Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008
I had some of my dad's old comics, but the first one I remember being all mine was a preview of Ultimate X-Men #1 they gave out at Monster Jam. Then I went to a comic shop and bought Ultimate Spider-Man #8 with my own money and saved up for the trade that collected 1-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I remember reading some licensed Disney comics in the late 80s. My grandad knew the newsagent and he'd saved some of the ones that had their covers stripped for return. It was probably one of the Gladstone titles related to Uncle Scrooge or Ducktales but while I can remember some pretty specific details from the stories I can't work out what the actual comic was.

I'm not sure if that was before or after I started reading Tintin and Asterix in primary school though. I still judge Tintin stories based on whether they were in the school library or not. The Black Isle and the moon stories are still somehow "newer" to me than Cigars of the Pharaohs or the Calculus Affair, despite having read them all years ago and most again recently to my daughter (who loving loves "TII TII"). Funnily enough the first Tintin I read was the book version of Lake of Sharks, which isn't even a real story.

Plus I read Phantom, Mandrake and Prince Valiant in newspapers, but that wasn't a consistent thing at all.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I used to have an old Smithsonian book that was all kinds of different comics. It had like a couple issues of a bunch of different series. I remember specifically it had a bunch of Little Lulu, some Plastic man, I remember specifically it had some Shazam as well. I must've read that thing millions of times. Also read millions of times was Tintin books (lol racism) and my dad was always a huge fan of Carl Barks so I read a whole shitload of Duck Tales.

First book I remember purchasing myself was Uncanny X-Men 294 (X-cutioners song tie-in). It was like right when the cartoon came out. Looking back, I can't believe I kept reading comics based on that issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One of my first superhero books was actually a Spider-Man "team-up" compilation that had like iirc
an issue where someone mind controlled Peter to fight the ff
the issue where the avengers had Spidey fight the hulk as like a test to be let in
I think the first appearance of the punisher??
and one that really stuck out that was a story when mj was pregnant and he sought out the advice of beast about whether the the kid would be a mutant and part of the story is that they're fighting a monster that turns out to be a for year old or something crazy

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

My first comic was a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #6. It's the first appearance of The Lizard, and it's as Lee/Ditko as any comic has ever been. In hindsight, it was a solid place to start.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ordered a Conan trade from Amazon, this is going to be my first time reading the character!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Ordered a Conan trade from Amazon, this is going to be my first time reading the character!

Old school or the Buisek versions of the original Howard stories?

Eitherway, I highly suggest getting a collection of the Howard stories, they're amazing pulpy fun. Just be prepared for decade appropriate misogyny and racism.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

Eitherway, I highly suggest getting a collection of the Howard stories, they're amazing pulpy fun. Just be prepared for decade appropriate misogyny and racism.

I really like the Dark Horse comics, the big omnibuses they're putting out. No qualifications needed. Which I think is a point in their favor compared to the originals

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/theshrillest/status/971979121101193216

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17097726/netflix-rob-liefeld-extreme-universe-comics-akiva-goldsman-movies-adapations

quote:

The deal gives Netflix movie rights to six of Liefeld’s titles: Brigade, Bloodstrike, Cybrid, Re-Gex, Bloodwulf, and Kaboom.

There's some actually famous books from there, what about...?

quote:

Netflix will draw on that franchise for its movies, although some of the other more popular Extreme books, including Youngblood, Supreme, Glory, and Prophet aren’t mentioned as being part of Netflix’s buy, making it unclear if the streaming service will be able to adapt those characters as well.

oh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

YAHOO!!!! YABBA DABBA DOOM!!!! WHATTA RUSH!!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Soonmot posted:

It's a collection of The Savage Sword of Conan and it says the script is by Roy Thomas. The exact issues are:

Savage Sword of Conan #26, #27, #46, #201, #47, #48, #49, #50, #51 and #52

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They also bought the rights to Obama's.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Obama's Extreme Universe?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Obama's Extreme Universe?

Jack Shadowknife is a man on the edge. He's the best drat drone pilot in the country. Every issue he gets a new mission, and every time he terminates his target, and some people nearby, with extreme prejudice. Then he gets dinner at Applebees. As Shadowknife's bodycount rises, can he deal with his greatest foe; elevated blood pressure?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the pages of Jack Shadowknife, Vixen Bloooood is the youngest drone pilot in the country. But what will she do when it turns out her assigned target is actually a children's hospital? Nothing it's fine, no one cares.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

It's a collection of The Savage Sword of Conan and it says the script is by Roy Thomas. The exact issues are:

Savage Sword of Conan #26, #27, #46, #201, #47, #48, #49, #50, #51 and #52

Savage sword is the loving best. You’re gonna like it.

I actually am coming around on Thomas a bit. After the Yellowjacket saga his writing seems to be getting a bit better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Daily Beast did a long piece about Stan Lee's situation. It's not good.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/picked-apart-by-vultures-the-last-days-of-stan-lee

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ran into something kind of interesting yesterday. Check out the difference between the coloring for Marvel Comics #1 on Marvel Unlimited and the coloring for the Omnibus:

(Marvel Unlimited)

(Golden Age Omnibus)

The reprint scanned into Marvel Unlimited has totally different coloring! And it's even more significant in the Submariner story:

(Marvel Unlimited)

(Golden Age Omnibus)

Apparently there was a huge problem with the color separation on the original printing of the comic and it seems like in the omnibus the colorist did their best to recreate the intent of the original colorist while in the reprint scanned for Marvel Unlimited they just went, "Eh, just kind of do something close to that. Also, don't color Namor differently." It's almost like that Unlimited version was scanned in and then not cleaned up very well since the crosshatching used in the Namor story is almost completely lost.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish they weren't so afraid to preserve the original printing, warts and all. Just hi-rez scans of paper. Rough texture, four-colour dots, bleeding over the lines. You're already looking at something old and funky. The kids are under no illusion that it's a modern comic if you clean it up.

This stuff being lost to time is kind of a big deal.
https://4cp.posthaven.com/in-defense-of-dots-the-lost-art-of-comic-book

I'd love to see someone in the big two put their foot down. Even if complete preservation only comes in niche, expensive 'archive' editions, or whatever.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think you greatly overestimate the condition of those old prints.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I think you greatly overestimate the condition of those old prints.

Especially golden age comics where the acid hasn't just yellowed them, it's a dark brown.

I've got a lot of problems with how recoloring old comics is often done in reprints and the one scanned for Marvel Unlimited is a good example of how this goes poorly. That seems to be a rush job by someone going off of a scan of the old book, making general guesses, and then recoloring Namor because they didn't understand the intent of the original coloring. The Golden Age Omnibus seems to be trying to make the book look like how it should have appeared in 1939 if the printing hadn't smeared everything together.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Comic, y'all!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't kinkshame

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vincent posted:

Comic, y'all!

Sounds scientifically accurate to me

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Isn't "proto-bird" just a dinosaur anyway?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

Isn't "proto-bird" just a dinosaur anyway?

Presumably it would be something that showed more bird characteristics than dinosaur characteristics. Remember that only Theropods evolved into birds anyway, most dinosaurs either evolved into other dinosaurs or died out

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up, Amazon is doing a Marvel digital sale and Tom King's Vision series is $.99 for the entire thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Goddamn

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is literally one of the best comics I've ever read and there's no excuse to skip it for a buck.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anything else really good? I have a few from when they did that promotion where if you bought real comics they let you get some free digital trades, so I already got Vision through that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a pretty random selection of comics. Outside of the normal stuff I would actually recommend the first two volumes of The 'Nam, a Vietnam war comic that had issues written by Larry Hama.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Complete Geoff Johns Avengers! ;)

The Robinson/ACO Nick Fury is a nice and complete newer miniseries with bananas art.
I got Z'darski's Spider-Man, Tomb of Dracula and Horror magazine collection

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 12, 2018

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I can't pinpoint the first comic I bought. I had been given some before but these ones stand out as the ones I bought with my own money.

I had sorta read God Loves Man Kills (I think a friend's older brother had it as I was probably too young) so when I saw the X-men on the stand I had to get it. It was one of these..

It was kinda frustrating as a kid because the spinner racks at the grocery store either wouldn't get monthly issues regularly or would be sold out of the one by the time I got to it so there were usually huge gaps in my collection. Also the closest comic shop was the stereotypical nerd shop with run by this metal dude who definitely didn't like kids in his store. My neighbor's older brother would get weird poo poo like Yummy Fur and some other super violent stuff.

The grocery store by my grandparents beach house sold those three packs of comics. This is where I was introduced to Batman's greatest foe.

I believe I also got an issue of Swamp Thing in one of those three packs...

and it scared the poo poo out of me. I was only 9 or so. Pretty sure mom took that one and threw it away. When I was reading Saga of the Swamp Thing many years later that issue was a nostalgia gut punch.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

Head's up, Amazon is doing a Marvel digital sale and Tom King's Vision series is $.99 for the entire thing.

Holy poo poo, loving finally, I can't beli-

:bang:

Wait, wait a minute...

it's Kindle and Comixology

Now we're playing :c00lbert:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Between the complete Marvel Mangaverse, Geoff Johns' Avengers, and Joe Quesada's Iron Man, I think I have enough bad comics for a while.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Holy poo poo, loving finally, I can't beli-

:bang:

Wait, wait a minute...

it's Kindle and Comixology

Now we're playing :c00lbert:

In America there really isn't a point of making a distinction. Although an annoying thing is that if you buy something on Amazon you get it on Comixology but not the other way around.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I've been seeing a lot of cool posts about Gabby and Laura in All-New Wolverine and I'd like to read some of it, but I'm definitely not going all the way back to Wolverine, Death of Wolverine, Aftermath, and Wolverines. Am I going to miss enough that would be just better to not read or can I jump in?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Samuringa posted:

I've been seeing a lot of cool posts about Gabby and Laura in All-New Wolverine and I'd like to read some of it, but I'm definitely not going all the way back to Wolverine, Death of Wolverine, Aftermath, and Wolverines. Am I going to miss enough that would be just better to not read or can I jump in?

You can just start with ANW and be fine. Gabby isn't introduced until a little ways into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I know people ask about age-appropriate comics a lot, but I tutor a lot of ESL kids and want to recommend some kid-friendly reading for some (think around 10–13). Vocabulary is the biggest hurdle for them; I think visual context will really help. I credit comics for building mine up when I was young, but I've got no idea what's safe for kids anymore. I see Jeff Smith's Shazam books and Supergirl in the seventh grade tossed around a lot; is Spider-Man Adventures still in print? Is American Born Chinese okay for that age range?

• Locked thread