robeast, FORM VOLTRON!!!, two-minute stock footage sequence, pithy post-victory moment" on and on for much of Season 1 and into Season 2.

Things don't really kick into high gear until Haggar says "Summon Prince Lotor."

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 2 is the Zarkon fight and Shiro vanishing. Season 1 ends with everyone separated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the end of the Zarkon fight was Season 2, not Season 1.