Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So apparently the rest of the internet is Really Mad about the way the show ended and is screeching BEYTRAL! :byodood: from the rooftops. Because fans on the internet in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

nine-gear crow posted:

So apparently the rest of the internet is Really Mad about the way the show ended and is screeching BEYTRAL! :byodood: from the rooftops. Because fans on the internet in 2018.

People take their Ships very seriously.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

As soon as the last scene popped up, I was wondering if this was going to produce more screeches than Zutara not happening.

Maybe if Shiro and Keith weren't portrayed as a surrogate father-son type relationship, maybe. But with the given backstory, eww.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also it's apparently somehow racist that Allura sacrificed herself to save all of existence and was happily reunited with her family, her friends, and Lotor on the other side of the veil as a result, instead of it being, you know, the perfect culmination of her character arc or whatever :rolleyes:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Someone I followed for their nice art but has a tendency to throw Voltron screechfits went ultra-berserk about the ending and I just quietly unfollowed them.

Please do not invest your life or mental health in a children's cartoon, internet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the internet reaction has been fairly mad.

My favourite terrible argument about the ending was that Lance's fate -- to become a happy farmer -- was somehow racist.

It's classic shipper grief. Anger and bargaining.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

My favourite terrible argument about the ending was that Lance's fate -- to become a happy farmer -- was somehow racist.

:wtc:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Some people who watch cartoons and are 'very internet' have trouble keeping psychological distance between themselves and media they consume. News at 11.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

tribbledirigible posted:

Maybe if Shiro and Keith weren't portrayed as a surrogate father-son type relationship, maybe. But with the given backstory, eww.

Yeah, this was always my problem with it. He knew Keith when he was a kid. Shiro's not Woody Allen...

GGundam8
Jun 15, 2008
The ending was a big let down.
There were way too many out of nowhere power ups. Even the characters didn't know what was going on. That is just bad writing. It gave me nightmare flashbacks of Korra Season 2. Just like Korra it tries to use a razzmatazz ending with Shiro to change the conversation from the poo poo sandwich they just served up. However, it biggest sin is they never used the OG blazing sword. I keep hope to very end because it would have been the perfect send off. I know this one is on me but this is one of the only lion series not to use it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GGundam8 posted:

Just like Korra it tries to use a razzmatazz ending with Shiro to change the conversation from the poo poo sandwich they just served up.

Yeah, because the only reason a bunch of artists would ever want to write about gay characters is as a ratings stunt.

This is nonsense.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, because the only reason a bunch of artists would ever want to write about gay characters is as a ratings stunt.

This is nonsense.

The thing that bummed me out about that was they had Shiro hook up with some guy we've never seen before. I wonder how much of that was the show and how much was what Dreamworks or Netflix were willing to let them get away with though.

There was actually a leaked screenshot posted a few months ago of Shiro's wedding, but it was with a completly different dude. Wonder if there was a whole subplot there that got cut or something.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 16, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

The thing that bummed me out about that was they had Shiro hook up with some guy we've never seen before. I wonder how much of that was the show and how much was what Dreamworks or Netflix were willing to let them get away with though.

There was actually a leaked screenshot posted a few month ago of Shiro's wedding, but it was with a completly different dude. Wonder if there was a whole subplot there that got cut or something.

Shiro’s husband was there in the background all across this season as one of the Atlas bridge operators. He was the dude seated behind Iverson. He had like two lines of housekeeping bridge officer dialog and that was it.

It was literally an “oh wait, that guy?” moment for me.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rhonne posted:

There was actually a leaked screenshot posted a few months ago of Shiro's wedding, but it was with a completly different dude. Wonder if there was a whole subplot there that got cut or something.

FYI that character is Roy Focker from Macross, he made a cameo in the pilot episode as one of the many mecha character references they had going on. Looks like maybe he was used as a placeholder?

nine-gear crow posted:

It was literally an “oh wait, that guy?” moment for me.

He was also shooting the poo poo in that gym scene with the other Atlas crew, and cheering Shiro on during the arm wrestling tournament.

YES bread fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 16, 2018

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I like the fact that Shiro tied the knot with a background character. You see him a few times on the bridge, he says a line or two over the course of the season and the viewer gets to know him as coincidental guy #65 instead of the guy introduced to just be Shiro's SO by the time the you get to the epilogue. After Adam I think this was the best course they could have taken.

Besides, I ship Keith with Hunk so him not getting with Shiro is OK in my book. .... Although it was a total missed opportunity to not stick them in a tunnel of love parody in Clear Day. Mumble grumble.

I liked the ending overall. It was a nice cap to the series and while some characters received more satisfactory outcomes then others it felt much more organic for it. Really the only way they could have done better by me is if they scrapped the whole documentary style epilogue in favor of diving headfirst into Shiro's big gay wedding and 15 minuets of Paladin shenanigans involving what makes the better choice for boutonnieres and missing wedding bands.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The documentary episode is worth it for the gas giant tentacle monster attack scene alone. I kind of enjoyed the Lower Decks feel to seeing what would be the climax of any other Voltron episode play out in a fragmentary back row view from Kincaid’s wandering cambot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I laughed really, really hard at the "this is an emergency, drop the camera!" joke. She actually dropped the camera!

Also, I suspect -- baselessly, tbh -- that those two character map onto production staff, and are something of a meta joke. There's certainly a lot of meta stuff in the episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess somewhat resetting the universe is a way to sidestep the fact that the alteans are war criminals. The finale was alright. I'm in the minority of not being fond of it for reasons unrelated to shipping.

GGundam8
Jun 15, 2008

This is nonsense.

You need to dust the chips off your shoulders. I couldn't careless which characters are banging. This series has very little to do with romance. You should be mad at the creators for using characters like that. Don't praise them for doing a half rear end job. Don't excuse bad writing just because 2 dudes kissed.I'm not saying you do but I've seen many that do this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GGundam8 posted:

You need to dust the chips off your shoulders. I couldn't careless which characters are banging. This series has very little to do with romance. You should be mad at the creators for using characters like that. Don't praise them for doing a half rear end job. Don't excuse bad writing just because 2 dudes kissed.I'm not saying you do but I've seen many that do this.

It's less than optimal, and I've said as much upthread. But I also recognise that this is the reality of what the American Action Cartoon, as the genre currently stands, can best achieve.

It's not just Korra that's had a last minute same-sex couple reveal. It's Adventure Time, and Gravity Falls too. It is what it is; I choose to both celebrate the milestones (and this is one) while also acknowledging the flaws. I'm not excusing poor narrative logic present in the episode (again, see my complains upthread), but it doesn't change my experience being largely a positive one.

But that's not what I was saying, originally. My objection is to your argument that the show would use the frisson of sexuality to cover up for its flaws. I think, honestly, that the choice to depict a male, same-sex kiss, was irrelevant to what came immediately before it in the episode. The realities of the industry suggests to me that kiss would have had to be snuck passed an executive, much like Adventure Time's was. That's something I see supported by the relative crudity of the animation (as compared to the show's typical standards). It feels personal, and clandestine, and not cynically manipulative. Frankly, it strikes me as an act of protest. And that I do support.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

I'd guarantee the staff had an uphill battle having the scene included and had to fight like hell for it, they deserve those props for helping to push the envelope. Shiro getting such a historical scene is pretty fitting for him as well, it's a nice send-off for a character who was all about being tenacious and pulling through when everything was stacked against him.

anyway now while I'm here check out this sexy hunk of beef ramen in the background :swoon:

I really love the alien designs in this show.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rhonne posted:

That was a great final season. I really loved that last episode.

Did anyone notice that Pidge made Vehicle Voltron in that ending montage?

Ep13 stuff. They even had most of the pilots. Modoc and Cinda showed up after Robo-Chip's little segment. Then the final card had, from left to right: Wolo, Ginger (I think, the hair is off), Cinda, Hutch (or Marvin), Cliff, Jeff, loving Zandee (I hate you so), Rocky, Marvin (or Hutch), Robo-Chip, girl-Krik (I think?). Tangor, Shannon and Lisa were missing.

Space Marshall Graham also showed up in the background though I don't recall the specific.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Finale spoilers:
The series kind of exploded with human side characters these last two seasons, so I lost of track of them all. Was the guy with the scar with Pidge at the end just Matt with a haircut? Kind of threw me for a bit. Also who was the masked alien with Matt? They were in the Holt family photo but I'm not sure I recall Matt being in a relationship, so who that is was lost on me. I'm guessing it was someone who was running with Matt these last few seasons that I forgot about.

Edit: Looking back, I guess that was one of the aliens with Matt, but I'm not sure they were ever given a name(?)

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 16, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Teek posted:

Finale spoilers:
The series kind of exploded with human side characters these last two seasons, so I lost of track of them all. Was the guy with the scar with Pidge at the end just Matt with a haircut? Kind of threw me for a bit. Also who was the masked alien with Matt? They were in the Holt family photo but I'm not sure I recall Matt being in a relationship, so who that is was lost on me. I'm guessing it was someone who was running with Matt these last few seasons that I forgot about.

The masked alien showed up with Matt at the very end of the last season when he reunited with Pidge. They had no dialogue or anything, but they showed up holding hands, so it's implied that they were together. That's pretty much all we got of them. I don't think we even learn her name ever.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rhonne posted:

The masked alien showed up with Matt at the very end of the last season when he reunited with Pidge. They had no dialogue or anything, but they showed up holding hands, so it's implied that they were together. That's pretty much all we got of them. I don't think we even learn her name ever.

I think she also had a brief appearance as part of Matt's rebel crew in one of the earlier seasons. She's definitely been lurking in the background a while.

*edit* My brain wouldn't stop tingling over this so I had to go back and check, I believe this is her very first appearance back in Season 4

YES bread fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 16, 2018

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Anyone else want The LD Voltron gang do commentary on an episode or two of the old show ala what The Incredibles did for their DVD?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

Anyone else want The LD Voltron gang do commentary on an episode or two of the old show ala what The Incredibles did for their DVD?

They did something close to that. I don’t know if they’re still on Netflix, but to promote one of the seasons past they put up a selection of episodes from the 80s anime with introductory segments by various cast and crew members. It was boilerplate stuff and all really short though.

I think they branded it as Voltron 88 maybe? I dunno. I’d think they’d be hesitant about it because, as we’ve learned from She-Ra and Thundercats, (and the meltdown over Seasons 7 and 8 of this show) people are so defensive about the marketing-based half-remember garbage shows from their childhoods that they try to shoot up animation schools over it, so why even bother?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

They did something close to that. I don’t know if they’re still on Netflix, but to promote one of the seasons past they put up a selection of episodes from the 80s anime with introductory segments by various cast and crew members. It was boilerplate stuff and all really short though.

I think they branded it as Voltron 88 maybe? I dunno. I’d think they’d be hesitant about it because, as we’ve learned from She-Ra and Thundercats, (and the meltdown over Seasons 7 and 8 of this show) people are so defensive about the marketing-based half-remember garbage shows from their childhoods that they try to shoot up animation schools over it, so why even bother?

Maybe it was just the "circles" I hovered around but I've never seen anyone say Defender of the Universe is better than Legendary Defender.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
How ridiculously precious was lil Lotor? :kimchi:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

How ridiculously precious was lil Lotor? :kimchi:

He was adorable, though he did almost doom the multiverse when he refused to accept his crazy alternate universe witch mom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

He was adorable, though he did almost doom the multiverse when he refused to accept his crazy alternate universe witch mom.

The poor kid can’t catch a break. He almost dooms reality because he wants to be just like his mom. And then he almost dooms reality because he realizes she’s evil and crazy and doesn’t want anything to do with her. Honerva was amazingly bad at this whole parenting thing, wasn’t she?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The poor kid can’t catch a break. He almost dooms reality because he wants to be just like his mom. And then he almost dooms reality because he realizes she’s evil and crazy and doesn’t want anything to do with her. Honerva was amazingly bad at this whole parenting thing, wasn’t she?

I gotta wonder what it was like for Zarkon and Lil Lotor after Honerva appeared from an alternate universe, turned out to be crazy evil, then got involved in a giant robot fight right outside of the Altean castle, then they blinked out of existence for a few minutes. It must have been a really stressful day.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I gotta wonder what it was like for Zarkon and Lil Lotor after Honerva appeared from an alternate universe, turned out to be crazy evil, then got involved in a giant robot fight right outside of the Altean castle, then they blinked out of existence for a few minutes. It must have been a really stressful day.

Oh god, you’re right. This makes yet another version of Lotor that she’s probably scarred for life psychologically. Well loving done, Honerva :thumbsup:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Rhonne posted:

I bet Dad is a lot more ready to trust in his heir's judgement at least. I hope Lil Lotor is really smug once the trauma wears off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YES bread posted:

anyway now while I'm here check out this sexy hunk of beef ramen in the background :swoon:

That whole scene was amazing. "Wait, are they doing an extended homage to Over The Top of all movies??? Oh poo poo yes they are!!"
Spoiler if you haven't seen ep8: https://imgur.com/zhufk4b

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite thing about this show was the side characters, so the last season lost points for dropping every single one of them from the plot for the back half of the season

also everything from Knights of Light on was incredibly dumb and arbitrary. the wacky space magic was tolerable when it was background radiation for the rest of the show, but it really comes front and center for the end of the series, to its detriment. so much random poo poo happening that you just have to take at face value because pidge or allura are droning on about ultra gluons or dreamscapes or whatever

My frustrations, in respect to their priority, are: a) it represents the third animated kids show I can think of that's been forced to reveal its queerness in its final scene, a recurring trend that makes me incredibly angry at how deeply gutless Dreamworks is

dreamworks also produced She Ra, so i think it's safe to blame the writers of this show for the decisions that were made in this show. that being said, even with the entirely deserved backlash for the one scene shiro's husband got before being fridged, zethrid and ezor were also obviously an item in season 7, which didn't get commented on online for some reason, and they even got to show up in one of the better episodes of the final season. purely talking queer representation, voltron was definitely a step forward compared to adventure time and korra

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She-Ra also went into production after Voltron, so it's largely standing on the other show's shoulders. (That, and Steven Universe). It also has less dude!gay going on, so it's a different kettle of fish. And there's some level of documentation floating around that the writers fought an uphill battle to have queer dudes included on the show.

I can't find the quote now, but a Dreamworks executive was quoted as saying that he'd be perfectly fine to produce the second show with onscreen queer rep, but not the first.

But yeah, you're completely correct about the show floundering starting with the Honerva's brain two-parter. Why not just fight the magic space balls for your climax? (Instead they apparently just up and vanish for some reason).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

She-Ra also went into production after Voltron, so it's largely standing on the other show's shoulders. (That, and Steven Universe). It also has less dude!gay going on, so it's a different kettle of fish. And there's some level of documentation floating around that the writers fought an uphill battle to have queer dudes included on the show.

I can't find the quote now, but a Dreamworks executive was quoted as saying that he'd be perfectly fine to produce the second show with onscreen queer rep, but not the first.

But yeah, you're completely correct about the show floundering starting with the Honerva's brain two-parter. Why not just fight the magic space balls for your climax? (Instead they apparently just up and vanish for some reason).

Dreamworks in general has had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century when it comes to representation. They scaled back Gobber being gay in HTTYD down to a single half-muttered oblique line until Dean DeBlois came out and screamed from the rooftops "HE'S GAY! HE'S GAY! HE'S loving GAY!" And even back then, that was considered revolutionary and very progressive of Dreamworks to allow even that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbFByPbEmzk

This is not a S8 spoiler. You need to watch this. It's QUITE a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

This happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbFByPbEmzk

This is not a S8 spoiler. You need to watch this. It's QUITE a thing.

Josh Keaton is a beautiful gift we do not deserve :allears: