Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/FredPawle/status/969343402792779776

They've got the path to victory all figured out now

Needs Van Badham to make it really poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Whoever made the OP needs to be fired and replaced with a PATH intern, they still haven't added my nationals mp identification quiz.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Do it yourself leaner scum, innovate some agility

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Whoever made the OP needs to be fired and replaced with a PATH intern, they still haven't added my nationals mp identification quiz.

Link it and I'll make it so.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Knobb Manwich posted:

Do it yourself leaner scum, innovate some agility

Inept would be OPs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Also their plans to cut down all the old growth forests, but just ignore that for now.

That one's just smart politics since Labor can't stop being in bed with the logging companies and their employees (mostly the companies) and the Greens have an actual presence in Tasmania.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dimebag posted:

Inept would be OPs.

"OP closed because UNIONS"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Link it and I'll make it so.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848133&pagenumber=60&perpage=40#post481624280

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 2, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You missed BIG COTTON BITCH, but that's because he's a state MP.

https://twitter.com/SofieJW/status/969370142625812480

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 2, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Peccadillo posted:

Why are the protestations always about shooting pigs, there are like fifty people who shoot pigs and about six of them do it for good reason

Because 'it makes me feel better about my micropenis' is harder to convince the public to support. Everyone hates feral pigs though. This is more about the culture wars and doing something the rednecks know the greenies hate rather than doing something that will have any real impact.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Don't kinkshame.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Peccadillo posted:

Why are the protestations always about shooting pigs, there are like fifty people who shoot pigs and only about six of them are referring to police

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Added link to OP.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

You wish

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Needs Van Badham to make it really poo poo.

She probably has her own events planned. It's worth reading the linked page, it's the biggest load of right-wing crybaby BS:

quote:

We are not doing our leftist friends any favours by letting their opinions go unchallenged on social media, writes Fred Pawle.

The response was Pavlovian. When we announced on Twitter on Wednesday that we would be holding events in which several prominent right-of-centre Twitter practitioners would share their techniques for winning arguments on Twitter, leftist Twitter trolls immediately responded with an eruption of indignant, abusive tweets.

If that sounds like an echo chamber, it is. But as US President Donald Trump has demonstrated, Twitter can be enormously useful if you disregard the angry, anonymous mobs roaming its digital terrain.

This is easier said than done, as we were reminded on Wednesday.

“Seriously, who are these people?” one commenter asked, referring to the high-profile panels we had assembled, as a handful of other critics shared their unsolicited, embittered opinions about us.

BOOK NOW: How to Win Twitter, Sydney and Melbourne

One of the panelists, Sky News presenter and News Corp columnist Caroline Marcus, helpfully replied: “It literally says who we are on the post you are commenting on.”

The haste with which many Twitter commenters resort to abuse, and the fleeting gratification they get from gratuitous humiliation, blinds them to the merits of opposing opinions, let alone the inadequacies of their own arguments.

“Twitter is militantly patrolled by self-appointed moral guardians who, without a shred of irony, try to bully anyone with a different world view into silence,” Marcus says. “Navigating the swamp with your sanity intact is a feat in itself.”

Didn’t Trump say something about swamps once?

Some might call it ambitious, but our sincere hope is that our events in Sydney and Melbourne (with other cities possibly to follow) will encourage more people with centrist or conservative views to wade into Twitter and, as civilly as possible, join our panelists in arguing the case for such things as coal-fired power, selective migration, a more representative ABC, smaller government, lower taxes and a return to the personal responsibility that was once a hallmark of our culture (this last idea is unlikely to catch on among those who hide behind anonymous social-media avatars, but whatever).

Chris Kenny, a columnist for The Australian and presenter on 2GB radio, is not understating the challenge.

“Twitter is full of green-left lies and myths,” he says. “We need more right-of-centre people to get in there, chuck truth bombs - and duck.”

Our panels will discuss ways to attract a decent following, how to respond to bullying, the importance of sticking to the facts, and whether the rampant overuse of “hypocrite” has stripped the word of all its meaning.

Joining the fray on social media is crucial for another reason: the social media companies themselves are also trying to suppress conservative views. Facebook, Twitter and Youtube have all been exposed recently of blocking conservative commentators and news outlets while giving free rein to leftist or anti-western commentators.

A panel discussion on this topic was held at the Conservative Political Action Conference in the US last week, chaired by Pamela Geller.

“This issue — the suppression of the freedom of speech on social media — affects all of us on the right,” she said. “In fact, it is the most critical issue of the day: if we are stripped of the means to communicate with one another, it’s all over.”

Actually, it will be all over even before then if we don’t jump on social media in the first place.

Maybe they're cracking down because your dogwhistles are encouraging your bestial fans to issue threats of harm you crybabies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

How does listeria get inside a rockmelon? Or is it only those pre-cut ones that people are getting sick from?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Too tired to fix this formatting on mobile

Shorten says talk about Adani mine 'dumbing down climate debate'

Labor leader dodges questions about plan to revoke Adani licence if he wins next election

Katharine Murphy and Paul Karp

Fri 2 Mar 2018 15.02 AEDTLast modified on Fri 2 Mar 2018 16.37 AEDT

View more sharing options

Shares

Comments279

Bill Shorten has repeatedly denied that he told colleagues he intended to ban the Adani coal mine, but dodged questions about whether he intended to revoke its licence if Labor wins the next election.

Shorten was asked on Friday to clarify Labor’s position after the businessman and environmentalist Geoff Cousins this week gave a detailed account of private discussions he had with the Labor leader over December and January.

Cousins said that after a tour of the Great Barrier Reef and the Adani mine site in January, Shorten signalled his support for Labor revoking Adani’s licence based on concern about the impact of the project on the reef, on groundwater and endangered species. He then indicated he would make an announcement to that effect imminently.

Geoff Cousins reveals how Bill Shorten wavered on Adani mine

Read more

The Labor leader faced questions while campaigning in Devonport on Friday ahead of the Tasmanian election on Saturday, including whether he was prepared to announce Labor would revoke the project’s licence if it won government.

Advertisement

Shorten denied on Friday that he wanted to ban the project, and had to be talked out of that position by colleagues.

But the Labor leader did signal publicly after his trip with Cousins, without locking in to a specific option, that he was intending to adopt a harder line against the controversial Queensland coal project.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

lol watch them lose both by elections because he tried to sit on the fence and voters in both seats told him to get hosed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Its going to turn out that i beliwve gif tge paper he checked was blank

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh, a contender for next month's thread name already.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’s going to be so good when the libs win the next election due to shorten’s incompetence

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
The strange thing is he might win if he just says "coal is hosed and we need to find new industries for people to work in. Let's say no to Adani and instead yes to [some random clean energy industry].".

People are okay with bad news if you follow it up with "but we'll do X instead".

Oh wait Adani want to set up shop in Queensland, my bad.

The reef is still dead either way.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

froglet posted:

The strange thing is he might win if he just says "coal is hosed and we need to find new industries for people to work in. Let's say no to Adani and instead yes to [some random clean energy industry].".

People are okay with bad news if you follow it up with "but we'll do X instead".

Oh wait Adani want to set up shop in Queensland, my bad.

The reef is still dead either way.

That'd make sense. There's probably a bunch of union or factional hacks who won't let him say that for some reason though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Working class unions eequire working class jobs

Close the jobs lose the members unions rendered obsolete

Coal 4eva

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I doubt people give a poo poo enough about Adani for it to impact polling.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Don Dongington posted:

I don't even know who has the balance of power in the Tasmanian state parliament because they're about as relevant to auspol today as uh

Expert advice?
Fukt.

Both parties have declared that they won't do any deals with the Greens even if it means they can pull off a Minority win, and the polls aren't predicting a Majority win so perhaps Chaos will reign. Will the Friday news dump of weakening firearms laws cost the Liberals the election? I doubt it, but I hang around with a lot of folks who are recreational shooters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bigis posted:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bigis posted:

I'd be surprised if it didn't in Batman though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

gay picnic defence posted:

That'd make sense. There's probably a bunch of union or factional hacks who won't let him say that for some reason though.

Not a joke question, but... What could the union's actually do if he put it out there that coal needs to die. I mean, they can't join the libs, they'd get screwed over, and the greens would agree with that statement...

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mad Katter posted:

I'd be surprised if it didn't in Batman though.

I'm in Batman and lots of the Greens signage is about Adani, they obviously think it's an issue concerning people around here. It concerns me, to be honest.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I don't know much about international economics and the ABC article on this subject is annoying horseshit - what are the consequences for the US of Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

Not a joke question, but... What could the union's actually do if he put it out there that coal needs to die. I mean, they can't join the libs, they'd get screwed over, and the greens would agree with that statement...

Do you remember Kevin Rudd?

They don't have to leave the ALP, they just change the leader.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It should be noted that most unions DO support stronger action on climate change.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In an attempt to keep the ever-growing Islamophobic far-right movement off their backs, Australian-Muslim women have taken to dressing in a new ‘Australianised’ version of their traditional religious wear – The BurKelly.

One local retailer has cashed in on the new idea.

Lynne Seed (33) from the iconic fashion label Sweaty Mistress says the idea has been sitting their for years.

“What we’ve got is, one small minority wanting to cover their faces in public, and another small minority having an issue with them doing so,”

“We thought, why not merge these two cultures?”

“The concept of dressing a Muslim woman up as homicidal Irish convict was genius. The far-right movement can’t bring themselves to criticise anything that involves Ned Kelly, and it allows our persecuted Islamic community the opportunity to dress the way the want,”

By combining the burqa – an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions to cover their bodies when in public – with the iconic folklore of Australian bushranger, Ned Kelly, the BurKelly has proven a hit in the Muslim-Australian community.

Out of the surveyed Australian women who wear the BurKelly, 90% say that they no longer fear having their headwear torn off in public by an angry young man who lacks a father figure.

The survey also found racial slurs and Islamophobic vitriol has decreased by 90%.

Local BurKelly enthusiast, Shona Guerra (25) says that the only racial abuse she has encountered since wearing the giant steel headpiece has been wildly misguided.

“Someone called me a ‘loving Catholic’ the other day. That was weird,” she says

“Other than that, a few people Super Rugby fans called me a ‘fuckin’ mick’ at Central Station – I think they were under the impression that I was Irish,”

“For the most part people just pat me on the back and call me a legend. I’ve never felt more comfortable,”

“I could literally walk down the street with a gun in my hand and people would give me high-fives,”

Surprisingly, the outspoken Islamophobic One Nation Senator Pauline Hanson has also come out in support of the BurKelly.

“This is a great example of what Muslim-Australians can achieve if they just focus on being Australian like the rest of us,”

“We have no problem with you covering your face, but at least do it in a way that doesn’t intimidate us,”

“… Like wearing a bulletproof face-mask made famous by a bank-robbing rapist in the Victorian Outback over two hundred years ago,”

“That’s what I call assimilation.”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Until they work in a wide brimmed hat with corks hanging off it they haven't made it Australian enough.

Or a Ned Kelly suit of armor.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Jesus loving christ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was Ned Kelly actually a rapist?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Inescapable Duck posted:

Was Ned Kelly actually a rapist?

Well he had the the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter, so you connect the dots

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Starshark posted:

I don't know much about international economics and the ABC article on this subject is annoying horseshit - what are the consequences for the US of Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium?

They’re about to have their export industries hit with a bunch of retaliatory tariffs on industries that will actually matter in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'm genuinely surprised the US ever bought Australian steel, it's gotta be solely at cost of anti-china sentiment

And a little bit Diplomatic Handshake or whatever

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 2, 2018

• Locked thread