Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«36 »
  • Locked thread
vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Triticum Guzzler posted:

gsp paid a man to kiss bj penn. that's canon.

That man was definitely Mickey Avalon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

[lifting up the lapels, sleeves, and other books and crannies on bj penn's bloated corpse with a pencil] It just doesn't make any sense, where would GSP find a guy to kiss a man for money

spb
Nov 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[lifting up the lapels, sleeves, and other books and crannies on bj penn's bloated corpse with a pencil] It just doesn't make any sense, where would GSP find a guy to kiss a man for money

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

plz control u toxic hatsculinity

Skip My Posts posted:

gsp was also on steroids while we are on the topic of all his cheating

Mike Bisping would have beat GSP if he wasn't roided to the gills IMO

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rampage all but straight up said Bisping did steroids as well

they all on it or used to be on it to reach new heights, imo

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/UFCEurop...484242059374593

thar she blows

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

By the way, on this general topic, noted good opinion havers Jonathan Snowden and Jordan Breen have been twitter sperging about how any MMA fan who dislikes PED use is a garbage hypocrite:

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/971397810556952578
https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/sta...284135430979584

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

(in disgusted, halting voice) Jordan Breen is right

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

*Gordon Gekko walks to the podium, his well oiled veiny muscles glistening and the sides of his fauxhawk freshly shaved into a cross*

Chute Boxe, Mr. White, Chute Boxe has 33 different former champs each earning over 200 thousand dollars a fight. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, to train and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our gym lost 110 million fights last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between the promotions and athletic commissions and independent testing authorities. The new law of evolution in American MMA seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get knocked out. In the last seven fights that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million fans who have made an HD PPV purchase of $60. Thank you. I am not a destroyer of cards. I am a liberator of them! The point is, ladies and gentleman, that steroids, for lack of a better word, are good. Steroids are right, steroids work. Steroids clarify, cut through, and capture the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Steroids, in all of their forms; anabolics, testosterone replacement, stanazolol, Soviet laboratory poo poo have marked the upward surge of mankind. And steroids, you mark my words, will not only save Chute Boxe, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UFC. Thank you very much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

*Gordon Gekko walks to the podium, his well oiled veiny muscles glistening and the sides of his fauxhawk freshly shaved into a cross*

Chute Boxe, Mr. White, Chute Boxe has 33 different former champs each earning over 200 thousand dollars a fight. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, to train and I still can't figure it out. One thing I do know is that our gym lost 110 million fights last year, and I'll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between the promotions and athletic commissions and independent testing authorities. The new law of evolution in American MMA seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get knocked out. In the last seven fights that I've been involved with, there were 2.5 million fans who have made an HD PPV purchase of $60. Thank you. I am not a destroyer of cards. I am a liberator of them! The point is, ladies and gentleman, that steroids, for lack of a better word, are good. Steroids are right, steroids work. Steroids clarify, cut through, and capture the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Steroids, in all of their forms; anabolics, testosterone replacement, stanazolol, Soviet laboratory poo poo have marked the upward surge of mankind. And steroids, you mark my words, will not only save Chute Boxe, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UFC. Thank you very much.

lmao

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Even if he hadn't been on steroids the entire time as well (he was) it's still insanely unfair that GSP could fly to spain and get fresh 18 y/o horny blood injected into him and his tired old closeted blood shot out and thats 100% legal but only 4 guys can afford it. GSP is sleeping in a 200,000 dollar hyperbolic time chamber every night while his opponent making 40/40 teaches zumba on thursdays.... hosed up garbage...

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

"First lesson. Stick 'em with the pointy end."

CommonShore posted:

By the way, on this general topic, noted good opinion havers Jonathan Snowden and Jordan Breen have been twitter sperging about how any MMA fan who dislikes PED use is a garbage hypocrite:

I think the negative impact of USADA on the sport, in terms of how many fights seems to fall through due to injuries that may not have happened when guys were free to do PEDs, is a good thing to talk about.

I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to the torture of having that discussion with Snowden though.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

are injuries more common now than when the fighters got accident insurance before usada? nobody was abusing corticosteroids when they had the chance. people weren't taking steroids to recover from injuries, let's be honest. the one ped that you can really tell is gone is epo at heavyweight. but me personally i don't want mma to be like logan's run where when you reach randleman's age you die.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

threeagainstfour posted:

I think the negative impact of USADA on the sport, in terms of how many fights seems to fall through due to injuries that may not have happened when guys were free to do PEDs, is a good thing to talk about.

I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to the torture of having that discussion with Snowden though.

Has anyone actually done a statistical analysis of whether more fights are -actually- falling through now that USADA is in? Because plenty of fights fell through and/or sucked before USADA, too. Without actual numbers, it's all hurf.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
ASK ME ABOUT MY SELF-PUBLISHED WARHAMMER FANFICTION AND MY KNIFE COLLECTION

CommonShore posted:

Has anyone actually done a statistical analysis of whether more fights are -actually- falling through now that USADA is in? Because plenty of fights fell through and/or sucked before USADA, too. Without actual numbers, it's all hurf.

I remember 2012, where dozens of fights fell through. The theory here was that, since the UFC had just introduced medical insurance for fighters, a lot of them were getting treatment or surgeries they'd needed for a long time, but hadn't been able to afford.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

"First lesson. Stick 'em with the pointy end."

CommonShore posted:

Whoops, sorry guys, I should have written what I was trying to say a little clearer. I meant to say that a discussion around a POSSIBLE increase in fights getting cancelled due to injury after the start of USADA testing would be interesting. I didn't mean to say it's an absolute certainty that USADA is leading to an increase in pull outs due to injury.

Anecdotally it does feel like we are getting more fights cancelled due to injuries than before USADA testing was brought in, but I haven't seen any numbers to make that clear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

threeagainstfour posted:

Whoops, sorry guys, I should have written what I was trying to say a little clearer. I meant to say that a discussion around a POSSIBLE increase in fights getting cancelled due to injury due to a possible reduction in PED use brought on by the instituting of USADA testing would be an interesting thing to research/discuss.

Anecdotally it does feel like we are getting more fights cancelled due to injuries than before USADA testing was brought in, but I haven't seen any numbers to make that clear.

I wasn't challenging you on it. I'd just actually like to read that article if it exists.

My suspicion is that no significant correlation can be found between the two, and the perception of an increase is just memory bias. It's easier to remember a fight that happened than a fight that didn't.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

SOmeone could put that together fairly easily but it actually wouldn't tell you anything, since not every injury is a last minute pull out. You'd want to look at average fights/yr before and after.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

There's a dude who does MMA stats on Twitter, it's something he'd probably either be interested in or already doing something for. Phone posting right now, I'll find him when I get back to my computer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

CommonShore posted:

Someone mail this to FightMetric's product manager.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

people always got injured, but now they get injured and you don't get a rabbit pulled out of a hat and a last minute good fight because there's absolutely no benefit to you and no good will between fighter and promoter

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

are injuries more common now than when the fighters got accident insurance before usada? nobody was abusing corticosteroids when they had the chance. people weren't taking steroids to recover from injuries, let's be honest. the one ped that you can really tell is gone is epo at heavyweight. but me personally i don't want mma to be like logan's run where when you reach randleman's age you die.
Iirc that really bad year where all the fights fell apart brcause everyone was always hurt and they tried to plan out the years main events right at the start of thr year was pre-usada

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah it was 2014 that was the terrible year for business/injuries. I think 2015 might have been bad too, but usada came in mid year

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

duckin 4 cover lol. u don't get to see the good fight b*tch

2012 was the dog poo poo year. 2014 I think was the year where all the injuries happened and the main events fell apart but the whole-card quality was genuinely and consistently good. So, dog poo poo too as far as business and promotion goes I guess.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

I'm okay with trading 3 fights a year for an absence of peds. What now Jordan Breen?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Just reads like contrarian edgelord silliness. Exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from a middle aged man with Jordan Breen's hair.

And I don't know who Snowden is but gently caress him too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

USA

CommonShore posted:

Bad opinions

e: I donít know why this had USA at the top but alright thx maga ghost

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

You wanna talk PEDs how about this mystery: Why is khabib allowed to fight in the mens division if none of his opponents have ever seen or felt his dick?? Khabib isnt even honest with us by revealing what the statistics on the potential power level of a dickless opponent even are.

Proposition: a registered doctor with the AC reaches under a blackout cloth and gives it one firm squeeze thru his shorts and a silent nod to confirm while tferg's entire training camp present.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

You wanna talk PEDs how about this mystery: Why is khabib allowed to fight in the mens division if none of his opponents have ever seen or felt his dick?

The pee tester: oh it's real and it's spectacular.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If someone could redo/photoshop the KFC logo and The Colonel to the UFC logo and Jon Jones with the caption of now Boneless I'd be really happy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Iíve been using Twitter more lately because idk I hate myself. What are some decent mma twitter people (lol) to follow?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

You should follow my friend, Keven.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

brian redban

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Do you like it? It's haunted.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been using Twitter more lately because idk I hate myself. What are some decent mma twitter people (lol) to follow?

@legkicktko, @jasonnawara, @jens_pulver, @secretmovesmma, @markhunt1974, @Tyson_Pedro_ , @Bokamotoespn, @Bjpenndotcom, @allelbows, @MMAfighting. Those are good starts I guess.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2018 around 04:46

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

OMG!! WeareSOawesome!!

@BrendanSchaub

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

I follow Ben Folkes and Chad Dundas, they're on the more lighthearted end of MMA twitter. Secret Moves is a pro follow as is Suzanne Davis.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Do you like it? It's haunted.

Secret Moves follows me on Twitter and that is a point of weird internet pride for me. Dude sounds like Kenny Powers.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

I follow the king of sex moves teruto ishihara but he only tweets at night so its all ephemeral

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

follow superCalo the only real journalist on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

@Grabaka_Hitman is good , will let you know of almost every mma event going on around the world
@ZidanSports doesn't post much but the stories he posts about the politics of European mma are always good

Edit:Keven and Dunc are good but aren't really "mma accounts"

Troxartas fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2018 around 05:20

• Locked thread
«36 »